RX1 EVF Stability

Started Mar 20, 2013 | Discussions
JPizzzle
Regular MemberPosts: 107
Like?
RX1 EVF Stability
Mar 20, 2013

Hey all,

So I have the RX1 and EVF coming in the mail.  I was wondering if the owners of both have an opinion on the stability of the EVF.  I use a strap with my camera and like to wear it lower by my side when not shooting, sometimes I have it positioned closer to my back when riding a bike.  Should I be worried about the EVF knocking around or getting damaged in the hot shoe from bumping into my body (Since it sticks back a little bit).

Thanks in advance,

JP

Sony RX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Ray Sachs
Senior MemberPosts: 8,988Gear list
Like?
Re: RX1 EVF Stability
In reply to JPizzzle, Mar 20, 2013

It's not as sturdy or as well protected as a built-in, but it's not bad for a bolt on.  One thing I'd suggest at least trying is replacing the large eyecup that comes mounted on the EVF with n the smaller one that's also included with it. If you wear glasses you're gonna need to do this anyway to use the thing, but the smaller eyepiece really lowers the profile of the EVF and it just barely protrudes behind the rear plane of the camera. With the large eyepiece, it really protrudes and, IMHO anyway, looks sort of obnoxious.

Of course if you don't wear glasses and you prefer the light shielding of the large eyepiece that's a bit of a dilemma, but I'd say the smaller one is at least worth a try.

-Ray
-------------------------
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/collections/72157626204295198/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
becasabot
Regular MemberPosts: 384
Like?

I now use it without any eyepiece and it is much more acceptable a protrusion. With the larger eyepiece it is really big.

Without any eye piece or with the smaller one, I do not see it getting damaged  bumping to the chest but I am not sure.

It does not come off very easily but once I found it coming off half way in my bag so maybe attaching it some way to somewhere would be a good idea. See this thread : http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3394904

tesilab
Senior MemberPosts: 1,990Gear list
Like?

I think the eyecup is a non-issue. You will want to use gaffer's tape to keep the EVF secure in the slot.

However, I think you need a both a more stable and protected way to carry over 3k worth of equipment.

tesilab's gear list:tesilab's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +11 more
JPizzzle
Like?
In reply to tesilab, Mar 20, 2013

Thanks for the replies guys.  Appreciate it.  I've never been a fan of cases, so wearing it as I go is the best option for me.  I tend to insure my cameras also, which helps alleviate some risk, which i will likely do with this one.  Anyway, I think I will try it without the soft eye cup once it comes in.  I hope that I won't need to use gaffers tape :/

teseg
Senior MemberPosts: 2,044Gear list
Like?

Thanks for the replies guys. Appreciate it. I've never been a fan of cases, so wearing it as I go is the best option for me. I tend to insure my cameras also, which helps alleviate some risk, which i will likely do with this one. Anyway, I think I will try it without the soft eye cup once it comes in. I hope that I won't need to use gaffers tape :/

With all the times I've carried it around I found once the EVF was 1/2 dislodged from its "locked" position.  Without taping it on (with a very minimal amount of tape) I would be nervous of it becoming dislodged bouncing off my body.  I've not heard of an alternate solution to keep it  locked down.

teseg's gear list:teseg's gear list
Sony RX1
becasabot
Regular MemberPosts: 384
Like?

Thanks for the replies guys. Appreciate it. I've never been a fan of cases, so wearing it as I go is the best option for me. I tend to insure my cameras also, which helps alleviate some risk, which i will likely do with this one. Anyway, I think I will try it without the soft eye cup once it comes in. I hope that I won't need to use gaffers tape :/

For wearing it on a bicycle you need to either have a Capture Camera Clip that you may use on the strap of your backpack or , maybe better, OP/TECH Stabilizer Strap ($16) Amazon link is here

tesilab
Like?
In reply to teseg, Mar 20, 2013

A more elegant solution might be to squeeze some very thin material onto the bottom of the hotshoe to act as either a shim or even a pressure plate.

Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +11 more
Ray Sachs
Like?
Ugly but effective...

I used a tan rubber band to illustrate - if you could find a black one of the right size and thickness, it might not be noticeable at all after a while and it has the added benefit of hiding most of the orange anodized band around the lens. I realize some might not want to use such a cheap solution on such nice gear, but it'll hold the EVF in place...

-Ray

JPizzzle
Like?
Re: Ugly but effective...
In reply to Ray Sachs, Mar 20, 2013

I'm getting a little worried now.  Didn't realize that it moves so much.  I don't mind if it comes a little loose while in a bag, since I rarely use a bag, but am concerned if it moves while on a strap worn across my body.  Any more feedback on how it handles when worn and walking around town across the body?  I really don't want to tape/rubberband/glue it.  Kind of silly on such a high end camera..

Ray Sachs
Like?

I'm getting a little worried now. Didn't realize that it moves so much. I don't mind if it comes a little loose while in a bag, since I rarely use a bag, but am concerned if it moves while on a strap worn across my body. Any more feedback on how it handles when worn and walking around town across the body? I really don't want to tape/rubberband/glue it. Kind of silly on such a high end camera..

Didn't mean to scare you - I don't have any problem walking around with the camera on a strap with its back against my body. Since the EVF comes off ttoward the back it's not likely to just come off. I just showed a cheap possible solution if you were paranoid about it, like if it was swinging around when you're on a bike. I don't actually use that rubber band, just illustrating that it wouldn't be hard to rig up a temporary solution for situations where it might be more likely to come off.

-Ray

JPizzzle
Like?
In reply to Ray Sachs, Mar 20, 2013

I'm getting a little worried now. Didn't realize that it moves so much. I don't mind if it comes a little loose while in a bag, since I rarely use a bag, but am concerned if it moves while on a strap worn across my body. Any more feedback on how it handles when worn and walking around town across the body? I really don't want to tape/rubberband/glue it. Kind of silly on such a high end camera..

Didn't mean to scare you - I don't have any problem walking around with the camera on a strap with its back against my body. Since the EVF comes off ttoward the back it's not likely to just come off. I just showed a cheap possible solution if you were paranoid about it, like if it was swinging around when you're on a bike. I don't actually use that rubber band, just illustrating that it wouldn't be hard to rig up a temporary solution for situations where it might be more likely to come off.

-Ray

Lol, thanks Ray.  I couldn't really imagine how someone would walk around with a rubberband on a $3200 setup :).  It is however a good idea for the biking.

Thanks!!

Robgo2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,506
Like?
In reply to tesilab, Mar 20, 2013

A more elegant solution might be to squeeze some very thin material onto the bottom of the hotshoe to act as either a shim or even a pressure plate.

Would that affect any of the electrical contacts?

Rob

JPizzzle
Like?
In reply to Robgo2, Mar 21, 2013

Would that affect any of the electrical contacts?

Rob

What if you squeeze 2 pieces of printer paper on the left and right walls before sliding it in. In theory, it might hold it in place without touching the contacts or causing any damage (again a theory, no idea if it will damage anything)

itairom
Regular MemberPosts: 430
Like?
In reply to JPizzzle, Mar 22, 2013

I didn't find it particularly stable. Mine actually fell off once as I was walking down the street. Fortunately, I noticed and picked it up right away.

I should've known better before buying it. I had similar bad experiences with add-on EVFs on Olympus cameras in the past. Ultimately, my anxiety over losing the thing made me acknowledge a fact I had already realized the last time I tried a similar experiment: cameras with add-on EVFs just aren't my cup of tea. Too much anxiety. Hopefully, Sony will elect to make the RX2 a little larger and build the EVF into the body.

JPizzzle
Like?
In reply to itairom, Mar 22, 2013

After using the evf for a day I've noticed 0 issues with stability. It's a very tight fit, which will hopefully hold over time.

However, I did notice another issue and was wondering if its normal:Does anyone else who owns the EVF notice that it lags in higher iso (6400). In terms of lag, I'm referring to the scene slowing down a lot in the evf when moving around-as if it's in slow motion. Is not as present on the rear screen -appreciate any feedback as I want to make sure the evf I have isn't defective.

tesilab
Like?
In reply to Robgo2, Mar 22, 2013

The electrical contacts are at the end. Paper is probably the ideal material, anyway.

tesilab
Like?
In reply to JPizzzle, Mar 22, 2013

Check to see if it is the same lag as on the LCD. It could easily be an issue in the image processing pipeline that is independent of the display. (With the exception that the EVF has a higher resolution than the LCD, so the burden of preview generation is a little greater, so the same thing would apply in principle, but if very high iso slows it down for some reason, it should still manifest to a lesser degree or at an even higher ISO on the LCD)

JPizzzle
Like?
In reply to tesilab, Mar 22, 2013

tesilab wrote:

Check to see if it is the same lag as on the LCD. It could easily be an issue in the image processing pipeline that is independent of the display. (With the exception that the EVF has a higher resolution than the LCD, so the burden of preview generation is a little greater, so the same thing would apply in principle, but if very high iso slows it down for some reason, it should still manifest to a lesser degree or at an even higher ISO on the LCD)

I think it is a little slower on the lcd, but will check again when I get home today.  To clarify, it happens in situations where it's a little dark and the iso is up to 6400.  Looking through the EVF does not feel very fluid in comparison to when the light is good and iso is low.  I'm sure B&H will exchange it for me if it is an issue, but I want to make sure it's not a normal thing first.  So are people noticing the movement in the EVF is just as fluid in higher iso/darker conditions than in well lit low iso situations.  This would help me out a lot.  Thanks

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads