HS50 settings

Started Mar 23, 2013 | Discussions
jcmarfilph
Senior MemberPosts: 7,322Gear list
Like?
HS50 settings
Mar 23, 2013

So I recently acquired my HS50 and have been playing around with its settings (I missed the quickie buttons) and I am somehow adjusting to Q button and menus of this cam.

With my first outing with the cam (see Red alert... red alert!) I did use the same settings I have for my HS30. Note that there maybe some slight changes as I progress with this cam.

I normally shoot wildlife so here I am using C-Mode with these settings:

Static/Semi Static critters

C-Mode set to Aperture-Priority (Go to Aperture Priority mode then save to C-Settings)

ISO = Auto 400 (shoot first on this then if the critter stays shoot on lower-ISO) 
DR = Auto 
EV = -0.33 now at 0.

Aperture = F/2.8 (it will become f/5.6 on the long end automatically and vice-versa) 
Image Size = L 4:3 RAW 
Image Quality = Fine 
Film Simulation = Velvia/Vivid 
Color=Mid 
Sharpness=Standard 
Tone=Standard 
File format = RAW+JPEG 
Noise Reduction = Low 
Intelligent Sharpness = Off 
Face Detection = Off 
Face Recognition = Off

Image Stabilization Mode = Continuous IS 
AF Illuminator = On 
EVF/LCD Mode = 50 60 fps now.
Quick Start Mode Power Saving - High Performance Mode = On

Continuous Shot Mode at 5 frames/s

Photometry(Metering) = Spot 
White Balance = Auto 
AF-Mode = Center 
Focusing = AF-Single

LCD on Best Framing (RO3 guide)

For Bird-in-flight or other flying critter

Shutter-Priority Mode

Shutter speed = 1/1000s

Focusing = Continuous

For Macro

Aperture or Program Mode

Flash ON for insects and other critters under shade

To achieve Maximum magnification/Shallow DOF set the focal length to 150-160mm TBD (EFL) and lens at 3-5 TBD inches away

For Low-light

EXR-SN or PAS mode

ISO=Auto ISO1600 
Image Size = M 4:3 
DR = DR100 
Film Simulation = Standard 
Noise Reduction=Low 
Sharpness=Standard

For General purpose type of shooting like events

Program Mode

ISO=Auto ISO400 
DR = DR400 
Noise Reduction=Low 
Sharpness=Standard

Notes:

• If you want extra resolution shoot in L-Size and set DR to Auto, File-type to RAW and PP it. After careful post-processing, resize it down to 50-75% (depending on the quality of the shot).

• I am using Silkypix to PP my RAW files but sometimes especially on macro mode, JPEG is more than enough.

Here is screenie of my default SilkyPix settings

-=[ Joms ]=-

jcmarfilph's gear list:jcmarfilph's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +1 more
tom1234567
Regular MemberPosts: 253Gear list
Like?
Re: HS50 settings
In reply to jcmarfilph, Mar 23, 2013

jcmarfilph wrote:

So I recently acquired my HS50 and have been playing around with its settings (I missed the quickie buttons) and I am somehow adjusting to Q button and menus of this cam.

With my first outing with the cam (see Red alert... red alert!) I did use the same settings I have for my HS30. Note that there maybe some slight changes as I progress with this cam.

C-Mode set to Aperture-Priority (Go to Aperture Priority mode then save to C-Settings)

ISO = Auto 400 (shoot first on this then if the critter stays shoot on lower-ISO)
DR = Auto
EV = -0.33 now at 0.

Aperture = F/2.8 (it will become f/5.6 on the long end automatically and vice-versa)
Image Quality = Fine
Color=Mid
Sharpness=Standard
Tone=Standard
File format = RAW+JPEG
Noise Reduction = Low
Face Detection = Off
Face Recognition = Off

AF Illuminator = On
EVF/LCD Mode = 50 60 fps now.
Quick Start Mode Power Saving - High Performance Mode = On

White Balance = Auto
AF-Mode = Center
Focusing = AF-Single

Shutter-Priority Mode

Shutter speed = 1/1000s

Focusing = Continuous

For Macro

Aperture or Program Mode

To achieve Maximum magnification/Shallow DOF set the focal length to 150-160mm TBD (EFL) and lens at 3-5 TBD inches away

For Low-light

EXR-SN or PAS mode

ISO=Auto ISO1600
DR = DR100
Noise Reduction=Low
Sharpness=Standard

Program Mode

ISO=Auto ISO400
DR = DR400
Noise Reduction=Low
Sharpness=Standard

Notes:

• If you want extra resolution shoot in L-Size and set DR to Auto, File-type to RAW and PP it. After careful post-processing, resize it down to 50-75% (depending on the quality of the shot).

• I am using Silkypix to PP my RAW files but sometimes especially on macro mode, JPEG is more than enough.

-=[ Joms ]=-

Just want to say Thank You jcmarfilph  for posting the settings will try these

Cheers Tom G

-- hide signature --

I'm a 30yr old trapped in a 62yr old body

tom1234567's gear list:tom1234567's gear list
Pentax K-3
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MitchyK7
Regular MemberPosts: 131
Like?
In reply to tom1234567, Mar 23, 2013

Thanks for these settings joms, i will try them out. Will help me with these little flitters;

tom1234567
Like?
In reply to MitchyK7, Mar 23, 2013

MitchyK7 wrote:

Thanks for these settings joms, i will try them out. Will help me with these little flitters;

MitchyK7

Nice Photo

Tom G

-- hide signature --

Pentax K-3
jcmarfilph
Like?
In reply to MitchyK7, Mar 23, 2013

MitchyK7 wrote:

No problem!

Such a lovely photo. I will definitely run this thru some micro-constrasting and NR and resize it down to 12MP with USM.

-=[ Joms ]=-

Tim39
Senior MemberPosts: 2,853
Like?

If only all HS cams had come with a guide like this...

-- hide signature --

Tim

jcmarfilph
Like?
In reply to Tim39, Mar 23, 2013

Tim39 wrote:

If only all HS cams had come with a guide like this...

-- hide signature --

Tim

Fuji cam should come with predefined preset like this.

-=[ Joms ]=-

470LTZ
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?

Thanks Joms…you are making it harder for me not to order one of these and learn how to shoot Fuji!!! Thanks for the torture…lol...

How about a link to HS50 Manual anyone have or can drop box one?

Ralph McKenzie
Senior MemberPosts: 1,647Gear list
Like?
In reply to 470LTZ, Mar 23, 2013

Joms :

You are using an EXR camera in standard mode and while some of the EXR functionality is still available - DR400% for example, you and others still seem to insist on doing this.

The EXR sensor is designed to be used with the EXR processing on-board.  I have yet to see anyone produce a photo with the EXR cameras that is better shot in standard modes as opposed to a properly shot EXR mode. Also I have yet to see it proved that shooting RAW with these cameras gives you a significant improvement in image quality compared to the Jpeg.

Raw shot with the F series is definitely better, but I've never seen anyone shoot Raw with an HS camera that has proved to be worth all the extra PP work needed, especially in light of the lack of RAW processing in mainstream software, which Silky definitely isn't.

Forget about the massive zoom, use the lens atlow/mid range zoom and a RAW only & Jpeg only and lets see how they look SOOC and no processing. Shoot one  series using the standard ( your current settings) and one using the EXR settings at the same image size and a series in EXR DR mode. Lets see what the camera can really do, because what I'm seeing from everyone here so far and yes I know you are all new to the camera ( but not new to EXR cameras) is very little if any improvement in image quality and if we are to believe Fuji in their claim the IQ is improved then we aren't seeing it to date.

It will be interesting to compare Dave Lloyds images once he has a bit more of a handle on the camera.

-- hide signature --

Love dat Fuji
http://akiwiretrospective.wordpress.com/
Fuji HS20EXR
Fuji HS10,
Pentax K1000, Pentax sf7, Pentax zx-50

Ralph McKenzie's gear list:Ralph McKenzie's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR
Tim39
Like?
In reply to 470LTZ, Mar 23, 2013

470LTZ wrote:

Thanks Joms…you are making it harder for me not to order one of these and learn how to shoot Fuji!!! Thanks for the torture…lol...

Any torture that Joms doesn't intend is purely gratis and just a happy collateral benefit of communication.

If he can incite you into ordering one, and your experience can persuade you into keeping it, that'll be game, set and match for me.

-- hide signature --

Tim

Tim39
Like?
In reply to Ralph McKenzie, Mar 23, 2013

Ralph McKenzie wrote:

Joms :

You are using an EXR camera in standard mode and while some of the EXR functionality is still available - DR400% for example, you and others still seem to insist on doing this.

The EXR sensor is designed to be used with the EXR processing on-board. I have yet to see anyone produce a photo with the EXR cameras that is better shot in standard modes as opposed to a properly shot EXR mode. Also I have yet to see it proved that shooting RAW with these cameras gives you a significant improvement in image quality compared to the Jpeg.

Raw shot with the F series is definitely better, but I've never seen anyone shoot Raw with an HS camera that has proved to be worth all the extra PP work needed, especially in light of the lack of RAW processing in mainstream software, which Silky definitely isn't.

Forget about the massive zoom, use the lens atlow/mid range zoom and a RAW only & Jpeg only and lets see how they look SOOC and no processing. Shoot one series using the standard ( your current settings) and one using the EXR settings at the same image size and a series in EXR DR mode. Lets see what the camera can really do, because what I'm seeing from everyone here so far and yes I know you are all new to the camera ( but not new to EXR cameras) is very little if any improvement in image quality and if we are to believe Fuji in their claim the IQ is improved then we aren't seeing it to date.

Seriously good points, Ralph.  They have to be dealt with before there can be any kind of reasonable consensus on this camera.  I think there are substantive improvements with the 50, but my eye, at least,  doesn't see them influencing the images shown.

Haven't heard or seen Dave in what seems like eons.  Really miss that guy.  Presuming he's well and prospering (photographically speaking).

It will be interesting to compare Dave Lloyds images once he has a bit more of a handle on the camera.

-- hide signature --

Love dat Fuji
Fuji HS20EXR
Fuji HS10,

-- hide signature --

Tim

painterdude
Senior MemberPosts: 2,784Gear list
Like?

have to generally agree with what you write ..After all my fooling around with settings ..in general ..shooting a EXR cam in its  duh EXR modes wound up being the fail safe fall back setting for me (though I still like messing with L and varied settings ) .

Most of the shots on my site listed below were shot with fuji EXR cams in EXR mode..DR EXR being a fav. I never shot RAW though Dave L did ..and was able at times to get better stuff from some shots via RAW pping  hence he generally shot RAW+jpeg . He has a HS50 now. If there is a person I listen to on EXR cams ..its Dave so keep tuned. He may post here I dunno ..

His  HS series shots  blow away anyone elses I have seen re quality (artistic & tech merit)  IMHO. While some were washing the HS10 down the drain as a Fuji debacle (as I heard it claimed here) , he was slamming killer shot after killer shot from the same cam. He just worked the settings and found the capabilities of the cam.

anywhoo..

all the best

g

painterdude's gear list:painterdude's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Nikon D90 Nikon D800E
tom1234567
Like?
In reply to Tim39, Mar 23, 2013

Tim39 wrote:

470LTZ wrote:

Any torture that Joms doesn't intend is purely gratis and just a happy collateral benefit of communication.

If he can incite you into ordering one, and your experience can persuade you into keeping it, that'll be game, set and match for me.

-- hide signature --

Tim

Hi there try this link for Manual when page opens scroll to bottom and click on HS50

http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/manuals/#s

Tom G

-- hide signature --

Pentax K-3
Bassy
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,782
Like?

hi joms  i enjoy reading your findings what ever they may be,   you bring life into the threads

i just wish i had zoomed in a bit more  with my canon sx50

i know you like birds flying  so have a look if you wish

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/1010

and the gracefull swans with my g1x

click on original and then click again

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/51145068

jcmarfilph
Like?

Ralph McKenzie wrote:

Joms :

EXR is for DR only (which is very achievable using RAW) and don't force yourself to cripple your cam into a half-resolution camera.

The EXR sensor is designed to be used with the EXR processing on-board. I have yet to see anyone produce a photo with the EXR cameras that is better shot in standard modes as opposed to a properly shot EXR mode. Also I have yet to see it proved that shooting RAW with these cameras gives you a significant improvement in image quality compared to the Jpeg.

Can you guess which is which? You'll gonna need tons of PP to justify the advantage of MSize DR400 over LSize DR100 here. L-Size has advantage in resolution and shooting in RAW will double that plus the DR advantage of M Size can be surpassed in RAW.

Raw shot with the F series is definitely better, but I've never seen anyone shoot Raw with an HS camera that has proved to be worth all the extra PP work needed, especially in light of the lack of RAW processing in mainstream software, which Silky definitely isn't.

You have an HS20, try it.

Forget about the massive zoom, use the lens atlow/mid range zoom and a RAW only & Jpeg only and lets see how they look SOOC and no processing. Shoot one series using the standard ( your current settings) and one using the EXR settings at the same image size and a series in EXR DR mode. Lets see what the camera can really do, because what I'm seeing from everyone here so far and yes I know you are all new to the camera ( but not new to EXR cameras) is very little if any improvement in image quality and if we are to believe Fuji in their claim the IQ is improved then we aren't seeing it to date.

See my samples above. Deep also posted side-by-side comparison using HS50 in my last thread

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/51120281

Kim just bit his tongue and cannot explain why L-Size stomped the M size in resolution and sharpness.

Dave is a RAW shooter too so lets see.

-- hide signature --

Love dat Fuji
Fuji HS20EXR
Fuji HS10,

-- hide signature --

-=[ Joms ]=-

Wellington100
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,478Gear list
Like?

I came up with an outdoor daylight Black and White setting for EXR cameras which is:

S/N mode, ISO100, B&W, -1EV and lift the shadows in PP to bring out the tones that you want.

Try it on the HS50 in strong sunlight especially and I bet you will get both great contrast and as much tone in PP as you can handle.

I shoot this in jpeg on my F300 and even then it works very well I think.

jcmarfilph wrote:

With my first outing with the cam (see Red alert... red alert!) I did use the same settings I have for my HS30. Note that there maybe some slight changes as I progress with this cam.

DR = Auto
EV = -0.33 now at 0.

Image Quality = Fine
Color=Mid
Sharpness=Standard
Tone=Standard
File format = RAW+JPEG
Noise Reduction = Low
Face Detection = Off
Face Recognition = Off

AF Illuminator = On

White Balance = Auto
AF-Mode = Center
Focusing = AF-Single

Shutter-Priority Mode

Shutter speed = 1/1000s

Focusing = Continuous

For Macro

Aperture or Program Mode

To achieve Maximum magnification/Shallow DOF set the focal length to 150-160mm TBD (EFL) and lens at 3-5 TBD inches away

For Low-light

EXR-SN or PAS mode

ISO=Auto ISO1600
DR = DR100
Noise Reduction=Low
Sharpness=Standard

Program Mode

ISO=Auto ISO400
DR = DR400
Noise Reduction=Low
Sharpness=Standard

Notes:

-=[ Joms ]=-

-- hide signature --

Doctors are bad for your lifestyle.

jcmarfilph
Like?
In reply to Wellington100, Mar 24, 2013

Wellington100 wrote:

I came up with an outdoor daylight Black and White setting for EXR cameras which is:

S/N mode, ISO100, B&W, -1EV and lift the shadows in PP to bring out the tones that you want.

Try it on the HS50 in strong sunlight especially and I bet you will get both great contrast and as much tone in PP as you can handle.

Since you've done tremendous amount of PP in JPEG, why not do it in RAW? See my samples above, upsampled M size cannot match the LSize in resolution. DR difference is almost nil and is only visible if you will pull down the highlight and lift the shadows. Again I can do it easily with L size too and much better in RAW.

jcmarfilph wrote:

DR = Auto
EV = -0.33 now at 0.

Image Quality = Fine
Color=Mid
Sharpness=Standard
Tone=Standard
File format = RAW+JPEG
Noise Reduction = Low
Face Detection = Off
Face Recognition = Off

AF Illuminator = On

White Balance = Auto
AF-Mode = Center
Focusing = AF-Single

Shutter-Priority Mode

Shutter speed = 1/1000s

Focusing = Continuous

For Macro

Aperture or Program Mode

For Low-light

EXR-SN or PAS mode

ISO=Auto ISO1600
DR = DR100
Noise Reduction=Low
Sharpness=Standard

Program Mode

ISO=Auto ISO400
DR = DR400
Noise Reduction=Low
Sharpness=Standard

Notes:

-=[ Joms ]=-

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

-=[ Joms ]=-

jcmarfilph
Like?
In reply to Bassy, Mar 24, 2013

Bassy wrote:

hi joms i enjoy reading your findings what ever they may be, you bring life into the threads

i just wish i had zoomed in a bit more with my canon sx50

i know you like birds flying so have a look if you wish

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/1010

and the gracefull swans with my g1x

click on original and then click again

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/51145068

You have a lovely swan there. I would suggest to pull-down those blown highlights though. I am just sharing my knowledge and experience here so I am happy if someone will appreciate it and will benefit from it.

Cheers,

-=[ Joms ]=-

Wellington100
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,478Gear list
Like?
In reply to jcmarfilph, Mar 24, 2013

jcmarfilph wrote:

Wellington100 wrote:

Since you've done tremendous amount of PP in JPEG, why not do it in RAW? See my samples above, upsampled M size cannot match the LSize in resolution. DR difference is almost nil and is only visible if you will pull down the highlight and lift the shadows. Again I can do it easily with L size too and much better in RAW.

Well my F300 is pre RAW it has the old jpeg only firmware.

In my head I know I should be using RAW with my cameras but my jpegs are good enough for my screen needs but for quality stuff I intend to try soon, I will go FF Nikon and RAW I guess

jcmarfilph wrote:

DR = Auto
EV = -0.33 now at 0.

Image Quality = Fine
Color=Mid
Sharpness=Standard
Tone=Standard
File format = RAW+JPEG
Noise Reduction = Low
Face Detection = Off
Face Recognition = Off

AF Illuminator = On

White Balance = Auto
AF-Mode = Center
Focusing = AF-Single

Shutter-Priority Mode

Shutter speed = 1/1000s

Focusing = Continuous

For Macro

Aperture or Program Mode

For Low-light

EXR-SN or PAS mode

ISO=Auto ISO1600
DR = DR100
Noise Reduction=Low
Sharpness=Standard

Program Mode

ISO=Auto ISO400
DR = DR400
Noise Reduction=Low
Sharpness=Standard

Notes:

-=[ Joms ]=-

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

-=[ Joms ]=-

-- hide signature --

NOEL 100
Contributing MemberPosts: 654Gear list
Like?
Re: Have to agree.
In reply to Ralph McKenzie, Mar 24, 2013

I like others have C set up with the "recommended HS settings" and generally get good results. But I also use the auto modes on occasions when I feel the "preferred settings" are a bit restrictive. Auto modes can do a pretty good job when you haven't got the time to play around and I wouldn't discount them totally.

After a lot of playing around I've come to the conclusion that shooting RAW has little gain for me. JPEGs out of the 30 are really good enough for most of my needs and the added extra of PP RAW in one of the packages doesn't really return the value for effort factor. I'll also say that I've tweaked the odd JPEG when needed with good results but it's not an every day event.

Ralph you must just about have your finger on the buy button by now?

Must comment that I prefer Sharpness at hard it suits my personal taste, medium, just a bit soft for me especially at some of the longer shots.

-- hide signature --

Noel 100

NOEL 100's gear list:NOEL 100's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS30EXR Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-300mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads