Aperature or Lightroom?

Started Mar 22, 2013 | Questions
Rick Pringle another Canuk
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Aperature or Lightroom?
Mar 22, 2013

Just bought a 17" MBP with anti glare and plan to use it with mongst other things photography but alas I am just you average guy who drives up in The Yukon for a living. Question which is best Aperatue or Lightroom

Thanks

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Vernon Snider
Contributing MemberPosts: 838
Like?
Re: Aperature or Lightroom?
In reply to Rick Pringle another Canuk, Mar 23, 2013

Rick Pringle another Canuk wrote:

Just bought a 17" MBP with anti glare and plan to use it with mongst other things photography but alas I am just you average guy who drives up in The Yukon for a living. Question which is best Aperatue or Lightroom

Thanks

Just a friendly suggestion: do a search on this forum as I have dine in the past! There have been many threads on your question and the replies are helpful. Hope it helps you.

-- hide signature --

Vernon

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
CameraCarl
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,437Gear list
Like?

I'm a Lightroom user because I started using it when I had a Windows PC and continued using it when I bought a Mac four years ago.  This iMac has given me so much trouble that I could very well buy another Windows machine to replace it. You can't do this kind of platform shifting easily with Aperture whatever all of its benefits may be.

CameraCarl's gear list:CameraCarl's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS +1 more
Jacques Cornell
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,171Gear list
Like?

Aperture can share a library with iPhoto. So, if you're already using iPhoto, migrating to Aperture is pretty simple. Also, Aperture costs only $80.

As for which is "best", well, there are strong opinions on both sides, but the question simply defies a definitive answer. Both have advantages. I strongly prefer Aperture because of its very efficient and non-modal editing workflow. I shoot high-volume jobs and need to quickly edit and process hundreds, sometimes thousands of photos. For this, Aperture is superb. On the other hand, Lightroom has built-in lens correction and, apparently, better noise reduction.

-- hide signature --

'No matter where you go, there you are.'

Jacques Cornell's gear list:Jacques Cornell's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +27 more
graybalanced
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,094
Like?

I am just you average guy who drives up in The Yukon for a living.

While Aperture and Lightroom do a lot of the same things, since it sounds like you won't have professional needs you might pick Aperture because it costs so much less than Lightroom.

(I prefer Lightroom personally)

hariseldon2007
Regular MemberPosts: 117
Like?
In reply to graybalanced, Mar 24, 2013

I use both, I did not like the initial version of Lightroom and thus got Aperture.

On balance I prefer Lightroom, it's editing ,printing,  image processing , lens corrections and hugely superior noise reduction swing it for me. Aperture has better slideshows, books. Shares with iPhoto , photo streaming via iCloud , all quite useful.

neither choice would be wrong, if only one of the two program's existed then we would not be unhappy.

CarlC
Contributing MemberPosts: 969
Like?
In reply to Rick Pringle another Canuk, Apr 2, 2013

Thanks

First, nice selection on your MBP as that is exactly what I choose. I started with LR after Photoshop when it first came out, loved it.  After I got the MBP, I tried Aperature and loved it as well.  I think it is a bit easier for someone just starting only because of LRs catalog which is not exactly intuitive.   I have gone back to LR due to some of the editing features.  When Aperature comes out with an upgrade, I am sure I will try it.   We are lucky to have such nice chooses.

-- hide signature --
Sonyshine
Senior MemberPosts: 5,689Gear list
Like?
In reply to CarlC, Apr 2, 2013

If you are starting out I would suggest Aperture is easier and more intuitive to learn. I love it and find it does all I need both organising and editing very well - one tip - turn off face recognition as it wastes a lot of background resources.

Sonyshine's gear list:Sonyshine's gear list
Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-QX10 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 +6 more
davidrm
Senior MemberPosts: 1,349
Like?
In reply to Sonyshine, Apr 2, 2013

Lightroom is easier to spell, apparently.

(I remain amazed by the huge number of photographers who cannot spell "aperture" )

-- hide signature --

Blogs and galleries at http://www.snowhenge.net
E-System photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/snowhenge/

Matt Shelton
Regular MemberPosts: 364Gear list
Like?
In reply to davidrm, Apr 2, 2013

davidrm wrote:

Lightroom is easier to spell, apparently.

(I remain amazed by the huge number of photographers who cannot spell "aperture" )

-- hide signature --

Blogs and galleries at http://www.snowhenge.net
E-System photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/snowhenge/

At least they're all consistent in their misspelling:  Aperature seems to be the only way I see it misspelled.  Surprised no one has come up with Apertore, Apertare or Apertire!

Matt Shelton's gear list:Matt Shelton's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +3 more
MrScorpio
Senior MemberPosts: 1,351Gear list
Like?
Of course Aperture! n/t
In reply to Rick Pringle another Canuk, Apr 3, 2013
-- hide signature --
 MrScorpio's gear list:MrScorpio's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +20 more
bravozulu
Contributing MemberPosts: 897Gear list
Like?
Re: Of course Aperture! n/t
In reply to MrScorpio, Apr 4, 2013

I'm a lurker on this forum and on Aperture until I get enough money to buy the new iMac. I read this thread in the morning and then swung by the new Apple Store in Santa Monica, California. That's where I'll buy my machine, and where I queried one of the sales reps about Aperture.

This guy was a pro photographer who graduated from the Brooks Institute in Santa Barbara. He was solidly behind my notion of using PhotoMechanic to ingest and tag images and then progress to Aperture. I said (not really knowing what I am talking about) that I was scared by the learning curve in PhotoShop and though Aperture would satisfy my modest needs.

But now, three months after our initial conversation, Apple hasn't made any announcements. About upgraded versions or intentions of continued support.

Between LightRoom and Aperture, there isn't much of an upfront cost difference. But with Aperture, I would get free training and face-to-face help at the Apple Store. If Apple leaves the program with no improvements, will it serve me well for 2 or 3 more years?

bravozulu's gear list:bravozulu's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +5 more
Jacques Cornell
Like?
Patience, Grasshopper.
In reply to bravozulu, Apr 4, 2013

bravozulu wrote:

I'm a lurker on this forum and on Aperture until I get enough money to buy the new iMac. I read this thread in the morning and then swung by the new Apple Store in Santa Monica, California. That's where I'll buy my machine, and where I queried one of the sales reps about Aperture.

This guy was a pro photographer who graduated from the Brooks Institute in Santa Barbara. He was solidly behind my notion of using PhotoMechanic to ingest and tag images and then progress to Aperture. I said (not really knowing what I am talking about) that I was scared by the learning curve in PhotoShop and though Aperture would satisfy my modest needs.

But now, three months after our initial conversation, Apple hasn't made any announcements. About upgraded versions or intentions of continued support.

Between LightRoom and Aperture, there isn't much of an upfront cost difference. But with Aperture, I would get free training and face-to-face help at the Apple Store. If Apple leaves the program with no improvements, will it serve me well for 2 or 3 more years?

I have every confidence that Apple is working hard on Aperture 4 right now and intends to continue updating the software. As evidence, look at the support for many new cameras that Apple has added in recent months. With iPhoto for the iPad, Apple introduced new tools that work similar to Nik Software's plugins with Control Points. Clearly, Apple's looking beyond just keeping feature parity with Adobe. I also find Apple's recent hiring of Adobe's Chief Technology Officer very interesting.

Don't let the naysayers get you in a tizzy. Because Apple doesn't pre-announce, for months before Aperture 3 was released, lots of folks on these forums were declaring Aperture dead. I think a lot of them were/are a) impatient Aperture dabblers or b) Lightroom fans who for some perverse reason want Aperture to go away. Much of what's new in Lightroom 4 was simply catching up with features Aperture had had for a long time. LR does have some neat tricks that Aperture lacks, but the reverse is also true. Even as it is now, Aperture is a worthy contender. I use it to run my event & portrait business, and the ease of use, clean interface, and non-modal workflow make it much faster for high-volume work. I'm hoping for improved noise reduction, sharpening and lens correction. For now, I'm perfectly happy to rely on Nik plugins and PT Lens for those tools.

-- hide signature --

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +27 more
bravozulu
Like?
Re: Patience, Grasshopper.
In reply to Jacques Cornell, Apr 4, 2013

Thanks, Majik. When people begin comparing the 2 programs and talk about User Interface or Modal Processes, it all goes right over my head.

I was told that Aperture started out by Apple hiring a bunch of well-known photographers to brainstorm and to chart out needed features. That alone is comforting. But beyond being a Mac user at home and work since 1987, the OS and interface of Apple programs is familiar.

This will be repeating questions I posed here 2 months ago, but the Lightroom database system of filing images scares me off. Perhaps necessary, so that original files go untouched and sequential edited files can be accessed.

I don't want that. I want a hierarchical file structure that I design. And then I'll use PhotoMechanic to upload images from my SD card, and do quick renaming, tagging, keywording and other Metadata tricks in bulk. That just appeals to me.

Aperture will do most of what I need. Responders to my earlier questions satisfied my concern for a few features:  good shadow retention/recovery, lens distortion correction, HDR. Somewhere in there would the need for Raw conversion of Nikon files. So it seems a few plug-ins will be needed along the workflow. The names suggested were PhotoNinja, DxO, NIK, and so on.

I'm resigned to that need and expect to pay a little more for it. And like you I was excited to learn about the hiring of the Adobe exec into the Apple workforce. Adobe + Apple? What could it mean other than better imaging software? Even an Apple DSLR camera? A car that runs on Cold Fusion energy?

Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +5 more
Len_Gee
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,598Gear list
Like?
In reply to Rick Pringle another Canuk, Apr 4, 2013

Aperture because its now a unified library with iPhoto.

Len_Gee's gear list:Len_Gee's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4
Stu 5
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,266
Like?
In reply to bravozulu, Apr 4, 2013

bravozulu wrote:

Thanks, Majik. When people begin comparing the 2 programs and talk about User Interface or Modal Processes, it all goes right over my head.

I was told that Aperture started out by Apple hiring a bunch of well-known photographers to brainstorm and to chart out needed features. That alone is comforting. But beyond being a Mac user at home and work since 1987, the OS and interface of Apple programs is familiar.

This will be repeating questions I posed here 2 months ago, but the Lightroom database system of filing images scares me off. Perhaps necessary, so that original files go untouched and sequential edited files can be accessed.

I am not quite sure I know what you mean here so this may or may not help. I use Lightroom 4 for everything for the business. When I get home from a shoot I go into 'finder' and under 'Pictures' I set up a new folder for the shoot. I download the contents of the card into that. I then open up Lightroom and import the photos into the catalog but WITHOUT moving the photos from the folder I had set up earlier. Then I make the adjustments to the photos in Lightroom and finish them off by opening up Photoshop from within Lightroom. Those edited files are then saved automatically back into within the original folder. Now you can do the same thing with Aperture as well. If you switch software at a later date then all your photos are outside of the software you were using so that is easy to do. I tag, keyword in bulk inside of Lightroom. Very easy to do.

Why not download the Lightoom demo and play with it for 30 days. Also look at buying Martin Evenings book about Lightroom 4. It's a good book that you can dip into when needed.

You could wait for Aperture 4, it may or may not happen. Difficult to say. If you give the Lightroom 4 demo a go now though you have everything to gain.

I don't want that. I want a hierarchical file structure that I design. And then I'll use PhotoMechanic to upload images from my SD card, and do quick renaming, tagging, keywording and other Metadata tricks in bulk. That just appeals to me.

Aperture will do most of what I need. Responders to my earlier questions satisfied my concern for a few features:  good shadow retention/recovery, lens distortion correction, HDR. Somewhere in there would the need for Raw conversion of Nikon files. So it seems a few plug-ins will be needed along the workflow. The names suggested were PhotoNinja, DxO, NIK, and so on.

I'm resigned to that need and expect to pay a little more for it. And like you I was excited to learn about the hiring of the Adobe exec into the Apple workforce. Adobe + Apple? What could it mean other than better imaging software? Even an Apple DSLR camera? A car that runs on Cold Fusion energy?

Stu 5
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,266
Like?
In reply to Len_Gee, Apr 4, 2013

Len_Gee wrote:

That is really not an advantage though. Aperture more than stands up on it's own the same as Lightroom. I can't remember the last time I opened iPhoto up. Just don't need to.

Jacques Cornell
Like?
Migrating from iPhoto...
In reply to Stu 5, Apr 4, 2013

Stu 5 wrote:

Len_Gee wrote:

That is really not an advantage though. Aperture more than stands up on it's own the same as Lightroom. I can't remember the last time I opened iPhoto up. Just don't need to.

It is a big advantage for people who want to migrate from iPhoto. Also, there are some print products, like calendars, that you can order through iPhoto but not Aperture, so it's handy to be able to access your Aperture library through iPhoto.

-- hide signature --

DiploStrat
Contributing MemberPosts: 758Gear list
Like?
In reply to bravozulu, Apr 5, 2013

...  but the Lightroom database system of filing images scares me off. Perhaps necessary, so that original files go untouched and sequential edited files can be accessed.

Forgive me for being a bit pedantic, but you do realize that with non-destructive systems like Lightroom and Aperture, you no longer have a one-image-to-one-file relationship. Every image requires at least two files - the master and the edits (even if the latter file is empty) and that does not count thumbnails and previews. This is not a problem, in fact, it  is a tremendous step forward because you never have to worry about this stuff, no say nothing of the risk of locking in a mistake as you can with a destructive editor like Photoshop.

If you REALLY want to so what you say, then you would be better off with a traditional photo browser like PhotoMechanic and a destructive editor like Photoshop. But then you condemn yourself to hours of sorting through different versions and formats and all the other work that made so many of up move to Aperture (in my case) or Lightroom. And you haven't lived until you can access your whole library by date, keyword, face, place, etc. and you are not limited to an arbitrary hierarchical file structure.

Give one of them a try; I suspect that you will soon realize that you don't need tools like PhotoMechanic and you don't have to spend time renaming files and you find less and less use for Photoshop.
But, YMMV.

Best wishes.

-- hide signature --

DiploStrat

DiploStrat's gear list:DiploStrat's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-T10 Nikon D60 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +6 more
bravozulu
Like?
In reply to DiploStrat, Apr 5, 2013

DiploStrat, does Aperture deal with storing images like Lightroom? You know, original Raw, with successive edits and attached thumbnails?

If so, I'm willing to let the computer do the heavy lifting. It is just that I was given a tutorial lesson on PhotoMechanic and liked the speed, and the way it stuffed so much metadata into the file for later rating, categorization, filtering and such.

Until I get an Intel CPU Mac that will run any of these programs. I will remain a 'window shopper' about PP software. My G4 computer can't run any of the current applications.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads