French review of TG-2, note the high ISO performance

Started Mar 22, 2013 | Discussions
Jefftan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,112
Like?
French review of TG-2, note the high ISO performance
Mar 22, 2013

http://www.lesnumeriques.com/appareil-photo-numerique/olympus-tg-2-p15180/test.html

ISO 800 is still very good

impressive for a small sensor

Jefftan
Like?
Re: French review of TG-2, note the high ISO performance
In reply to Jefftan, Mar 22, 2013

something that I find strange is ISO 800 seem sharper than ISO 400

probably because more NR at ISO 400 blurring the image

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Robert Anderson
Senior MemberPosts: 2,261
Like?
In reply to Jefftan, Mar 22, 2013

The real test of the tough cameras is how they perform outside. From the few samples I have seen from the TG-2, they look just like the TG-1 images.  The leaves and grass seem to be blurred like a watercolor even at lower ISO's.

Jefftan
Like?
In reply to Robert Anderson, Mar 23, 2013

Robert Anderson wrote:

The real test of the tough cameras is how they perform outside. From the few samples I have seen from the TG-2, they look just like the TG-1 images. The leaves and grass seem to be blurred like a watercolor even at lower ISO's.

for now simply have to accept not look at 100% pixel peep for these waterproof camera

but if you have a sharp eye ,can probably saw that even on computer screen

really wish to know whether WG-3 will be better but I can't wait that long for good detail review.

I have to buy now and my pick right now is TG-2. Reason is

I have more confidence in Olympus,

12 MP vs 16MP

Olympus experience in lens design, the zuiko lens is famous, in comparison even pentax DSLR lens has a bad rep (some said TG-2 and WG-3 have the same lens but this can't be sure)

better look of TG-2 to me

possibility to add converter lens in the future

the A Aperture mode which I believe not in WG-3

So my pick is TG-2, will surely got upset if WG-3 turn out to be better (may have lower noise reduction) but who knows.  I can't wait for good review of WG-3 which may come many months later

djwuk
Regular MemberPosts: 136Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jefftan, Mar 23, 2013

Only had my TG2 for a week but tests so far suggest ISO 1600 equal to or better than my Nikon D300. TG2 Is a very powerful and impressive piece ok kit.

djwuk's gear list:djwuk's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-2 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF +6 more
Jefftan
Like?
In reply to djwuk, Mar 24, 2013

djwuk wrote:

Only had my TG2 for a week but tests so far suggest ISO 1600 equal to or better than my Nikon D300. TG2 Is a very powerful and impressive piece ok kit.

Hi djwuk

what about the often mention heavy NR problem.  Is it real or not

What about IQ in daytime ISO 100 at wide position? I would think best aperture for that is F 2.8

Also have you tried out the handheld starlight mode? Is it good?

Thanks

djwuk
Regular MemberPosts: 136Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jefftan, Mar 24, 2013

Hi, I haven't had the chance to do that much, what with ridiculous ice age weather here in the but what I've seen so far suggests that noise reduction at high ISO isn't a problem.  Base ISO IQ iwe excellent, and with the Aperture priority mode you have a decent amount of control. Not tried the star mode yet - just horrible grey skies here,.

djwuk's gear list:djwuk's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-2 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF +6 more
Jefftan
Like?

djwuk wrote:

Hi, I haven't had the chance to do that much, what with ridiculous ice age weather here in the but what I've seen so far suggests that noise reduction at high ISO isn't a problem. Base ISO IQ iwe excellent, and with the Aperture priority mode you have a decent amount of control. Not tried the star mode yet - just horrible grey skies here,.

that starlight mode is not really for night sky.  It just got that name.  Basically a image stacking mode that can lower noise in any high ISO situation

The handheld twilight mode in Sony work very well.  Just wonder how well Olympus copy it

In Sony you can use ISO 1600 but noise like ISO 400.  For this type of image stacking blur is the biggest problem.  There is blur sometimes in extreme low light but overall work very well in Sony

In Sony provide you check every time after taking pics whether there is blur you can get ISO 1600 pic with ISO 400 noise. Amazing

Altruisto
Contributing MemberPosts: 840
Like?

Really silly quote. I have a D90 and an e-pl5, and the APS-C 12MP from Nikon is still better than the 4/3 16MP from Olympus. So how dare can the smallish 1/2.3 sensor be better than D300 one? You're not worth your DSLR.

Jefftan
Like?
In reply to Altruisto, Mar 25, 2013

Altruisto wrote:

Really silly quote. I have a D90 and an e-pl5, and the APS-C 12MP from Nikon is still better than the 4/3 16MP from Olympus. So how dare can the smallish 1/2.3 sensor be better than D300 one? You're not worth your DSLR.

I respect others opinion but the comment is kind of hard to believe.  
I won't go higher than ISO 800 on small sensor, ISO 400 is even better

LowlightShadows
Regular MemberPosts: 146Gear list
Like?
In reply to Altruisto, Mar 25, 2013

Altruisto wrote:

I don't believe either that ISO 1600 on the TG2 is better than on the D300. We are not quite there yet with the 1/2.3" sensors.

But I also do not believe that a D90 performs better in high ISO than an E-PL5. They should be at about the same level all other factors equal (available light, lens, nr-settings ...).

LowlightShadows's gear list:LowlightShadows's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D7000 Olympus PEN E-PM2
Ken G.
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,409Gear list
Like?
In reply to djwuk, Mar 25, 2013

I have a d300 & the one thing I wish it did is handle noise better at high iso's. the tg2 may show less noise, but it's way overprocessed - to the point of lost detail. any mfg could apply enough nr to get rid if noise, but at what cost? that's why I ended up returning the tg2 - their nr was too much, for me.

Ken G.'s gear list:Ken G.'s gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Nikon D300
Jefftan
Like?
In reply to Ken G., Mar 25, 2013

noise is a touchy subject.  Just being low noise doesn't mean good.  It may lose a lot of detail

low noise with retention of lots of detail is good but is hard to define or judge

I have a NEX-5N and just got my TG-2 .  At ISO 3200 5N is still very good to me.  I would try to find out at what level TG-2 can equal that.  My guess would be ISO 400

ISO 400 on small sensor may be equal to APS-C ISO 3200 in my guess

Jefftan
Like?
In reply to Jefftan, Mar 25, 2013

In my opinion the best to judge noise is to shoot some fine text and see at what ISO level the text can't be read

This is the best way but is not commonly use in most review

I can't understand why

Robert Anderson
Like?

Can you post some landscape images with grass and trees at base ISO? Full size images or 100% crops would be great.

Robert Anderson
Like?
In reply to Robert Anderson, Mar 25, 2013

I would love to have this kind of detail in a waterproof camera:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/51156956

These were shot with a Sony RX100. I am looking at different options to make it waterproof so i can take on the kayak with me.

Jefftan
Like?

Robert Anderson wrote:

Can you post some landscape images with grass and trees at base ISO? Full size images or 100% crops would be great.

yes I will but I can't guarantee when

I will take my time to test the camera hopefully in the next 2 weeks

As to smear grass and trees at base ISO sometimes I think it may be due to details not actually captured (especially when light level fall or under shade) not NR

Jefftan
Like?

Robert Anderson wrote:

I would love to have this kind of detail in a waterproof camera:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/51156956

These were shot with a Sony RX100. I am looking at different options to make it waterproof so i can take on the kayak with me.

the easiest is a Dicapac bag

cheap and easy.  I have been thinking about this too before buying TG-2.  This may be a better option than buying a tough cam

Robert Anderson
Like?

I just got the DicaPac bag. The way it is designed makes it very difficult to use the camera. It is hard to reach the shutter button and zoom control because of the large hunk of rolled up bag on the right hand side. I can't understand why they did not make it roll up on the left hand side.

I have tried to put the camera in upside down but that leaves a very unflexible seam over the shutter button. Another option that might have worked well would be to design the bag so that the closure was at the bottom. I did try putting the camera in the bag that way but it will not fit through the opening turned sideways and cannot be rotated once inside the bag.

CAcreeks
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,694
Like?
I read the TG-2 review in French

Jefftan wrote:

http://www.lesnumeriques.com/appareil-photo-numerique/olympus-tg-2-p15180/test.html

Just as Robert Anderson implied, imaging and optics "evolve not a thumb" from the TG-1. That's what the French says.

The reviewer is a total babe! Usually camera reviewers are old bald guys, or wear funny hats.

Unlike the TG-1, video can be H.264, I did not know that.

Another interesting factoid is that the TG-820 performs faster.

"Negatives remain daunting, to say the least." [Google translate]

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads