Well X100s make a nice second camera to XE-1

Started Mar 20, 2013 | Discussions
HankK
Regular MemberPosts: 389
Like?
Well X100s make a nice second camera to XE-1
Mar 20, 2013

I am trying to decide if the Fuji X 100s will make a nice second camera with my XE-1. For the XE-1, I have the 14mm and the zoom. The options I have been thinking about are the Fuji X100S or another XE 1 body or a Nikon A. Smaller was one priority and another was avoiding lens changes.

I had an X100 and they are not really pocketable but it does match the image quality of my XE-1 and had the same basic interface. Am I missing other benefits of the X100s as a second camera. Or maybe I do not need a second smaller camera.

A second XE-1 body would allow me to keep the 14mm on one body and the zoom on the other body. Then I could wait for the new pancake lens later in the year.

Lastly I could pickup the Nikon Coolpix. It is expensive and does not have a viewfinder. The 28mm focal length is okay but the 35mm is better for me. It is pocketable which is a real plus. I had an RX100 for awhile and it was okay without the viewfinder. The high iso and image quality were not up to Fuji's so the RX100 is now the daughters camera.

Which way would you go and why.

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100S Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Sulis2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,046
Like?
Re: Well X100s make a nice second camera to XE-1
In reply to HankK, Mar 20, 2013

I would wait a few days and try it out when it's more generally available. As camera bodies get smaller it certainly makes sense to have two bodies with different lenses on - however, the XE-1 with the 14mm and the X100S aren't too different in focal length - I am quite interested to see what the 56mm lens is like... But by the time it comes out there may well be an updated X-Pro 2 with phase detection... Decisions, decisions...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
pcb_dpr
Contributing MemberPosts: 719
Like?

Seems like you have to figure out whether pocketability is necessary or not. Don't think we can tell you that.

The X100S seems mostly identical to the X100 except for faster AF and IQ improvement. Why did you get rid of the X100? Whatever minuses it had for you, except for AF/IQ, will be mirrored in the X100S.

The Nikon A hasn't shipped yet, AFAIK. I avoid evaluating cameras that don't exist yet.

If it's got to be pocketable, the X100S won't do it. If it doesn't have to pocketable, the X100S would make a great second camera to an XE1. You had an X100, so you already know how that form factor worked for you.

If it doesn't have to be pocketable and the X100S has minuses that won't work for you, two XE1 bodies would make a swell outfit.

If it has to be pocketable, it can't be the X100S or XE1. That's a whole different discussion.

I am trying to decide if the Fuji X 100s will make a nice second camera with my XE-1. For the XE-1, I have the 14mm and the zoom...or another XE 1 body or a Nikon A. Smaller was one priority and another was avoiding lens changes...I had an X100 and they are not really pocketable but it does match the image quality of my XE-1 and had the same basic interface. Am I missing other benefits of the X100s as a second camera. Or maybe I do not need a second smaller camera...I could pickup the Nikon Coolpix. It is expensive and does not have a viewfinder. The 28mm focal length is okay but the 35mm is better for me. It is pocketable which is a real plus...Which way would you go and why.

itairom
Regular MemberPosts: 430
Like?
In reply to Sulis2, Mar 20, 2013

21mm and 35mm equivalents are extremely different focal lengths... Now, the X-E1 with the 18mm, that'd be a closer comparison.

miro3
Senior MemberPosts: 1,918Gear list
Like?

wait for the X-Pro 2 to be announced in June, or go for the second X-E1 body if you need it now.

miro3's gear list:miro3's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
Astrophotographer 10
Senior MemberPosts: 4,681Gear list
Like?
In reply to miro3, Mar 20, 2013

Yeah I'd wait for the next gen XE2 or Xpro 2. No doubt they will implement the on chip AF, split screen and focus peaking of the X100s which are really wanted by a lot of photographers.

Not sure - does X100s have exposure control in video now? XE1 video performance is weak. It would be good if that were improved as well.

Greg.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads