Fuji kit lens vs 35 1.4 or 18 f/2

Started Mar 21, 2013 | Discussions
snowboardpunk
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
Fuji kit lens vs 35 1.4 or 18 f/2
Mar 21, 2013

Hey guys I plan on buying the fuji X-E1, moving from a canon t2i with a 35 f/2.

I thought I loved the 50mm FOV but I feel like I want to go wider. I initially wanted the 23 1.4 but thats not out yet. So for now, which do you think is a better option? the kit lens or the 35 1.4 or 18 f/2. I can only afford one and with the 300 dollars off right now when you buy the body makes any of these options viable.

People are saying the kit lens is amazing but is it better than the 35? The 1.4 is just calling my name I usually do street photography and portraits of the whole body, like of outfits.

Canon EOS 550D (EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4) Fujifilm X-E1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
PeterPrism
Senior MemberPosts: 1,057Gear list
Like?
Re: Fuji kit lens vs 35 1.4 or 18 f/2
In reply to snowboardpunk, Mar 21, 2013

35 is more versatile in my opinion. Greetings.

PeterPrism's gear list:PeterPrism's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,385Gear list
Like?

It really comes down to if you want to shoot wide open to get the shallow DOF for the type of photography that you do. If shallow DOF or fastest shutter speeds are not vital than the zoom is fantastic. One lens, great range, sharp and it is stabilized.

For myself the zoom was an easy choice, it also focuses a bit faster than the 35mm. But, it depends on what one is doing. The zoom is a bit sharper than the 18mm prime at 18mm but the prime is much smaller and has f/2. The 18mm and the zoom are close in price.

If you know what shots you are after then the decision is not hard. The zoom has versatility but the primes specialize in other areas. In general, all fuji lenses are sharp. You can start with a zoom and add the 35mm prime later unless you get a package deal.

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
Austin101
Senior MemberPosts: 1,410
Like?

snowboardpunk wrote:

I thought I loved the 50mm FOV but I feel like I want to go wider. I initially wanted the 23 1.4 but thats not out yet. So for now, which do you think is a better option? the kit lens or the 35 1.4 or 18 f/2. I can only afford one and with the 300 dollars off right now when you buy the body makes any of these options viable.

People are saying the kit lens is amazing but is it better than the 35? The 1.4 is just calling my name I usually do street photography and portraits of the whole body, like of outfits.

I personally find the 35 f1.4 50 FoV too narrow for street and if that's what you are used to then the 18mm 28 FoV might be too wide, I'd go with the 18-55mm zoom, its a good lens but nothing super special but would do for street and portraits, that said if you only intend to use one lens and like primes the maybe the x100s would be better, faster focusing than the X-E1 and more compact plus you get a 35mm FoV f2 lens

Imagefoundry
Regular MemberPosts: 269
Like?

optically, XF 35mm F/1.4 is probably the best lens I currently have, dollar for dollar. So if you can do with that focal length then that's the one to get.

I like 18mm well enough, it's smaller and AF is much faster but it's not in the same class as 35mm. Plus it's too wide for my taste.

digby dart
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,163
Like?

Might be worth heading over to the site: http://www.photozone.de/all-tests

They have done some tests on the 3 primes and the 18-55mm f2.8-4 in the Fuji range with an x-pro1, the results show the zoom to be more than impressive.

Of the very competitive market of 17(18)-50(55)mm lenses, the fuji has clearly the best resolution, even bettering the venerable (and very expensive) Nikon non vr 17-55mm f2.8.

The Fuji 35mm is sharpest around f5.6 and f8.

35mm is most often the weakest point of the zooms in this 17(18)-50(55)mm focal range, this is also true of the fuji zoom, though comparing the mtf graphs of the fuji 35mm prime and the 18-55mm at 35mm they are pretty close - the fuji zoom is that good.

You wont get the buttery bokeh from the zoom at 35mm that you will from the 35mm prime though you can see for yourself the bokeh from the fuji zoom is still very good indeed.

Again the 35mm prime is better for bokeh with f1.4 wide open and obviously better in low light, though the low light difference is somewhat mitigated by the OIS on the zoom which is worth at least two stops (for non moving targets).

Remember the 60mm fuji prime is likely the best of the three fuji primes so far and wide open it is only at 2.4 with no OIS.

I don't think you can loose on the fuji zoom, its better than lenses worth twice the price (and certainly better built) and in my view likely to be the sharpest lens in that very competitive (and often very expensive) focal range.

As a camera lens kit both the 35mm and 18-55mm are a gift with the x-e1.

Other stuff besides mtf resolution like distortion, chromatic aberration, fringing and the like can be corrected - resolution is a different matter so its very important. Of course I am assuming 'Sharpening' doesn't look like better native mtf resolution.

Even if you manage to collect all three f1.4 primes for the fuji after they all become available, there will be many occasions when a single high resolution zoom lens will be worth its weight in gold for the quick framing flexibility.

More a rant than a help, perhaps, though if you go to the aforementioned site you can decide for yourself - best regards and good luck.

itairom
Regular MemberPosts: 430
Like?

They're all lenses with different purposes. Sometimes you need a zoom for the flexibility, sometimes you can take your time and benefit from using a prime. Personally, if I could only have one lens for an X-E1 it'd be the 35mm f/1.4. But if you feel like you want something wider, then go for the zoom. It is a nice lens, just not as nice as the 35 in overall IQ. But when you need a zoom, no prime lens is going to do.

e268
Senior MemberPosts: 1,265
Like?
In reply to itairom, Mar 21, 2013

If you buy an adapter, you could use your 35 f/2 as well, altho in manual mode.

snowboardpunk
Like?

hmmm Yea I do want to go wider but then I want that 1.4 gahhh and I cant wait for the 23 since I just sold my t2i. Maybe Ill buy both to try out. hopefully I dont fall in love with both

I thought about the x100 or x100s but cant justify paying that much with out having an ICL.

I was pretty sure id move on to full frame for my next body or just upgrade my lens... who would of known id spend 1400 on a fuji.

Also with the x-e1 does anyone have huge problems with the laggy EVF, and I was looking at pictures, but the pictures on the screen dont look as nice as they did on my t2i, is that normal?

57even
Senior MemberPosts: 6,347
Like?
Get zoom now, and then.....

snowboardpunk wrote:

see what focal length you actually end up using most. By then the 23 F1.4 will be out and should be a cracker.

If I only had one lens, the zoom would not disappoint. It's not quite as sharp as the 35, better than the 18 and better than any kit zoom has any right to be (it's not far off my 24-70 F2.8 Nikkor).

The only thing I'd miss would be the very nice bokeh on the 35, but like I said when you get a feel for what you need, get the 23 or 35 later. I would find the 23 a lot more useful to be honest if I could only have one prime.

DominicNguyen
Contributing MemberPosts: 684Gear list
Like?

I was hoping for the 23mm as well, but guess the 35mm have to do for now.  I always preferred prime, so that was an obvious choice for me.  Once the 23mm and the 56mm are out, the 35mm will have to go.  That would be the perfect combo for my X-E1.  The fast aperture of the prime is at least 2 stops faster than the zoom.  There are some things OIS can't do that the faster aperture can, and it goes both ways.

Dominic

DominicNguyen's gear list:DominicNguyen's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R
Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,385Gear list
Like?

snowboardpunk wrote:

hmmm Yea I do want to go wider but then I want that 1.4 gahhh and I cant wait for the 23 since I just sold my t2i. Maybe Ill buy both to try out. hopefully I dont fall in love with both

I thought about the x100 or x100s but cant justify paying that much with out having an ICL.

I was pretty sure id move on to full frame for my next body or just upgrade my lens... who would of known id spend 1400 on a fuji.

Also with the x-e1 does anyone have huge problems with the laggy EVF, and I was looking at pictures, but the pictures on the screen dont look as nice as they did on my t2i, is that normal?

Maybe it is best to simply the zoom and pick up the 23mm prime later in the year. This will give you everything you need but the 23mm prime will not be very small, the 27mm f/2.8 prime will be and hsould be out earlier.

You established you want fast so the other question is the range you shoot, and are you good with a single FL. Another option might be to get a discounted X100 and when the fuji  primes are all out pick up a X-body and a set of lenses that meets your needs and sell the X100. The dropped price for an X100 makes this a good temporary investment.

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
snowboardpunk
Like?
In reply to Al Valentino, Mar 21, 2013

Al Valentino wrote:

snowboardpunk wrote:

Maybe it is best to simply the zoom and pick up the 23mm prime later in the year. This will give you everything you need but the 23mm prime will not be very small, the 27mm f/2.8 prime will be and hsould be out earlier.

You established you want fast so the other question is the range you shoot, and are you good with a single FL. Another option might be to get a discounted X100 and when the fuji primes are all out pick up a X-body and a set of lenses that meets your needs and sell the X100. The dropped price for an X100 makes this a good temporary investment.

Hmmm this is seems like a good option too. pick up the x100, seems like I may be able to get a used for 500ish and then pick up the xe1 or hopefully xe2 with a 23 mm. I am fine with primes but would want two primes, semi wide like the 23 and a longer prime like a 56 or 85 and such.  or one prime and a longer zoom.

snowboardpunk
Like?
In reply to DominicNguyen, Mar 21, 2013

DominicNguyen wrote:

I was hoping for the 23mm as well, but guess the 35mm have to do for now. I always preferred prime, so that was an obvious choice for me. Once the 23mm and the 56mm are out, the 35mm will have to go. That would be the perfect combo for my X-E1. The fast aperture of the prime is at least 2 stops faster than the zoom. There are some things OIS can't do that the faster aperture can, and it goes both ways.

Dominic

Im used to having a 35 mm with a crop sensor as well, so I may go with this route. I just dont know and that 300 dollars off doesnt help either.

david6785
Regular MemberPosts: 237
Like?
In reply to snowboardpunk, Mar 22, 2013

The 35 is better for me because I can use it any situation which I can't with the zoom when the lights go down. The 35 really spoils you once you get used to shooting with it then going to a slow zoom.  I'm also hooked on the shallow depth of the field the 35 produces.

DTwigg
New MemberPosts: 13
Like?
In reply to david6785, Mar 22, 2013

I was in the same position as the OP a week ago. I bought the X-E1 and finally ended up with the 35/1.4. My thinking was that I intend to eventually get (when they are available) the 55-200 and the 10-24. The 35 sets between those in FL and gives me 1.4 speed if that is needed.

YMMV, Dave

smatty
Senior MemberPosts: 1,817Gear list
Like?
XF18 f/2 is more versatile vs. 35mm
In reply to snowboardpunk, Mar 22, 2013

Especially if you want to do street and whole body shots the 18mm let's you be more flexible. I use my 18mm about 80% of the time on my X-Pro 1 and generally only attache the 35mm for face portraits.

Here are samples of what I have shot with the X-Pro 1 and the 18mm lens in the past year:

http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=7916657@N02&q=xf%2018mm

But if a fixed focal length is not a must, the kit zoom is the most versatile of the 3, of course

Cheers,
Smatty
=> Homepage
=> Recent Flickr Photos

smatty's gear list:smatty's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D +18 more
PeterPrism
Senior MemberPosts: 1,057Gear list
Like?
In reply to snowboardpunk, Mar 24, 2013

snowboardpunk wrote:

With 45 ° angle of view,  the 35 mm (50 in  full format) provides the same view of the human eye (no peripheral vision but the one perfectly focused). Therefore, it is veeeeery "natural." The 35 it is actually good for "all" or for "nothing" ... This  lack of specialization makes it unique. You can do portraits (half-length) ), landscapes, close-ups, architectural details, a little 'street. Often the 35 (50) is "forgotten" but in reality it is a  versatile optic and also, in the case fuji, very correct and very bright. The 18 (27) is fabulous but is markedly specialized. It's not good for portraits (only for groups) because it introduces too much distortion for a face, also for the architecture introduces distortions barely inclined. For the street is better than 35 (50) but not good as the 23 (35). For the street the perfect optical I believe this is. So in the end, or you buy the 18-55 zoom and forget the opening of F1.4 and at the formidable quality of the 35 (50) or you wait for the 23 (35) or you... use the 35 (obvious this in my opinion) Cheers!

PeterPrism's gear list:PeterPrism's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads