Started Mar 23, 2013 | Discussions
johnny_rico
Contributing MemberPosts: 835
Like?
Full Frame - Mike Svitek
Mar 23, 2013

Can this guy be believed?

https://twitter.com/svitekphotos

I'm about to buy a FF cam and will hold off for a limited period of time if it's true!

Johnny

leopold
Forum ProPosts: 12,743Gear list
Like?
Re: Full Frame - Mike Svitek
In reply to johnny_rico, Mar 23, 2013

Just saw that also .... will have to wait and see if it's true !!!

leopold's gear list:leopold's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
liviutza
Regular MemberPosts: 465Gear list
Like?
In reply to leopold, Mar 23, 2013

I believe if anyone would be testing a potential Pentax camera these days that'd be Japan, not some country in Europe... I suppose a FF Pentax may be coming, but really doubt the link.

joseluismx
Contributing MemberPosts: 512Gear list
Like?

According to asahiman, the K-3 will be an APS-C camera. If you want FF, you'll have to go elsewhere.

joseluismx's gear list:joseluismx's gear list
Pentax K-5 II Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +6 more
neo_nights
Senior MemberPosts: 1,007Gear list
Like?
In reply to liviutza, Mar 23, 2013

liviutza wrote:

I believe if anyone would be testing a potential Pentax camera these days that'd be Japan, not some country in Europe... I suppose a FF Pentax may be coming, but really doubt the link.

Not sure I agree with that.

Perhaps in a smaller, less populated, country/state/city, the camera can go more unnoticed than if it was being tested in Japan or other big center. Which means less chance of leaking information and such.

And who is to say that there's no one in Japan (or US) testing the camera also?

We'll have to wait. Although he didn't say that it was a Fullframe, did he? He only said "testing the K3" (which could very well be an APS-C).

-- hide signature --

I'm lazy to post my pics here. So you can look at them here:
www.zenfolio.com/neonights
Or you can look at older stuff here:
www.flickr.com/photos/neonights

neo_nights's gear list:neo_nights's gear list
Pentax K20D Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Pentax K-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO +7 more
James O'Neill
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,939
Like?

johnny_rico wrote:

I'm about to buy a FF cam and will hold off for a limited period of time if it's true!

Johnny

He didn't say FF , just that he was testing a K3. He's a Pentax guy and he's influential, so they may have lent him one. If launch is just round the corner there will be samples with the press and so on.

But if he wasn't bound by an NDA I'd be astonished, and posting even a scaled down pic with not-quite final firmware would ensure he'd never get anything of the kind again. And loan models won't be going to that region any time soon.

Wait and see if the tweet is deleted. More likely to be true if it is.

LensBeginner
Regular MemberPosts: 368Gear list
Like?

I'm inclined to call B***$*** on this one...

metadata have been stripped bare, but maybe that's just Twitter - something I'm not familiar with.

...or secrecy, who knows.

...or BS, as I said.

LensBeginner's gear list:LensBeginner's gear list
Pentax K100D Super Pentax K-01 Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR +1 more
Cane
Senior MemberPosts: 4,530
Like?
In reply to LensBeginner, Mar 23, 2013

One would think that if Pentax is so secret about upcoming products, when they hand them out to people to test, they'd have a little contract clause that says, "hey, don't mention this on twitter". Otherwise, all their secrecy is pointless and they would just say when interviewed themselves,"yes we are making a k-3 blah blah blah".

ccd
ccd
Regular MemberPosts: 370
Like?
In reply to Cane, Mar 23, 2013

He also posted this info on his Google+ page....

Mike Svitek
Mar 20, 2013 -
Public
Testing out the new Pentax K-# HDSLR [ WINK WINK... NUDGE NUDGE ] with the Pentax 77mm Limited Prime lens ... 1/500s f/11 ISO25600 Custom WB
Contrast has been increased and image was cropped+downsized in DarkTable.
Now that all the formalities are out of the way... I love the tones, the dynamic range is amazing, and the resolution (while being too high for my taste) has its advantages when clearing up some noise. With the combo of the new sensor and processor, there is very little noise to clean up in the first place. It only starts showing up visibly at around ISO6400 (becoming obvious here at 25,600 and pretty bad at the extended range of 102,400) ... As I already stated, this camera sits between its competitors with the D800 and the D4 or the 5D Mrk.3 and the 1DX ... Somewhere between the two classes of each manufacturer.
Sadly, I have to give it back tomorrow... It was a fun ride while it lasted...

Then this photo was posted below those comments:

ccd
ccd
Regular MemberPosts: 370
Like?
In reply to ccd, Mar 23, 2013

joseluismx
Like?
Pentax K-5 II Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +6 more
joseluismx
Like?

What got me thinking, is that he's comparing the K-3 to FF cameras. On another post, he does it again.

"I can't wait to see how many new people this will bring in. Pentax users have been on a very slow decline since 2003 when they killed the K1 concept for the second time... 2013/2014 is the time to strike back! Move over Canikons! 
P.S. ... Happy Pentax Day! (Camera store in my town is holding a Pentax Day today for no reason... We'll get to see what the 560mm looks like mounted on the Q10 ... I may even bring in my 250-600mm to make the sight even more ridiculous XD"

Here's the full thread:

https://plus.google.com/109859150130478662888/posts/38szYDDfJCt

Model Mike
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,131Gear list
Like?

Neither the vid I saw, nor his portfolio, nor the way his tongue wags, suggest he's the kind of photographer a manufacturer would let loose with a new product before the official launch.

IMO either he 'borrowed' one, or made it all up.

-- hide signature --
Model Mike
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,131Gear list
Like?
In reply to LensBeginner, Mar 23, 2013

LensBeginner wrote:

metadata have been stripped bare, but maybe that's just Twitter - something I'm not familiar with.

There's no metadata in the supposed K-3 image on his G+ account - and G+ does not strip out metadata. Looks increasingly like a sad hoax.

-- hide signature --
smertz
Regular MemberPosts: 350
Like?
In reply to Model Mike, Mar 24, 2013

Model Mike wrote:

Neither the vid I saw, nor his portfolio, nor the way his tongue wags, suggest he's the kind of photographer a manufacturer would let loose with a new product before the official launch.

IMO either he 'borrowed' one, or made it all up.

Yes, my feelings exactly. His bravado didn't correspond at all with the mediocre photographs on his website. Unless he knows someone (and he could), I cannot see any reason for him to be a product tester. I'm sure that he had to use the camera under an NDA, and to go public with such revealing information can invite hassles and blacklisting for a long time thereafter.

I hope I'm wrong, but my guess is that he both needs a lot of attention and made stuff up to impress someone.

SmertZ

djrocks66
Senior MemberPosts: 1,107Gear list
Like?
In reply to joseluismx, Mar 24, 2013

He did say it is FF in his G+ comments. " Same sensor as D600 and A99 "

I don't believe him though.

djrocks66's gear list:djrocks66's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +10 more
awaldram
Forum ProPosts: 10,803Gear list
Like?
In reply to johnny_rico, Mar 24, 2013

johnny_rico wrote:

Johnny

Oh let me think, coming up to Aprils FOOLS day and more suckers in Pentax land for a FF hoax than anywhere els on the planet.

Yep I;m convinced it's real I mean why would anyone make up on such a serious subject.

Naaaah.

awaldram's gear list:awaldram's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +11 more
miles green
Senior MemberPosts: 3,713Gear list
Like?
In reply to neo_nights, Mar 26, 2013

neo_nights wrote:

liviutza wrote:

I believe if anyone would be testing a potential Pentax camera these days that'd be Japan, not some country in Europe... I suppose a FF Pentax may be coming, but really doubt the link.

Perhaps in a smaller, less populated, country/state/city, the camera can go more unnoticed than if it was being tested in Japan or other big center. Which means less chance of leaking information and such.

Excellent point! I don't know of any other Pentaxians on this island (Corfu). I'd be happy to test one, and nobody will notice!

We'll have to wait. Although he didn't say that it was a Fullframe, did he? He only said "testing the K3" (which could very well be an APS-C).

I think he said it has the D600 sensor.

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Pentaxian with chronic LBA
Corfu, Greece

miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +9 more
Cane
Senior MemberPosts: 4,530
Like?
In reply to miles green, Mar 26, 2013

neo_nights wrote:

liviutza wrote:

Excellent point! I don't know of any other Pentaxians on this island (Corfu). I'd be happy to test one, and nobody will notice!

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Corfu, Greece

I live in the third largest city in America, and mine is the only Pentax I've ever seen. I could test one here and nobody would care.

miles green
Senior MemberPosts: 3,713Gear list
Like?
In reply to Cane, Mar 26, 2013

Cane wrote:

neo_nights wrote:

liviutza wrote:

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Corfu, Greece

I live in the third largest city in America, and mine is the only Pentax I've ever seen. I could test one here and nobody would care.

I'm just hoping Pentax will send me a K3 for a few months! 

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Corfu, Greece

miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads