CHDK on my SX50

Started Mar 20, 2013 | Discussions
Dizturbed One
Junior MemberPosts: 32Gear list
Like?
CHDK on my SX50
Mar 20, 2013

I noticed many people talking about "waiting" for CHDK to come out... But there is a version on the CHDK forums that is already quite stable for our cameras, I have yet to have a single problem.

Just a proof photo I took... In my nearly black room at dawn on a rainy day, with no artificial light source. Straight from camera, no post processing at all

f/8, 30 sec. exposure, ISO 200

f/3.4, 1 sec. exposure, ISO 6400 (as you can see by exposure, aperture and ISO settings it was quite dimmer than this to the naked eye, hard to read the text even) I could have put it on a tripod and got it slightly clearer, but really this is indicative of the noise you would have to deal with at this ISO level to make the image usable anyways. I handheld to keep the scale similar and I needed the aperture wide open

The brightest usable photo I could have mustered before CHDK. f/3.4, 15 sec. exposure, ISO locked at 80 (of course)

The last photo is still considerably brighter than it is in this room with my own eyes. Have fun with it guys, and post results!

Dizturbed One's gear list:Dizturbed One's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
wacka2007
Regular MemberPosts: 315
Like?
Re: CHDK on my SX50
In reply to Dizturbed One, Mar 20, 2013

I noticed many people talking about "waiting" for CHDK to come out... But there is a version on the CHDK forums that is already quite stable for our cameras, I have yet to have a single problem.

Just a proof photo I took... In my nearly black room at dawn on a rainy day, with no artificial light source. Straight from camera, no post processing at all

f/8, 30 sec. exposure, ISO 200

f/3.4, 1 sec. exposure, ISO 6400 (as you can see by exposure, aperture and ISO settings it was quite dimmer than this to the naked eye, hard to read the text even) I could have put it on a tripod and got it slightly clearer, but really this is indicative of the noise you would have to deal with at this ISO level to make the image usable anyways. I handheld to keep the scale similar and I needed the aperture wide open

The brightest usable photo I could have mustered before CHDK. f/3.4, 15 sec. exposure, ISO locked at 80 (of course)

The last photo is still considerably brighter than it is in this room with my own eyes. Have fun with it guys, and post results!

Excellent news.........i am looking forward to getting it on mine....... i wanna take some long exposures and 15 seconds is a joke.....

Thanks for this useful post

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Joe Shepard
Senior MemberPosts: 1,057Gear list
Like?
In reply to wacka2007, Mar 20, 2013

What version did you download.

Joe Shepard's gear list:Joe Shepard's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
Dizturbed One
Like?
In reply to Joe Shepard, Mar 20, 2013

It's not on the autobuild page, they have a development thread for porting it over to the SX50 that has been going for quite some time, and it seems to have stalled to a degree as far as further work. The good news, is that it seems to be fully functional, with the exception of the ability to over ride the video quality settings.

CHDK for SX50HS Development Thread

^There is the thread. The latest build they have has been attached at the bottom of page 11, there are two versions intended for two different firmwares. There is a 100b and a 100c firmware on these cameras, and there is a specific build for each. You must follow the guide to find out your firmware version, then install the appropriate version using the "bootable SD card method" found here -

CHDK User Manual

Short tutorial -

You must find out your own firmware version by placing a file on your SD card named ver.req (or vers.req for some cameras) then powering it on with the play button, and holding 'set/function' while immediately pressing 'display'. Take note of whether you have 100b or 100c firmware when it flashes your serial number and firmware information.

Now that you know your firmware version we can start...

First, download the appropriate CHDK version from the development thread.

Second, partition the SD card to be used in your camera. Do it with the format function in your camera's menu.

Then, use EOScard (download available on the wiki page) to partition your SD card to FAT32 for cards larger than 4GB. If smaller than 4GB, use CardTricks, but you will need to format it to FAT16 instead in order to make the card bootable.

Unpack the appropriate version of CHDK for your firmware onto the root of your SD card. Put EVERYTHING that came in the compressed folder on the root of the SD card.

Lock the SD card by sliding the write lock switch to the lock position, and put it in your camera, you're done! CHDK automatically over rides the locked card and will still write to it, the lock simply tells it to autoboot CHDK from the card every time you power on the camera.

You should now get a CHDK splash screen on boot up, and it should boot into play mode instead of camera mode. A half press of the shutter while booting up (or at any time) put's the camera into camera mode instead. The shortcut button takes you into CHDK shortcuts/script mode, follow it with the menu button to take you into the CHDK menu, enjoy!

Note - I was unfamiliar with CHDK, so did not know that the over rides do not show the proper settings until a half shutter press has been performed. It led me to ask them how to get the over rides to work, only to be stumped because I had already tried their suggestions in the manual. After a few minutes of messing around a second time I quickly realized what was happening due to my camera taking a 30 second exposure, but listing it as 1/50th of a second before I pressed the shutter button. Just an FYI for anyone else that uses the manual focus whenever they can, that is why I did not realize this immediately! LOL

CSPoole
Regular MemberPosts: 366Gear list
Like?

I believe Acid is the easiest way to find out your firmware. Copied:

"Dave MitchellMay 2010

."hereWith Acid, all you have to do is: 1. take a picture with the camera 2. put the camera card into a card reader 3. run Acid and drag the photo from the card and drop it onto the Acid window. Acid will then: * analyse the photo * extract the camera model and firmware version information * automatically download the appropriate build of SDM or CHDK (depending on which button you press) to a folder you choose. Acid is written in java - there's an OSX app and a windows zip available at Acid is download to your Temporary Internet Files, so the next time you clean your computer, they will be gone. Just click open and run. Can't down an autobuild yet. Thanks, CSPoole
 CSPoole's gear list:CSPoole's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +4 more
Dizturbed One
Like?
In reply to CSPoole, Mar 20, 2013

I believe Acid is the easiest way to find out your firmware. Copied:

"Dave MitchellMay 2010

."hereWith Acid, all you have to do is: 1. take a picture with the camera 2. put the camera card into a card reader 3. run Acid and drag the photo from the card and drop it onto the Acid window. Acid will then: * analyse the photo * extract the camera model and firmware version information * automatically download the appropriate build of SDM or CHDK (depending on which button you press) to a folder you choose. Acid is written in java - there's an OSX app and a windows zip available at Acid is download to your Temporay Internet Files, so the next time you clean your computer, they will be gone. Just click open and run. Can't down an autobuild yet. Thanks, CSPoole

While I did discover this in my reading, I chose to leave it out, as it is not relevant at this time. Acid will not work for this camera, because there is no autobuild.

Also, it is almost the same amount of steps and work, but leaves you completely in the dark about the process. The above process is fairly simple, and you get to see the structure of it and realize a few things about the process, which definitely could help you in the future should you run into a problem or wish to add scripts, etc.

CSPoole
Like?

Well does work, to find out you build firmware. Not everyone is going with the test build route.

Most will wait till the auto-build is complete and published.

Thanks,CSPoole

Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +4 more
woody allen
Regular MemberPosts: 100Gear list
Like?
In reply to CSPoole, Mar 23, 2013

Can you just explain me one thing about CHDK...

As I understand,when using CHDK I'm obligate to use 4GB memory card,or to express myself in another way,I only can use 4GB of storage to save my pictures.

This is not enough if I go outdoors for few days,because now I use 16GB card,and with super fine jpeg+raw I only have cca 650 pictures to save.

Or did I understand it wrong?

Or,when using CHDK,can I somehow have 16GB of storage to save my pictures?

Thank you for your answers in advance.

woody

woody allen's gear list:woody allen's gear list
Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +1 more
CSPoole
Like?
In reply to woody allen, Mar 23, 2013

The test build is out. To use 16gig cards or larger should be OK, once the auto-build is out, with no hassle.

Thanks ,CSPoole

Dizturbed One
Like?
In reply to woody allen, Mar 25, 2013

woody allen wrote:

Can you just explain me one thing about CHDK...

As I understand,when using CHDK I'm obligate to use 4GB memory card,or to express myself in another way,I only can use 4GB of storage to save my pictures.

This is not enough if I go outdoors for few days,because now I use 16GB card,and with super fine jpeg+raw I only have cca 650 pictures to save.

Or did I understand it wrong?

Or,when using CHDK,can I somehow have 16GB of storage to save my pictures?

Thank you for your answers in advance.

woody

You already can do this. Read through my instructions carefully. I am running CHDK on a 16gb card on my own SX50 already. Have been for two weeks. Good luck and happy snapping!

waterwingz
Regular MemberPosts: 192Gear list
Like?
In reply to woody allen, Apr 4, 2013

woody allen wrote:

There has never been a limitation of 4GB with CHDK!  Older cameras (pre-2011) could use larger cards using the "firmware update" method of loading,or dual partition cards for "SD card lock" autobooting.

Newer cameras can use FAT32 formatted cards for any booting method - size of the card only limited by the size of your wallet.

CHDK Wikia - Prepare Your SD Card

waterwingz's gear list:waterwingz's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Canon PowerShot A1200 Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon PowerShot N +1 more
CSPoole
Like?
In reply to waterwingz, Apr 4, 2013

Thank You! For all your efforts, plus Everybody else !

Thanks, CSPoole

waterwingz
Like?
In reply to CSPoole, Apr 4, 2013

Posted a patch tonight requesting the SX50 port be changed to BETA status and moved into the autobuild.  Usually take a day or two for that to happen but I think "soon" just became "almost now".

Canon PowerShot G10 Canon PowerShot A1200 Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon PowerShot N +1 more
CSPoole
Like?
In reply to waterwingz, Apr 4, 2013

Great, I will post shortly a Thanks to the TEAM !

Thanks, CSpoole

CSPoole
Like?
In reply to CSPoole, Apr 4, 2013

CHDK is built on one premise, one camera got understood how it operates. Since then Canon cameras have changed with almost every model, so does the programming. Magic Lantern has their success due to CHDK. Thanks for working on SX50:

radioman193, nafraf, yukia10,philmoz,waterwingz,lapser,reyalp, and many more !

Sorry, If I Missed Someone ! Thanks Again, CSPoole

jessm90
Junior MemberPosts: 38
Like?
In reply to Dizturbed One, Apr 4, 2013

been messing with the CDHK a bit recently. managed a couple of shots with it, 30sec or so at ISO 6400 up in the Yorkshire Dales - nice and dark for the night sky!

My first attempt - just a single shot (ie not layered in post) - 30sec/ISO6400 with the CDHK

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pixeluniverseuk/8613959521/in/photostream/

My second looking out over the reservoir - it was so dark i couldn't even see it, though i knew it was there - the water over the dam made lots of noise! This one again was 30sec/ISO6400 using the CDHK, but i took 4 or so shots to help reduce the noise just a little - at ISO 6400 i seem to get slight yellow banding that goes with bit of layering in post.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pixeluniverseuk/8619732259/in/photostream

That second shot was also my first attempt at combinging several shots together from different angles - so i could cover more of the sky. in theory this sounded nice and easy - just rotate the camera on the tripod and then in post just drag the images to overlay each other....i was so wrong. didn't quite realise how much the rotated camera on the tripod would  change the perspective of the stars between each shot. Live and learn!

CSPoole
Like?
In reply to jessm90, Apr 4, 2013

I agree, there is a lot to learn! This should be Fun!

Thanks, CSPoole

waterwingz
Like?
In reply to CSPoole, Apr 5, 2013

CSPoole wrote:

CHDK is built on one premise, one camera got understood how it operates. Since then Canon cameras have changed with almost every model, so does the programming. Magic Lantern has their success due to CHDK. Thanks for working on SX50:

radioman193, nafraf, yukia10,philmoz,waterwingz,lapser,reyalp, and many more !

Sorry, If I Missed Someone ! Thanks Again, CSPoole

Lots more people played a big part over the last 6 years. Of the currently active people you missed srsa_4c and msl.  And no doubt a few others ...

wacka2007
Regular MemberPosts: 315
Like?
In reply to jessm90, Apr 6, 2013

jessm90 wrote:

been messing with the CDHK a bit recently. managed a couple of shots with it, 30sec or so at ISO 6400 up in the Yorkshire Dales - nice and dark for the night sky!

My first attempt - just a single shot (ie not layered in post) - 30sec/ISO6400 with the CDHK

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pixeluniverseuk/8613959521/in/photostream/

My second looking out over the reservoir - it was so dark i couldn't even see it, though i knew it was there - the water over the dam made lots of noise! This one again was 30sec/ISO6400 using the CDHK, but i took 4 or so shots to help reduce the noise just a little - at ISO 6400 i seem to get slight yellow banding that goes with bit of layering in post.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pixeluniverseuk/8619732259/in/photostream

That second shot was also my first attempt at combinging several shots together from different angles - so i could cover more of the sky. in theory this sounded nice and easy - just rotate the camera on the tripod and then in post just drag the images to overlay each other....i was so wrong. didn't quite realise how much the rotated camera on the tripod would  change the perspective of the stars between each shot. Live and learn!

fantastic shots , this CHDK is gonna  be great , i have been waiting to take some  long exposures of the night sky .

saycheese
Regular MemberPosts: 415Gear list
Like?
In reply to jessm90, Apr 7, 2013

Fantastic Album, you have a great talent, *****

-- hide signature --

Julian
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Canon SX50, Olympus C5050z, Batteries, Lens Cloth, Neckstrap, polo mints, bus money.
Frodsham Panoramic

saycheese's gear list:saycheese's gear list
Olympus Stylus 790 SW Olympus C-5050 Zoom Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads