APC vs FF lenses

Started Mar 23, 2013 | Discussions
thumperGA
New MemberPosts: 12
Like?
APC vs FF lenses
Mar 23, 2013

Ok so I have an a77 and love it . I'm currently using some mid-grade lenses. My plan is to buy a FF a9x in about 2 years. Between now and then I want to upgrade my glass. Id like to be able to use it on both the A77 and what ever full frame i end up buying. Is there any guide that tells you what lenses are compatible w a77/and what ever the current FF would be ( a99 at the moment)

thanks in advance

Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Bruce Oudekerk
Senior MemberPosts: 2,636Gear list
Like?
Re: APC vs FF lenses
In reply to thumperGA, Mar 23, 2013

thumperGA wrote:

Ok so I have an a77 and love it . I'm currently using some mid-grade lenses. My plan is to buy a FF a9x in about 2 years. Between now and then I want to upgrade my glass. Id like to be able to use it on both the A77 and what ever full frame i end up buying. Is there any guide that tells you what lenses are compatible w a77/and what ever the current FF would be ( a99 at the moment)

thanks in advance

Dyxum.com

Bruce

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
robert614
Senior MemberPosts: 1,128
Like?

thumperGA wrote:

thanks in advance

With Sony lenses,any lens with "DT" in the model name is designed for APS-C bodies.All other lenses are compatible with full frame.

For older Minolta and 3rd party lenses,check Dyxum.com.They have almost every alpha compatible lens listed there.It's a great resource.

Robert

phaedin
Senior MemberPosts: 1,074Gear list
Like?

Different manufacturers have different designations for their APS-C only lenses.

Sony uses DT and Sigma uses DC

Dyxum.com is a really good resource to check out Alpha mount lenses

phaedin's gear list:phaedin's gear list
Nikon D7100 Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD
fzrTom
Regular MemberPosts: 261Gear list
Like?

Take a look here and select Full frame lenses only

http://www.mhohner.de/sony-minolta/lenses.php

Anyway DT lenses are APSC only.

Clayton1985
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,807
Like?
In reply to thumperGA, Mar 24, 2013

Many of the better online stores have an option to search for full frame or APS-C lenses.  I like the B&H search engine but I think Adorama and several others have this option as well.   This will give you an idea of current pricing but it won't give you info for all of the older discontinued lenses.  As others have suggested you can go to dyxum for those.

I would recommend being careful about buying FF lenses now.  Some lenses are better suited than others to use on both APS-C and FF.  You don't want to spend two years with a focal length or range that doesn't work for you.  Just be sure the lens will work for you on both APS-C and FF or otherwise wait until you upgrade.

garypaul1256
Regular MemberPosts: 136Gear list
Like?
In reply to Clayton1985, Mar 24, 2013

Full frame lenses will work on your A77 and any ASP-C body but ASP-C lenses won't work on Full Frame bodies.

garypaul1256's gear list:garypaul1256's gear list
Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A57 Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro Sony DT 50mm F1.8 SAM
Clayton1985
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,807
Like?
In reply to garypaul1256, Mar 24, 2013

APS-C lenses will work on FF with the expected limitations.

Bruce Oudekerk
Senior MemberPosts: 2,636Gear list
Like?
In reply to Clayton1985, Mar 26, 2013

Clayton1985 wrote:

Actually there can be some unexpected NON-limitations.

When an OEM lens is used, typically the FF camera (a850-a900, anyway) crops the image to APS-C …BUT…apparently some or all aftermarket APS-C lenses DO NOT auto crop unless it is set up that way in the menu sub-system.

For example my Sony 18-250 auto-crops no matter what but the similar Tamron 18-250 does not.  That initially irritated me when I first got my a850 but its just a fact of life now.  I presume the a99 is similar. When using these non-cropping aftermarket lenses vignetting might or might not occur at any given focal length.

What still irritates me is that the tiny APS-C crop marks on the viewfinder in the a850 and a900 are worthless to me as real world usable guides.  Again I don’t lknow how the a00 handles this but it should be able to magnify that APS-C image to fill the EVF.  ….should:)  I'd be interested to find out.

Bruce

Edward Sargent
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,197Gear list
Like?
In reply to Bruce Oudekerk, Mar 27, 2013

Bruce Oudekerk wrote:

Clayton1985 wrote:

Actually there can be some unexpected NON-limitations.

When an OEM lens is used, typically the FF camera (a850-a900, anyway) crops the image to APS-C …BUT…apparently some or all aftermarket APS-C lenses DO NOT auto crop unless it is set up that way in the menu sub-system.

For example my Sony 18-250 auto-crops no matter what but the similar Tamron 18-250 does not.  That initially irritated me when I first got my a850 but its just a fact of life now.  I presume the a99 is similar. When using these non-cropping aftermarket lenses vignetting might or might not occur at any given focal length.

What still irritates me is that the tiny APS-C crop marks on the viewfinder in the a850 and a900 are worthless to me as real world usable guides.  Again I don’t lknow how the a00 handles this but it should be able to magnify that APS-C image to fill the EVF.  ….should:)  I'd be interested to find out.

Bruce

A99 auto crops Sony lenses in EVF, LCD and Image file however Sigma and I presume others do not most be selected as APS

-- hide signature --

Sarge
A99| A77| A700
8mm Bower|14 mm Samyang|Sony 28-75 & 70-300 G|
Minolta 35-70 & 50mm 1.7| 90mm Tamron|
Sigma 18-250 70-200 & 50-500
Albums at www.sony-snapper.com

Edward Sargent's gear list:Edward Sargent's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H9 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-QX10 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99 +25 more
Brian_Smith
Senior MemberPosts: 1,269
Like?
In reply to fzrTom, Mar 27, 2013

+1 FF

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads