Dell2713HM keeps reverting to standard preset

Started Mar 20, 2013 | Discussions
vpeters
Forum MemberPosts: 94
Like?
Dell2713HM keeps reverting to standard preset
Mar 20, 2013

I recently got a Dell2713HM with which I am generally quite satisfied. However, I want to use it on sRGB preset mode which I enable using the onscreen menu system. But it repeatedly reverts back to Standard preset mode and I need to repeatedly set it back. Sometimes I forget and, of course, this messes up my photo editing. Can someone tell me how to keep it on sRGB preset mode. I am using Windows 7 64 bit. Thanks.

-- hide signature --

vpeters

Zone8
Forum ProPosts: 15,488
Like?
Re: Dell2713HM keeps reverting to standard preset
In reply to vpeters, Mar 20, 2013

For permanent settings for your printer, use Control Panel (or Start-Printers) and double click your printer icon.  Make the changes in the printer's properties section there and that sets the printer's defaults.

When you change anything whilst using - it only ever changes for that one occasion.

-- hide signature --

Zone8: Although I am a handsome genius, when I stand in front of a mirror, I vaguely recognise the ugly idjit standing on the other side!
LINK: For B+W with Epson 1400 (and other models) using black ink only PLUS other useful tips:
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/epson1400-B&W.htm
Cleaning DSLR Sensors, including Kodak DSLR Factory Cleaning method:
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/KodakDCS-sensorcleaning.htm
Solving back/front focus problems on Sigma and most other DSLRs
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1027&message=35565277
PDF format list of lenses you can print or download - covers Italian Flag YES/NO for DCS 14n but applies to others. http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/ItiFlagLensList.pdf

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
vpeters
Like?
In reply to Zone8, Mar 20, 2013

This is not a printer, it's a display monitor. There must be something simple that I am overlooking. I searched through the online Dell user manual but couldn't find anything to help me. Surely someone out there must know how to fix this.

-- hide signature --

vpeters

NikonMike
Senior MemberPosts: 1,018Gear list
Like?
In reply to vpeters, Mar 21, 2013

I just received a new Dell U2413, so I hope you find the answer before I set it up and run into the same issue.  Although it's a wide-gamut monitor, my intention is to initially use it in sRGB mode.

NikonMike's gear list:NikonMike's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX200V
vpeters
Like?
In reply to NikonMike, Mar 21, 2013

Surely there's someone out there that has a U2713HM that can help me. Please.

NikonMike
Like?
In reply to vpeters, Mar 21, 2013

I've always had better luck getting good responses to questions on PhotoNet than here.  Nikonians is about the worst.  Nobody ever helps you.  (But the site kingpins are always trying to talk people into buying equipment from their pro shop)

vpeters
Like?
In reply to NikonMike, Mar 22, 2013

Actually I'm quite surprised.  Usually people here are quite helpful and I would have thought there would be lots of people who could help with this problem.  Instead all I get is an answer from someone who thinks I'm talking about a printer.  Who would a thunk it.

-- hide signature --

vpeters

Karl Summers
Regular MemberPosts: 172Gear list
Like?
In reply to vpeters, Mar 22, 2013

vpeters wrote:

I recently got a Dell2713HM with which I am generally quite satisfied. However, I want to use it on sRGB preset mode which I enable using the onscreen menu system. But it repeatedly reverts back to Standard preset mode and I need to repeatedly set it back. Sometimes I forget and, of course, this messes up my photo editing. Can someone tell me how to keep it on sRGB preset mode. I am using Windows 7 64 bit. Thanks.

-- hide signature --

vpeters

I just bought a U2713H, and it was acting funny, would revert back and forth until I turned off "smart enhance". Not sure if your model has this feature. Worth a try.

Karl Summers's gear list:Karl Summers's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Nikon D610 Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM
NewsyL
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,466
Like?

vpeters wrote:

Actually I'm quite surprised. Usually people here are quite helpful and I would have thought there would be lots of people who could help with this problem. Instead all I get is an answer from someone who thinks I'm talking about a printer. Who would a thunk it.

The monitor is too new and there is just not a large installed base as yet.  Six months from now....

I think you should try the Dell support forums.

Another site may be the Hard OCP forum for Displays.

http://hardforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78

Here's a specific U2713HM thread... http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1710005

-- hide signature --

vpeters
Like?
In reply to Karl Summers, Mar 22, 2013

Karl Summers wrote:

vpeters wrote:

-- hide signature --

vpeters

I just bought a U2713H, and it was acting funny, would revert back and forth until I turned off "smart enhance". Not sure if your model has this feature. Worth a try.

Thanks for that suggestion but no, my model doesn't have that feature. Nothing to turn off.

-- hide signature --

vpeters

NikonMike
Like?

I just got my new Dell U2413 set up.  Using the display manager (not the touchbuttons) in manual mode I selected sRGB color space.  So far, it hasn't reverted back to standard preset, including after I shut the PC down and restarted it.  A question I have is this, which I know is silly, do you need to do anything with the monitor profile that was already in the system from where I calibrated my last monitor?  Does it need to be deleted or does the new monitor driver and settings override the previous profile?  I just want to make sure the colors I'm seeing are right and not affected by the profile that was already on my system.
--
Mike

vpeters
Like?
In reply to NikonMike, Mar 24, 2013

NikonMike wrote:

I just got my new Dell U2413 set up. Using the display manager (not the touchbuttons) in manual mode I selected sRGB color space. So far, it hasn't reverted back to standard preset, including after I shut the PC down and restarted it. A question I have is this, which I know is silly, do you need to do anything with the monitor profile that was already in the system from where I calibrated my last monitor? Does it need to be deleted or does the new monitor driver and settings override the previous profile? I just want to make sure the colors I'm seeing are right and not affected by the profile that was already on my system.
--
Mike

Mike

I think I know the answer to your question and interestingly it also solved my problem I think.

When I first got my U2713 I tried to calibrate it with a very old colorimeter I had. I decided that the built in sRGB preset was better than the results that I was getting so I just used the preset. Then, as you know, my monitor get switching back to the standard preset. Your question got me thinking and so I went back to look at my ini files and sure enough there was one that I had created. I deleted that file so only the Dell default file was there and now my monitor seems to be staying on the sRGB preset that I put it at. It's only been a day so we'll see.

I also have a two monitor setup and as I looked at the ini files I realized that they are kept separate for each monitor. So, coming back to your question, I think you will find that your old profile settings should have no affect on your new monitor. I stand to be corrected, but I think that is the case. Hopefully, someone with better knowledge than myself will be able to answer you more definitively.

By the way Newsys, I followed your advice and have hone to herdforum and the Dell support forums for advice nut so far nothing from them either. Hopefully, however, what I say above has solved my problem. If not, I'll post again; otherwise, if you don't hear from me then it is solved. Thanks.

-- hide signature --

vpeters

NikonMike
Like?
In reply to vpeters, Mar 24, 2013

Thanks a lot.   I'm thinking that the older profile doesn't affect it either.  When you go into the Dell Display Manager and select a profile, that is the one that is used. To be honest, I'm not 100% sure what the old profile is.  I found one that's named "1-generic PnP monitor" which I believe is it.  As you need to purchase the $250 Xrite I1 Display Pro to establish your own custom profile, I'm planning to just use the pre-calibrated sRGB and RGB profiles at least for now.  If I find prints aren't matching what is on screen, then I'll need to bite the bullet I guess.  According to a test I read on the U2413 monitor, it's supposed to be very accurate.  That said, at times I feel like there's a slight yellowish cast, but I'm sure it's just me.  Overall, I'm very impressed with the new monitor, as I can now see shades and colors that I never could before.  Never thought I would ever spend $500 for a monitor, but I think it will be worth it.

vpeters
Like?
In reply to NikonMike, Mar 28, 2013

Bad news. My problem is not solved. I thought by deleting the old ini file my monitor would remain on the preset mode I set (i.e. sRGB) but it continues to reset itself to the standard preset mode.

Any ideas anyone as to how I can solve this?
--
vpeters

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads