PLSrnr
Forum MemberPosts: 57Gear list
Like?
X20 vs X100s @23mm
Mar 21, 2013

Fuji XE-1 Check

Fuji 18-55 2.8-4 Check

Question(s) of the week:

Given the rather large initial price difference between the X100S and the X20, other than the APS-C sensor, does the X100S have any significant low-light/speed advantage over the X20?

In addition, does the X100S have any (presumed) advantage over the forthcoming Fuji 23mm F1.4?

One or the other will be purchased as a back-up for the XE-1 and used primarily street shooting.

Thanks!

PLSrnr's gear list:PLSrnr's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Canon EOS 450D Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +5 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X20
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
itairom
Regular MemberPosts: 430
Like?
Re: X20 vs X100s @23mm
In reply to PLSrnr, Mar 21, 2013

The sensor difference will probably be the biggest issue, comparing to the X20. I'm not hugely familiar with the X20's lens, but I'd imagine the X100s' lens is also likely to be better since it's a prime compared to a zoom. Between the X-E1 and the X100s, the 23mm f/1.4 will obviously be a stop faster, but the combo will also be larger and heavier. Depending on the light levels in question, having an OVF may also be handy, since EVFs can run into some difficulties in low light–lag, noise, etc.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PLSrnr
Like?
In reply to itairom, Mar 21, 2013

itairom wrote:

"23mm f/1.4 will obviously be a stop faster, but the combo will also be larger and heavier. Depending on the light levels in question, having an OVF may also be handy, since EVFs can run into some difficulties in low light–lag, noise, etc."

Thank-you for your reply and insight!

I love the idea of the X100S as a dedicated street camera- the 35mm FOV should more than suffice for low-light shooting as well. Ultimately I'm thinking of totally eliminating my Canon L Lenses in favor of the XE-1 and the three zooms (as they come out) and the X100S.

Still have the Canon 60D and will keep that and Sigma 70 for macro work (until Fuji comes out with a dedicated macro that is). The Fuji 60mm 2.4 is a 1:2 macro from the descriptions I have read.

Canon PowerShot S90 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Canon EOS 450D Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +5 more
Rob13
Senior MemberPosts: 1,116Gear list
Like?

PLSrnr wrote:

Fuji XE-1 Check

Fuji 18-55 2.8-4 Check

Question(s) of the week:

Given the rather large initial price difference between the X100S and the X20, other than the APS-C sensor, does the X100S have any significant low-light/speed advantage over the X20?

In addition, does the X100S have any (presumed) advantage over the forthcoming Fuji 23mm F1.4?

One or the other will be purchased as a back-up for the XE-1 and used primarily street shooting.

Thanks!

I'm having some difficulty understanding your question since you seem to have answered it yourself.  Perhaps you can rephrase your question if the following isn't what you are expecting....

The APS-C sensor size is a HUGE advantage as well as the superior light gathering ability of the X100s resulting is cleaner pictures and the ability to crop your photos should that be necessary and maintain quality to some extent.  Prime lenses generally perform better across the frame than zooms, but you'll need to refer to the lens test results when they become available.  If these things aren't that important to you, than its not worth the "large initial price difference".

There is the difference in DOF and the ability to isolate the subject as well.

Its really difficult to say with certainty anything about a lens that hasn't been made available to the public.  The 23 f/1.4 could be a real dud, OTOH it could be as magical as the 35 f/1.4.  About the only thing that can be said at this point in time, is "its a stop faster, will have shallower DOF and in terms of performance...unknown".

-- hide signature --

Best,
Rob
------------------------------------
R3A M7 M9 X-Pro1 E-M5 X100 DP2

Rob13's gear list:Rob13's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Samsung Galaxy S4 Sony Xperia ZR
Astrophotographer 10
Senior MemberPosts: 4,618Gear list
Like?
In reply to Rob13, Mar 21, 2013

I'd have to say given the lenses and cameras Fuji have put out so far, the risk of the 23mm F1.4 lens being a dud is very very low. Possible but low.

Greg.

lensez
Forum MemberPosts: 97Gear list
Like?

"Given the rather large initial price difference between the X100S and the X20, other than the APS-C sensor, does the X100S have any significant low-light/speed advantage over the X20?"

Other than the sensor, no it doesn't.  They both have fast lenses.  If you want to shoot wide open the X100S might have a little advantage. The X10 only goes down to F2.2 at 23mm (=35FF) versus the X100S of 2.0.  Since the X20 has the same lens as X10, the F2.2 is probably also true for X20.

If you are asking, if the X100S is a much better street camera than the X20 I would say, "Yes,  the X100S is IMHO the best street camera on the market today, now that it has fast AF even in low light and a 16MP X-Trans sensor with no low pass filter."

Here is a "The Camera Store" field test comparison of X20 and X100S that may be helpful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw_H-fH-Fuo&feature=youtube_gdata

-- hide signature --

Gary K

PLSrnr
Like?
In reply to lensez, Mar 22, 2013

Thanks everyone for the timely and polite responses !

Fuji X100S ...Check!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads