Can someone help?New to fuji x100. Is this flare?

Started Mar 23, 2013 | Discussions
famous amos
Junior MemberPosts: 32
Like?
Can someone help?New to fuji x100. Is this flare?
Mar 23, 2013

Hello, I just picked up a used copy of the x100 at a bargain price from amazon. I love this camera! It is so simple and convenient to carry around! I am a micro four thirds user, but the past week I have had the camera, I have picked up my fuji x100 more than I have picked up my micro four thirds gear.

However, I do have a question. I am seeing a strong haze when shooting in sunlight that isn't even strong. I do not know if this is flaring. I have yet to try a lens hood. However, even without a lens hood, I have not seen this in any of my micro four thirds or canon gear. I am still learning, and wondering what could be causing this problem. Any advice is much appreciated.

I have attached two photos with examples. I get this hazing/flaring(?) even at 5PM when the sun is setting.

Fujifilm FinePix X100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
mbb101
Junior MemberPosts: 39
Like?
Re: Can someone help?New to fuji x100. Is this flare?
In reply to famous amos, Mar 23, 2013

overexposure- you're shooting wide open. The leaf shutter has a limit of 1/1000 wide open. Either shoot at f5.6 or engage the ND filter and this will be fine

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
famous amos
Like?
In reply to mbb101, Mar 23, 2013

I had the ND filter on. I shot in aperture priority and exposure seemed to be correct, but that is what I got.

Vic Chapman
Senior MemberPosts: 2,234Gear list
Like?

Shooting into the sun will usually get you some flare - shooting into a low sun will get you even more. If the sun is just out of frame make sure to use a lens hood. I would expect to get this sort of flare in the same conditions using my Nikon D300/D700 and Nikon primes.

-- hide signature --

The sky is full of holes that let the rain get in, the holes are very small - that's why the rain is thin.
Spike Milligan

Vic Chapman's gear list:Vic Chapman's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +13 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

The top image has flare from the sun in the upper left side of the frame.

Both images are overexposed. The cyan sky color is typical of color twisting due to pulling the highlights down.

I suggest you:

remove any lens filters

acquire a lens hood

think of the camera's meter as an estimate or a guide; from this starting point adjust the exposure using your experience and knowledge; you are smarter than the meter/auto exposure ssystem

automatically bracket exposures so you can gain more experience

make sure  sure you  the exposure compensation dial  is initially set to zero

wchutt's gear list:wchutt's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +20 more
Contributing MemberPosts: 885Gear list
Like?
In reply to wchutt, Mar 24, 2013

wchutt wrote:

I suggest you:

remove any lens filters

acquire a lens hood

think of the camera's meter as an estimate or a guide; from this starting point adjust the exposure using your experience and knowledge; you are smarter than the meter/auto exposure ssystem

make sure sure you the exposure compensation dial is initially set to zero

x1

Try using your hand as a lens hood.

Good advise on using the auto bracket feature. It'll really help nail down exposure problems.

congrats for choosing a fine camera and getting a good deal on it!

94's gear list:94's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-Pro1 +22 more
hellocrowley
Senior MemberPosts: 1,197
Like?
In reply to famous amos, Mar 24, 2013

The X100 does flare easier, some considers it "beautiful". Here is a comparison between it and the Leica X2.

RhysM
Senior MemberPosts: 1,876
Like?

Did you shoot this in RAW?

I've just had a little play in photoshop and improved the image, it's not perfect but then i'm working from a compressed 1600 x 1000 JPEG.

The JPEG engine on the X100 is very good, i am suspecting you shot this in RAW and haven't post processed the image properly.

PeterPrism
Senior MemberPosts: 1,057Gear list
Like?

wchutt wrote:

Both images are overexposed. The cyan sky color is typical of color twisting due to pulling the highlights down.

I suggest you:

remove any lens filters

acquire a lens hood

I agree 100%, +1

PeterPrism's gear list:PeterPrism's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro
PeterPrism
Like?
In reply to RhysM, Mar 24, 2013

and this is my contribution

Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro
famous amos
Like?
In reply to PeterPrism, Mar 24, 2013

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3051825#forum-post-39163678

I am having the same exact problem as the OP in that forum, he just described the problem a lot better than I did. His thread was from 2011 though. Was this a widespread problem that was recorded since the time of that thread? Or is this user error on my part?

Here the problem is again indoors. The first was taken with the x100, the second was taken with my OMD.

I'm really sorry for the label. It was my girlfriend who placed that label on my cologne. I know it isn't rated "G/PG" so please feel free to remove the picture if it is inappropriate Mr/Ms. Admin. I really didn't want to use those pics and should have chosen a different subject for my tests, but I was originally only going to use them for myself. But they portray the problem very well.

famous amos
Like?

I'm looking at the exif data that is shown when I put my cursor over the x100 pic and it says that the shutter speed is "10/520". I don't know what that means, but I know it was slightly lower than the OMD's shutter speed which was 1/125. I wanted to test both camera/lenses wide open. I don't know why it is being recorded as 10/520. Is that the same as 1/52? Should I have done the test at the same aperture?

PeterPrism
Like?

famous amos wrote:

I'm looking at the exif data that is shown when I put my cursor over the x100 pic and it says that the shutter speed is "10/520". I don't know what that means, but I know it was slightly lower than the OMD's shutter speed which was 1/125. I wanted to test both camera/lenses wide open. I don't know why it is being recorded as 10/520. Is that the same as 1/52? Should I have done the test at the same aperture?

Excuse but have you tried to clean the lens?

famous amos
Like?

It is completely clean. That was what I thought at first too. Is there a chance that there is light leaking through as was mentioned in the other thread?

PeterPrism
Like?

famous amos wrote:

It is completely clean. That was what I thought at first too. Is there a chance that there is light leaking through as was mentioned in the other thread?

Sorry but at this point I think you have a total loss of sharpness even in lighting conditions "standard". I think there are real problems of the camera/lens ...

famous amos
Like?

wchutt wrote:

I suggest you:

remove any lens filters

acquire a lens hood

Thank you very much for your suggestions. I will be trying a lens hood this week, just placed an order for the aftermarket one that everyone seems to be getting. I did not have any lens filters on when taking those photos. For the outdoor pics, I DID have the ND filter function on though, which was what I meant in the previous post.

PeterPrism
Like?

famous amos wrote:

wchutt wrote:

I suggest you:

remove any lens filters

acquire a lens hood

Thank you very much for your suggestions. I will be trying a lens hood this week, just placed an order for the aftermarket one that everyone seems to be getting. I did not have any lens filters on when taking those photos. For the outdoor pics, I DID have the ND filter function on though, which was what I meant in the previous post.

Sorry but at this point I think you have a total loss of sharpness even in lighting conditions "standard". I think there are real problems of the camera/lens ...

Simon Elwell
Regular MemberPosts: 286Gear list
Like?

Ideally - yes - you should have used the same shutter speed and aperture and iso if you want to make a direct comparison between cameras.

Having said that - I've found that the X100 doesn't cope brilliantly with shooting into bright light sources

Simon Elwell's gear list:Simon Elwell's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-Pro1 Leica Macro-Elmar-M 90mm f/4 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +2 more
famous amos
Like?

PeterPrism wrote:

famous amos wrote:

I'm starting to think so too. I initially thought it was user error because the other half of my outdoor pics were perfectly exposed with really pretty fuji colors. I love those photos. But the other half came out like that--a strange haze/flare/veil.

I knew the price was too good to be true. I got the camera from amazon warehouse deals at a bargain price. Seems like they just quickly glanced at the camera to see if there were scratches, thought nothing was wrong, marked it as "like new", and resold it to me.

I guess if I really want the fuji experience, I should buy a new x100s with a full warranty just in case something like this happens...

I initially had the x-e1 with 18-55mm and 35mm and absolutely loved the photos that came out of it, but thought the AF was horrible. I could not justify spending $2000 at the time on the cameras. Then I saw this wonderful bargain x100 and thought "I could totally live with the slow AF/startup time at that pricepoint ". If the x100s's AF is as fast as the OMD's, I will take a closer look at it. I will wait for more reviews of the x100s if this x100 turns out to be a lemon, but I really hope that I could keep this x100!

Joachim Gerstl
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,554Gear list
Like?

Do you use a filter?

-- hide signature --
 Joachim Gerstl's gear list:Joachim Gerstl's gear list
Ricoh GR Canon EOS 6D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +15 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads