Need A Forum For Legacy Camera Fans

Started Mar 22, 2013 | Discussions
Danielepaolo
Senior MemberPosts: 4,273
Like?
Re: What Should Be Our Next Step?
In reply to Wellington100, Mar 24, 2013

Lol! I think he will like it and if he does set up the forum then he should use a large slab of your text. Any copyright issues you know of?

-- hide signature --

Apologies if my lack of photographic knowledge is catching.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Edmund Dorf
Senior MemberPosts: 1,181Gear list
Like?
A Respectful, Polite Request Should Not Offend
In reply to Wellington100, Mar 24, 2013

Wellington100 wrote:

Edmund Dorf wrote:

Wellington100 wrote:

Danielepaolo wrote:

Edmund Dorf wrote:

While leaving the specifics of what is and is not a legacy camera for the moment, and assuming that there is enough support to justify dpreview creating a new forum for Legacy Cameras, how should we go about contacting the powers that be here and ask them to set up a new forum?

Try sending a PM directly to Simon Joinson

http://www.dpreview.com/members/simon

Something like

Dear Simon,

A number of us old timers own vintage cameras like the Fuji F10 and F11. We realise that this era was well before you were born but the musty smell of aging leather and mould is about all we can smell anymore.

It turns out that some of our old cameras have not yet shorted out or had their batteries catch fire and the images that one can take with them are atmospheric and reflect a bygone era, a more innocent time when Facebook had not yet reached 1 billion users, Starbucks paid their taxes and George Bush was the emperor of the world.

How we miss those good old days of 5mp, 10 stop DR and 512mb of memory storage.

Now as a young whippersnapper you may not realise that old people are being discriminated against these days in all sorts of ways such as touch screens that don't work properly if your hands are a bit shaky and retina displays in iPhones that require the use of a microscope in order to read the text being displayed.

How you can ease our burden is by making available a forum for us so that we can once again display our images from the golden age of digital reproduction, before all these girly iPhone cameras took over the world. I just want to walk around town again with a D1 hanging around my neck and a 80-400 zoom sticking out in 12 inches in front of my beer belly, yeah really that will scare the kids heh heh heh.

I had to stop using the D1 and the 80-400 when you were a toddler because it slipped a disk in my neck and I ended up in traction for 3 months but its coming back to me now, yes its all coming back to me now.

Yours sincerely,

Old Geezer

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Doctors are bad for your lifestyle.

You put the proposal into words better than I could. Can you go ahead and send it to Simon? What the heck, nothing ventured, nothing gained and the worse that can happen is that he'll say no.

-- hide signature --

Currently shooting:
Canon Powershot G12
Fujifilm E550
Fujifilm F800EXR
Leica D-Lux 4
Olympus PEN E-PL1 with Kit zoom lens, Olympus M.Zuiko
17mm F2.8, Olympus M.Zuiko 40-150mm, Olympus 45mm F1.8, Canon FD 50mm F1.4, Olympus Zuiko 50mm F1.8, Pentax 135mm F2.5, Pentax 50mm F1.7, Panasonic 20mm F1.7.
Panasonic DMC-GH2 with the kit lens, Panasonic 45-200, Panasonic 14-140mm, and all of the lenses that I have for my Olympus PEN E-PL1
Panasonic HC-V700 camcorder
Sony DSC-TX7

Well I could send it off to him but there is the risk that he will pension me off DPR if I do

-- hide signature --

I see no reason why you would be banned for politely asking for dpreview to consider adding another forum.

-- hide signature --

Currently shooting:
Canon Powershot G12
Fujifilm E550
Fujifilm F800EXR
Leica D-Lux 4
17mm F2.8, Olympus M.Zuiko 40-150mm, Olympus 45mm F1.8, Canon FD 50mm F1.4, Olympus Zuiko 50mm F1.8, Pentax 135mm F2.5, Pentax 50mm F1.7, Panasonic 20mm F1.7.
Panasonic DMC-GH2 with the kit lens, Panasonic 45-200, Panasonic 14-140mm, and all of the lenses that I have for my Olympus PEN E-PL1
Sony DSC-TX7

Edmund Dorf's gear list:Edmund Dorf's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix E550 Zoom Sony RX100 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Fujifilm FinePix F900EXR Canon EOS 60D +5 more
Sactojim
Senior MemberPosts: 3,087
Like?
In reply to Danielepaolo, Mar 24, 2013

Really like your letter! It's well written with humor, fact, and ends with a genuinely pleasant request. I think the recipient will appreciate it.

KimberlyC
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,094Gear list
Like?
Re: Need A Forum For Legacy Camera Fans
In reply to Edmund Dorf, Mar 26, 2013

It's a good idea, I can dig my XD using brood out of the salt mine.

Just no one say Beetlejuice quickly three times; you never know who might come crawling out of the bone yards.   strange ones back in the day!

KimberlyC's gear list:KimberlyC's gear list
Samsung EX2F Olympus PEN E-P2 Nikon D7000 Olympus PEN E-PL3 Samsung NX210 +7 more
Edmund Dorf
Like?
Wellington, Can I Use Your Words? IF so, I'll send the e-mail to Simon.
In reply to Wellington100, Mar 26, 2013

Wellington100 wrote:

Edmund Dorf wrote:

Wellington100 wrote:

Danielepaolo wrote:

Edmund Dorf wrote:

While leaving the specifics of what is and is not a legacy camera for the moment, and assuming that there is enough support to justify dpreview creating a new forum for Legacy Cameras, how should we go about contacting the powers that be here and ask them to set up a new forum?

Something like

Dear Simon,

A number of us old timers own vintage cameras like the Fuji F10 and F11. We realise that this era was well before you were born but the musty smell of aging leather and mould is about all we can smell anymore.

It turns out that some of our old cameras have not yet shorted out or had their batteries catch fire and the images that one can take with them are atmospheric and reflect a bygone era, a more innocent time when Facebook had not yet reached 1 billion users, Starbucks paid their taxes and George Bush was the emperor of the world.

Now as a young whippersnapper you may not realise that old people are being discriminated against these days in all sorts of ways such as touch screens that don't work properly if your hands are a bit shaky and retina displays in iPhones that require the use of a microscope in order to read the text being displayed.

How you can ease our burden is by making available a forum for us so that we can once again display our images from the golden age of digital reproduction, before all these girly iPhone cameras took over the world. I just want to walk around town again with a D1 hanging around my neck and a 80-400 zoom sticking out in 12 inches in front of my beer belly, yeah really that will scare the kids heh heh heh.

I had to stop using the D1 and the 80-400 when you were a toddler because it slipped a disk in my neck and I ended up in traction for 3 months but its coming back to me now, yes its all coming back to me now.

Yours sincerely,

Old Geezer

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

You put the proposal into words better than I could. Can you go ahead and send it to Simon? What the heck, nothing ventured, nothing gained and the worse that can happen is that he'll say no.

-- hide signature --

Currently shooting:
Canon Powershot G12
Fujifilm E550
Fujifilm F800EXR
Leica D-Lux 4
Sony DSC-TX7

Well I could send it off to him but there is the risk that he will pension me off DPR if I do

-- hide signature --

You said it well. If you are reluctant to send the e-mail, I would be happy to do it and use your words if that is OK with you, the author?

-- hide signature --

Currently shooting:
Canon Powershot G12
Fujifilm E550
Fujifilm F800EXR
Leica D-Lux 4
Sony DSC-TX7

Fujifilm FinePix E550 Zoom Sony RX100 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Fujifilm FinePix F900EXR Canon EOS 60D +5 more
AdamT
Forum ProPosts: 56,646Gear list
Like?
Re: Pre SD card - if it takes XD or SM , its in
In reply to Bassy, Mar 26, 2013

hows about the olympus 8080 could join the party xd and cf card and very old

On a Fuji Forum ?????? ...... LOL .

Lovely Shot Bassy

-- hide signature --

** Please ignore the Typos, I'm the world's worst Typist **

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Sigma DP1 Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
Wellington100
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,051Gear list
Like?
Re: Wellington, Can I Use Your Words? IF so, I'll send the e-mail to Simon.
In reply to Edmund Dorf, Mar 26, 2013

Edmund Dorf wrote:

Wellington100 wrote:

Edmund Dorf wrote:

Wellington100 wrote:

Danielepaolo wrote:

Edmund Dorf wrote:

Something like

Dear Simon,

Yours sincerely,

Old Geezer

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Currently shooting:
Canon Powershot G12
Fujifilm E550
Fujifilm F800EXR
Leica D-Lux 4
Sony DSC-TX7

-- hide signature --

You said it well. If you are reluctant to send the e-mail, I would be happy to do it and use your words if that is OK with you, the author?

-- hide signature --

Currently shooting:
Canon Powershot G12
Fujifilm E550
Fujifilm F800EXR
Leica D-Lux 4
Sony DSC-TX7

Only with pleasure, the post was intended as a bit of fun, but please go ahead, I am fundamentally very keen for a vintage camera forum for all makes, it would be brilliant and we could all revisit past battles as well, such as whether the F11 was an improvement over the F10 and the F31 over the F30.

-- hide signature --

Danielepaolo
Senior MemberPosts: 4,273
Like?
Request sent to Simon.

I have sent the request to Simon.

-- hide signature --

Wellington100
Like?
In reply to Danielepaolo, Mar 26, 2013

Danielepaolo wrote:

Lol! I think he will like it and if he does set up the forum then he should use a large slab of your text. Any copyright issues you know of?

-- hide signature --

No mate, its all yours heh heh.

-- hide signature --

Edmund Dorf
Like?
Request Sent To Simon On March 26, 2013

I used the wording that Wellington suggested and sent them to Simon today. If I get any response, I will post it here.

-- hide signature --

Currently shooting:
Fujifilm E550
Fujifilm F800EXR
Leica D-Lux 4
Sony DSC-TX7

AdamT
Like?
A few 100% Crops from the S6500
In reply to Edmund Dorf, Mar 29, 2013

Shame Fuji Superzooms these days don`t produce this quality at Pixel level instead of the noise and NR riddled mush they do today. Also a shame the S6500 didn`t have better ergonomics . A few casual snaps (I`ll leave the proper Backyard Birding to Ken Threed)

These are 100% Crops - otherwise Straight out of camera , they`ll take extra sharpening

-- hide signature --

Wellington100
Like?
Re: A few 100% Crops from the S6500
In reply to AdamT, Mar 30, 2013

AdamT wrote:

Shame Fuji Superzooms these days don`t produce this quality at Pixel level instead of the noise and NR riddled mush they do today. Also a shame the S6500 didn`t have better ergonomics . A few casual snaps (I`ll leave the proper Backyard Birding to Ken Threed)

These are 100% Crops - otherwise Straight out of camera , they`ll take extra sharpening

-- hide signature --

Very nice shots. I still have mine and I think I will keep it in the hope that a vintage DC forum does get set up one day, then I can use it to nail those guys with early Panny FZ cameras

-- hide signature --

Bassy
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,498
Like?
Re: A few 100% Crops from the S6500
In reply to Wellington100, Mar 30, 2013

hi adam  maybe you need   to entice them in a bit with some seed lol

two from my canon sx50

yes i also liked the pictures from those 6500 fujis

and when the price of the fuji xs1 drops to about   300.00 i am buying one

Edmund Dorf
Like?
No Response From Dpreview So Far, But In The Mean Time . . .
In reply to Bassy, Mar 31, 2013

I took these with my vintage Fuji E550. I shoot in RAW and pp using Adobe Photoshop CS6.

-- hide signature --

Currently shooting:
Fujifilm E550
Fujifilm F800EXR
Leica D-Lux 4
Sony DSC-TX7

AdamT
Like?
S6500 Soft and PP
In reply to Wellington100, Mar 31, 2013

Amazing really - all the years I`ve had S6500s (since launch actually), I`ve tried RAW and all sorts of things but never the Soft sharpness and PP as it looked Too Soft but Yesterday I tried it and it`s almost as good as RAW !! . Deciding to sell the SX50 due to handling & lens speed issues prompted me to get the 6500 out again and squeeze more from it . you`d be suprised what you can squeeze from S602 and even the 2Mp F4700 when you try ! .. and YES I`m getting an XS1 when they become cheap, one without a dud lens and sensor hopefully.

Have a look at this at Full size - 1st Pic Soft Sharpened (RAW like fine detail) ............ Second Pic, S6500 on standard settings simply upsized to 16Mp in Irfanview - looks better than the 16Mp HS50 to me (naturally cleaner skies & shadows and better detail definition even at 16Mp) ..

Soft and sharpened for RAW like fine detail

Standard settings upsized to 16Mp - pretty good for an archaic 6Mp sensor

-- hide signature --

Midwest
Forum ProPosts: 13,506
Like?
Re: No Response From Dpreview So Far, But In The Mean Time . . .
In reply to Edmund Dorf, Mar 31, 2013

Edmund Dorf wrote:

I took these with my vintage Fuji E550. I shoot in RAW and pp using Adobe Photoshop CS6.

My kind of breakfast.

Midwest
Forum ProPosts: 13,506
Like?
Re: A Respectful, Polite Request Should Not Offend

Edmund Dorf wrote:

Wellington100 wrote:

I see no reason why you would be banned for politely asking for dpreview to consider adding another forum.

Great - so the Commodore 64 that this site apparently runs on will go down even more often.

Wellington100
Like?
Re: No Response From Dpreview So Far, But In The Mean Time . . .

Edmund Dorf wrote:

Very tasty shots indeed. That E550 can sure do waffles, is that because it has a pancake lens?

-- hide signature --

Currently shooting:
Fujifilm E550
Fujifilm F800EXR
Leica D-Lux 4
Sony DSC-TX7

-- hide signature --

Bassy
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,498
Like?
Re: S6500 Soft and PP
In reply to AdamT, Mar 31, 2013

yes adam i see what you mean  the first shot looks like i am just looking out of your bedroom window,,but the wife is behind me saying close that bloody window its freezing lol

i guess we always think  things  must be better if they are the newer version but its not always true

6500 a true classic   yes a bit like the sony h2  you just know you can  rely on it

AdamT
Like?
Re: S6500 Soft and PP
In reply to Bassy, Mar 31, 2013

6500 a true classic   yes a bit like the sony h2  you just know you can  rely on it

The other biggie with the 6500 is the lens is WYSIWYG - there`s no hidden heavy distortion or Red/Cyan CA being corrected in the background like there is with later cams so no messing with colours to correct CA or weird stretchy edges to fix barrel Dist........ It has a depth which is missing from the pinhead sensor Fujis . it takes a 16mp upsize from one of these old cams to give a reality check on how things have moved backwards a far as the basic image is concerned with convoluted sensor designs and extreme pixel packing .... HTC go on about "Ultrapixel" (see DPR`s Yucky samples from the thing) - the 6500 I guess falls into that category nicely, though without the awful image quality  - LOL

And Yeah - the H2 and H5 were Sonys last really good megazooms

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads