Like?
Pastel portrait of a tree.
Mar 20, 2013
Rabster64
Regular MemberPosts: 140
Like?
Re: Pastel portrait of a tree.
In reply to Rabster64, Mar 20, 2013

Posted this a minute ago and for some reason there was nothing other than the heading came through, so now trying to edit post for the first time.

Tried editing and still no luck so now trying as a reply to original post, Don't know why this isn't working as normal but here's hoping this time.

This is an image I've posted before but just played about with it and came up with this. I know it wont be to everyones taste and will be over the top to some if not most of you but i like the pastel colouring and was wondering what the general consensus on this type of processing was on the forum. What's your oppinions folks?.

Bill.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
hotdog321
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,440
Like?

DPreview seems to be acting up again this morning. Sigh.

Anyway, I like this image very much. Not crazy about the frame, but I really like the image itself.

2esetters
Senior MemberPosts: 1,210Gear list
Like?

Personally I'm rather confsed as to the merit of such processing in general.
I really like what you've done, as I love water colour paintings, but this seems like cheating

People who paint water coulrs would spend a lifetime learning and practicing, and hours creatng.

In photoshop, this is all replcted by a 30 secong snap shop and 5 min on the computer.

2esetters's gear list:2esetters's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 1100D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +1 more
Teosax
Senior MemberPosts: 1,420
Like?

Wow beaytiful

I really like it

Can you please share what you did As post processing?

I m really curious

The only thing, I would prefer without the frame, as I found it a little distracting, but of course this s just personal taste.

Thank you

Matteo

BigCatDaddy
Forum MemberPosts: 65
Like?
In reply to Teosax, Mar 20, 2013

love with you done. Hate the frame.

tpg77
Contributing MemberPosts: 735Gear list
Like?
In reply to 2esetters, Mar 20, 2013

Cheating?  Is it cheating when painters see a well done photograph and produce a painting

that is a near duplicate?

David Nall
Forum ProPosts: 12,743Gear list
Like?

Posted this a minute ago and for some reason there was nothing other than the heading came through, so now trying to edit post for the first time.

Tried editing and still no luck so now trying as a reply to original post, Don't know why this isn't working as normal but here's hoping this time.

This is an image I've posted before but just played about with it and came up with this. I know it wont be to everyones taste and will be over the top to some if not most of you but i like the pastel colouring and was wondering what the general consensus on this type of processing was on the forum. What's your oppinions folks?.

Bill.

Nice photo and treatment.  I would just clone out the fence posts.  They really grab my eye.  Dave

-- hide signature --

Visit my gallery at http://davesphotography9173.zenfolio.com/
View of Yosemite Valley, Bridalveil fall 4 frame vertical pano taken from the tunnel parking lot.
http://davesphotography9173.zenfolio.com/img/s2/v58/p1109307522-2.jpg

David Nall's gear list:David Nall's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon 1 V2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +10 more
Rabster64
Like?
In reply to Teosax, Mar 20, 2013

Matteo,  glad you like  it, I'm a bit of a learner at post processing and think I've got the basics, however, one of the things I thought that I would try after a previous post was HDR. There's a bit of a clue with this shot though and if you look at the bottom of the tree trunk you'll see the giveaway. I got the trial of Photomatix and although I cloned the word from my own version I've left it in the posted versions as their credit. This particular shot is not HDR but a one shot Pseudo with some gaussian blur and selective sharpening. I think I will be buying the Photomatix program.

hotdog and BigCatDaddy, also glad that you like. I quite like the frame as is and I do generaly have some kind of border around all of my images. Another shot at the end of this with standard black and white border which hopefully shouldn't be so distracting.

2esetters and tpg77, ethics are wonderful things depending on which side of the fence you are sitting. I'm of the opinion that if I like the final image that is all that matters. Some shots are natural and others contrived but all have their aesthetics and I don't think it's cheating if manipulation of an image produces the required results. My brother in law is a very good commercial artist and works from photographs as and when it suits him, he's not cheating but aiming for realism. I am dreadful at art and if I can come up with an arty type photograph then I feel quite pleased with myself but in no way do I  feel that I cheated over the work of an artist, they have a very definate gift that I wish I had and know that I could never compete with. Photography and art are similar but very different things, however, both depend on the final image which is either liked or disliked and that is why there is controversy in both fields. I personaly wish I could do more manipulation like you can see on the retouching forum and some of the finished images on there are manipulated to extremes but look fantastic in their own right.

bill.

Rabster64
Like?
In reply to David Nall, Mar 20, 2013

Cheers Dave,

an extra 2 minutes just for you.

bill.

2esetters
Like?
In reply to tpg77, Mar 20, 2013

computerized dCheating? Is it cheating when painters see a well done photograph and produce a painting

that is a near duplicate?

Ah, but they are using their skills to recreate, not a few clicks on a mouse.

Would a copy of Michalanleo's David reproduced by a CNC lathe be art?

Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 1100D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +1 more
Texas Heat
Regular MemberPosts: 410Gear list
Like?
In reply to Rabster64, Mar 21, 2013

Very Cool.  Like the 2nd version even better.  How about cropping so the tree isn't right smack in the middle ?

-- hide signature --

Cindy

Texas Heat's gear list:Texas Heat's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P500 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G
2esetters
Like?

Sorry for my "stupid " post.  Having a bad day I guess, certainly not thinking clearly.

Rabster64
Like?
In reply to 2esetters, Mar 21, 2013

Nothing at all stupid about your post, it's what you were thinking and it's a valid point of view. My wife generally doesn't like processed work like this because it is not natural and I can see her point of view. 😀

David Nall
Forum ProPosts: 12,743Gear list
Like?

Rabster64 wrote:

Matteo, glad you like it, I'm a bit of a learner at post processing and think I've got the basics, however, one of the things I thought that I would try after a previous post was HDR. There's a bit of a clue with this shot though and if you look at the bottom of the tree trunk you'll see the giveaway. I got the trial of Photomatix and although I cloned the word from my own version I've left it in the posted versions as their credit. This particular shot is not HDR but a one shot Pseudo with some gaussian blur and selective sharpening. I think I will be buying the Photomatix program.

hotdog and BigCatDaddy, also glad that you like. I quite like the frame as is and I do generaly have some kind of border around all of my images. Another shot at the end of this with standard black and white border which hopefully shouldn't be so distracting.

2esetters and tpg77, ethics are wonderful things depending on which side of the fence you are sitting. I'm of the opinion that if I like the final image that is all that matters. Some shots are natural and others contrived but all have their aesthetics and I don't think it's cheating if manipulation of an image produces the required results. My brother in law is a very good commercial artist and works from photographs as and when it suits him, he's not cheating but aiming for realism. I am dreadful at art and if I can come up with an arty type photograph then I feel quite pleased with myself but in no way do I feel that I cheated over the work of an artist, they have a very definate gift that I wish I had and know that I could never compete with. Photography and art are similar but very different things, however, both depend on the final image which is either liked or disliked and that is why there is controversy in both fields. I personaly wish I could do more manipulation like you can see on the retouching forum and some of the finished images on there are manipulated to extremes but look fantastic in their own right.

bill.

I like your new black frame much better, and after seeing the pic without the posts, I am thinking I like it better with them there.

And with a levels adjustment and the tree brightened a bit, I like it even better.

-- hide signature --

Visit my gallery at http://davesphotography9173.zenfolio.com/
View of Yosemite Valley, Bridalveil fall 4 frame vertical pano taken from the tunnel parking lot.
http://davesphotography9173.zenfolio.com/img/s2/v58/p1109307522-2.jpg

David Nall's gear list:David Nall's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon 1 V2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads