Help! Sizable dust in SEL50 lens :(

Started Mar 21, 2013 | Discussions
geminihc
Forum MemberPosts: 97
Like?
Help! Sizable dust in SEL50 lens :(
Mar 21, 2013

well, good news first is that it doesnt really show in my pictures. but this is the dust that is somehow trapped just after the first element inside. i bought this lens used and that person said it wasn't there when he used it. any tips in getting it out..?

aap292
Regular MemberPosts: 132
Like?
Re: Help! Sizable dust in SEL50 lens :(
In reply to geminihc, Mar 21, 2013

It will most likely fall off at some point and get stuck somewhere else in the lens, I doubt you will find an easy way to "clean" it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
santiclaws
Contributing MemberPosts: 712
Like?

well, good news first is that it doesnt really show in my pictures. but this is the dust that is somehow trapped just after the first element inside. i bought this lens used and that person said it wasn't there when he used it. any tips in getting it out..?

Who cares? It won't affect your pictures, so the issue is purely cosmetic. In any case, I am not aware of any method of getting rid of it without disassembling the lens.

Zhe Zhang
Regular MemberPosts: 160Gear list
Like?
In reply to santiclaws, Mar 21, 2013

There was a thread about how he got dust out of a SEL18200 with a vacuum. Be careful if you want to try it though.

I vacuumed the dust out of my SEL 18-200mm lens.

Zhe Zhang's gear list:Zhe Zhang's gear list
NEX5R Sony Alpha NEX-3N +3 more
Raf007
Regular MemberPosts: 174
Like?

It may sound stupid but are you sure that it is dust not a reflection? I fooled myself once thinking that I got dust inside my new lenses what turned out to be just a reflection. You may turn the lenses 180 degree to see if the dust particle is moving with the lenses. Primes are less likely to be affected with dust that zooms which suck in the air everytime you zoom in. And even if it is dust such a small particle shouldn't bother at all.

RonFrank
Senior MemberPosts: 1,786Gear list
Like?
In reply to geminihc, Mar 22, 2013

It is likely you will introduce more dust than you would remove should you take the lens apart.  Why worry?  If it bugs you that much you can have it professionally cleaned. Hardly worth the cost however as this is a low cost lens.....  Sell it if it really bugs you.

-- hide signature --
 RonFrank's gear list:RonFrank's gear list
Nikon D1X Nikon D200 Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +5 more
Sagiluck
Junior MemberPosts: 47Gear list
Like?
In reply to RonFrank, Mar 22, 2013

my sel18-55 have similar case like your sel50 too. tried the vacumn method and got it out in less than 5 seconds.

Sagiluck's gear list:Sagiluck's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS +2 more
Sonyshine
Senior MemberPosts: 5,312Gear list
Like?
In reply to Sagiluck, Mar 22, 2013

Just vacuumed some of my old legacy lenses which were dusty - now they are sparkling clean inside - it works well!

Sonyshine's gear list:Sonyshine's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-QX10 Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +6 more
Raf007
Regular MemberPosts: 174
Like?
In reply to Sonyshine, Apr 6, 2013

I was a bit sceptical but I tried it on one of my lenses and it worked beautifully.

uhligfd
Senior MemberPosts: 1,307
Like?
In reply to Raf007, Apr 6, 2013

Did you by chance overlook the beam near the exit pupil of that lens? An old biblical quote, your dilemma.

Take pictures, live, relax. There is even dust in your own eyes right now as is everywhere ...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads