60D vs T5i bodies?

Started Mar 22, 2013 | Questions
rstock2
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
60D vs T5i bodies?
Mar 22, 2013

I understand clearly that people are somewhat confused as to why Canon would offer the T5i as it's not THAT much different than the T4i, but I'm coming from having an old 30D (now discontinued) and want to upgrade to a 60D body or T5i body. T5i is definately later technology. Any reason why I'd still want to stick w/the 60D line anyway? Any thoughts?

PS: I'm not a newbie photographer, just needing to watch my budget at this time. Price of the bodies not much different. Both can use the same lenses used on my 30D. Just need to upgrade battery and memory cards.

thx

Richard

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sailor Blue
Senior MemberPosts: 6,824Gear list
Like?
Re: 60D vs T5i bodies?
In reply to rstock2, Mar 23, 2013

Nobody but you can really decided which camera is best for you.

Try using dpreview's comparison to show you the side-by-side differences between the two cameras and make the choice depending on what features you know you need now and think you will need in the future.

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Canon EOS 7D +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
clockwork247
Regular MemberPosts: 388Gear list
Like?

rstock2 wrote:

I understand clearly that people are somewhat confused as to why Canon would offer the T5i as it's not THAT much different than the T4i, but I'm coming from having an old 30D (now discontinued) and want to upgrade to a 60D body or T5i body. T5i is definately later technology. Any reason why I'd still want to stick w/the 60D line anyway? Any thoughts?

PS: I'm not a newbie photographer, just needing to watch my budget at this time. Price of the bodies not much different. Both can use the same lenses used on my 30D. Just need to upgrade battery and memory cards.

thx

Richard

the 60D has more control, if it's the same price i would get the 60D.

clockwork247's gear list:clockwork247's gear list
Canon EOS 20D Nikon D70s Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Sony SLT-A37 +8 more
skanter
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,823Gear list
Like?
In reply to clockwork247, Mar 23, 2013

clockwork247 wrote:

rstock2 wrote:

thx

Richard

the 60D has more control, if it's the same price i would get the 60D.

60D is more ergonomic and robust a body, but you need to hold both in your hands in a camera store.

-- hide signature --

Sam K., NYC

skanter's gear list:skanter's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +6 more
Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 15,525Gear list
Like?
Ergonomics & controls

rstock2 wrote:

thx

Richard

The 60D controls will be more familiar to you than the T5i.  IQ will be very similar; I'd be surprised if anyone can tell the difference.

DKCJB
Regular MemberPosts: 109Gear list
Like?
In reply to rstock2, Mar 24, 2013

According to the spec sheets, there's a significant difference in the Raw burst rate if that's important to your shooting style/subjects.  If you shoot your action shots in .jpg, then it's not so much of an issue.

DKCJB's gear list:DKCJB's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +3 more
scorrpio
Senior MemberPosts: 2,991
Like?
In reply to rstock2, Mar 24, 2013

If you are used to and love a large grip to wrap your hand around, you want the 60D.

If you are used to the power of twin dials and an 8-way selector, you want 60D.

If you are used to the incredibly useful shoulder settings LCD, you want 60D.

If you want a brighter pentaprism VF. not pentamirror, you want 60D

If you want a much beefier battery, you want 60D

If you want a 3x deeper burst buffer (16 vs 6 RAW), you wand 60D.

If you want access to 1/8000 shutter and 1/250 flash sync, you want 60D

(You can also opt for 7D instead of 60D)

photosen
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,160Gear list
Like?
In reply to rstock2, Mar 25, 2013

As a 30D shooter myself I would go for a 60D because the controls are almost identical and I do get an edge from knowing my camera well; I would wait for the T5i reviews and see if it wouldn't be worth getting a T3i/T4i for less money; I would go for a Rebel for a specific reason (say if I really needed super high ISO for instance, in case that's what's on offer with the t5i). I'm not sure how comfortable using them in manual mode is.

If I had the cash the complement to my 30D might be the... 6D.

photosen's gear list:photosen's gear list
Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +4 more
Sovern
Contributing MemberPosts: 907
Like?
In reply to rstock2, Mar 25, 2013

Why do you want to upgrade from a 30D? What does it not do that you would like it to be able to do?

In my opinion upgrading to another APS-C camera is going to be a waste of money......especially if you're going back to a plastic Rebel (downgrading basically).

I'd save up and go FF if I were you.

Either get a 5Dmkii or 6D.

Coltrain
New MemberPosts: 12Gear list
Like?
In reply to skanter, Mar 25, 2013

skanter wrote:

60D is more ergonomic and robust a body, but you need to hold both in your hands in a camera store.

-- hide signature --

Sam K., NYC

For me it's this. I just went out this weekend and played with the 60D and the T4i. I'm wanting to upgrade from my old 350D sometime this summer or fall. The 60D just feels so much better (to me) in the hand. It was a night and day difference and it seemed like I was getting a lot better pictures because it fit my hands better. It just seemed like a better handling camera overall. I hope Canon releases a 70D by the time I can upgrade. If not, I would be perfectly happy with the 60D - just wish it had the micro focus adjust...

Wolfkc
Regular MemberPosts: 140Gear list
Like?
In reply to Sovern, Mar 26, 2013

Sovern wrote:

Why do you want to upgrade from a 30D? What does it not do that you would like it to be able to do?

In my opinion upgrading to another APS-C camera is going to be a waste of money......especially if you're going back to a plastic Rebel (downgrading basically).

Just remember that going from aps-c to ff means replacing all your aps-c (EF-S) lenses. I'm going to replace everything because I'm planning to win the lottery, but you may not be as lucky as me.

Wolfkc's gear list:Wolfkc's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Canon EOS 70D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II VC LD Aspherical (IF) +3 more
Sovern
Contributing MemberPosts: 907
Like?
In reply to Wolfkc, Mar 26, 2013

Wolfkc wrote:

Sovern wrote:

Just remember that going from aps-c to ff means replacing all your aps-c (EF-S) lenses. I'm going to replace everything because I'm planning to win the lottery, but you may not be as lucky as me.

Some people don't have many or any EF-S lenses though so all or most or atleast some of their lenses are FF compatible not to mention that Canon lenses have a high resale value and tend to sell fast so his EF-S lenses wouldn't be hard to get rid of.....

pcake
Contributing MemberPosts: 692Gear list
Like?
In reply to Sovern, Mar 26, 2013

Sovern wrote:

i had a 30D.  i upgraded to another aps-c camera because i wanted a bigger screen, the option of live view and the ability to shoot video, and also because newer cameras have better low light performance.

pcake's gear list:pcake's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Olympus PEN E-PM2
avai
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to rstock2, Apr 17, 2013

rstock2 wrote:

thx

Richard

Hello Richard,

I'm not the expert in this area, but just did some reading and comparison on different sites as I'm confused between these 2. There are two difference mainly that I could find - 1. body of 60D is environmentally sealed (water and dust resistant) which T5i is apparently not. 2nd difference is the processor - 60D being Digic4 and T5i being Digic5 (which might be the improved one)

How to put weigh these two criteria is I guess individual choice based on application.

Any thoughts?

Thanks and regards,

Vai

needmoretoys
Regular MemberPosts: 400Gear list
Like?
Re: Ergonomics & controls
In reply to Mark B., Apr 18, 2013

Mark B. wrote:

rstock2 wrote:

thx

Richard

The 60D controls will be more familiar to you than the T5i.  IQ will be very similar; I'd be surprised if anyone can tell the difference.

Totally agree that the ergonomics and controls will be much better with the 60D than the T4i or T5i. I still have my old 10D and really need to upgrade. I spent some time playing with both the T4i and 60D at my local BB and there is no comparison in my opinion. One of the big differences for me was the viewfinder. The 60D is better than my 10D and much better than the T4i. I like macro photography and use manual focus a lot and the viewfinder magnification and brightness makes a big difference. I also have a relatively heavy Sigma 180mm, f3.5 non-IS HSM macro lens and holding that using my 10D is comfortable. I don't think it would be with the T4i/T5i body.

I think that anybody who really likes their older x0D will not be happy with a Rebel unless they primarily use it for vacation type photography with a light lens. Then the smaller and lighter body will be an advantage. If you use it for nature photography then their is no comparison.

I'm also not all that excited about waiting for the 70D, unless it is significantly less than the projected $1000-$1200 price. I'll wait to see what the Canon announcement is next week and if the 70D comes out at $800 or less then I'll wait for it if it is better than the 60D. If it is announced and over $1000 then I plan on ordering a 60D. They are $660 right now.

needmoretoys's gear list:needmoretoys's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +6 more
elfroggio
elfroggio MOD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,979
Like?
Re: Ergonomics & controls
In reply to needmoretoys, Apr 18, 2013

needmoretoys wrote:

I'm also not all that excited about waiting for the 70D, unless it is significantly less than the projected $1000-$1200 price. I'll wait to see what the Canon announcement is next week and if the 70D comes out at $800 or less then I'll wait for it if it is better than the 60D. If it is announced and over $1000 then I plan on ordering a 60D. They are $660 right now.

The "usual playbook" is:

• The camera manufacturer announces the new model
  • Price of the older model start to go lower (not by much)
  • The camera manufacturer ships the new model
  • You can buy the "older" body as a body alone
  • 3 to 6 month after shipping the new model, an old model bundle comes out at the price of the older body alone.
-- hide signature --

Thanks
http://www.foto-biz.com
The Business of Being a Photographer -- Lightroom Q&A

Jared Huntr
Senior MemberPosts: 1,531Gear list
Like?
Think outside the box for ergonomics
In reply to needmoretoys, Apr 21, 2013

needmoretoys wrote:

Totally agree that the ergonomics and controls will be much better with the 60D than the T4i or T5i. I still have my old 10D and really need to upgrade. I spent some time playing with both the T4i and 60D at my local BB and there is no comparison in my opinion. One of the big differences for me was the viewfinder. The 60D is better than my 10D and much better than the T4i. I like macro photography and use manual focus a lot and the viewfinder magnification and brightness makes a big difference. I also have a relatively heavy Sigma 180mm, f3.5 non-IS HSM macro lens and holding that using my 10D is comfortable. I don't think it would be with the T4i/T5i body.

Maybe you need to play with the T4i/5i a little more. I have a 20D and can see huge benefits to the new features of the T4i/5i, especially for macro photopgraphy. For one, the touch screen LCD is excellent for selecting the AF point and triggering the shutter in Live View mode. Second, Live view actually displays a simulated scene based on the aperture and shutter settings so that you can see the effects on exposure and DOF before you take the shot.

IMO, the touchscreen is too commonly dismissed as a truly useful tool in the photographic process.

As for holdability, you can always add a grip. This way you can have a small camera when you need it and enlarge it by adding the grip for special situations. With the 60D, you are always stuck with a large clunky body with no ability to reduce weight/size when needed.

Jared Huntr's gear list:Jared Huntr's gear list
Ricoh GR
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads