A great camera for nearly anything.

Started Mar 21, 2013 | User reviews
Y Hafting
Contributing MemberPosts: 784
Like?
A great camera for nearly anything.
Mar 21, 2013

Coming from the 30D and having used the 5dii, i had found the 5Dii AF much more of a hit an miss than i could tolerate. The 6D is about the same AF speed, but the hit rate is better and the low light performance is as good as you get.

The camera doesnt get full score for Kids/pets because there are faster AF available, which will be handy for kids & pets. However the good low light performance, and the silent shutter is awesome for candids and indoor shooting. The shutter noise for this camera is very little, even without the silent mode. 5dii is rolling thunder in comparison. The auto ISO is great for quick changing environments, and great to use with manual mode, the only hinge is the lack of +-EV in manual (it is a bit of a mystery why canon left this one out).

For proffesional action/ sports photography there are better alternatives such as the 5D3. For dimly lit targets, the 6D can still be a better option. For a family father (or mother) wanting to take pictures of their kids playing football matches (or anything comparable) during twilight this camera might be a better choice than the 5D3 because of the center spot sensitivity.

For landscapes and scenery, and tripod work in general, the camera is very good. The wifi+android/ios app is a very good combo, since you can use the camera with slim tripods because you do not risk motion from pressing the shutter. In comparison to the exmor based cameras (nikon/sony) the camera does not provide the same low iso DR.

For portraits this camera is as good as any when it comes to IQ. The only drawback is that the 8way pad is a bit slower or less accurate than a good joystick. I'd love to have both. The 8way pad is better than the joystick button for menus, but worse for focus point selection.

Low light is where this camera really shines, having -3EV center focus point and excellent high iso performance. Noise is only a nuicance before ISO 12800 when viewed at a 24" monitor. For everyday photography, and compared to the average P&S, even ISO 25600 is great. The old ghost named banding is virtually gone.

If i would change anything, i would love to have a bit more customization available for the buttons, and i would like to change the aggressive NR in jpegs. I would also change the default USM sharpening to be much finer. If i was able to change this, i would likely use jpeg out of camera more. +- EV in manual auto-iso mode would be very welcome when snow is all around.

This camera gives the most desirable output using ONLY chroma noise reduction.

I believe the 6D is the ultimate hobbyist camera, versatile and relatively inexpensive compared to other full frame cameras, and excellent in low light.

-Yngve

Y Hafting's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
great
Action / sports
good
Landscapes / scenery
great
Portraits
great
Low light (without flash)
excellent
Flash photography (social)
unrated
Studio / still life
unrated
= community average
Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
thomas2279f
Senior MemberPosts: 2,390Gear list
Like?
Re: A great camera for nearly anything.
In reply to Y Hafting, Mar 21, 2013

Good score wished Canon had put 6d's features of GPS & Wi-fi into the 5d MK 3 - still both great cameras.

thomas2279f's gear list:thomas2279f's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D7000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 +44 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ASR45
Forum ProPosts: 32,139Gear list
Like?
In reply to thomas2279f, Mar 22, 2013

thomas2279f wrote:

Good score wished Canon had put 6d's features of GPS & Wi-fi into the 5d MK 3 - still both great cameras.

I would rather they left them out, sold cheaper i have no need for wifi or gps.  

-- hide signature --

Alan.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
Mark Twain

ASR45's gear list:ASR45's gear list
Canon PowerShot G16 Canon PowerShot G12 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5 II +8 more
Y Hafting
Like?
In reply to thomas2279f, Mar 22, 2013

thomas2279f wrote:

There is a small conflict of interest there-

having an all magnesium body (5D3) vs magnesium and polycarbonate (6D).

The polycarbonate lets wifi and GPS signals through, where the magnesium does not.

For my personal use, a plastic body would probably do entirely, but there is something about having something virtually indestructible. For the proffesional crowd, the reliability is paramount- although neither the 6D nor the 5Diii are made for warzone photography, many would say the 6D is a step down compared to the 5Diii because of the polycarbonate in use (until it is proven otherwise with the 6D).

Personally i believe that the next generation 1' or 5' series probably will see what is deemed success factor among the proffesional crowd for the 6D, and by that i mean wifi/gps/ low light center focus.

-Yngve

SiliconVoid
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
In reply to Y Hafting, Apr 6, 2013
"The camera doesnt get full score for Kids/pets because there are faster AF available"

I get so annoyed by this statement, regardless of the camera in question..
Firstly; the AF 'speed' of the 6D is not slow at all, it is as fast as any other upper-end Canon body and faster in use than most other brands.. Canon's AF performance has been proven time and time again.
What most people inaccurately assess as focus speed is actually a count of AF points, which is a scam fed by the manufacturers - and review sites. If you read DPReview's own chart, they give a higher score to the 6D in AF and Metering - both areas of supposed 'inferiority' - when compared to other brands and models such as the Nikon D600 (the 6D outscores the D600 in that area.)
Secondly; we have been able to take pictures of kids and pets for decades before auto-focusing cameras were even invented! The camera does not need any certain number of AF points, nor be able to predict the movement of a kid in order for you to get a sharp capture. Is the 6D or D600 a camera that one would recommend to every soccer-mom/dad out there who are only concerned with cataloging their child's growth? NO - but because they are WAY more camera than is needed for that usage, NOT because they are not capable of the task in EVERY way.

Y Hafting
Like?
In reply to SiliconVoid, Apr 6, 2013

SiliconVoid wrote:

"The camera doesnt get full score for Kids/pets because there are faster AF available"

I get so annoyed by this statement, regardless of the camera in question..
Firstly; the AF 'speed' of the 6D is not slow at all, it is as fast as any other upper-end Canon body and faster in use than most other brands.. Canon's AF performance has been proven time and time again.
What most people inaccurately assess as focus speed is actually a count of AF points, which is a scam fed by the manufacturers - and review sites. If you read DPReview's own chart, they give a higher score to the 6D in AF and Metering - both areas of supposed 'inferiority' - when compared to other brands and models such as the Nikon D600 (the 6D outscores the D600 in that area.)
Secondly; we have been able to take pictures of kids and pets for decades before auto-focusing cameras were even invented! The camera does not need any certain number of AF points, nor be able to predict the movement of a kid in order for you to get a sharp capture. Is the 6D or D600 a camera that one would recommend to every soccer-mom/dad out there who are only concerned with cataloging their child's growth? NO - but because they are WAY more camera than is needed for that usage, NOT because they are not capable of the task in EVERY way.

Im sorry to have aggravated you, but as a parent myself, i see that there are situations i would desire the extra AF speed and points given in the 5DIII (i don't really care much for nikons at the moment, but i know a lot of people do). Having more focus points is better when tracking a subject (which is something at least i do from time to time with my kids), simply because it is more likely that you will have one point being in a high contrast area. Now the difference may not be much at all, depending on the situation, but it would be foolishly to deny the fact that there may be better options. Still, i too believe the 11 points are enough most of the time.

If you are mostly shooting kids outdoors, running, playing, on a sleigh, bicycling, doing sports of various kind, etc. The 5Diii will have an edge, as it will for any sports shooter. Still i ended up buying the 6D, which i do not regret, but it is because of other features, such as price, wifi, weight, etc. Personally i do rate AF system as more important for kids, hence the review.

And then secondly, i did rate the 6D one notch from the top. I can't say what is right for every mom and dad out there. Most are probably better of not buying a camera at all. But if they are ready to spend money on a DSLR, the 6D is a very good camera. Whether another camera is better or gives higher value/money is of course something each and every has to judge for themselves.

-Yngve

MisterBG
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,043
Like?
In reply to thomas2279f, Apr 6, 2013

thomas2279f wrote:

I'm coming from the other direction.
I have no desire for them, so I wish that Canon had left off the 6D GPS and WiFi (I know they do in some markets) and made the price even lower.
They could have then offered them as add-ons to both the 5D and 6D, for those that need them.

-- hide signature --

>The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.

Canonero
Regular MemberPosts: 413
Like?
Bad for sports or birding

This camera is useless for sports and birding. For birding, unless you have the canon 800mm.

gfspencer
Contributing MemberPosts: 517Gear list
Like?
Re: Bad for sports or birding
In reply to Canonero, Apr 6, 2013

Canonero wrote:

This camera is useless for sports and birding. For birding, unless you have the canon 800mm.

"Useless" is a pretty strong word.  There are certainly better cameras for sports and birding but the 6D is not useless for the two.

gfspencer's gear list:gfspencer's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +5 more
Canonero
Regular MemberPosts: 413
Like?
In reply to gfspencer, Apr 6, 2013

4.5fps for sports? simply NOT. FF for birding? if you have the Canon 800mm, yes.

The post say that is good for almost situations, wich is false.

yodermk
Contributing MemberPosts: 545Gear list
Like?
thanks, great review! and video questions

The best user review of any here, by far (except maybe the first, which was also good).

I've pretty much decided that the 6D will be my next camera (coming from 60D).  My only concern is the video moire.  I hope to do some semipro video so maybe the 5Diii would be better, but I guess that can wait.  Maybe the 6D combined with a future 7Dii would be a winning combo!

I'd be interested in anyone's thoughts on video quality now that it has been out a while.  Is the moire really a deal breaker?

-- hide signature --

If it's a *Single* Lens Reflex, why do I need so many lenses?

yodermk's gear list:yodermk's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS +8 more
Imaginik
Regular MemberPosts: 248Gear list
Like?

I currently have the Rebel T2i (EOS 550D) and can't wait to get the 6D soon. Thanks for writing a concise review with your thoughts. From what I've gathered, the 5D MK III definitely has its advantages if one will need those advantages. Frankly, I don't do videos (my iPhone can do 'family' videos) and all I really care about is the camera's performance when I shoot landscapes, travel shots, and low-light shooting.

-- hide signature --

I'm here to learn

Imaginik's gear list:Imaginik's gear list
Canon PowerShot S70 Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +2 more
Y Hafting
Like?
In reply to Canonero, Apr 6, 2013

Canonero wrote:

4.5fps for sports? simply NOT. FF for birding? if you have the Canon 800mm, yes.

The post say that is good for almost situations, wich is false.

Perhaps if you read down to the third paragraph you would have found this sentence:

"For proffesional action/ sports photography there are better alternatives such as the 5D3."

Personally i put birding into the "action" category, proffesional or not.

My personal reccomandations for canon-birders looking for an upgrade to wait for the next 7D to appear (rumored to appear sometime late this year). But saying the 6D is bad for sports and birding would be as misleading as stating it was the best for the same purpose.

-Yngve

Y Hafting
Like?
Re: thanks, great review! and video questions
In reply to yodermk, Apr 6, 2013

yodermk wrote:

The best user review of any here, by far (except maybe the first, which was also good).

I've pretty much decided that the 6D will be my next camera (coming from 60D).  My only concern is the video moire.  I hope to do some semipro video so maybe the 5Diii would be better, but I guess that can wait.  Maybe the 6D combined with a future 7Dii would be a winning combo!

I'd be interested in anyone's thoughts on video quality now that it has been out a while.  Is the moire really a deal breaker?

-- hide signature --

If it's a *Single* Lens Reflex, why do I need so many lenses?

Thanks, it is good to know it was appreciated

I'm not a videographer, so im not skilled in dealing with moire. I have seen the moire on clothes once, but generally it is not a big issue to me.  If you google "6D moire fix", you find among other things this video, describing the problem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnrrdLQaeBM

if you find the moire here disturbing you will either have to buy a separate antialiasing filter or go with another camera for video.

Apart from the obvious fact that the 6D does not have an earplug, it may adapt to line level audio:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9Q09SpW8Ms

-Yngve

RedFox88
Forum ProPosts: 21,597
Like?
companies dont' want to sell stripped down products!
In reply to ASR45, Apr 7, 2013

ASR45 wrote:

thomas2279f wrote:

Unlikely.  Companies need a certain level of income.  Notice how cars keep adding more and more features to keep the price up.  More and more air bags, auto parking, voice control, etc., etc., etc.  They don't want to sell you a car with a radio and just a rear defroster. They want your money and not less than the last car you paid for!

Spad16
Contributing MemberPosts: 808Gear list
Like?
Good for sports or birding
In reply to Canonero, Apr 7, 2013

Stop being silly, I've posted lots of bird photos here, several people have also posted sports and action. I find it a lot better than my old 40D, which in it's day was one of the best birding cameras. Yngve is right, there are better options in good light, but it really is a very good camera for birding and sports, not many are better.

/Neil

Spad16's gear list:Spad16's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM
Spad16
Contributing MemberPosts: 808Gear list
Like?
Re: thanks, great review! and video questions
In reply to yodermk, Apr 7, 2013

I think I have an an example of the dreaded moire here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeZQ_sluZf8

Look at the stripy orchid on the 4 minute mark. I think this is what they're all talking about? On the other hand I think the video quality on the rest, more than makes up for it. Now I know I'll just be careful about stripy things. I recommend it for video work.

/Neil

Spad16's gear list:Spad16's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM
Graf Spee
New MemberPosts: 12
Like?
Re: companies dont' want to sell stripped down products!
In reply to RedFox88, Apr 7, 2013

RedFox88 wrote:

ASR45 wrote:

thomas2279f wrote:

Unlikely.  Companies need a certain level of income.  Notice how cars keep adding more and more features to keep the price up.  More and more air bags, auto parking, voice control, etc., etc., etc.  They don't want to sell you a car with a radio and just a rear defroster. They want your money and not less than the last car you paid for!

Agree, but that (as almost everything on a camera system) depends on each ones demand. Personaly, I don't have that much of a need of a built in GPS/wi-fi. Could have lived happy saving some coins without them...

I've just had my 6D bought from Fry's store in Indiana last month. Insterting part is the Basic Instruction Manual, which came with the front cover writen "EOS 6D (WG) and "EOS 6D (N)" along with a small note under the front picture of the camera: "The EOS 6D (N) does not have the Wi-Fi and GPS functions explained in this manual."

I've never seen the EOS 6D (N) for sale...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads