Windows 8

Started Mar 23, 2013 | Discussions
JulesJ
Forum ProPosts: 32,364
Like?
Windows 8
Mar 23, 2013

Apart from buying it with a new machine, is anyone going to bother to update their W7 machine with the new OS? I am not a fan of W7 and wish I stil had XP. Burning discs on 7 is a pain compared to on a Mac. Anyone tried 8 yet?

Jules

Leon Obers
Senior MemberPosts: 2,785
Like?
Re: Windows 8
In reply to JulesJ, Mar 23, 2013

JulesJ wrote:

Apart from buying it with a new machine, is anyone going to bother to update their W7 machine with the new OS? I am not a fan of W7 and wish I stil had XP. Burning discs on 7 is a pain compared to on a Mac. Anyone tried 8 yet?

Jules

Of-course many users already tried Windows 8 yet.
Me myself build a new PC and went directly to Windows 8. Previously my "main" computer was a XP-machine, and I liked that. Have a notebook with Vista, but I hate that.

Did personalized my Windows 8 PC, e.g. by installing an old styled Start-menu ( Classic Shell ). Don't use the metro page at all.
In one way W8 is a drag of a system. Some programs + system is about 60Gb
Inside a far out spread "puzzle" how the system is set. Seems I am a Beta tester by searching and installing to latest driver that give the best performance plus efficiency. But after that, I like it very much.
It is far better integration for hardware and software possibilities. Optimal energy and saving options. Very fast (using SSD).

-- hide signature --

Leon Obers

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rio911
Contributing MemberPosts: 890Gear list
Like?
Re: Windows 8
In reply to JulesJ, Mar 23, 2013

JulesJ wrote:

Apart from buying it with a new machine, is anyone going to bother to update their W7 machine with the new OS? I am not a fan of W7 and wish I stil had XP. Burning discs on 7 is a pain compared to on a Mac. Anyone tried 8 yet?

Jules

No, not yet.  I have tried it, but basically the metro page and not being able to have more than 1 window open are a deal breakers for me.

Unless I get a way from windows (i know there are third party solutions) to have more than 1 window open, I think I will skip W8.

rio

 rio911's gear list:rio911's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Archer66
Senior MemberPosts: 2,294
Like?
Re: Windows 8
In reply to rio911, Mar 23, 2013

rio911 wrote:

Unless I get a way from windows (i know there are third party solutions) to have more than 1 window open, I think I will skip W8.

Why would you need 3rd party solutions ???

Where do you get this misinformation ???

Win 8 has desktop like Win 7 has, just without Aero.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Doug R
Senior MemberPosts: 1,468
Like?
Re: Windows 8
In reply to rio911, Mar 23, 2013

Perhaps you should spend more than 3 seconds with a OS before you condemn it? Click the Desktop tile and open as many windows as you like. Put the Desktop tile in the upper left hand corner and just hit enter and get into the Desktop and open as many windows as you like. Install Classic Shell or Start8 and bypass metro and open as many windows as you like. Did I mention that you can open as many windowed applications as you like.

-- hide signature --

Doug

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
malch
Forum ProPosts: 10,436
Like?
Re: Windows 8
In reply to JulesJ, Mar 23, 2013

JulesJ wrote:

Apart from buying it with a new machine, is anyone going to bother to update their W7 machine with the new OS? I am not a fan of W7 and wish I stil had XP. Burning discs on 7 is a pain compared to on a Mac. Anyone tried 8 yet?

No plans to upgrade here.

What's the problem with burning disks on Win 7?

What kind of disks are you burning and what software are you using?

Methinks you need to look at ImgBurn, CDBurnerXP, or similar.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rio911
Contributing MemberPosts: 890Gear list
Like?
Re: Windows 8
In reply to Doug R, Mar 23, 2013

And maybe you should read my post again, before attempting to correct me.  I haven't tested the "classic shell" so I can't comment on that.  My post made a point of metro page and multiple windows together, not as a separate entity.  So when you manage to have multiple open windows on the "default" metro style windows, then please come back and let me know.

Thank you both for inputs,

rio

 rio911's gear list:rio911's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Simon Garrett
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,829Gear list
Like?
Re: Windows 8
In reply to Doug R, Mar 23, 2013

Doug R wrote:

Perhaps you should spend more than 3 seconds with a OS before you condemn it? Click the Desktop tile and open as many windows as you like. Put the Desktop tile in the upper left hand corner and just hit enter and get into the Desktop and open as many windows as you like. Install Classic Shell or Start8 and bypass metro and open as many windows as you like. Did I mention that you can open as many windowed applications as you like.

Well, I've spent a lot more than 3 seconds, and I still condemn it! It's OK, but it's not an improvement on W7.

I have W8 on one machine (and ran the previews extensively before that).  It offers very little not in W7.  Performance is marginally better.  The desktop is crippled unless you load Start8, Classic Shell or similar to restore the start menu and hide the Metro UI.  However, having got back a start menu and hidden the Metro interface (aka TIFKAM - The Interface Formerly Known As Metro), then Windows 8 is pretty much like W7 with a few features missing and little of value added. Usable, just irritating that Microsoft have taken such a foolish false step in the belief that they can force a one-size-fits-all interface on all devices.

In W8, you lose Aero, which I happened to like, also you lose desktop gadgets (no, Metro apps are no substitute).  Some other features have gone.  Instead you get the wholly useless Metro/TIFKAM, which is a bad match for a keyboard/mouse interface, and makes poor use of a large screen (i.e. anything larger than a smart phone or tablet).  They've also (in Metro) gone over to big, blocky, square icons in primary colours, sort of aping the look and feel of a 1980's low-res 16-colour display. Hey, Microsoft: they did it that way in the 80's because they hadn't the hardware to do it better, not because it looked cool.

They're also in their latest apps (so far in Office 2013 and in the latest Visual Studio) going over to ALL BLOCK CAPS IN MENUS, MESSAGES ETC.  Huh?  Now we're back to 1970's all-caps teletype machines.  Microsoft used to have a large highly-respected usability research team.  Have they fired them all, or just stopped listening to them?

Interestingly, Stardock, the company that makes the Start8 start menu restorer, has in beta some software to run Metro/TIFKAM apps in a normal desktop window (http://www.stardock.com/products/modernmix/).  What a pity Microsoft didn't have the wit to do it that way. That could have been a really powerful way of bridging PC/laptop/tablet/smartphone, and running tablet/smartphone apps on a PC/laptop.

Yes, W8 is perfectly useable.  No, it's no better than W7; on balance it's a bit worse, unless you're in the small minority that thinks Metro is cool.

-- hide signature --

Simon

 Simon Garrett's gear list:Simon Garrett's gear list
Nikon D800
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Simon Garrett
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,829Gear list
Like?
Re: Windows 8
In reply to rio911, Mar 23, 2013

rio911 wrote:

My post made a point of metro page and multiple windows together, not as a separate entity.

I completely agree with what you say, but interestingly Stardock are trialling a way of running metro apps in desktop windows - see http://www.stardock.com/products/modernmix/

-- hide signature --

Simon

 Simon Garrett's gear list:Simon Garrett's gear list
Nikon D800
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Karl Summers
Regular MemberPosts: 172Gear list
Like?
Re: Windows 8
In reply to JulesJ, Mar 23, 2013

JulesJ wrote:

Apart from buying it with a new machine, is anyone going to bother to update their W7 machine with the new OS? I am not a fan of W7 and wish I stil had XP. Burning discs on 7 is a pain compared to on a Mac. Anyone tried 8 yet?

Jules

I installed 8 on a brand new machine, still got 7 on two laptops with no plans to upgrade. I stopped burning discs a long time ago once I got Mp3 player and carry everything else on a thumb drive.

As far as 8 is concerned, I find the start screen a complete waste of time. I'm trying to figure out a way to bypass it altogether and go straight to desktop. Please let me know if you figure out how. Also, I have not had any compatibility problems with the software I used on Windows 7.

 Karl Summers's gear list:Karl Summers's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Nikon D610 Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rio911
Contributing MemberPosts: 890Gear list
Like?
Re: Windows 8
In reply to Simon Garrett, Mar 23, 2013

Simon Garrett wrote:

rio911 wrote:

My post made a point of metro page and multiple windows together, not as a separate entity.

I completely agree with what you say, but interestingly Stardock are trialling a way of running metro apps in desktop windows - see http://www.stardock.com/products/modernmix/

-- hide signature --

Simon

I know Simon, thanks for bringing it up, I have seen that before.  And as I said, it is just another hog on resources as a third party software.  Just having the metro and desktop styles, windows 8 needs double the resources from supporting a dual environment.

rio

 rio911's gear list:rio911's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jim Cockfield
Forum ProPosts: 14,484
Like?
Easy with third party apps
In reply to Karl Summers, Mar 23, 2013

Karl Summers wrote:

JulesJ wrote:

Apart from buying it with a new machine, is anyone going to bother to update their W7 machine with the new OS? I am not a fan of W7 and wish I stil had XP. Burning discs on 7 is a pain compared to on a Mac. Anyone tried 8 yet?

Jules

I installed 8 on a brand new machine, still got 7 on two laptops with no plans to upgrade. I stopped burning discs a long time ago once I got Mp3 player and carry everything else on a thumb drive.

As far as 8 is concerned, I find the start screen a complete waste of time. I'm trying to figure out a way to bypass it altogether and go straight to desktop. Please let me know if you figure out how.

Many of the third party launchers can be set to bypass the new style start screen entirely and give you a traditional style menu launcher back again with menu choices for shutdown, etc.

Free:

Classic Shell for Windows:

http://www.classicshell.net/

Article about it:

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/windows-8-classic-shell.html

In a commercial option, I'd look at RetroUI Pro ($4.95 for home use). It's got some interesting features, including the ability to run new style apps in a Window on your desktop:

http://retroui.com/retrouipro.asp

It seems to get very nice reviews when looking at articles comparing the available launchers for Windows 8.

You'll see some of the other popular options here. Just go backwards to see launchers like ViStart, Start8, etc.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/pictures-story/461-12-windows-7-windows-8-restore-start-menu-taskbar-Gadgets.html

If I were going to spend $5 on a commercial product (versus just using the free Classic Shell I mentioned above), I think I'd probably go with RetroUI Pro (to get some of the features it has like running new style apps in a Window on your desktop if desired, giving you a task bar when you are in the metro screens and more).

From what I can see looking at reviews and videos about it, RetroUI Pro seems to be the most advanced out of products like it.

The only one I've personally tried is ViStart (I used it when test driving the Windows 8 Consumer Preview).  But, some of the others that have been launched since the older version of ViStart I was using appear to be much better products, and if I installed Windows 8 on a PC (which is *very* unlikely unless I happened to buy a new PC with Win 8 already installed), I'd just spend $4.95 for RetroUI Pro

-- hide signature --

JimC
------

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RedFox88
Forum ProPosts: 21,619
Like?
Re: Windows 8
In reply to JulesJ, Mar 23, 2013

JulesJ wrote:

Burning discs on 7 is a pain compared to on a Mac.

Not sure what you are doing wrong if  you are finding burning discs a pain.  It's never been easier!  Burning discs on Vista or Win7 is simple.  You don't even need a stand alone program.  You just open a "windows writeable folder", drag your files in, then choose burn to disc.  Simple.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Karl Summers
Regular MemberPosts: 172Gear list
Like?
Re: Easy with third party apps
In reply to Jim Cockfield, Mar 23, 2013

Great info, thanks!

 Karl Summers's gear list:Karl Summers's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Nikon D610 Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Cliff Fujii
Senior MemberPosts: 2,464Gear list
Like?
Re: Windows 8
In reply to JulesJ, Mar 24, 2013

Yes, I did that last week.  I had a drive that filled up so I decided to put a bigger disk in and upgrade to Windows 8.  I purchased a Microsoft Surface Pro so that I can work on my images while I was on the road.  I have View NX2 and Photoshop CS6 installed to help me with my endeavors. I have sold my iPad and rely on the iPad Mini and the Surface Pro for my trips.  In fact, I'm considering leaving the iPad Mini at home because I didn't use it on my last trip.  The Surface works well with Office 365 (which you don't really need because the Surface Pro comes with excellent mail, calendar, and contacts apps.  I use a Kanex DualRole because I prefer wired eNet over Wi-Fi and it gives me three USB 3.0 ports instead of one port.  I take along a mini-display port to HDMI cable so that I can use the flat screen TV in the hotel room as a second monitor.  The wedge mouse and included digital pen works great when any retouching has to be done.

I started out by using Windows easy transfer to get my data and configuration files over to the external drive.  I use WHS 2011 so I backed up all of my images and downloads to WHS.

I then removed the disk and put in an Enterprise class 1TB drive into my desktop and installed windows 7.  I restored the files from Easy Transfer and reinstalled the applications and drivers.  I made sure that the Windows 7 was working properly and then I performed an upgrade installation of Windows 8.  The upgrade went smoothly and I've been very happy with the installation since.  I used 64bit drivers for my Konica-Minolta laser printer.  I had no issues with drivers.

I had to get used to no start button but after a few hours working with Windows 8, I didn't miss the start button at all.  My desktop has two 24" monitors that work well with Windows 8 including the ability to span multiple monitors.  The boot is very fast.

All in all, I'd say Windows 8 is a great OS.  It takes a bit of getting used to but once over the hump, it's a joy to use.

-- hide signature --

Cliff

 Cliff Fujii's gear list:Cliff Fujii's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon 1 V3 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +50 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
skyglider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,867Gear list
Like?
Re: Windows 8
In reply to Karl Summers, Mar 24, 2013

Karl Summers wrote:

I installed 8 on a brand new machine, still got 7 on two laptops with no plans to upgrade. I stopped burning discs a long time ago once I got Mp3 player and carry everything else on a thumb drive.

As far as 8 is concerned, I find the start screen a complete waste of time. I'm trying to figure out a way to bypass it altogether and go straight to desktop. Please let me know if you figure out how. Also, I have not had any compatibility problems with the software I used on Windows 7.

To add to Jim C's reply, if you want Win8 to behave like Win7, just install the free "Classic Shell" and then use the Classic Shell's option to "disable active corners".  Disabling active corners will prevent the annoying Win8 pop ups from affecting the desktop.  Classic Shell boots directly to the desktop and you never have to see the Metro interface at all.

That's how I configured my Win8 laptop and a Win8 tower for a friend.  Win8 then works like Win7.  Every program I had that worked on my Win7 tower works fine on my Win8 laptop.  That includes old software like MS Office 2000.  When I ran Win8's compatibility assistant on my laptop, it said that two software were not compatible.  But both work perfectly on Win8.  I'm convinced that any software that works in Win7 will work the same way in Win8.

Sky

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
skyglider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,867Gear list
Like?
Re: Windows 8
In reply to Simon Garrett, Mar 24, 2013

Simon Garrett wrote:

Well, I've spent a lot more than 3 seconds, and I still condemn it! It's OK, but it's not an improvement on W7.

I have W8 on one machine (and ran the previews extensively before that). It offers very little not in W7. Performance is marginally better. The desktop is crippled unless you load Start8, Classic Shell or similar to restore the start menu and hide the Metro UI. However, having got back a start menu and hidden the Metro interface (aka TIFKAM - The Interface Formerly Known As Metro), then Windows 8 is pretty much like W7 with a few features missing and little of value added. Usable, just irritating that Microsoft have taken such a foolish false step in the belief that they can force a one-size-fits-all interface on all devices.

In W8, you lose Aero, which I happened to like, also you lose desktop gadgets (no, Metro apps are no substitute). Some other features have gone. Instead you get the wholly useless Metro/TIFKAM, which is a bad match for a keyboard/mouse interface, and makes poor use of a large screen (i.e. anything larger than a smart phone or tablet). They've also (in Metro) gone over to big, blocky, square icons in primary colours, sort of aping the look and feel of a 1980's low-res 16-colour display. Hey, Microsoft: they did it that way in the 80's because they hadn't the hardware to do it better, not because it looked cool.

They're also in their latest apps (so far in Office 2013 and in the latest Visual Studio) going over to ALL BLOCK CAPS IN MENUS, MESSAGES ETC. Huh? Now we're back to 1970's all-caps teletype machines. Microsoft used to have a large highly-respected usability research team. Have they fired them all, or just stopped listening to them?

Interestingly, Stardock, the company that makes the Start8 start menu restorer, has in beta some software to run Metro/TIFKAM apps in a normal desktop window (http://www.stardock.com/products/modernmix/). What a pity Microsoft didn't have the wit to do it that way. That could have been a really powerful way of bridging PC/laptop/tablet/smartphone, and running tablet/smartphone apps on a PC/laptop.

Yes, W8 is perfectly useable. No, it's no better than W7; on balance it's a bit worse, unless you're in the small minority that thinks Metro is cool.

-- hide signature --

Simon

+1.  My thoughts exactly to the letter.

Sky

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BirgerH
Senior MemberPosts: 1,088Gear list
Like?
Re: Windows 8
In reply to rio911, Mar 24, 2013

rio911 wrote:

JulesJ wrote:

Apart from buying it with a new machine, is anyone going to bother to update their W7 machine with the new OS? I am not a fan of W7 and wish I stil had XP. Burning discs on 7 is a pain compared to on a Mac. Anyone tried 8 yet?

Jules

No, not yet. I have tried it, but basically the metro page and not being able to have more than 1 window open are a deal breakers for me.

You're rearly missing something.

In the Desktop-mode, you can run all your windows-programs, just as you are used to.

In Metro-mode you can run as many apps at the same time, as you want to, without closing them down, but every app takes the hole screen. You navigate between them from the left upper corner. I very seldom use the Metro-UI maybee later on I will.

With a Little $5 program, (Start8) you don't even have to start in Metro-UI.

And to JulesJ, yes i've tried to burn disc from Win8 - from the Desktop-UI and using Nero. No problems at all, don't remember any in Win7 either.

I liked Win7 - it was far better than Vista (and so was XP) and to me until then, the very best from MS ever. Win8 work even better, quicker and easier than Win7.

Theese are, of course my opinions, but that was what you asked for , I think.

Regards

BirgerH.

 BirgerH's gear list:BirgerH's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Tamron SP AF 11-18mm F/4.5-5.6 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JulesJ
Forum ProPosts: 32,364
Like?
Re: Windows 8
In reply to Simon Garrett, Mar 24, 2013

Simon Garrett wrote:

Doug R wrote:

Perhaps you should spend more than 3 seconds with a OS before you condemn it? Click the Desktop tile and open as many windows as you like. Put the Desktop tile in the upper left hand corner and just hit enter and get into the Desktop and open as many windows as you like. Install Classic Shell or Start8 and bypass metro and open as many windows as you like. Did I mention that you can open as many windowed applications as you like.

Well, I've spent a lot more than 3 seconds, and I still condemn it! It's OK, but it's not an improvement on W7.

I have W8 on one machine (and ran the previews extensively before that). It offers very little not in W7. Performance is marginally better. The desktop is crippled unless you load Start8, Classic Shell or similar to restore the start menu and hide the Metro UI. However, having got back a start menu and hidden the Metro interface (aka TIFKAM - The Interface Formerly Known As Metro), then Windows 8 is pretty much like W7 with a few features missing and little of value added. Usable, just irritating that Microsoft have taken such a foolish false step in the belief that they can force a one-size-fits-all interface on all devices.

In W8, you lose Aero, which I happened to like, also you lose desktop gadgets (no, Metro apps are no substitute). Some other features have gone. Instead you get the wholly useless Metro/TIFKAM, which is a bad match for a keyboard/mouse interface, and makes poor use of a large screen (i.e. anything larger than a smart phone or tablet). They've also (in Metro) gone over to big, blocky, square icons in primary colours, sort of aping the look and feel of a 1980's low-res 16-colour display. Hey, Microsoft: they did it that way in the 80's because they hadn't the hardware to do it better, not because it looked cool.

They're also in their latest apps (so far in Office 2013 and in the latest Visual Studio) going over to ALL BLOCK CAPS IN MENUS, MESSAGES ETC. Huh? Now we're back to 1970's all-caps teletype machines. Microsoft used to have a large highly-respected usability research team. Have they fired them all, or just stopped listening to them?

Interestingly, Stardock, the company that makes the Start8 start menu restorer, has in beta some software to run Metro/TIFKAM apps in a normal desktop window (http://www.stardock.com/products/modernmix/). What a pity Microsoft didn't have the wit to do it that way. That could have been a really powerful way of bridging PC/laptop/tablet/smartphone, and running tablet/smartphone apps on a PC/laptop.

Yes, W8 is perfectly useable. No, it's no better than W7; on balance it's a bit worse, unless you're in the small minority that thinks Metro is cool.

-- hide signature --

Simon

Relating to my OP, have you tried burning a USC? Is it still a pain that produces numerous grayed out files that you have to delete or they end up on the disc like in W7?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Leon Obers
Senior MemberPosts: 2,785
Like?
Re: Windows 8
In reply to skyglider, Mar 24, 2013

skyglider wrote:

just install the free "Classic Shell" and then use the Classic Shell's option to "disable active corners". Disabling active corners will prevent the annoying Win8 pop ups from affecting the desktop. Classic Shell boots directly to the desktop and you never have to see the Metro interface at all.

It is not necessary to "disable activate corners" for bypassing the Metro start-up.

I'm convinced that any software that works in Win7 will work the same way in Win8.

Even got 32 bit software working that was designed for about 10 years back.
The latest software update for that program was at 2007
But as that was not designed for "Microsoft Certified" programs, for installing you have to boot Win8 in another mode, to bypass the control of it. (Reboot by pushing Shift key at same time ----> you come to other boot options).

-- hide signature --

Leon Obers

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads