How to recover data from SD card after accidental deletion?

Started Mar 22, 2013 | Questions
Peter Oliver
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
How to recover data from SD card after accidental deletion?
Mar 22, 2013

I have a problem with my 4 GB SD card. When I connected it to my PC via a card Reader, the computer always asked me to format it. I couldn’t do that. There were so many wedding pictures of my friend. Is it possible to recover the data anyhow?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Athegn
Senior MemberPosts: 1,067
Like?
Read this thread
In reply to Peter Oliver, Mar 22, 2013
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
random78
Regular MemberPosts: 279Gear list
Like?
Re: How to recover data from SD card after accidental deletion?
In reply to Peter Oliver, Mar 22, 2013

Peter Oliver wrote:

I have a problem with my 4 GB SD card. When I connected it to my PC via a card Reader, the computer always asked me to format it. I couldn’t do that. There were so many wedding pictures of my friend. Is it possible to recover the data anyhow?

You title suggests that you deleted the files but your description in the post is a bit confusing since you mention formatting and some problem with the SD card? What exactly happened?

In any case, the first and most important thing to do is to stop using that card right away!!!. And set the slider on the side of your SD card to "lock" position so that no software including any recovery software could write to it.

The files which get deleted still exist on the card pretty much fully intact as long as you do not overwrite new data on top of them. Think of it this way, when you delete a file, the system marks the space used by that file as "available" for new data. However no data actually gets removed. However if you then write to the card afterwards, there is a chance some of your old data might be overwritten. Hence the need to ensure nothing gets written to the card after the deleting incident.

If it was simply a case of accidental deletion and you didn't use the card after deletion then it should be fairly straightforward for any decent recovery software to recover all the files. If however you wrote to the card after the deletion and/or if the card has become bad in some way, then you will need to do more research into finding a good quality recovery software as some might be better than others in handling your particular scenario. And in this case the recovery might just be partial.

random78's gear list:random78's gear list
Nikon D7000 Canon EOS M
random78
Regular MemberPosts: 279Gear list
Like?
In reply to random78, Mar 22, 2013

Also no decent recovery software will try to modify the card contents, (and even if it does try, you will have the card locked so it won't be able to). So you can try as many software as you like. When I had a situation like that I downloaded the trial version of many recovery software and tried to recover with each of them. Then I chose the one which gave me the simplest way to recover all my files. (I am on mac so not many free recovery software are around, however I bet on windows you would have a lot of free ones as well which might work well enough if you don't have corrupt data).

random78's gear list:random78's gear list
Nikon D7000 Canon EOS M
78camera
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Re: Read this thread
In reply to Athegn, Mar 25, 2013
proseak
Regular MemberPosts: 375
Like?
In reply to Peter Oliver, Mar 25, 2013

"I have a problem with my 4 GB SD card. When I connected it to my PC via a card Reader, the computer always asked me to format it"

That may be the Autoplay option - it doesn't immediately recognise the file system, so offers to convert it to something it can use.

Try opening Explorer, and navigating to the card, and see what it finds; there's a good chance that you'll find your pictures in a folder on the card. Then select all, and copy to a folder of your choice. Then use the "Safely remove hardware" option and disconnect the card reader.

I would also recommend disabling Autorun on removable drives for security reasons.

Peter Oliver
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Re: Read this thread
In reply to 78camera, Mar 29, 2013

78camera wrote:

You should read this thread at first:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/55984-5-recover-photos-memory-card-accidentally-format

Helloļ¼Thanks for your reply. I have read your recommended thread and tried the first data recovery freeware that has finally restored all my photos back.

Thank you very much!!!!

masterkim
Like?
In reply to random78, Apr 27, 2013

If your sd card can be connected to the computer, and you did not write new data in the sd card for second use. you may recover the deleted files  via some software. But you must not use and recover soon.  There is a tutorial to give you more information to recover.:

How to Recover Files from SD Card

http://www.transfer-iphone-recovery.com/sd-card-data-recovery.html

angelakat
Like?
In reply to Peter Oliver, 11 months ago

I had exactly the same problem as you before, the SD card asks for format for no reason and what I worries is the family photos on the SD card so I do not want to format it.

But do not worry, I found the solution, here's a good article which tells how to recover files from the memory card which shows the memory card needs to be formatted error. here you go: Fix memory card not formatted error and recover data

good luck!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads