Sigma's new lens testing 'A1' done on all lenses or only new ones?

Started Mar 23, 2013 | Discussions
nandadevieast
Regular MemberPosts: 400Gear list
Like?
Sigma's new lens testing 'A1' done on all lenses or only new ones?
Mar 23, 2013

Hi,

They said they are testing their lenses on A1, to ensure better focus accuracy.

Are all current lenses being manufactured going thru this process? Or only the few art/C lenses?

So lets say, the 85/1.4 testing is also done like that, or is it old process....

Any idea?

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner
Forum ProPosts: 18,350Gear list
Like?
Re: Sigma's new lens testing 'A1' done on all lenses or only new ones?
In reply to nandadevieast, Mar 23, 2013

nandadevieast wrote:

Hi,

They said they are testing their lenses on A1, to ensure better focus accuracy.

Are all current lenses being manufactured going thru this process? Or only the few art/C lenses?

So lets say, the 85/1.4 testing is also done like that, or is it old process....

Any idea?

It was unclear to me also, but I got the feeling that they were using the new process only on the newer lenses that also supported the USB dock.

The reason I was thinking that, is that I think they may be baking a fixed adjustment factor into the lens by default based on the results of factory testing.  At least that seems like a reasonable approach to me, I have no idea if that is being done or not - but the lenses could more easily have that ability with the more flexible firmware that was designed to have custom corrections built in.

 Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list:Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
nandadevieast
Regular MemberPosts: 400Gear list
Like?
Re: Sigma's new lens testing 'A1' done on all lenses or only new ones?
In reply to Kendall Helmstetter Gelner, Mar 25, 2013

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner wrote:

nandadevieast wrote:

Hi,

They said they are testing their lenses on A1, to ensure better focus accuracy.

Are all current lenses being manufactured going thru this process? Or only the few art/C lenses?

So lets say, the 85/1.4 testing is also done like that, or is it old process....

Any idea?

It was unclear to me also, but I got the feeling that they were using the new process only on the newer lenses that also supported the USB dock.

The reason I was thinking that, is that I think they may be baking a fixed adjustment factor into the lens by default based on the results of factory testing. At least that seems like a reasonable approach to me, I have no idea if that is being done or not - but the lenses could more easily have that ability with the more flexible firmware that was designed to have custom corrections built in.

Thanks. I also thought they are talking about new lenses.

Was interested in their 50 and 85, looks like it will be better to wait till they update these two.

anurag

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Kendall Helmstetter Gelner
Forum ProPosts: 18,350Gear list
Like?
Re: Sigma's new lens testing 'A1' done on all lenses or only new ones?
In reply to nandadevieast, Mar 25, 2013

nandadevieast wrote:

Thanks. I also thought they are talking about new lenses.

Was interested in their 50 and 85, looks like it will be better to wait till they update these two.

anurag

The 85mm needs no help from the new testing regime.  It's pretty well built already and delivers great results... and being fixed focal length is pretty easy to properly set a good microfocus adjustment if you need to (I did not need to on my SD-1).  Just because they have a more rigorous process in place does not mean they were not already building higher end lenses very carefully.

It is an awesome lens, well worth buying now...  I think it would be a while before they update it as it works pretty well already.

The 50 you may want to wait for an update, or buy a DP-3M which has lots of other benefits (like even more amazing sharpness and a sync speed of 1/2000).

 Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list:Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads