Good shots.

It's an ideal "take everywhere" camera.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
salla30
Senior MemberPosts: 2,289Gear list
Like?
Re: RX100 vs. Alpha NEX
In reply to gdecourt, Mar 28, 2013

Just got back from an intensive photographic sightseeing trip with my wife's school, as a bit of a tourist, and unofficial photographer of the group. Had an interesting time of it, taking both my NEX 5N with 18-55 kit lens and the RX100 and swapping a lot between them.

The RX100 definitely has the better lens IMO, it's noticeably sharper at screen res AND has better geometry.

The NEX 5N has quite a lot better DR, and is less "picky", ie it's more forgiving and easier to get a good (technically) shot. And it has better bokeh of course.

It's a "nicer" more comfortable photographing experience ergonomically.

The RX100 is harder work, but oddly more satisfying because of it. You have to strive to get the best from it. It's like a Ferrari F40 compared to a point and squirt AMG Merc, , and the results can be really stunning as long as you don't push it too hard and "spin out", to use the car analogy.

I have learned a lot by having the RX100 about the technicalities of photography and hopefully have become a better photographer as a result.

If I had to choose, I would definitely choose the RX100. But I am also very glad I had the NEX 5N first and still have it!

I am seriously considering getting a CZ 24mm prime lens for my NEX 5n now, having seen what the Zeiss on the RX100 is capable of...

salla30's gear list:salla30's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Sony RX100 II Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS
SimonV
Regular MemberPosts: 182Gear list
Like?
In reply to salla30, Mar 28, 2013

I am seriously considering getting a CZ 24mm prime lens for my NEX 5n now, having seen what the Zeiss on the RX100 is capable of...

I really recommend the Zeiss 24mm, the sharpness is amazing, and it seems to produce some great color as well. Not cheap, but well worth the money, especially if you can find it second hand.

salla30
Like?
In reply to SimonV, Mar 28, 2013

Thanks for the tip Simon.

Do you have it? how much do you use it? is it generally versatile? Am trying to keep my NEX at 24mm on the zoom to emulate the FL to see if i can live with it generally. My feeling is that I can always whip out the RX100 if i need a bit more reach on the zoom and Im out and about. Quite oddly it's a lot cheaper here in switzerland than elsewhere, at around 750 usd or 550 gbp. Makes it all the more tempting!

SimonV
Like?
In reply to salla30, Mar 28, 2013

salla30 wrote:

Thanks for the tip Simon.

Do you have it? how much do you use it? is it generally versatile? Am trying to keep my NEX at 24mm on the zoom to emulate the FL to see if i can live with it generally. My feeling is that I can always whip out the RX100 if i need a bit more reach on the zoom and Im out and about. Quite oddly it's a lot cheaper here in switzerland than elsewhere, at around 750 usd or 550 gbp. Makes it all the more tempting!

I have it, it's the lens I use the most on my NEX. I think the 24mm (35mm FF equivalent) focal length is pretty much the most versatile focal length you can get. 50mm equivalent is considered good as well but can be a bit narrow at times. Wider lenses can be a bit too wide as well to be versatile enough.

You will of course have the reach with the RX100. I think the Zeiss 24mm and the RX100 would make a good complementary couple (I'm considering buying the RX100 to be my always-with-me camera), the NEX for critical shots where you need the image quality, and the RX100 for those shots where you wouldn't have the NEX with you.

salla30
Like?
In reply to SimonV, Mar 29, 2013

Thanks for that. It pushes me ever closer...

Plus, in the back of my mind, am thinking, if the FF Nex comes out, and it's ever within budget for me, the Zeiss will be one of the natural partners for it. Maybe make it a little wide, but an excellent "starter" lens for it! Have you ever noticed how a big price can suddenly seem rational when we REALLY want something ?

Digital Nigel
Senior MemberPosts: 1,926Gear list
Like?
In reply to salla30, Mar 29, 2013

salla30 wrote:

Plus, in the back of my mind, am thinking, if the FF Nex comes out, and it's ever within budget for me, the Zeiss will be one of the natural partners for it. Maybe make it a little wide, but an excellent "starter" lens for it! Have you ever noticed how a big price can suddenly seem rational when we REALLY want something ?

Surely you won't get ff images if you use that  (APS-C) lens with a ff NEX?  In effect, you'll get a cropped APS image.

Digital Nigel's gear list:Digital Nigel's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +7 more
salla30
Like?
In reply to Digital Nigel, Mar 29, 2013

oops.  I am not technically minded with lenses. This is a first foray. I guess you are right!

thanks for that.

SimonV
Like?
In reply to salla30, Mar 29, 2013

salla30 wrote:

Indeed. "Wow, that lens is 700 dollars. But at least it isn't this 2000 dollar lens I could also get, so it's actually pretty cheap!".

Yeah, I know what you're talking about.

salla30
Like?
In reply to SimonV, Mar 29, 2013

aha

Im using that rationale; its 800 dollars for the Zeiss, but it could be worse, like 2800 dollars for the RX1!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads