NX300 ISO performance looks promising.

Started Mar 22, 2013 | Discussions
Ariston
Senior MemberPosts: 2,401
Like?
NX300 ISO performance looks promising.
Mar 22, 2013

I saw some NX300 ISO samples today in a korean website and here is my impression so far.

ISO100-400 looks flawless

ISO 800 looks very clean

ISO 1600 looks clean

ISO 3200 just got cleaner the last time, possibly by 2/3 or 1 stop. great for large prints

ISO 6400 appears to be the same quality as the NX20 at ISO 3200. with careful processing, the images here would still look fantastic at large prints. B&W would be a stroll. also, no sign of NR application or smudging which is great since we now can finally work on the images at this sensitivity.

ISO 12,800 is only for web viewing and small prints, no crops.

ISO 25,600 - forget it.

so far, it appears that the NX300 is about a 2/3 to 1-stop improvement over the NX20. probably equalizing the NEX-5n sensor in terms of S/N ratio, DR at high ISO. it could be just as good as the current gen Sony APS-C sensors or maybe a bit 1/3 stop better in some areas. but I think the huge improvement is more on the AF operation and camera processing and I think the new image processor has a lot to do with it all. very good so far. jpegs are still a mystery but the raws are more than enough to have someone ears clapping. it's still no Fuji, but it's the closest thing you can ever have in a compact mirrorless camera that has very useable, fast and accurate AF.

Samsung NX20 Samsung NX300 Sony Alpha NEX-5N
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
timedrun
Contributing MemberPosts: 677Gear list
Like?
Re: NX300 ISO performance looks promising.
In reply to Ariston, Mar 22, 2013

I agree, it all looks very good from an ISO POV. If the PDAF works well then I think Samsung could be on to a winner here. There is a ready made suite of very small and good performing primes. Cautiously optimistic.

-- hide signature --

A little green rosetta......a tiny green rosetta........

timedrun's gear list:timedrun's gear list
Samsung NX20 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Samsung NX 16mm F2.4 Pancake Samsung NX 45mm F1.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Coldamus
Senior MemberPosts: 1,650
Like?
In reply to timedrun, Mar 22, 2013

timedrun wrote:

I agree, it all looks very good from an ISO POV. If the PDAF works well then I think Samsung could be on to a winner here. There is a ready made suite of very small and good performing primes. Cautiously optimistic.

One thing puzzles me. I might have missed it but I didn't see any mention in the manual of an option to choose between CDAF and PDAF. If the camera makes that decison, how does it do so? Perhaps it only uses PDAF for continuous AF.

The improved ISO performance is welcome.  I really need to step up to something more modern than my NX10.   I do prefer an EVF so will wait for the NX30.

timedrun
Like?
In reply to Coldamus, Mar 22, 2013

I confess I do not know enough about PDAF's workings to comment. I was hoping that the camera would use both simultaneously, or cleverly in tandem somehow, to seamlessy provide fast and effective autofocus in all situations, including low contrast and approaching subjects. Is this not how it works with the Nikon 1?

I too have looked through the nx300 manual and see no mention of PDAF other than in the specs.

-- hide signature --

Samsung NX20 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Samsung NX 16mm F2.4 Pancake Samsung NX 45mm F1.8
Coldamus
Senior MemberPosts: 1,650
Like?

You may well be right but I was hoping we'd have the choice of over-riding any automatic behaviour. Incidentally today (or tomorrow your time) is the expected availability date according to B & H. It would be nice to see a detailed review from a reputable source while the camera is still relevant (Hint, hint, DPR).

Fuzzfuzz
Forum MemberPosts: 87Gear list
Like?

Which website did you see it on?

-- hide signature --

my and my girldriend's photography blogg http://svartvitt.webblogg.se/

Fuzzfuzz's gear list:Fuzzfuzz's gear list
Pentax K-5 Samsung NX1000 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +7 more
timedrun
Like?
In reply to Coldamus, Mar 22, 2013

DPR have said in the past that Samsung have not been giving them models to review, whether this is related to DPR (allegedly) bungling previous reviews of the NX series is not known.

In any case, I think it would be a good outcome if DPR took the NX line a bit more seriously and if Samsung took DPR a bit more seriously in return, but this is OT really.

WRT to CDAF and PDAF workings, I always assumed (and hoped) that the camera would use both simultaneously or in symbiosis, therefore it not being possible to disable one or the other without crippling the AF. If the camera can only use one or the other, and is actually making an auto decision as to which one to use, then I wholeheartedly agree that we should be able to set that ourselves.

I hope that someone who knows about such things is happening to pass by this thread and can shed some light on the matter.

-- hide signature --

timedrun
Like?
In reply to Fuzzfuzz, Mar 22, 2013

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/51129846

-- hide signature --

Ariston
Like?
In reply to Fuzzfuzz, Mar 22, 2013

Fuzzfuzz wrote:

Which website did you see it on?

-- hide signature --

my and my girldriend's photography blogg http://svartvitt.webblogg.se/

sorry, here it is.

I made the comparisons via the images I have seen with the previous gen NX cameras. I made an estimation of the amount and type of noise, and detail retained per ISO level. if my estimation is correct, the improvement is about 2/3 to 1 stop which is exactly along the level of the current gen NEX cameras. I hope that DXOmarks gets a copy soon and make an effort this time to release a timely review and figures.

http://www.slrclub.com/bbs/vx2.php?id=newproduct_samsung&page=1&divpage=1&select_arrange=headnum&desc=asc&no=3708

http://www.slrclub.com/bbs/vx2.php?id=newproduct_samsung&page=1&divpage=1&select_arrange=headnum&desc=asc&no=3707

http://www.slrclub.com/bbs/vx2.php?id=newproduct_samsung&page=1&divpage=1&select_arrange=headnum&desc=asc&no=3706

A big thank you to Anthony for this huge contribution and for making this effort on providing us with some ideas and results on what to expect from the NX300.

Ariston
Like?

timedrun wrote:

DPR have said in the past that Samsung have not been giving them models to review, whether this is related to DPR (allegedly) bungling previous reviews of the NX series is not known.

In any case, I think it would be a good outcome if DPR took the NX line a bit more seriously and if Samsung took DPR a bit more seriously in return, but this is OT really.

WRT to CDAF and PDAF workings, I always assumed (and hoped) that the camera would use both simultaneously or in symbiosis, therefore it not being possible to disable one or the other without crippling the AF. If the camera can only use one or the other, and is actually making an auto decision as to which one to use, then I wholeheartedly agree that we should be able to set that ourselves.

I hope that someone who knows about such things is happening to pass by this thread and can shed some light on the matter.

-- hide signature --

that would be nice if indeed it would work as it was advertised or intended to be. so far I'm still cautious about it since I haven't seen some videos of it focusing in lowlight. the videos I have seen suggests that it is really quick and fast in daylight, but still a question whether it will slow down or exclusively use CDAF under lowlight. also, I would like to determine how quick it is with certain lenses. if the 85mm, 60mm and some of the pancakes would operate much faster than their VCM lens counterparts.

tecnoworld
Senior MemberPosts: 4,118Gear list
Like?

I'm impressed by iso 3200, which was quite poor with nx200 and very bad with nx100.

tecnoworld's gear list:tecnoworld's gear list
Samsung TL500 Samsung NX100 Samsung NX200 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +12 more
Kornflejk
New MemberPosts: 16
Like?

Thanks for links, Ariston. I like what i see. If only Sammy introduced a 35mm EQ lens with F2 or better as soon as possible...

sj2
sj2
Regular MemberPosts: 217
Like?

Can you comment on AF performance especially if you have a dSLR setup to compare with? I have a Canon setup with some L lens that produce fantastic images but make my 10-month old son freeze up and very conscious of a big lens staring at him. Compared to the Canon setup, he is oblivious to a camera when I use my Olympus E-PM1. But with the Oly, I am not too happy with the m43 system and choice of lens.

Thanks.

tkpenalty
Regular MemberPosts: 440
Like?

One thing striking:
A very nikon-esque JPEG engine is used now, however it seems to not go nuts with noise supression at higher ISO.

jeffsvisions
Senior MemberPosts: 1,171Gear list
Like?
Re:
In reply to tkpenalty, Mar 23, 2013

If only it had an EVF  and split screen .it would be a great camera. I like to use legacy lens with my nx 100 now. I'm starting to lean towards the Fuji .

The best picture is the one you take.
Jeff

jeffsvisions's gear list:jeffsvisions's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-S1
Ariston
Like?
In reply to sj2, Mar 23, 2013

sj2 wrote:

Can you comment on AF performance especially if you have a dSLR setup to compare with? I have a Canon setup with some L lens that produce fantastic images but make my 10-month old son freeze up and very conscious of a big lens staring at him. Compared to the Canon setup, he is oblivious to a camera when I use my Olympus E-PM1. But with the Oly, I am not too happy with the m43 system and choice of lens.

Thanks.

unfortunately I can't comment on the AF in comparison with really fast dslrs like the 7D or D700. although it seems to be on point with most or current dslrs AF speed in general.

Ariston
Like?
Re:
In reply to jeffsvisions, Mar 23, 2013

jeffsvisions wrote:

If only it had an EVF and split screen .it would be a great camera. I like to use legacy lens with my nx 100 now. I'm starting to lean towards the Fuji .

Jeff

you know that the NX300 doesn't have split screen from the start. neither does the existing Fuji-X ILC system have one. but anyway, it's your preference that counts.

jeffsvisions
Senior MemberPosts: 1,171Gear list
Like?
Re:
In reply to Ariston, Mar 23, 2013

yes i know the nx300 doesn't . i said if it did it would be great camera. fuji does have it on the x100s and one other that just came out . so i think they will add it to the rest of the x line in the future. sorry but  no evf is a deal breaker for me.

-- hide signature --

Jeff

jeffsvisions's gear list:jeffsvisions's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-S1
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads