14 mm for California Coast Trip?

Started Mar 23, 2013 | Discussions
LKJR
Regular MemberPosts: 139Gear list
Like?
14 mm for California Coast Trip?
Mar 23, 2013

Driving the California Coast in early May...taking my Xpro 1 and 35 and 18-55.

Will I regret not having a 14mm and tripod?

Im hoping the 55-200 will be out too..pother wise I'll have to lug my D7000 and 70-200 with me too!!!!

Thanks in advance

i put out a somewhat similar post in the general forum.  Hope that's ok..

Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
pkincy
Contributing MemberPosts: 798
Like?
Re: 14 mm for California Coast Trip?
In reply to LKJR, Mar 23, 2013

Somehow, I feel limited this week with my X100 (with WCL) and my XPro1 with the 35 mm.   So yes, something wider than 18 mm (and likely less wide than my Samyang) is a very useful lens.

I am trying to wait out the Zeiss 12 mm availability, but as it is vaporware so far, and the 14mm so good, I may quit waiting soon.

-- hide signature --

X100; WCL-100
XPro1; 60mm Macro, 35mm f1.4
XE1; 18-55 Zoom, Samyang 8 mm

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
brudy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,459Gear list
Like?

I'd definitely get the 14 if you like dramatic sea scapes. I'd miss a wide more than longer for the California coast. But that depends on what you like to shoot as well.

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/photos/brudy

brudy's gear list:brudy's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha 7R
itairom
Regular MemberPosts: 430
Like?

Depends what you like to shoot. As someone who enjoys shooting seascapes along the California coast, I personally wouldn't be without something wider than 18mm...

Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,384Gear list
Like?

18mm is just not wide enough for dramatic landscapes as well as architechural shots.  Something like. A 14mm fuji, which is considered a superb lens is a great addition to your set. I wouldn't be happy without a super wide lens, in my case it is a 15mm Voigtlander but the 14mm is a better choice. 12mm Zeiss might be even better but it does not exist yet And will likely cost more than the fuji

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
Mr Gadget
Senior MemberPosts: 1,846
Like?

I would definately want to be to the wide side. I seriously doubt that you can score the 55-200 in early May, that is the time that it is scheduled to be released and I would suspect a high demand. So if you are taking the D7000, do you have the 12-24? if so that would work as well.

Having said that, the 14 mm really looks like a great lens....

-- hide signature --

Conrad
---------------------------------------------------
Show Low, Arizona

Astrophotographer 10
Senior MemberPosts: 4,729Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mr Gadget, Mar 23, 2013

I just got the 14mm on fiday. I have the Nikon 14-24. It matches this lens and gives slightly better colour and contrast. Its amazing.

I would recommend it in a heartbeat.

But I have to say you do have the option with either your 18-55 or 35mm (I have these also) of using sweep panorama function (35mm would be best as its so sharp) and taking panos of widefield views. My only reservation on that technique is the low res output of the final file. But its a great way to take panos and so fast.

You can also do 3 sweeps one above the other a bit and stitch those together to get a super panorama.

So you choices there if you don't want to get the 14.

But that 14mm is a dream lens for widefield and another home run for Fuji. Very impressive Fuji!

The Fuji lenses alone are a great reason to buy into the X mount system.

Greg.

LKJR
Like?
In reply to Astrophotographer 10, Mar 23, 2013

Yea-I love my 35 and 60...even the 18-55 rocks!

I was thinking about the panorama mode. I ve played a little with it once in the past...

Looks like the 14 mm is very nice ...just choking on the cost right now....the 10-24 wont be available for this trip but what do you think it will retail for when it comes out?  Might be better to wait for that lens rather than the 14?

Allen Chernack
Senior MemberPosts: 1,309Gear list
Like?
In reply to LKJR, Mar 24, 2013

The California coast can be shot with what you have but, wider is better for sure and what you have is not really wide.  There are many dramatic places that you will want to have wider like the 14.

Tripod is optional but supposed to help get shake free photos. I shoot hand held 99% of time.

-- hide signature --

tourretired
Travel in RV when not home.

Allen Chernack's gear list:Allen Chernack's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX30V Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1
mr moonlight
Senior MemberPosts: 1,588
Like?
In reply to Allen Chernack, Mar 24, 2013

I've done that drive many many times in whole and in part. Most of the scenery can be spotted from your car, but make sure not to miss the waterfall at Julia Pfieffer. (Not sure if I spelled it right) You have to walk in a bit to see it, but at high tide it drops right into the ocean. Just make sure you budget enough time for a number of side trips. Salt Point a ways past SF is also one of my favorite spots besides the usual, but it's one of many.

As for what lens. I'd be happy with the 18mm and auto-stitch. A 14mm would definitely be nice to have although you still may not find it wide enough. Either way, with all the grand vistas, you'll probably regret not having it if you decide to pass on it.

LKJR
Like?
In reply to mr moonlight, Mar 24, 2013

mr moonlight wrote:

I've done that drive many many times in whole and in part. Most of the scenery can be spotted from your car, but make sure not to miss the waterfall at Julia Pfieffer. (Not sure if I spelled it right) You have to walk in a bit to see it, but at high tide it drops right into the ocean. Just make sure you budget enough time for a number of side trips. Salt Point a ways past SF is also one of my favorite spots besides the usual, but it's one of many.

Do you think its doable in 2 days or is that pushing things...I will be solo, so no kids etc to slow me down...

Thanks so much for the recommendations!

Efner
Forum MemberPosts: 61Gear list
Like?

LKJR wrote:

Driving the California Coast in early May...taking my Xpro 1 and 35 and 18-55.

Will I regret not having a 14mm and tripod?

Im hoping the 55-200 will be out too..pother wise I'll have to lug my D7000 and 70-200 with me too!!!!

Thanks in advance

i put out a somewhat similar post in the general forum. Hope that's ok..

Defiantly take a tripod.

I have a XE-1 ,18-55,and the 14mm.

Both lenses are great,but to get the most out of any lens I recommend a good tripod.

I bought a Gitzo 1542 and  think it's a GREAT product that well worth the investment.

Efner's gear list:Efner's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR Nikon D750
Mr Gadget
Senior MemberPosts: 1,846
Like?

LKJR wrote:

mr moonlight wrote:

Do you think its doable in 2 days or is that pushing things...I will be solo, so no kids etc to slow me down...

Where are you starting from and ending? LA to SF? doable in two days at that time of the year, much later and there is too much traffic. If you are considering going north of SF, which I highly recommend then I would allow more time, and if you can continue up the coast to Seattle. Oregon's coast is truely remarkable!

-- hide signature --

Conrad
---------------------------------------------------
Show Low, Arizona

mr moonlight
Senior MemberPosts: 1,588
Like?

LKJR wrote:

mr moonlight wrote:

Depends on how far your going. The trip of LA to San Francisco (You'll start on the 101 up through Santa Barbara before hitting the 1) takes about 11 hours with regular rests and grabbing a bit to eat, but not including any real stops. You'll probably want to go past San Francisco so you can at least hit up the oyster farms and don't forget to take a quick detour to Sanoma or the Russian River Valley. If I only had one chance to do it, I'd prefer a week to do it. Big Sur, Wine Country, San Francisco, Santa Cruz, Pt Reys, Marin headlands, I could go on and on. If you just take one major detour and 1 nice long day hike, I'd budget at least 3 days if you skip time in San Francisco. 2 would be a bit rushed and it's not that sort of thing.

If you're renting a car, don't even think twice about it. get the convertible.

flbrit
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,125Gear list
Like?

The 21mm FOV on Full Frame is more useful(in my landscape shots) than wider. I own the Nikon 16-35mm f4 and the Zeiss 21 mm f2.8. I got the Zeiss after looking at my best landscape wide angle shots because that was the focal length I used the most. Not to say I do not use 16mm, I do, but nowhere near as much and often. Also the wider shots are mostly not 'pure' landscape.

So when I got the X-E1 and 18-55, I had no hesitation in ordering the 14mm at the same time. Not quite up there with the D800e Zeiss 21 combo but close enough.

One issue I find with landscape is that if they are shot much wider than 21mm (14mm Fujifilm) distant/and not so distant objects tend to flatten caused by perspective.

I took a week on that trip 2 years ago so with that experience, I can say buy the 14mm.

-- hide signature --

Brian

flbrit's gear list:flbrit's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Sony Alpha 7 II Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads