New Guy Needs Help with DSLR Purchase

Started Mar 22, 2013 | Discussions
Tieguy77
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
New Guy Needs Help with DSLR Purchase
Mar 22, 2013

Hello Everyone,

I have always enjoyed taking photos of subjects ranging from family and pets to wildlife and landscapes.  Thanks in part to a very generous offer from my Fiancee to pony up half the money for a Canon camera of my choice, I have decided to take the plunge and purchase a DSLR.

I have watched and read reviews and I am very impressed with the EOS 7D.  Now, I am planning on using this as a hobby not a business and this would be my very first DSLR camera.  I am a pretty quick learner.  A new EOS 7D would be at the high end of the spectrum for what I am willing to spend.

My questions are as follows:

1.  Is there a better offering from Canon for the money?

2.  What would be an excellent bundle (lens and body) choice for a beginner?

I tend to take photos of whatever might capture my attention at the moment, so I cannot narrow down my subject matter to only action or landscapes.  I want a camera that is sturdy and will give me years of enjoyment.  AND I REALLY NEED SOME ADVICE.

Thank you all for helping.

Bob

Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Guidenet
Forum ProPosts: 13,092Gear list
Like?
Re: New Guy Needs Help with DSLR Purchase
In reply to Tieguy77, Mar 22, 2013

I'd be looking at the Canon 60D, Nikon D7100 or Pentax K5 II. The Canon 7D is a good camera, just a tad older design. The 60D is not as good of a build but probably a little better otherwise. Personally, I think the Nikon or Pentax I mentioned are either one better, but that's a personal call.

For example, the Nikon D7100 has more megapixels, better dynamic range, better color depth, and is better in dim light. The Pentax is also the same except slightly less megapixels but maybe a slightly better build. Pick your poison.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig
Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

 Guidenet's gear list:Guidenet's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tieguy77
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
Re: New Guy Needs Help with DSLR Purchase
In reply to Guidenet, Mar 22, 2013

Guidenet wrote:

I'd be looking at the Canon 60D, Nikon D7100 or Pentax K5 II. The Canon 7D is a good camera, just a tad older design. The 60D is not as good of a build but probably a little better otherwise. Personally, I think the Nikon or Pentax I mentioned are either one better, but that's a personal call.

For example, the Nikon D7100 has more megapixels, better dynamic range, better color depth, and is better in dim light. The Pentax is also the same except slightly less megapixels but maybe a slightly better build. Pick your poison.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig
Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

Thanks Craig!  It just occurred to me that I did not mention I would like to stick with Canon.  For some reason my Fiancee did have that one stipulation.  Apparently her Dad is a huge fan.  I see the 7D is a bit sturdier....what would steer you away from it?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mark Scott Abeln
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,082Gear list
Like?
Re: New Guy Needs Help with DSLR Purchase
In reply to Tieguy77, Mar 22, 2013

Tieguy77 wrote:

I have watched and read reviews and I am very impressed with the EOS 7D. Now, I am planning on using this as a hobby not a business and this would be my very first DSLR camera. I am a pretty quick learner. A new EOS 7D would be at the high end of the spectrum for what I am willing to spend.

A friend of mine bought a used 7D this week, and I spent a day shooting with it with a high-quality lens.  The camera is well-built, ergonomic, with excellent image quality.  If you buy it used, I think it would be an excellent choice.

 Mark Scott Abeln's gear list:Mark Scott Abeln's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Rokinon 85mm F1.4
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tieguy77
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
Re: New Guy Needs Help with DSLR Purchase
In reply to Mark Scott Abeln, Mar 22, 2013

You guys are so quick!  I really appreciate the advice.  Are factory refurbished Canons a safe bet?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mark Scott Abeln
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,082Gear list
Like?
Re: New Guy Needs Help with DSLR Purchase
In reply to Tieguy77, Mar 22, 2013

Tieguy77 wrote:

You guys are so quick! I really appreciate the advice. Are factory refurbished Canons a safe bet?

I would think so. Check to see if they have a return policy if you have doubts.

 Mark Scott Abeln's gear list:Mark Scott Abeln's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Rokinon 85mm F1.4
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Kokeen4231
Contributing MemberPosts: 605Gear list
Like?
Re: New Guy Needs Help with DSLR Purchase
In reply to Tieguy77, Mar 22, 2013

The 7d is indeed a very good camera with good build. The main thing to consider is that it is kind of old so its competitors like the nikon d7100 outperforms it in some areas and even on the spec sheet. Nonetheless, the 7d is a good camera but the 60d is not much worse. If you could wait, a 70d might be out anytime soon. So its whether you want the camera now or not.

A decent lens to start with would be the 17 55 F2.8. It has decent wide angle and its constant aperture at F2.8 allows lower light capture than most zoom lenses.

 Kokeen4231's gear list:Kokeen4231's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Leonard Migliore
Forum ProPosts: 10,380Gear list
Like?
Canon factory refurb
In reply to Mark Scott Abeln, Mar 22, 2013

Mark Scott Abeln wrote:

Tieguy77 wrote:

You guys are so quick! I really appreciate the advice. Are factory refurbished Canons a safe bet?

I would think so. Check to see if they have a return policy if you have doubts.

I really like Canon's factory refurb. The cameras are boxed (in special refurb boxes...), come with everything a new camera comes with and look like new. There's a 14-day return policy and a 90-day warranty. I have a G12 on the way to me right now.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

 Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jake64
Contributing MemberPosts: 615Gear list
Like?
Re: New Guy Needs Help with DSLR Purchase
In reply to Tieguy77, Mar 22, 2013

Tieguy77 wrote:

Hello Everyone,

I have always enjoyed taking photos of subjects ranging from family and pets to wildlife and landscapes. Thanks in part to a very generous offer from my Fiancee to pony up half the money for a Canon camera of my choice, I have decided to take the plunge and purchase a DSLR.

I have watched and read reviews and I am very impressed with the EOS 7D. Now, I am planning on using this as a hobby not a business and this would be my very first DSLR camera. I am a pretty quick learner. A new EOS 7D would be at the high end of the spectrum for what I am willing to spend.

My questions are as follows:

1. Is there a better offering from Canon for the money?

2. What would be an excellent bundle (lens and body) choice for a beginner?

I tend to take photos of whatever might capture my attention at the moment, so I cannot narrow down my subject matter to only action or landscapes. I want a camera that is sturdy and will give me years of enjoyment. AND I REALLY NEED SOME ADVICE.

Thank you all for helping.

Bob

Why only a Canon camera? There are plenty of offerings out there at that price range. How serious are you?

The following scenerios could occur;

1) You buy an expensive camera more suited for advanced users and realize it's not for you thus said camera becomes a paperweight.(worst scenerio)

2) You buy a cheaper camera but you end up loving photography and outgrow the camera's capabilities within a few months and start shopping around for a more advanced one. (somewhat wasteful of your $)

3) You buy an expensive camera and love it and save yourself having to buy something better as you get better. You "grow into" it over time and it gives you years of enjoyement. (Best scenerio)

4) You buy a cheap camera and decide you dislike photography. You save yourself money in the long run having not spent a ton to begin with.(conservative approach towards the possibility that your passion for photography will fissle with time. It happens)

 Jake64's gear list:Jake64's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Hank3152
Forum ProPosts: 12,669Gear list
Like?
Re: New Guy Needs Help with DSLR Purchase
In reply to Tieguy77, Mar 22, 2013

Tieguy77 wrote:

It just occurred to me that I did not mention I would like to stick with Canon. For some reason my Fiancee did have that one stipulation. Apparently her Dad is a huge fan. I see the 7D is a bit sturdier....what would steer you away from it?

Does her father currently own any Canon gear? If so why not look it over and examine the images and see how it suits you ergonomically and performance wise.

The 7D is 3.5 yrs old but nevertheless a great camera which can be found mint, used for a great deal. It's an advanced model which has a more robust build with a high frame rate and has a great AF system. The T4i is a highly rated newer entry level body that won't overwhelm you nor break the bank and produces outstanding images. Check the appropriate Canon forums for comments, samples and opinions.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/1031
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/1019

 Hank3152's gear list:Hank3152's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
happysnapper64
Senior MemberPosts: 4,386Gear list
Like?
Re: New Guy Needs Help with DSLR Purchase
In reply to Jake64, Mar 22, 2013

Jake64 wrote:

Tieguy77 wrote:

Hello Everyone,

I have always enjoyed taking photos of subjects ranging from family and pets to wildlife and landscapes. Thanks in part to a very generous offer from my Fiancee to pony up half the money for a Canon camera of my choice, I have decided to take the plunge and purchase a DSLR.

I have watched and read reviews and I am very impressed with the EOS 7D. Now, I am planning on using this as a hobby not a business and this would be my very first DSLR camera. I am a pretty quick learner. A new EOS 7D would be at the high end of the spectrum for what I am willing to spend.

My questions are as follows:

1. Is there a better offering from Canon for the money?

2. What would be an excellent bundle (lens and body) choice for a beginner?

I tend to take photos of whatever might capture my attention at the moment, so I cannot narrow down my subject matter to only action or landscapes. I want a camera that is sturdy and will give me years of enjoyment. AND I REALLY NEED SOME ADVICE.

Thank you all for helping.

Bob

Why only a Canon camera? There are plenty of offerings out there at that price range. How serious are you?

The following scenerios could occur;

1) You buy an expensive camera more suited for advanced users and realize it's not for you thus said camera becomes a paperweight.(worst scenerio)

2) You buy a cheaper camera but you end up loving photography and outgrow the camera's capabilities within a few months and start shopping around for a more advanced one. (somewhat wasteful of your $)

3) You buy an expensive camera and love it and save yourself having to buy something better as you get better. You "grow into" it over time and it gives you years of enjoyement. (Best scenerio)

4) You buy a cheap camera and decide you dislike photography. You save yourself money in the long run having not spent a ton to begin with.(conservative approach towards the possibility that your passion for photography will fissle with time. It happens)

Your points are well made, but the OP has already stated that buying a CANON camera, is the main stipulation for his fiance putting up half the cash. Her father is a fan!

-- hide signature --

lee uk.
There are old pilots, & there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots.

 happysnapper64's gear list:happysnapper64's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 60D Olympus PEN E-PL5 Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tieguy77
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
Re: New Guy Needs Help with DSLR Purchase
In reply to Tieguy77, Mar 23, 2013

Wow, you guys have been great.  I really appreciate all of the feedback.  I have in fact had an opportunity to have a little hands on with the 7D, and it feels great in my hands.  I guess I am a little concerned that it is an "Older" camera, but at the same time I assume that a beginner could do worse.  Am I wrong?

It sounds as if no one here has any issues with buying factory refurbs.  Does this apply to the lenses as well?  I'm excited and nervous at the same time, but really looking forward to learning a new hobby/skill.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
happysnapper64
Senior MemberPosts: 4,386Gear list
Like?
Re: New Guy Needs Help with DSLR Purchase
In reply to Tieguy77, Mar 23, 2013

Tieguy77 wrote:

Wow, you guys have been great. I really appreciate all of the feedback. I have in fact had an opportunity to have a little hands on with the 7D, and it feels great in my hands. I guess I am a little concerned that it is an "Older" camera, but at the same time I assume that a beginner could do worse. Am I wrong?

It sounds as if no one here has any issues with buying factory refurbs. Does this apply to the lenses as well? I'm excited and nervous at the same time, but really looking forward to learning a new hobby/skill.

I bought the 7D about 8 months ago, one of the main reasons being that it felt great in my hands. I had a 600D/T3i which Canon botched up in a repair, so the store I bought it from gave me a full refund + compensation. I have arthritis in my hands/fingers & although the 600D is a great little camera, some of the controls were becoming difficult for me to use being small & close together. The 7D may be heavier, but even with longer lenses it is so well ballanced I don't notice that much. Of course it is fairly old in camera terms, I like to think of it in terms of having stood the test of time, & still selling well.

-- hide signature --

lee uk.
There are old pilots, & there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots.

 happysnapper64's gear list:happysnapper64's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 60D Olympus PEN E-PL5 Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tieguy77
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
Re: New Guy Needs Help with DSLR Purchase
In reply to happysnapper64, Mar 23, 2013

happysnapper64 wrote:

Tieguy77 wrote:

Wow, you guys have been great. I really appreciate all of the feedback. I have in fact had an opportunity to have a little hands on with the 7D, and it feels great in my hands. I guess I am a little concerned that it is an "Older" camera, but at the same time I assume that a beginner could do worse. Am I wrong?

It sounds as if no one here has any issues with buying factory refurbs. Does this apply to the lenses as well? I'm excited and nervous at the same time, but really looking forward to learning a new hobby/skill.

I bought the 7D about 8 months ago, one of the main reasons being that it felt great in my hands. I had a 600D/T3i which Canon botched up in a repair, so the store I bought it from gave me a full refund + compensation. I have arthritis in my hands/fingers & although the 600D is a great little camera, some of the controls were becoming difficult for me to use being small & close together. The 7D may be heavier, but even with longer lenses it is so well ballanced I don't notice that much. Of course it is fairly old in camera terms, I like to think of it in terms of having stood the test of time, & still selling well.

-- hide signature --

lee uk.
There are old pilots, & there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots.

I guess a better question for me to ask would be will the 7D be obsolete any time soon?  I know it's apples to oranges, but would it be analogous to buying a outdated computer.  Will the technology still be relevant 2 or 3 years from now?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Hank3152
Forum ProPosts: 12,669Gear list
Like?
Re: New Guy Needs Help with DSLR Purchase
In reply to Tieguy77, Mar 23, 2013

Tieguy77 wrote:

I guess a better question for me to ask would be will the 7D be obsolete any time soon? I know it's apples to oranges, but would it be analogous to buying a outdated computer. Will the technology still be relevant 2 or 3 years from now?

There will always be newer models and upgrades over the horizon but it doesn't make the current model suddenly stop producing great results.

The entry level T4i is highly regarded even though the little improved T5i was just announced the other day. The 70D is rumored to be available fairly soon and the successor to the 7D (7D II) is rumored to arrive at the end of summer and both are speculated to have some major improvements but with a commensurate price increase, meaning the current 60Ds and 7Ds will be very affordable and abundant if you feel like waiting.

There are a couple of reputable used sites whose members are reliable avid enthusiasts that list mint lightly used gear with pics and full disclosure...........might be worth a look to compare.......I've literally saved thousands $$$ over the years buying mint gear, most with a remainng warranty from members with high feedback scores......
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/10
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=14

 Hank3152's gear list:Hank3152's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tieguy77
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
Re: New Guy Needs Help with DSLR Purchase
In reply to Hank3152, Mar 27, 2013

Hank3152 wrote:

Tieguy77 wrote:

I guess a better question for me to ask would be will the 7D be obsolete any time soon? I know it's apples to oranges, but would it be analogous to buying a outdated computer. Will the technology still be relevant 2 or 3 years from now?

There will always be newer models and upgrades over the horizon but it doesn't make the current model suddenly stop producing great results.

The entry level T4i is highly regarded even though the little improved T5i was just announced the other day. The 70D is rumored to be available fairly soon and the successor to the 7D (7D II) is rumored to arrive at the end of summer and both are speculated to have some major improvements but with a commensurate price increase, meaning the current 60Ds and 7Ds will be very affordable and abundant if you feel like waiting.

There are a couple of reputable used sites whose members are reliable avid enthusiasts that list mint lightly used gear with pics and full disclosure...........might be worth a look to compare.......I've literally saved thousands $$$ over the years buying mint gear, most with a remainng warranty from members with high feedback scores......
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/10
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=14

Well said, thank you Hank!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Placation101
Regular MemberPosts: 455
Like?
Re: New Guy Needs Help with DSLR Purchase
In reply to Tieguy77, Mar 28, 2013

They are shying you away from the 7d  because it is fingers crossed about to be replaced within the next few months, to six months, to year to, who knows. The 60d will probably be replaced sooner hopefully some time soon. Anyhow both the 7d and 60d use the same sensor so you might save some budget for better or more lenses with the 60d. 7d is a great camera and as good as it gets for Canon in that segment of the market, you won't be disappointed.

the only problem I have is that the 7d has the same sensor as the 60d which has the same sensor as the t2i rebel camera. I dunno it just seems overdue to replace a sensor in canons flagship crop frame camera when they are on the t5i. Again not bad and awesome camera sensor is just on the old side by today's standards coming up on 4 years pretty quick here.

the only technology on it that could be obsolete is the sensor and yeah either it's gonna be obsolete or there are gonna be some angry canon people based on the t5i reaction.  No doubt you have looked at sample images, that is what the camera is capable of, so no really it's not gonna be obsolete just a step behind.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ArchiDeos
Junior MemberPosts: 38Gear list
Like?
Re: New Guy Needs Help with DSLR Purchase
In reply to Tieguy77, Mar 28, 2013

:-)Weel you made the right choice IMHO. The recent Firmware updates of 7D makes a new camera on the market. Adding  a bunch of features found also in 5D MarkIII which is one of the latest FF camera in the Canon Flagship. I Bought my 7D Camera 2.5 years ago, such a great camera, I never regret at all and a proud owner. It features weather sealing, 8fps, fast AF, great ergonomics design, Full HD Video, and a lot more..

For the lens combo, if you have some extra bucks, I recommend the 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM, check the review here, http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-24-70mm-f-2.8-L-II-USM-Lens-Review.aspx or if you want the cheapest one but a great glass try the nifty fifty f/1.4 USM http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-50mm-f-1.4-USM-Lens-Review.aspx.. Hopes this will help you to decide pal. Have a nice day ahead..

 ArchiDeos's gear list:ArchiDeos's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
beagle1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,824
Like?
Re: New Guy Needs Help with DSLR Purchase
In reply to Tieguy77, Mar 28, 2013

Tieguy77 wrote:

Wow, you guys have been great.  I really appreciate all of the feedback.  I have in fact had an opportunity to have a little hands on with the 7D, and it feels great in my hands.  I guess I am a little concerned that it is an "Older" camera, but at the same time I assume that a beginner could do worse.  Am I wrong?

It sounds as if no one here has any issues with buying factory refurbs.  Does this apply to the lenses as well?  I'm excited and nervous at the same time, but really looking forward to learning a new hobby/skill.

The 7D is older but still good and refurbished units come with a warranty so you shouldn't worry.  the 7D is more of a sports/action model so if you're into sports be prepared to spend more money on lens!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dougeryb
Contributing MemberPosts: 562Gear list
Like?
Re: New Guy Needs Help with DSLR Purchase
In reply to Tieguy77, Mar 28, 2013

7d is an outstanding camera. Build quality, frame rate (8fps), focusing system, are all fantastic and can't be beat by any other aps-c Canon body. Throw in the latest firmware AND Magic Lantern, and you've got yourself a very compelling body. One other point that makes a big difference for me is the ability to Micro Adjust focus for each lens. Over half of my lenses required a small degree of MA, and one of my Tamrons required +9. Can't do this with the other Canon aps-c cameras.

The sensor may not be bleeding edge, but 18mp is more than enough for outstanding resolution and a fair amount of cropping. It may not have the best low light capabilities, but its definitely acceptable, and with a little post noise reduction, you are in business.

To here to get some basic ideas on what it's capable of compared to other cameras. No test charts, just real world shooting.

http://www.pixel-peeper.com/cameras/?camera=1335

Good luck!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads