new zack arias review of x100s is up

Started Mar 22, 2013 | Discussions
Pls0421
Regular MemberPosts: 454
Like?
Re: new zack arias review of x100s is up
In reply to Mike, Mar 23, 2013

what a great writer, great review, and a great photographer to boot!...So refreshing rather than the typical dry, technical reviews.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dailypix
Contributing MemberPosts: 629
Like?
In reply to Pls0421, Mar 23, 2013

My 2 cents.

I respect that writer a lot. I thought the "camera walks into a bar" intro was creative and refreshing. Although he is obviously on the Fuji team he made it clear with the original X100 review last year that he said what he wanted.

The Youtube video of him taking pictures with the cheap camera is very amusing and he gained further respect in my eyes with that.  I say more reviewers like Zack Arias are what we need. Too many like KR who beg for "donations" and review vapourware on specs alone exist. Too few real photographers like Zack Arias.

framus
Contributing MemberPosts: 847Gear list
Like?
Re: Who the hell is Zack Arias ?
In reply to baobob, Mar 23, 2013

baobob wrote:

Simon

It seems that started a few hours a new dance in this forum : the rock and TROLL

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

It is the DPR tradition.  FOOD FIGHT!  

framus's gear list:framus's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-T1
StickBreitling
Regular MemberPosts: 187
Like?
In reply to framus, Mar 23, 2013

Like one of the other posters said, the camera sounds impressive, but I'm gonna hold out for the 23 f1.4

Check out Zack's Onelight series. The guy is a genius when given one flash unit. I've never heard anyone explain the use of flash better than he does. He has the impressive photos to back up what he says.

obv
obv
Regular MemberPosts: 103Gear list
Like?
In reply to Dailypix, Mar 23, 2013

The Youtube video of him taking pictures with the cheap camera is very amusing

Definitely worth watching, yes, like most of DigitalRevTV.  Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh6zr3wKRV0&list=UUuw8B6Uv0cMWtV5vbNpeH_A&index=69

obv's gear list:obv's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100T Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 450D +7 more
NorthPentax
Regular MemberPosts: 195
Like?
In reply to simon, Mar 24, 2013

simon wrote:

-- hide signature --

- Simon, Sydney

He is a working photographer. Photography and lighting educator. He has workshops and DVD's; The One Light DVD and The One Light Workshop.

He has been Scott Kelby's guest blogger twice and he has been on Kelby TV's The Grid twice and on Digital Rev's The Cheap Camera Challenge. And much more....... Like being paid by Fuji to shoot with the X100s and organize workshops in Dubai.

http://scottkelby.com/2009/its-guest-blog-wednesday-featuring-zack-arias/

http://scottkelby.com/2013/its-guest-blog-wednesday-featuring-zack-arias-2/

http://kelbytv.com/thegrid/2012/01/19/the-grid-episode-39/

http://kelbytv.com/thegrid/2013/03/21/the-grid-episode-89-blind-critiques/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh6zr3wKRV0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jm1puuyojiE

btw; I have looked at your image gallery Mr. "I've been posting here since2001". My tip for you is to sell your gear and take up knitting

Terry Breedlove
Regular MemberPosts: 285
Like?
In reply to NorthPentax, Mar 24, 2013

Zack is one of my favorite online photographers. We all could learn much from him. His review of the new 100s was great and makes me even more hungry for the XPRO-2 whenever it comes out. The 100s shows us I believe that the upcoming cameras from fuji are going to be spectacular.  I would buy the 100s now but I need to change lenses.

Zvonimir Tosic
Senior MemberPosts: 2,223Gear list
Like?
Zack is boring as hell
In reply to max01, Mar 24, 2013

.. his prose is mushy, suspense predictable, and chewed over. He has a literary style of a telephone book, as many guys have when reviving photo gear — only he reads the left column of the telephone book (names), other guys are reading right column (numbers).

When will some intelligent lady finally decide to give us a fresh perspective on cameras?

-- hide signature --

Zvonimir Tosic
“A portrait is not made in the camera, but on either side of it.”
— Edward Steichen

Zvonimir Tosic's gear list:Zvonimir Tosic's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
framus
Contributing MemberPosts: 847Gear list
Like?
Re: Zack is boring as hell
In reply to Zvonimir Tosic, Mar 24, 2013

Zvonimir Tosic wrote:

.. his prose is mushy, suspense predictable, and chewed over. He has a literary style of a telephone book, as many guys have when reviving photo gear — only he reads the left column of the telephone book (names), other guys are reading right column (numbers).

When will some intelligent lady finally decide to give us a fresh perspective on cameras?

-- hide signature --

Zvonimir Tosic
— Edward Steichen

Zvonmir,

Show us your stuff. Publish your efforts at a 'better' review.

framus's gear list:framus's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-T1
Ariston
Senior MemberPosts: 2,401
Like?
In reply to Zvonimir Tosic, Mar 24, 2013

Zvonimir Tosic wrote:

-- hide signature --

Zvonimir Tosic
— Edward Steichen

I bet you can do better, right?

Jim Radcliffe
Forum ProPosts: 11,418Gear list
Like?
In reply to David Mintzer, Mar 24, 2013

David Mintzer wrote:

Guy was trying to do his review in a unique way. Failed. But heck those are some impressive pictures he took so I guess the dude knows what he is doing. I'm very impressed with the X100S. I want one.

A: he did not fail at all in that review.. well written, creative and quite accurate as it relates to Leica.  If you were looking for GearHead stuff... read the DPReview version.  I think many of us who tire of the techno-handwringing and pixel peeping found Zach's review to be a breath of fresh air.

B: Who the hell is Zack Aria?  Answer: He is a better photographer than most who inhabit DPReview and he was approached by Fuji to shoot and do a few articles for them.  He is also an honest guy and totally upfront about his relationship with Fuji.

-- hide signature --

Jim Radcliffe
http://www.boxedlight.com
The ability to 'see' the shot is more important than the gear used to capture it.

Jim Radcliffe's gear list:Jim Radcliffe's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-E2 +6 more
ScottD1964
Contributing MemberPosts: 920Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jim Radcliffe, Mar 24, 2013

Oh hell, why don't we just admit it.  If Ansel Freakin' Adams rose from the grave and gave a resounding review on the quality of the images and the usability of this camera two things would immediately follow.

First would be some one asking "Who the hell is Ansel Adams".

Second would be the multitude of armchair wannabees instructing Mr. Adams on how to take better photos because they don't like the bokeh in his images of Yosemite. They would then ask for him to supply raw images from the X100s of the same subject taken on a moonlit night on the 6th of July at ISO 12,500 @f2 lit only by the additional light provided by a jar of fire flys.  Following attempts to process said images using their own software they would complain of a dreadful watercolor effect at 100% magnification in the shadow noise of said images. Upon making various posts complaining about the image quality 2 conclusions would be drawn.  One is that the X100s does not provide very good quality images.  Secondly, Ansel Adams wasn't a very good photographer.

Scott

ScottD1964's gear list:ScottD1964's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +2 more
Ariston
Senior MemberPosts: 2,401
Like?
In reply to ScottD1964, Mar 24, 2013

ScottD1964 wrote:

Oh hell, why don't we just admit it. If Ansel Freakin' Adams rose from the grave and gave a resounding review on the quality of the images and the usability of this camera two things would immediately follow.

Second would be the multitude of armchair wannabees instructing Mr. Adams on how to take better photos because they don't like the bokeh in his images of Yosemite. They would then ask for him to supply raw images from the X100s of the same subject taken on a moonlit night on the 6th of July at ISO 12,500 @f2 lit only by the additional light provided by a jar of fire flys. Following attempts to process said images using their own software they would complain of a dreadful watercolor effect at 100% magnification in the shadow noise of said images. Upon making various posts complaining about the image quality 2 conclusions would be drawn. One is that the X100s does not provide very good quality images. Secondly, Ansel Adams wasn't a very good photographer.

Scott

funny but true. I'm not sure what the armchair wannabees want, whether it is attention, fame or respect, or just in it for the sake of useless argument to prove they are right and that something must be done or else we are all going to die. to be honest, they are more like eyesores than someone who really are giving us a good favor. might as well do something "really" useful like what Zack is doing.

Beat Traveller
Contributing MemberPosts: 628Gear list
Like?
In reply to ScottD1964, Mar 24, 2013

ScottD1964 wrote:

Oh hell, why don't we just admit it. If Ansel Freakin' Adams rose from the grave and gave a resounding review on the quality of the images and the usability of this camera two things would immediately follow.

Second would be the multitude of armchair wannabees instructing Mr. Adams on how to take better photos because they don't like the bokeh in his images of Yosemite. They would then ask for him to supply raw images from the X100s of the same subject taken on a moonlit night on the 6th of July at ISO 12,500 @f2 lit only by the additional light provided by a jar of fire flys. Following attempts to process said images using their own software they would complain of a dreadful watercolor effect at 100% magnification in the shadow noise of said images. Upon making various posts complaining about the image quality 2 conclusions would be drawn. One is that the X100s does not provide very good quality images. Secondly, Ansel Adams wasn't a very good photographer.

Scott

You just gave me a damn good laugh.

Beat Traveller's gear list:Beat Traveller's gear list
Nikon D60 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
Asylum Photo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,277Gear list
Like?
In reply to max01, Mar 24, 2013

I've found his reviews to be entertaining and more relevant to my interests than other photographers.

-- hide signature --
 Asylum Photo's gear list:Asylum Photo's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +2 more
Zack Arias
Senior MemberPosts: 1,117
Like?
In reply to simon, Mar 26, 2013

simon wrote:

Been posting here since 2001.

Me too! May 29th, 2001.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Zack Arias
Atlanta, GA

Zack Arias
Like?
In reply to Zvonimir Tosic, Mar 26, 2013

I know! Right? We need the ladies to start geeking out on gear!

Ahhhhh... DPreview. How I haven't really missed you.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Zack Arias
Atlanta, GA

simon
Senior MemberPosts: 2,351
Like?
In reply to Zack Arias, Mar 26, 2013

Zack Arias wrote:

simon wrote:

Been posting here since 2001.

Me too! May 29th, 2001.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Zack Arias
Atlanta, GA

Hi Zack,

Hope you saw my apology. No offence meant, I have checked your work out since and I'm humbled.

Seems my apology didn't stop the hate emails I have received (not sure how people got my email address though).

It seems there's a lot of vitriol simmering beneath the under-belly of this site.

regards and again, apologies,

-- hide signature --

- Simon, Sydney

Zack Arias
Like?
Hey Y'all!
In reply to max01, Mar 26, 2013

Thanks for the links and all that.

From here and from some other forums I can tell that I didn't quite get my point across about Fuji being the new Leica. Not as clearly as I would like to get it across.

I'm in the middle of a project right now but next week I'm going to do a follow up that spells out my opinion. I'm sure *some* here will still take a crack at me and call me a hack and all that. That's fine. I'm no saint. That's for sure. Think what you may. Too bad I'm not a smart lady! Right Zvonimir?

Anyway. Hope y'all are well!

Cheers,
Zack Arias
Atlanta, GA

ScottD1964
Contributing MemberPosts: 920Gear list
Like?
Re: Hey Y'all!
In reply to Zack Arias, Mar 26, 2013

Zack Arias wrote:

Thanks for the links and all that.

From here and from some other forums I can tell that I didn't quite get my point across about Fuji being the new Leica. Not as clearly as I would like to get it across.

I'm in the middle of a project right now but next week I'm going to do a follow up that spells out my opinion. I'm sure *some* here will still take a crack at me and call me a hack and all that. That's fine. I'm no saint. That's for sure. Think what you may. Too bad I'm not a smart lady! Right Zvonimir?

Anyway. Hope y'all are well!

Cheers,
Zack Arias
Atlanta, GA

Zack,

Thanks for taking the time out of your busy "real full time photographer" schedule to drop by.  There are plenty of us who "get" what you were referring to in your statement.  And yes, you're right.  This X100s is the camera that Daniel Craig would carry as James Bond where Sean Connery would have carried a Leica.  Fuji gets it.  I've said in a prior thread that this camera appeals to people for the same reason that the new Dodge Challenger and Ford Mustang appeal to people.  High tech in a retro cool package.

Scott

ScottD1964's gear list:ScottD1964's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads