Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4 contemporary - Any further word?

Started Mar 23, 2013 | Discussions
kithg
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,190Gear list
Like?
Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4 contemporary - Any further word?
Mar 23, 2013

Anybody else have one of these and take pictures with it, or take more pictures, to those who have posted about it? I am really interested, and no way I'll get to handle one until well after the spring holiday season. Holiday shots with it, maybe? It would be great to see some people pictures and get an idea of skin tones and how it deals with flash and/or indoor lighting.

I know - I'm greedy! Thank you, if you have the time for this.

-- hide signature --
 kithg's gear list:kithg's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +4 more
nikkorwatcher
Contributing MemberPosts: 684
Like?
Re: Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4 contemporary - Any further word?
In reply to kithg, Mar 23, 2013

Changing white balance and post processing can alter the colour anyway. If the lens is like the 18-50 2.8-4.5 it will have a yellow cast because the predominant coating is cherry coloured. The 18-50 was bad in corners at 18mm. Sigma seem to design lenses to headline specs and performance is often dubious.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Brev00
Senior MemberPosts: 5,976Gear list
Like?

The lens is really just getting to the stores so I have seen few samples myself.  You could check out the new flickr group devoted to the lens:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/2194238@N22/pool/

Not too much there.  Patience is the order of the day. There are reviews up on DXOMark and Lenstip with DXOMark being the more positive.

Being a satisfied 17-70 os owner, I have had no problem with color casts.  While corners may not be as sharp as pro glass, I have had no issues and I shoot a lot of landscapes.  Of course, it is no issue at all for my primary type of photography with the lens:  selective focus with blurred backgrounds.  Also, being a satisfied owner, I am very interested in the possible improvements to what I consider an already excellent lens, especially for the money.

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/photos/brev00

Brev00's gear list:Brev00's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Macro +3 more
victorian squid
Senior MemberPosts: 2,164Gear list
Like?
Have you seen lenstip's review?

Sadly it looks to be quite disappointing - mostly on the short end. Love Sigma as I do, they still seem hit or miss on some things. It's a shame really, this looks to be a step backwards. Hopefully this could be an aberration, more reviews will tell I suppose.

http://www.lenstip.com/index.php?test=obiektywu&test_ob=366

victorian squid's gear list:victorian squid's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM +35 more
Brev00
Like?
Re: Have you seen lenstip's review?
In reply to victorian squid, Mar 23, 2013

Since I have the older model which they seem to prefer in many ways, I am not disappointed by this review at all.  Hypothetically, it saves me some money for an upgrade I do not have to consider.  But, that is just one review. But, it is from a website whose positive review of the earlier model did play a role in my selection.  So, I do have some respect for Lenstip.  It still remains to be seen not just by other lens reviews but also user reviews I consider as, if not more, important.  Fireplace33 has the lens and seems to be enjoying it.  If the review is on the money, I would not consider an upgrade.  I love using the wide side for landscapes and would not like to see more distortion and less sharpness there to improve the long end.  I use the long end a lot for selective focus, portraits and stuff that does not require edge-to-edge sharpness.

-- hide signature --

Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Macro +3 more
MAC
MAC
Forum ProPosts: 12,445Gear list
Like?
In reply to victorian squid, Mar 24, 2013

victorian squid wrote:

Sadly it looks to be quite disappointing - mostly on the short end. Love Sigma as I do, they still seem hit or miss on some things. It's a shame really, this looks to be a step backwards. Hopefully this could be an aberration, more reviews will tell I suppose.

http://www.lenstip.com/index.php?test=obiektywu&test_ob=366

not good

MAC's gear list:MAC's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +7 more
mabasa
Forum MemberPosts: 82Gear list
Like?
In reply to MAC, Mar 24, 2013

MAC wrote:

not good

What is not good? The review? The results?

MAC
MAC
Like?
In reply to mabasa, Mar 24, 2013

mabasa wrote:

MAC wrote:

not good

What is not good? The review? The results?

it is one of their new art lenses

they hit a home run with their 35 F1.4 art

this one may not measure up to their existing one -- time will tell - need to see more samples

the sigma 30 f1.4 art is next

we'll see

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +7 more
nikkorwatcher
Contributing MemberPosts: 684
Like?
In reply to mabasa, Mar 24, 2013

Oh, he means the results. Sigma seem to be designing these DX stabilised wide to shortest tele zooms the same- bad corners at wide end. The way to think of them is as a handy walk around lens, but consider the widest setting a bonus and not something to use as a dedicated landscape or architectural lens, because you'll be disappointed by the coma/ aberration in the corners.

kithg
Like?
In reply to Brev00, Mar 24, 2013

I know. According to that review, I could save some dollars by buying a used one of the original configuration. I am a little concerned about its weight. I guess I just have to watch and wait.

-- hide signature --
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +4 more
mabasa
Like?
In reply to MAC, Mar 24, 2013

MAC wrote:

this one may not measure up to their existing one -- time will tell - need to see more samples

we'll see

Actually, it is not. It's the contemporary series, so it's more like good value for a reasonable price. And it's a very difficult range to make sharp from wide to tele. I still expect this to be a little better than the predecessor like DxOMark suggests. It wasn't so bad in the review. Picture quality put aside, the review was a bit peculiar at times. The reviewer didn't understand why Sigma did this new version. Yeah, it's lighter but it is also a part of Sigma's modernization of their lenses and makes it compatible with their USB dock. And hopefully they have improved their quality control with these new lenses like they are advertising. That alone justifies a new version, I think.

Breidablick
Regular MemberPosts: 372Gear list
Like?
In reply to kithg, Mar 24, 2013

I am happy so far with it on the D7100 - the preview bug put aside. To avoid double posting: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3452526

Breidablick's gear list:Breidablick's gear list
Ricoh GR Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II +6 more
MAC
MAC
Like?
In reply to mabasa, Mar 26, 2013

mabasa wrote:

MAC wrote:

we'll see

Actually, it is not. It's the contemporary series, so it's more like good value for a reasonable price. And it's a very difficult range to make sharp from wide to tele. I still expect this to be a little better than the predecessor like DxOMark suggests. It wasn't so bad in the review. Picture quality put aside, the review was a bit peculiar at times. The reviewer didn't understand why Sigma did this new version. Yeah, it's lighter but it is also a part of Sigma's modernization of their lenses and makes it compatible with their USB dock. And hopefully they have improved their quality control with these new lenses like they are advertising. That alone justifies a new version, I think.

so far, my 15-85 looks better

mabasa
Like?
In reply to MAC, Mar 26, 2013

MAC wrote:

So you've had one of these? If not, how can you tell? There are not many systematic reviews comparing them both. This is one.

MAC
MAC
Like?
In reply to mabasa, Mar 27, 2013

mabasa wrote:

MAC wrote:

So you've had one of these? If not, how can you tell? There are not many systematic reviews comparing them both. This is one.

last I checked, the 17 isn't as wide as my 15

I'd be worried about the sigma's performance on both ends - old one compared below

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=675&Camera=736&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=0&LensComp=713&CameraComp=474&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=5&APIComp=0

mabasa
Like?
In reply to MAC, Mar 27, 2013

MAC wrote:one.

And F3.5-5.6 isn't as bright as F2.8-4. So it depends on what one is looking for.

I'd be worried about the sigma's performance on both ends - old one compared below

It's the old one with different optics so you really can't tell much based on that.

Brev00
Like?
In reply to MAC, Mar 27, 2013

MAC wrote:

mabasa wrote:

MAC wrote:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=675&Camera=736&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=0&LensComp=713&CameraComp=474&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=5&APIComp=0

To compare two different lenses, I think one should compare them over shared focal lengths at the same apertures with the understanding that one might be stopped down a bit more than the other.  If you look at the Canon and the Sigma at 24 and 50, I think you will find that the Sigma is usually sharper in the center, closer in the middle, and at times softer at the edges than the Canon.    I took a brief glance at f4-f8 and did not see any great superiority.  I did not look at longer fl's since that is supposed to be the Sigma's weak spot.  The fact that you are satisfied with your lens is great but I will keep my Sigma.  I kind of have to since I shoot Nikon.

-- hide signature --

schipp
Forum MemberPosts: 71Gear list
Like?
In reply to kithg, Mar 28, 2013

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Publications/DxOMark-Reviews/Sigma-17-70mm-f2.8-4-DC-Macro-OS-HSM-C-Canon-The-Above-Standard-Zoom

I ordered mine a few days ago, now the dock is delayed , but that can wait.Im a Nikon shooter and do not want to pay over €1000 for a good Nikon zoom (17-55), so will try this first.

schipp's gear list:schipp's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Nikon D610 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +2 more
2esetters
Senior MemberPosts: 1,590Gear list
Like?
In reply to kithg, Mar 29, 2013

I picked up a 17-70 Contemporary yesterday morning and took a few shots to mak sure it works.  Bought it becuse I wanted a little longer reach than my Canon 18-55, but it had to be a reasonabl cost.  Here's a post I made on the Canon SLR Lens Talk forum.  So far I like the lens.  Sharp enough, feels good on my T3, fast AF.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51176762

Here are a few wide open shots unedited - Av with various focal lengths.

f2.8 at 17 mm

f3.5 at 34mm

f4.0 at 53mm

f4.0 at 70mm

2esetters's gear list:2esetters's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 1100D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +1 more
kithg
Like?
In reply to 2esetters, Mar 29, 2013

Thanks very much, 2esetters. These are very interesting. This looks pretty good to me. I'm looking for a faster lens than my 18-200 VR, and this might just be it.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads