WX300 Review

Started Mar 21, 2013 | Discussions
Trigwynt
Junior MemberPosts: 40
Like?
WX300 Review
Mar 21, 2013
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
elliottnewcomb
Senior MemberPosts: 5,802Gear list
Like?
Re: WX300 Review
In reply to Trigwynt, Mar 21, 2013

thanks for posting the link.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
AndyHWC
Senior MemberPosts: 1,484
Like?
In reply to Trigwynt, Mar 21, 2013

Thanks, WX300 is on my watch list, mainly for video.  Hopefully it has better lowlight video performance than WX50/HX30V.   CA is a bad news but this is common for long zoom.

Canon just announced SX280IS.  Looks good but most features are just catchup to Sony.  Advantages are 1080p60 and excellent IQ.  I am leaning to the WX300.

Stephen McDonald
Forum ProPosts: 11,917
Like?
In reply to AndyHWC, Mar 21, 2013

Usually, these 2nd-rate review websites jump all over themselves, giving favorable ratings to any camera that passes their way. That they found the photo quality to be so poor and to have bad CA, says something. Certainly, it's no good substitute for the HX20/HX30, which aren't going to be continued with upgraded models. If such a model interests you, look to another brand or grab an HX20/HX30, while they're still available.

-- hide signature --
notime
Contributing MemberPosts: 789
Like?
In reply to Trigwynt, Mar 22, 2013

Nice that the WX300 wifi includes full wifi control (like picture taking) with remote viewing on smartphone.
I bet that would be nice on the HX300

camguy2002
Junior MemberPosts: 27
Like?
In reply to Stephen McDonald, Apr 5, 2013

Stephen McDonald wrote:

it's no good substitute for the HX20/HX30, which aren't going to be continued with upgraded models If such a model interests you, look to another brand or grab an HX20/HX30, while they're still available.

Why do you think Sony is not continuing the HX20/HX30 upgrades? I am very disappointed if they do that. I thought Sony was making huge strides since the days of the HX5V.

notime
Contributing MemberPosts: 789
Like?
In reply to camguy2002, Apr 5, 2013

Stephen McDonald wrote:

it's no good substitute for the HX20/HX30, which aren't going to be continued with upgraded models If such a model interests you, look to another brand or grab an HX20/HX30, while they're still available.

Why do you think Sony is not continuing the HX20/HX30 upgrades? I am very disappointed if they do that. I thought Sony was making huge strides since the days of the HX5V.

It's very curious to me, too.
With limited resources, Sony may be concentrating on an RX10 (with more zoom than the RX100?) because the RX line is more profitable?

But still, very weird. On other forums, it seems more people are interested in a travel zoom than a bridge (which may be an incomplete sample)

camguy2002
Junior MemberPosts: 27
Like?
In reply to notime, Apr 5, 2013

notime wrote:

Stephen McDonald wrote:

With limited resources, Sony may be concentrating on an RX10 (with more zoom than the RX100?) because the RX line is more profitable?

But still, very weird. On other forums, it seems more people are interested in a travel zoom than a bridge (which may be an incomplete sample)

I did some digging and did some of my own analysis. Compact zoom cameras have gained popularity ever since the Panasonic TZ1 came out back in 2006. The TZ1 packed 10x optical zoom (Which at the time was witchcraft considering how small the TZ1 was relatively to other cams that had 10x zoom), compact (sorta), and reasonably priced. Canon jumped on the band wagon with the SX series and Sony with the HX series followed suit. Hell, even Samsung and Nikon jumped on the bandwagon releasing their own compact zooms in 2008-2009.

2012 was clearly the year of Sony cameras. Especially for the HX20V series. Pics were sharp (Sharper then the famed Canon SX260). HD videos taken at 60p were jaw dropping and rivaled that of handheld HD cameras.

2013 was the revenge of Canon, Panasonic and Nikon. Canon is releasing the new SX280 which features ISO6400, 20x lens and other goodies. The Panasonic ZS30 is now packing a touch screen in the rear, multi-axis IS for video and its lighter and thinner then the HX20V. The Nikon S9500 now features a 22x zoom! Obviously, compact zooms are popular. As of this writing, J&R had stock in the beginning of April, and sold out within a couple of days of the ZS30. B&H had stash of ZS30 and now its showing back to "Pre-order".

So how does Sony come back and fight off the impressive SX280 and ZS30? The WX300..... This camera is a joke when compared to the older HX20V model. Lower rez LCD screen, less sharp images (when compared with HX20V), no 60p video (shoots in 60i), and no manual mode. I'm probably missing other cons, but this is just me going on top of my head.

If Sony doesn't continue the upgrade path for the HX20V, they are simply foolish. This is why Sony is no longer the brand they used to be back in the 90's. They keep making stupid mistakes like this.

Marti58
Marti58 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 18,689Gear list
Like?

camguy2002 wrote:

notime wrote:

Stephen McDonald wrote:

I did some digging and did some of my own analysis. Compact zoom cameras have gained popularity ever since the Panasonic TZ1 came out back in 2006. The TZ1 packed 10x optical zoom (Which at the time was witchcraft considering how small the TZ1 was relatively to other cams that had 10x zoom), compact (sorta), and reasonably priced. Canon jumped on the band wagon with the SX series and Sony with the HX series followed suit. Hell, even Samsung and Nikon jumped on the bandwagon releasing their own compact zooms in 2008-2009.

2012 was clearly the year of Sony cameras. Especially for the HX20V series. Pics were sharp (Sharper then the famed Canon SX260). HD videos taken at 60p were jaw dropping and rivaled that of handheld HD cameras.

2013 was the revenge of Canon, Panasonic and Nikon. Canon is releasing the new SX280 which features ISO6400, 20x lens and other goodies. The Panasonic ZS30 is now packing a touch screen in the rear, multi-axis IS for video and its lighter and thinner then the HX20V. The Nikon S9500 now features a 22x zoom! Obviously, compact zooms are popular. As of this writing, J&R had stock in the beginning of April, and sold out within a couple of days of the ZS30. B&H had stash of ZS30 and now its showing back to "Pre-order".

So how does Sony come back and fight off the impressive SX280 and ZS30? The WX300..... This camera is a joke when compared to the older HX20V model. Lower rez LCD screen, less sharp images (when compared with HX20V), no 60p video (shoots in 60i), and no manual mode. I'm probably missing other cons, but this is just me going on top of my head.

If Sony doesn't continue the upgrade path for the HX20V, they are simply foolish. This is why Sony is no longer the brand they used to be back in the 90's. They keep making stupid mistakes like this.

its not foolish, its well known for sometime that the P&S market is declining for some years in a row, Sony has proven that the RX100 is succesfull, so i expect we gonna see more cameras like that, based on the number of posts from the HX10/20/30 in this forum since they came to market i dont think they have been sold well. ( this count for more models ) even reduced prices dont make them sell to well.

it might be possible we see something like we saw before with the S series of Canon, Sony  RX110 RX120 or something like that with small improvements.

-- hide signature --

*All my Post Processing is done with Capture NX2*
Flickr Photo's
Galleries on DPR

Marti58's gear list:Marti58's gear list
Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Samsung HZ35W Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon Coolpix P500 +25 more
ncsakany
Senior MemberPosts: 1,366Gear list
Like?
About that ZS30...

camguy2002 wrote:

Let me tell you about that ZS30 - the image quality, even at base ISO, is atrocious when compared with last year's HX30V, which itself was no golden standard mind you. The ZS30 is a textbook definition of "good on paper, bad in bed". Yes, the camera is thin and light; the touch-screen is responsive and high-resolution and the build quality top-notch - but these are hardly defining features for a camera.

Here's a SOOC JPG from the ZS30:

ncsakany's gear list:ncsakany's gear list
RX100 III Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +4 more
AndyHWC
Senior MemberPosts: 1,484
Like?

camguy2002 wrote:

Keep in mind that WX300 is more like a WX50 than a HX20/30.  Basically somehow Sony managed to squeeze a 20x optic into the WX50 body with double battery life, not too bad imo.  Early reviews suggest its PQ is comparable to SX260, HX20/30 or even better the ZS25 but I will wait for result from majors before making any conclusion.  Not to mention Sony tends to trade noise reduction over detail.  I prefer Canon's approach more but I weigth more on video and portability on a P&S.  If I am serious about PQ, I always rely on DSLR.

ron2000
Senior MemberPosts: 1,208
Like?
In reply to AndyHWC, Apr 8, 2013

WX series are compact (really compact) compared to HX20/30 series which are reasonably compact.

You cannot squeeze everything from a HX20/30 into a WX body.

So something has to give.

Both have followers.

tokyojerry
Junior MemberPosts: 37Gear list
Like?
In reply to camguy2002, 11 months ago

camguy2002 wrote:

Stephen McDonald wrote:

Very late to the game on this thread, but just FYI, the HX30V has been upgraded and superceded by the Sony HX50V. It has been on the market for some time now. ( September 24, 2013 @ 5:25 PM )

-- hide signature --

Jerry Suppan
(a.k.a. tokyojerry)
Tokyo, Japan

tokyojerry's gear list:tokyojerry's gear list
Casio Exilim EX-ZR700 Fujifilm XQ1 Sony Alpha 7
tokyojerry
Junior MemberPosts: 37Gear list
Like?
In reply to camguy2002, 11 months ago

The HX30V has been upgraded and superceded, by the HX50V.  As for the WX300 being a so-called 'joke',  well, it is also considerably cheaper then the 30V or 50V as well.

-- hide signature --

Jerry Suppan
(a.k.a. tokyojerry)
Tokyo, Japan

tokyojerry's gear list:tokyojerry's gear list
Casio Exilim EX-ZR700 Fujifilm XQ1 Sony Alpha 7
OpticsEngineer
Senior MemberPosts: 2,244Gear list
Like?
In reply to tokyojerry, 11 months ago

I realize this thread started 5 months ago, but with some recent comments on HX20V I would just like to add I find the WX300 and HX20V give extremely similar image quality. I will post a couple of comparison shots and there are some other ones in my gallery. The WX300 does not have the macro capability of the HX20V however.

The WX300 is like the RX100 ... conceived as super pocketable so you have it with you all the time. A real cell phone fighter. I take my WX300 with me every time I go jogging and generally just have a lot of fun with it.   For pictures, HX20V on top/ W300 on bottom.

Once in a while I think I wish I had a RX100 with me on my jog because I will see something interesting that the RX100 would do better with.  But that is a lot of money for a jogging camera.   And the 20Xof the WX300 is very useful at times.  My WX150 withstood 2000 miles of jogging and three drops with no ill effect so I think Sony build standards meet my needs fine.  The WX300 looks better built with a more sturdy case instead of the split front/back shells the WX150 and many other Sony cameras share.  (My TX55 survived four drops with no problems but then on the fifth drop on concrete hit the corner just right so the front/back shells separated on the corner.  The TX55 still works though.)

OpticsEngineer's gear list:OpticsEngineer's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX20V Fujifilm XF1 +19 more
LSHorwitz1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,097Gear list
Like?
In reply to OpticsEngineer, 11 months ago

I totally agree with the comment in the prior post stating that the WX300 and HX20/30 take very similar still photos. I own both, but only carry the HX when I expect to also shoot videos.

The WX300 is a fabulous travel point and shoot.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads