http://www.OneLightWorkshop.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
palincss
Contributing MemberPosts: 752
Like?
Re: Hey Y'all!
In reply to ScottD1964, Mar 27, 2013

ScottD1964 wrote:

Thanks for taking the time out of your busy "real full time photographer" schedule to drop by.  There are plenty of us who "get" what you were referring to in your statement.  And yes, you're right.  This X100s is the camera that Daniel Craig would carry as James Bond where Sean Connery would have carried a Leica.  Fuji gets it.  I've said in a prior thread that this camera appeals to people for the same reason that the new Dodge Challenger and Ford Mustang appeal to people.  High tech in a retro cool package.

I think there's more to it than that.  Consumer Reports does not constantly complain about cars whose radios lack tuning & volume control knobs and tuning buttons, instead relying on touchscreen menus, because CU likes the "retro-cool look" of knobs and buttons, but rather because it's a lot easier and safer to adjust your radio by touch when driving than to take your eyes off the road to futz around with touch screens and menus. Similarly, the appeal of shutter speed and f/stop dials is not "retro cool" and the value of good manual focus lies in usability, not the technology behind it.

InTheMist
Senior MemberPosts: 2,659Gear list
Like?

Ohhh!  Zack ("if being a Hack is wrong, I don' wanna be right") Arias was here!

If you haven't found all the tiny comments in the mega-example-image, do it.  It's hilarious.

This is the best review I've ever read.

-- hide signature --

/Ridicule is not C&C nor is it being helpful nor "stating your opinion"
www.flickr.com/InTheMist

InTheMist's gear list:InTheMist's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +12 more
EricWN
Senior MemberPosts: 1,234
Like?
Re: Who the hell is Zack Arias ?
In reply to Trollsgoaway, Mar 27, 2013

Trollsgoaway wrote:

So the hell are you? show me your photos first...

He doesn't have to show you anything. The question he asked is rather simple to begin with.

framus
Contributing MemberPosts: 847Gear list
Like?
In reply to palincss, Mar 27, 2013

palincss wrote:

ScottD1964 wrote:

Thanks for taking the time out of your busy "real full time photographer" schedule to drop by.  There are plenty of us who "get" what you were referring to in your statement.  And yes, you're right.  This X100s is the camera that Daniel Craig would carry as James Bond where Sean Connery would have carried a Leica.  Fuji gets it.  I've said in a prior thread that this camera appeals to people for the same reason that the new Dodge Challenger and Ford Mustang appeal to people.  High tech in a retro cool package.

I think there's more to it than that.  Consumer Reports does not constantly complain about cars whose radios lack tuning & volume control knobs and tuning buttons, instead relying on touchscreen menus, because CU likes the "retro-cool look" of knobs and buttons, but rather because it's a lot easier and safer to adjust your radio by touch when driving than to take your eyes off the road to futz around with touch screens and menus. Similarly, the appeal of shutter speed and f/stop dials is not "retro cool" and the value of good manual focus lies in usability, not the technology behind it.

Palincss makes a good point.  The 'retro' meme fails to acknowledge that some control paradigms exist and are useful in and of themselves.  I don't have and enjoy an X-pro1 for its 'retro-ness', rather I appreciate the optical viewfinder, the aperture ring, the shutter dial, and the focus control on the lens (though by wire needs to improve). I find the control/s implementation on the X-pro1 to be more enjoyable than that on my Canon gear.

framus's gear list:framus's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
framus
Contributing MemberPosts: 847Gear list
Like?
In reply to InTheMist, Mar 27, 2013

InTheMist wrote:

Ohhh!  Zack ("if being a Hack is wrong, I don' wanna be right") Arias was here!

If you haven't found all the tiny comments in the mega-example-image, do it.  It's hilarious.

This is the best review I've ever read.

-- hide signature --

/Ridicule is not C&C nor is it being helpful nor "stating your opinion"
www.flickr.com/InTheMist

Wait, you mean we have to peep the example image? Sheesh, I missed the easter eggs!  

I appreciate Zack's talents and energy, he certainly has the chops to take himself as seriously as some here do.

framus's gear list:framus's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
ScottD1964
Contributing MemberPosts: 912Gear list
Like?
In reply to framus, Mar 27, 2013

framus wrote:

palincss wrote:

ScottD1964 wrote:

Palincss makes a good point.  The 'retro' meme fails to acknowledge that some control paradigms exist and are useful in and of themselves.  I don't have and enjoy an X-pro1 for its 'retro-ness', rather I appreciate the optical viewfinder, the aperture ring, the shutter dial, and the focus control on the lens (though by wire needs to improve). I find the control/s implementation on the X-pro1 to be more enjoyable than that on my Canon gear.

Same here.  I have never enjoyed the use of LCD screens on my Canon gear to make settings. Too many screens and too much need to remove the camera from your eye to make changes. I'm not even talking about the 60D with a touch based rear screen, ugh.  My "high tech in a retro cool package" comes from how Fuji implements the operation of its knobs and dials.  They are all electronic with no actual mechanical linkage to the camera other than sending a signal to a microprocessor telling the camera to change shutter speed, aperture or focus.  The Pentax K1000 has the same shutter speed dial, aperture and focus rings as the X100s. However, each is mechanically linked to its' specific operation.

Sometimes the low tech dial approach is much more logical and intuitive than the true high tech touchscreen approach.  It's simply how that low tech approach is applied that I'm talking about.

I think we all agree that we like the X cameras for the same reason.  We appreciate the logical layout and use of the camera that allows us to quickly and easily make the changes to settings we desire without having to push a multitude of buttons or take the camera away from our eye to do so.

Enjoy.

Scott

ScottD1964's gear list:ScottD1964's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +2 more
EricWN
Senior MemberPosts: 1,234
Like?
Re: new zack arias review of x100s is up
In reply to max01, Mar 27, 2013

Nice review, thanks for the link.

BuckarooBanzai
Regular MemberPosts: 107Gear list
Like?
Re: Who the hell is Zack Arias ?

ScottD1964 wrote:

Oh hell, why don't we just admit it.  If Ansel Freakin' Adams rose from the grave and gave a resounding review on the quality of the images and the usability of this camera two things would immediately follow.

First would be some one asking "Who the hell is Ansel Adams".

Second would be the multitude of armchair wannabees instructing Mr. Adams on how to take better photos because they don't like the bokeh in his images of Yosemite. They would then ask for him to supply raw images from the X100s of the same subject taken on a moonlit night on the 6th of July at ISO 12,500 @f2 lit only by the additional light provided by a jar of fire flys.  Following attempts to process said images using their own software they would complain of a dreadful watercolor effect at 100% magnification in the shadow noise of said images. Upon making various posts complaining about the image quality 2 conclusions would be drawn.  One is that the X100s does not provide very good quality images.  Secondly, Ansel Adams wasn't a very good photographer.

Scott

Thanks for the laugh Scott.  Great stuff and spot on.

BuckarooBanzai's gear list:BuckarooBanzai's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads