Batch process in Lightroom 4?

Started Mar 23, 2013 | Discussions
DebraR
Contributing MemberPosts: 858
Like?
Batch process in Lightroom 4?
Mar 23, 2013

Im just starting to look into using some of the Nik Software plug-ins in Lightroom. First one I want to try is Sharpener Pro. So far I like the results on individual pics but the process is really slow and I would love to be able to batch process, say, 20 shots at a time on or immediately after import into LR.

Does anyone use the combo for post processing or know how to batch process in Lightroom with Sharpener Pro?

Any insight would be great!

-- hide signature --

Debra
Nikon D700, D300, Hexar AF, D70, N90 Oly C-5050 and an UZI!

suddie1215
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,797Gear list
Like?
Re: Batch process in Lightroom 4?
In reply to DebraR, Mar 23, 2013

I don't get it.  Why would you want to use a third-party sharpener when Lightroom 4 comes with an excellent sharpening function?

The advantage of using Lightroom's sharpening is that it allows you to work directly on the raw data while a third party sharpener like Nik requires the file to be converted to a rasterized format like TIFF or PSD befor they can be processed.

DebraR wrote:

Im just starting to look into using some of the Nik Software plug-ins in Lightroom. First one I want to try is Sharpener Pro. So far I like the results on individual pics but the process is really slow and I would love to be able to batch process, say, 20 shots at a time on or immediately after import into LR.

Does anyone use the combo for post processing or know how to batch process in Lightroom with Sharpener Pro?

Any insight would be great!

-- hide signature --

Debra

suddie1215's gear list:suddie1215's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS M Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DebraR
Like?
In reply to suddie1215, Mar 23, 2013

I've used Lightroom's sharpening and noise reduction and I like them.  I tried Nik's and was able to get really great results, much better than those through LR.  Im not convinced I am going to use either exclusively but if I choose to edit a batch with Nik, I would really like to be able to do it as a group rather than one at a time.

-- hide signature --

Debra

suddie1215
Like?

You need to first set up Nik Sharpener Pro as an External Editor; please refer to page 9 of the User Guide:  http://download2.niksoftware.com/downloads/pdf/usa_guides/Sharpener_Pro_3.0_User_Guide.pdf

I aslo use Sharpener Pro and honestly I don't see the difference you're claiming over Lightroom's built-in sharpening.

DebraR wrote:

I've used Lightroom's sharpening and noise reduction and I like them. I tried Nik's and was able to get really great results, much better than those through LR. Im not convinced I am going to use either exclusively but if I choose to edit a batch with Nik, I would really like to be able to do it as a group rather than one at a time.

-- hide signature --

Debra

Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS M Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +11 more
DebraR
Like?
In reply to suddie1215, Mar 23, 2013

I did set it up as an external editor, but I am questioning how to batch process a group of similar photos.  It seems that you can only edit one at a time.  I am looking for an answer as to how to do a group  at a time.

Thanks.

suddie1215 wrote:

You need to first set up Nik Sharpener Pro as an External Editor; please refer to page 9 of the User Guide: http://download2.niksoftware.com/downloads/pdf/usa_guides/Sharpener_Pro_3.0_User_Guide.pdf

I aslo use Sharpener Pro and honestly I don't see the difference you're claiming over Lightroom's built-in sharpening.

DebraR wrote:

I've used Lightroom's sharpening and noise reduction and I like them. I tried Nik's and was able to get really great results, much better than those through LR. Im not convinced I am going to use either exclusively but if I choose to edit a batch with Nik, I would really like to be able to do it as a group rather than one at a time.

-- hide signature --

Debra

-- hide signature --

Debra

Mark K W
Senior MemberPosts: 1,024
Like?

DebraR wrote:

I did set it up as an external editor, but I am questioning how to batch process a group of similar photos. It seems that you can only edit one at a time. I am looking for an answer as to how to do a group at a time.

I haven't done masses of research of any fudges people have found, but from what I do know, I don't believe you can in a true batch none-interactive way.

You can select multiple image in Lightroom and in Lightroom menus select Edit in Sharpener Pro (and they will all now open in Sharpener Pro). You would then need to make a Sharpener Pro preset of your settings which you then manually select to apply to all of them in turn and then select Save All in Nik to close.

Something like above anyways... it reduces your need to set the sliders each time, but you still need to click every image to apply the preset.

I'm not aware of any other way except via action record and automate functions in Photoshop:

http://www.niksoftware.com/support/en/entry.php?view=faqs/shpanswers.shtml#batch

If there was a straightforward way for Lightroom, I would have thought Nik would have mentioned it in their FAQ above.

-- hide signature --
DebraR
Like?
In reply to Mark K W, Mar 23, 2013

Thanks Mark.  If I do edit one pic in Sharpener and save, is it possible to select the others (once back in LR) I want to process via sharpener (in a group) and do a "synch settings" in Lightroom?  Or does Lightroom not have the capability to synch an external editors program changes?

-- hide signature --

Debra

suddie1215
Like?

That's not the only thing you need to do; the link explains how to batch process multiple images in Sharpener Pro but it appears you didn't even bother to click it.

If you have Photoshop you can also create a droplet that invokes Sharpener Pro, then run the droplet after exporting multiple images from Lightroom using what Lightroom refers to as a Post-Processing Action.

DebraR wrote:

I did set it up as an external editor, but I am questioning how to batch process a group of similar photos. It seems that you can only edit one at a time. I am looking for an answer as to how to do a group at a time.

Thanks.

suddie1215 wrote:

You need to first set up Nik Sharpener Pro as an External Editor; please refer to page 9 of the User Guide: http://download2.niksoftware.com/downloads/pdf/usa_guides/Sharpener_Pro_3.0_User_Guide.pdf

DebraR wrote:

-- hide signature --

Debra

-- hide signature --

Debra

Mark K W
Senior MemberPosts: 1,024
Like?

DebraR wrote:

Thanks Mark. If I do edit one pic in Sharpener and save, is it possible to select the others (once back in LR) I want to process via sharpener (in a group) and do a "synch settings" in Lightroom? Or does Lightroom not have the capability to synch an external editors program changes

Sync in Lightroom synchronises Lightroom's own Develop Module adjustments across images. Lightroom knows nothing of what you did in any external plug-in such as Nik, so no - you cannot do it that way.

Try Lightroom sync to see what it does - select the image you want to synchronise from, and then select the ones you want to synchronise to, and when you press Sync you will get a dialogue window with check-boxes for which of Lightroom's adjustments you want to replicate from the source image to all those to be synched.

I have Sharpener Pro, but I only use it in my Photoshop workflow and I use it with masking for local sharpening. For global sharpening (i.e. over the whole image), I use Lightroom's own sharpening - it's good enough. You can easily sync Lightroom's own sharpening across images as per above.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads