Will I be happy with the x20?

Started Mar 20, 2013 | Discussions
Adiel Shmit
Contributing MemberPosts: 506
Like?
Mar 20, 2013

after selling my 5D nd some good L and 2.8 zooms because  I didn't want to lug them around,

especially now with a 6 month old son, and his baby gear...:)

I am travelling to NY friday, and one of the missions is to buy a FUJI.

my logic:

X100  focus and high iso not on par with what I need (clean 3200)

x100s- price and limitatinon of a fixed lens

x-e1 , great, but with 35mm  (love shallow DOF)   what about the wide angle? price tag...:(

x-e1+18-55mm ( shallow dof gone?) and $1300 price tag..

suddenly i thought to myself: what about the x20?  yes, its a smaller sensor compared to x-e1 and x100, and surely the eos 5D,  but it has a bright zoom. but I cannot find anywhere online about its high iso capabilities, and shallow DOF...

HELP?  need to make a decision soon...

thanks.

-- hide signature --

music and photos.. capturing the beauty of life.

Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm X-E1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
itairom
Regular MemberPosts: 430
Like?
Re: Will I be happy with the x20?
In reply to Adiel Shmit, Mar 20, 2013

If you like shallow depth of field and you're used to the image quality of a 5D, it's hard to imagine that going X20 only will satisfy you. Don't get me wrong, I think it'll be a great family camera and I probably will get one myself for that purpose. But I also have other gear to complement it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
pcb_dpr
Contributing MemberPosts: 662
Like?

Both X100 and X100S both have fixed lens, X100S should be a bit better at ISO 3200 but not hugely better. The X100 is already pretty darn clean.

Haven't seen much X20 output yet, but I have a hard time imagining its smaller sensor will be better than X100 at 3200. Plus the lens is slower, so you'll need to shoot at higher ISO than X100/S. Smaller sensory with slower, wider lens in general means more depth of field. You'll have to check the dof charts, does a 28/2.8 have more or less dof than a 23/2.0 (X20 vxs X100)? Definitely 35/1.4 will be shallower, and the 23/1.4 when it ships.

XE1 is pricier, but you have faster lenses available, clean high-ISO.

Obviously you'll have to try these out to see what works best, but I can't imaging the X20 being the best replacement out of the Fuji family for a 5D w/2.8-L glass, at least when you two most important features are clean 3200 ISO and minimal dof...

after selling my 5D nd some good L and 2.8 zooms because I didn't want to lug them around,

especially now with a 6 month old son, and his baby gear...:)

my logic:

X100 focus and high iso not on par with what I need (clean 3200)

x100s- price and limitatinon of a fixed lens

x-e1 , great, but with 35mm (love shallow DOF) what about the wide angle? price tag...:(

x-e1+18-55mm ( shallow dof gone?) and $1300 price tag..

suddenly i thought to myself: what about the x20? yes, its a smaller sensor compared to x-e1 and x100, and surely the eos 5D, but it has a bright zoom. but I cannot find anywhere online about its high iso capabilities, and shallow DOF...

HELP? need to make a decision soon...

thanks.

-- hide signature --

Adiel Shmit
Like?
In reply to pcb_dpr, Mar 20, 2013

makes sense.

if I go with the X-E1 , would the zoom lens be enough?

I cannot justify bothe 18-55mm and 35mm.

-- hide signature --

Joachim Gerstl
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,353Gear list
Like?

makes sense.

-- hide signature --

I would recommend 14 and 35mm. If just one lens get the zoom, the 35mm is not wide enough for most things.

-- hide signature --
 Joachim Gerstl's gear list:Joachim Gerstl's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Ricoh GR Sony Alpha NEX-5 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 6D +17 more
Bjrn SWE
Regular MemberPosts: 276Gear list
Like?

I think the X20 will make a great second camera. Image quality will not be anything like the 5D, but the cam seems to be a gem and I am very tempted myself! But if you want to own just one camera, I'd say there are other alternatives.

David Mintzer
Forum MemberPosts: 73
Like?
In reply to Bjrn SWE, Mar 20, 2013

Remember, many of the good photo stores are run by Jews, and they close early on Fridays.  Also, I believe Passover starts soon and they will be closed for a couple of days.

mixersoft
New MemberPosts: 14
Like?
In reply to Bjrn SWE, Mar 20, 2013

I think the X20 will make a great second camera. Image quality will not be anything like the 5D, but the cam seems to be a gem and I am very tempted myself! But if you want to own just one camera, I'd say there are other alternatives.

Curious - what is the prevailing sentiment for the one camera "alternative" if your price point is $600?

pcb_dpr
Like?

Part of the decision is focal length needs, part is probably financial. Fuji has rebates through 3/30 in the US, some lens choices may be cheaper than others.

The 18-55mm is roughly equivalent to a 28-85mm on your 5D, max aperture 2.8-4.0. That gives you focal length versatility, but puts you at the higher ISO range indoors and gives more dof than a faster prime.

The 35/1.4 has an efl of 50mm on a 5D, two stops+ faster than the zoom so shallower dof, lower ISO. But pretty tight focal length. The 18/2.0 efl is 28mm, on stop faster than zoom, slightly shallower dof, wider view.

If you had to start with only one lens on your 5D, would you want a 28/2.0, 50/1.4 or 28-85/2.8-4.0?

makes sense.

-- hide signature --

pcb_dpr
Like?
In reply to mixersoft, Mar 20, 2013

Don't know if there's such a thing as "prevailing sentiment" for best $600 camera. You'll find different answers at different forums I'd reckon.

OP didn't set a $600 price point, seemed to be thinking the X20 might be a better choice than the X100/S, other things being equal, and would be significantly cheaper than an XE1.

Curious - what is the prevailing sentiment for the one camera "alternative" if your price point is $600?

Adiel Shmit
Like?
In reply to pcb_dpr, Mar 20, 2013

well,  on my 5D, my favorite lenses (excluding anything above 80mm..)

where the 24-70mm (especially for the 24-35mm for scenes  and the 70mm for portraits.

and the beloved 50mm f1.8 (which gave me so much pleasure, I left it at home as a gift to my wife with her eos 500D (so she can take a bicely bokeh'd portrait once in a while) as she only has and wants to use her 18-55mm kit. (i stopped arguing with her about this as she wakes up at night to feed the baby and I sleep through:).

-- hide signature --

argyrotype
Contributing MemberPosts: 563
Like?

the X20 is a really nifty little camera, arguably the best of the small (<1 inch) sensor compacts, but it has limitations.  I;d like to have one, even as a single camera for an Italy trip, and ISO 3200 is really pretty good, see this 3200 image:

http://mos.futurenet.com/techradar/art/cameras/Fujifilm/X20/sample%20images/DSCF9273.JPG

The OVF is crummy in the X10, but the X20 is supposed to have fixed its shortcomings (except for the 85% coverage).  I am coming from an X100 and consider the images I took with an X10 to be acceptable but not special.  I've seen images from the X20 that are pretty nice, but you will not mistake the X20 for a Sigma DPMerrill.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/minami/sets/72157632822934670/with/8499454651/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/absolutic/8557783009/sizes/k/in/pool-2121200@N24/

-- hide signature --

the photographer formerly known as 'Kallitype'

zoooming
Senior MemberPosts: 2,482
Like?
In reply to Bjrn SWE, Mar 21, 2013

I think the X20 will make a great second camera. Image quality will not be anything like the 5D, but the cam seems to be a gem and I am very tempted myself! But if you want to own just one camera, I'd say there are other alternativesI

Agree entirely - I'm often amazed by those seeking to replace an 'expensive' SLR body (eg 5DMKII $3k+ when new) with a compact around the $600 mark while seemingly not wanting to sacrifice image quality.

I have the 5DMKII as well as all the 1D series sports bodies and while I would never replace any of those bodies with an X20 I'm seriously considering getting one for a 'walkabout' body. The catch is it would only replace my G10 which has been great (bar the flash).

The difference in price/features in these type of exercises (1/5th of the price) is simply too great to be fair.

-- hide signature --

Zoooming

Contributing MemberPosts: 871Gear list
Like?
In reply to argyrotype, Mar 21, 2013

Yes, very much so happy with X20!!

Quit worrying about details, save some of your money, and get over the ridiculous obsession with bokah (...feh) and resolve to buy the camera that will give you a fine collection of new family photos.

You'll miss some of your kid's best moments and a lot of great memories fretting over this nonsense. Fuji is making technological combinations in all of their cameras that are world beating great.

94's gear list:94's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-Pro1 +23 more
ScottD1964
Contributing MemberPosts: 895Gear list
Like?
In reply to Adiel Shmit, Mar 21, 2013

You're not going to have a lot of time.  Sunday to be precise.  B&H (and probably Adorama and any of the other reputable and Jewish run photo shops) close at 2PM on Friday for the Sabbath and are closed Saturday.  B&H is open 10-6 on Sunday then closed Monday 3/25- Wednesday 4/3 for Passover. Adoramam probably has hours that are much the same.

In any case I wish you luck with your camera decision and even more luck getting to B&H or Adorama to check them out and ultimately make a purchase.

Safe travels.

Scott

ScottD1964's gear list:ScottD1964's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +1 more
PeterPrism
Senior MemberPosts: 1,055Gear list
Like?
In reply to Bjrn SWE, Mar 21, 2013

I Agree 100%. +1

PeterPrism's gear list:PeterPrism's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro
Adiel Shmit
Like?
In reply to 94, Mar 21, 2013

dear 94. I took you up on the advice.

I want to have fun watching and recording my child and family.

I just bought an x20.

thank you for the good sense.

-- hide signature --

mr moonlight
Senior MemberPosts: 1,521
Like?

dear 94. I took you up on the advice.

I want to have fun watching and recording my child and family.

I just bought an x20.

thank you for the good sense.

-- hide signature --

Good decision. So many get hung up on details that are simply not important when they want a camera for just taking family photos. The smaller sensor on the X20 can be an advantage since you can get a wider DOF. Helps when shooting wide open to get a running child in focus.

I use a 5D and a bunch of heavy L-lenses for professional use, but when it comes to taking family photos or traveling, it's just too damn big and heavy. When it comes down to it, I have a ton of great photos and videos I've taken of my kid and family with my iPhone. Sometimes you want the razor thin DOF, perfect bokeh and mind blowing IQ, but most of the time you just need a camera that fits in your pocket that can capture all your most cherished memories.

HL48
Junior MemberPosts: 35
Like?

Will you be happy with the X20?  Wish I could answer that question for either you or me.

I used a slew of cameras in my youth. None were as much fun as the the Canonet 1.7 although many were far more expensive, and technically superior. The process of composing in a viewfinder uninterrupted while managing the mechanics of the exposure made for a delightful picture taking experience. Considering which compact camera will make for a more satisfying experience now, I am leaning toward the flexibility offered by the zoom lens of the X20 rather the image quality offered by the X100S's APS-C sized sensor.

Best of luck with your choice.

Harry

Nukunukoo
Regular MemberPosts: 353Gear list
Like?

As a X20 owner, I'll give you both the short and long answer...

Short answer: Yes.

Long Answer: Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssh!

Hope that's helpful. Cheers!

Akoni

Nukunukoo's gear list:Nukunukoo's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Nikon D300S Nikon D800E Nikon D7100 Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 EX DC APO OS HSM +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads