Upgrading from K-5 to K-5 IIs

Started Mar 21, 2013 | User reviews
Xiaomao
Senior MemberPosts: 1,202Gear list
Like?
Upgrading from K-5 to K-5 IIs
Mar 21, 2013

I started DSLR with K-x, upgraded to K-5 and have been using K-5 for about 2 years. K-5 was already a landmark, great in every aspect.

K-5 IIs reached me 2 weeks ago. I must say that K-5 IIs put a diamond on the crown. I've tried all my lenses (DA 15, 70, 18-135, FA 31, DA L55-300, DFA 50, A35-105 ... ..., even the modified Ricoh Zoom P 28-210 and Ricoh P 50) on it. Wow, it has sharpened all my existing lenses. Images are surprsingly sharper than K-5, and focusing speed is more impressive... ... Controls are all the same as those of K-5. I'm most satisfied with the new camera. The removal of the anti-alias filter (and other latest technologies) brought a new life to K-5.
--
Best regards,
Yang

Xiaomao's gear list:Xiaomao's gear list
Leica D-LUX 4 Pentax K-5 IIs Leica T
Xiaomao's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
excellent
Action / sports
excellent
Landscapes / scenery
excellent
Portraits
excellent
Low light (without flash)
excellent
Flash photography (social)
excellent
Studio / still life
excellent
= community average
Nikon Coolpix L5 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-x Sony SLT-A35
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
sandglass
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Re: Upgrading from K-5 to K-5 IIs
In reply to Xiaomao, Apr 21, 2013

Xiaomao wrote:

I started DSLR with K-x, upgraded to K-5 and have been using K-5 for about 2 years. K-5 was already a landmark, great in every aspect.

K-5 IIs reached me 2 weeks ago. I must say that K-5 IIs put a diamond on the crown. ... Wow, it has sharpened all my existing lenses. Images are surprsingly sharper than K-5, and focusing speed is more impressive... ...
--
Best regards,
Yang

currently I work with the K-01 and K-30 coming from a Nikon D7000 an not beeing 100% satisfied with it.

especially the K-30 tends to produce some moire in really extreme situations only.
there is no reasonable way to control it. normally I use fine structures to test lenses. moire occurs only within this artificial test environment.
can 16MP images be even sharper and more clear?
it seems so.

the example shots mostly available in the net are shot with very high or maximum contrast. this makes it difficuld to rate the quality of the images.

the images in this review of the pentax smc 18-270:

www-dot-pentaxforums-dot-com/reviews/pentax-da-18-270mm-f35-63-ed-sdm/introduction.html

where taken by an K-5ii s.
not the best source for a decision for the K-5iis or against it. but quite informative.

thank You for the review. it helps me to consider the 5iis seriously.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MightyMike
Forum ProPosts: 30,965
Like?

You echo my exact thoughts, just got the K-5IIs and with every shot looked at (zoomed in) i think my lens was never that sharp before! It used to be is i was doing a 1:1 crop i'd have the sharpen the result, now it already looks sharp at 1:1. For months i figured the K-5IIs wasn't a big enough upgrade to justify the cost, i found a deal and did the upgrade and i'm sure happy i did. The other thing is focus in low light... I knew it was better but then when i saw PDAF trounce the CDAF in low light i was sold

Its like all my zoom lenses are suddenly as sharp as my primes were and all my prime lenses are just amazing

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

hanhait
Senior MemberPosts: 1,068Gear list
Like?

Would upgrading K-5 to K-5 II make a similar change or is it really about the 's' ?

Preliminary pictures here on dpreview show little difference between II and IIs.

hanhait's gear list:hanhait's gear list
Pentax K100D Pentax K-5 Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro +5 more
MightyMike
Like?
In reply to hanhait, Apr 21, 2013

ignoring features and just IQ mainly sharpness the lack of an AA filter makes a big difference, bigger difference then i expected. if we ignore features the K-5 and K-5II would have nearly identical IQ and there would be no benefit in that front

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

Jim Beverlin
Senior MemberPosts: 2,328
Like?
In reply to MightyMike, Apr 21, 2013

MightyMike wrote:

You echo my exact thoughts, just got the K-5IIs and with every shot looked at (zoomed in) i think my lens was never that sharp before! It used to be is i was doing a 1:1 crop i'd have the sharpen the result, now it already looks sharp at 1:1. For months i figured the K-5IIs wasn't a big enough upgrade to justify the cost, i found a deal and did the upgrade and i'm sure happy i did. The other thing is focus in low light... I knew it was better but then when i saw PDAF trounce the CDAF in low light i was sold

Its like all my zoom lenses are suddenly as sharp as my primes were and all my prime lenses are just amazing

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada

Mike - Interesting that you have a K-5 IIs.  I have been considering one too but kind of curious what may be in the pipeline.  I have a lot of respect for your images, comments and opinions so that will go a long way in my decision.

-- hide signature --

JRB

MightyMike
Like?
In reply to Jim Beverlin, Apr 21, 2013

I wasn't going to buy one but a deal came up and i went for it, $1300 total for a DA18-135mm F3.5-5.6 WR and a K-5IIs i thought that was good enough to get me to move on one

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada

ozdean
Forum ProPosts: 20,689Gear list
Like?

Mike I would be interested in your opinion of the 18-135, not that it will alter my understanding of the lens, but your thoughts would be appreciated.

-- hide signature --

Regards Dean - Capturing Creation
N.B. All my Images are Protected by Copyright

ozdean's gear list:ozdean's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-50 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +8 more
MightyMike
Like?
In reply to ozdean, Apr 21, 2013

I have it for sale at the moment but i might take it for a spin before its sold and see if i can form an opinion of it.

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada

ozdean
Like?

Would be interesting to hear don't forget close up @ 135.

-- hide signature --

Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-50 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +8 more
Xiaomao
Like?
In reply to sandglass, Apr 22, 2013

sandglass wrote:

especially the K-30 tends to produce some moire in really extreme situations only.
there is no reasonable way to control it. normally I use fine structures to test lenses. moire occurs only within this artificial test environment.
can 16MP images be even sharper and more clear?
it seems so.

the example shots mostly available in the net are shot with very high or maximum contrast. this makes it difficuld to rate the quality of the images.

the images in this review of the pentax smc 18-270:

www-dot-pentaxforums-dot-com/reviews/pentax-da-18-270mm-f35-63-ed-sdm/introduction.html

where taken by an K-5ii s.
not the best source for a decision for the K-5iis or against it. but quite informative.

thank You for the review. it helps me to consider the 5iis seriously.

I've not used a Nikon DSLR, only two coolpixes. So I can't commnt on D7000; but as far as I know, its focusing speed is impressive.

I've not used a K-30, and am sorry I don't know anything about it or the moire from it, but it's also an excellent camera according to the comment from its users.

I checked the review of DA 18-270 and noticed that the sharpness is rated 6, which is not so desirable, and that might be the reason why you didn't find the images to be a good proof for upgrading to K-5 IIs.

For my part, I'm for the upgrade. You'd be quite surprised, satisfied and will not regret if you do.

Good luck! 
--
Best regards,
Yang

Petroglyph
Senior MemberPosts: 3,159Gear list
Like?
In reply to Xiaomao, Apr 22, 2013

Yang,

Thank you for the review.  I'm also a Pentax user for about as long as you and I found your impression of the K5IIs interesting.

Regards.

Petroglyph's gear list:Petroglyph's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM
Xiaomao
Like?
In reply to MightyMike, Apr 22, 2013

MightyMike wrote:

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada

Hi, Mike! In my so-called "review", I had already typed such a sentence as "my DA lenses have become DA*s, and the zooms have become primes ...", but deleted it later for I knew I was only excited and not scientific at all. Now I feel relaxed that I'm not the only one who has this feeling.  
I also marked a full "Excellent" for the rating of "Action/Sports"; I know I was a bit too hasty, for I know from other forum members's comments that canikons are more impressive. But I was only comparing the AF speed of K-5 IIs with that of K-5, and was very satisfied.

Best regards,

-- hide signature --

Yang

Xiaomao
Like?
In reply to ozdean, Apr 22, 2013

ozdean wrote:

Would be interesting to hear don't forget close up @ 135.

-- hide signature --

Hi, Dean! Unlike Mike, I'll keep my copy of DA18-135. It's my best GP lens and it's WR. I'm not in a position to make a test or review on it, but I think when used on K-5 IIs, it's good enough for me and for the kitty as follows @135mm.

"Dragon Cat"

All the best,

-- hide signature --

Yang

ozdean
Like?
In reply to Xiaomao, Apr 22, 2013

Looking good Yang.

-- hide signature --

MightyMike
Like?
In reply to ozdean, Apr 22, 2013

ozdean wrote:

Mike I would be interested in your opinion of the 18-135, not that it will alter my understanding of the lens, but your thoughts would be appreciated.

-- hide signature --

Alright, I used it for a short time today, the build quality is wonderful, WR is a great feature, the fell of it is really nice. The range of course is wonderful. Its sharp enough at the center in the tele end but like the reviews say the borders and corners are weak, the CA is there but not always an issue. work against bright light is amazing, right into the sun at F22 and no flare... granted i didn't try wider apertures. This is an adequate lens for travel, I'm almost considering taking it with me on the Alaska cruise if it isn't sold by then. if you can live with a kit lens this lens would be just fine, its no 17-70 but its decent for non-critical photography.

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada

ozdean
Like?
In reply to MightyMike, Apr 23, 2013

Mike I hope you don't sell it and take it to Alaska; from 20 to 50 is where it shines as well as close ups at the long end f8+, super sharp in the centre for portraits/candids above 50mm wide open.

Don't give up on it just yet.

-- hide signature --

MightyMike
Like?
In reply to ozdean, Apr 23, 2013

BTW I have my Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4.0 for everyday shooting

I never meant to keep it, i only bought the K-5IIs with that lens because the total was $1300, sell the lens for $400 and my K-5 for $500 and the cost of the K-5IIs is a little more swallow-able

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads