Coming back to Nex system...6 or 7 based on current pricing?

Started Mar 20, 2013 | Discussions
joe talks photography
Regular MemberPosts: 247Gear list
Like?
Coming back to Nex system...6 or 7 based on current pricing?
Mar 20, 2013

I was an early adopter of the Nex 5 and later the 5n. The cost of the evf moved me off the system after the Nex 7 was delayed.

My sole issue at this point is Nex 6 v 7. Various configurations can be had for about the same price. I have done a little research and that shows slight edge to 7 with IQ. I get it that the Nex 6 is has some improvements, even advantages over the 7 (aside from some navigational controls) Assuming that the image quality is the about the same, which would be the recommended selection you would make based on your own readings and/or experience.

I am leaning towards the 7 with the 2 Sigma lens($199 deal) or the 6, kit lens and 2 Sigma lens deal.

-- hide signature --

Joe

Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
HeavyDuty
Senior MemberPosts: 1,120
Like?
Re: Coming back to Nex system...6 or 7 based on current pricing?
In reply to joe talks photography, Mar 20, 2013
-- hide signature --

Ken in Illinois
Railroad Action: http://www.pbase.com/kjford
Candids: http://www.pbase.com/kjford/other

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
joe talks photography
Regular MemberPosts: 247Gear list
Like?
In reply to HeavyDuty, Mar 20, 2013
-- hide signature --

Ken in Illinois

explain for me what you are intending to conveying to me...

-- hide signature --

Joe

cptrios
Senior MemberPosts: 1,347
Like?

It all comes down to the manual controls for me. The only real advantage the 6 has over the 7 is that it works better with certain WA lenses, which is something about which you may or may not care (the two Sigmas work equally well with both cameras). If you value manual control, the 7 is the only real choice...but if you've got, say, a CV 15mm lying around and are dying to use it, you might want to think about the 6. Lots of folks will argue that the NEX-7's high ISO performance is worse, but the difference is much, much smaller than it's made out to be.

I guess it also depends on whether or not you want the kit lens (which I consider to be pretty sub-par...I know there are those who disagree). A used NEX-7 with the kit lens will probably set you back about $100 more than the equivalent NEX-6 setup.

Section10
Contributing MemberPosts: 646Gear list
Like?
In reply to cptrios, Mar 20, 2013

If you switch back and forth from 6 and 7 you may not really miss the tri-nav system, you won't need it as much when you have the 6's mode dial. I mostly use Manual mode and the 6 does everything I need to the point I don't crave the tri-nav. IQ is mostly better for PP with the extra mp's in the 7. But the 6 will have upgrade ISO performance. Depends on what you really need. 6 has, IMO, better features, but it's up to you whether you need them. They feel the same, minus the 6's extra 'coating' vs the 7's rather flat metal. I don't prefer one or the other on that....

Section10's gear list:Section10's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1R Sony Alpha NEX-5 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +2 more
HeavyDuty
Senior MemberPosts: 1,120
Like?
-- hide signature --

Ken in Illinois

explain for me what you are intending to conveying to me...

-- hide signature --

Joe

That was odd - I had submitted a reply, but poof! it's gone.

I was saying that I find the NEX-6 control arrangement to be less useful than the NEX-7's Tri-Navi, so for me it would be a simple choice - but YMMV.

-- hide signature --

Ken in Illinois

doinksdoinks
New MemberPosts: 18Gear list
Like?
In reply to joe talks photography, Mar 21, 2013

Nex 6 FTW!

doinksdoinks's gear list:doinksdoinks's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS
seachicken2000
Senior MemberPosts: 2,619Gear list
Like?

In the red corner:

• Phase-detect AF
  • Apps and WiFi
  • Cheap

In the magenta corner:

• 24MPixels of fun
  • Tri-navi interface
  • Magenta corners

As for noise, it probably depends on whether you shoot RAW or JPG, and how you process your RAW. YMMV but I used the latest Lightroom as best I could on 16M and 24M NEX ISO 3200 images, and got this:

I don't think there's too much to choose between them, and they both look excellent for that ISO. According to DXOMark the NEX-7 is a fraction of a stop more noisy ... but it's also more detailed, and with noise reduction processing in software you can trade detail for less noise.

I might be tempted to hang on and get the NEX-7n that is rumored to be around the corner, if you can wait and believe in rumors. It should move all of the NEX-6 advantages (apart from cheap) onto the NEX-7 list, and up the performance by 1/2 a stop, settling the which is best at high ISO debate once and for all (until the NEXt camera is released).

-- hide signature --

"The only thing that gets in the way of a really good photograph, is the camera"
Norman Parkinson

seachicken2000's gear list:seachicken2000's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +17 more
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 6,690Gear list
Like?

joe talks photography wrote:

I was an early adopter of the Nex 5 and later the 5n. The cost of the evf moved me off the system after the Nex 7 was delayed.

?? the EVF is a lot less than the Nex-7 ??

I guess that you are saying the another brand camera with EVF was available, and no Nex camera - at that time.

My sole issue at this point is Nex 6 v 7. Various configurations can be had for about the same price.

True

I have done a little research and that shows slight edge to 7 with IQ.

Not true.

If high-ISO and the 7 images are down-sampled, than your statement is true, but if low ISO, the 7 has a significant (resolution/detail) edge over almost any (16Mp) APS-C camera out there.

but it comes with the magenta cast issue for many WA lenses.

I get it that the Nex 6 is has some improvements, even advantages over the 7 (aside from some navigational controls)

PDAF + WiFi can be a big or a small deal - that depends on your needs and usage.

The navigation controls of the 6 and 7 are not that dissimilar, unless you shoot in M mode. In M mode, the 7 gives you direct button control to all essential parameters.

Assuming that the image quality is the about the same,

Depends on your needs - printsize? monitor usage? You may be satisfied with 16Mp images with both camera (ie. always downsample the Nex-7). But you can crop more on a Nex-7 with low ISO images.

which would be the recommended selection you would make based on your own readings and/or experience.

The Nex-6 is a more all-around camera, and is 'sufficient' for a majority of scenarios, it already includes the PDAF, handles RF lenses nicer, and cost less.

If pro-use is on the menu, consider the Nex-7.

I am leaning towards the 7 with the 2 Sigma lens($199 deal) or the 6, kit lens and 2 Sigma lens deal.

If you order the Nex-6 with 16-50 kit lens, it is the best deal. Then add the 2 Sigma lenses.

The other way to go is to wait for the Nex-7N announcement, next month?, for used Nex-7 prices to drop, and then search for a discounted used Nex-7 body, and add the Sigma lenses. In this case, I'd also pick up a used 18-55 lens.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +30 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads