How durable is the NEX-6 in various weather conditions?

Started Mar 21, 2013 | Questions
bluesky95
Junior MemberPosts: 31
Like?
How durable is the NEX-6 in various weather conditions?
Mar 21, 2013

I've posted several questions now pertaining to my search for a new camera already. I love most aspects of the NEX-6 but as I travel a lot and live in a city with extreme winters, I'd like to ask about this issue.

How does it hold up in light rain, snow, cold and hot temperatures, humidity, etc.?

Where I live, we get tons of snow and it gets fairly cold and windy. I snowboard on the mountains here, and wouldn't mind taking the camera up with me sometimes if possible. Soon I'll be traveling to some very humid/hot locations, which may also have sudden and random rain showers. And in a couple months I'll be climbing a mountain or two (nothing extreme). I love the big sensor-camera size/weight ratio of the NEX6 but is the lack of weather sealing a deal breaker in my case? What do you think?

I know the OM-D is often compared to the NEX and has weather-sealing... but the ergonomics really bother me and the sensor is much smaller.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
zackiedawg
Forum ProPosts: 21,108Gear list
Like?
Re: How durable is the NEX-6 in various weather conditions?
In reply to bluesky95, Mar 21, 2013

Can't help you with the snow - but can vouch for the NEX durability in rain, humidity, heat, and all forms of tropical weather.  No problems so far for me with two NEX bodies over the past 2+ years in some of the very hottest and most humid weather on the planet - mine have gotten wet in sudden rainstorms, misted on, fogged over with condensation almost daily, blowing sand and dust clouds enveloping them, covered in ants and gnats, thrown into Ziploc bags in ferocious thunderstorms and downpours, and been liberally coated in salt spray.  No glitches from either body with normal, logical maintenance - dabbing water gently off the body, keeping important openings and cracks free of debris, always wiping down the body when corrosive materials get on it, etc.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
AlanB1976
Regular MemberPosts: 173
Like?
In reply to zackiedawg, Mar 21, 2013

I used it in Norway at between -5 and -10 C. Didn't have any problems, short of diminished battery life which was expected.

isvana
Regular MemberPosts: 203Gear list
Like?
Re: How durable is the NEX-6 in various weather conditions? Nothing special...

I'd hesitate to use it without a protective case (or bag) in very inclement weather. For persistent wet conditions - assuming they are OK for any photography! - I use a small waterproof camera instead and keep the NEX in the backpack!

isvana's gear list:isvana's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Sony Alpha NEX-6
uhligfd
Senior MemberPosts: 1,151
Like?
Re: How durable is the NEX-6 in various weather conditions? Nothing special...
In reply to isvana, Mar 21, 2013

I have always been more concerned about my own wet feet, iced over fingers etc than my cameras and I assume with you too are the weakest link in the pursuit of photos in extreme climates, not any camera you might bring along.

Of course i keep my gear out of pelting downpours. Would you not? But otherwise, I am the weakling by nature and by very much!

Evildoertsui
New MemberPosts: 2Gear list
Like?

Have been using my NEX 6 during winter time in Canada...been out thewhole afternoon snowing and -30C shooting polar bear outdoor at local zoo...after I'm done, about a inch of snow was on top of my body (camera and me) and lens...(55-210)...no problem at all except of battery life...I went through 2 and a half battery on that afternoon...

Eric

Evildoertsui's gear list:Evildoertsui's gear list
Nikon D70s Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Sony a6000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +34 more
Demoz
New MemberPosts: 18
Like?
In reply to zackiedawg, May 24, 2013

zackiedawg wrote:

Can't help you with the snow - but can vouch for the NEX durability in rain, humidity, heat, and all forms of tropical weather.  No problems so far for me with two NEX bodies over the past 2+ years in some of the very hottest and most humid weather on the planet - mine have gotten wet in sudden rainstorms, misted on, fogged over with condensation almost daily, blowing sand and dust clouds enveloping them, covered in ants and gnats, thrown into Ziploc bags in ferocious thunderstorms and downpours, and been liberally coated in salt spray.  No glitches from either body with normal, logical maintenance - dabbing water gently off the body, keeping important openings and cracks free of debris, always wiping down the body when corrosive materials get on it, etc.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

Thanks for the info. After losing my RX-100 to couple drops of rain (such a flimsy camera, it was only 8 months old) I was hesitant to spend any money on any Sony products. Now I am considering Nex-5R, and durability becomes very important factor for me. I am not going to submerge my camera in water, but Sony shouldn't expect their products to be used in always perfect sunny days either.

Cailean Gallimore
Senior MemberPosts: 6,082
Like?
In reply to bluesky95, May 24, 2013

Luck is a factor, because all it takes to kill the electronics of the camera is one drop of water in the wrong place.

ChangshaNotes
Forum MemberPosts: 64Gear list
Like?
In reply to bluesky95, May 24, 2013

The NEX had a lot less trouble in -30C temperatures than I did.

ChangshaNotes's gear list:ChangshaNotes's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Apple Aperture +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads