iPad mini as RAW backup

Started Mar 19, 2013 | Discussions
Art Jacks
Senior MemberPosts: 1,583
Like?
Re: There ain't no space and time
In reply to Cyril Catt, Apr 16, 2013

Based on my recent 10 day visit to Switzerland I would  have thought the overall capacity of the iPad would be much too small for a 5 month trip, I am using a D800E so nef files are large but I came home with over 120 Gb of image files and my wife with a D800 had just over 100 Gb to her name. We take a rMBP and off load the images to the internal SSD and a backup copy is made to an external bus driven HD.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Cyril Catt
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,015
Like?
In reply to Art Jacks, Apr 18, 2013

Art Jacks wrote:

Based on my recent 10 day visit to Switzerland I would  have thought the overall capacity of the iPad would be much too small for a 5 month trip, I am using a D800E so nef files are large but I came home with over 120 Gb of image files and my wife with a D800 had just over 100 Gb to her name. We take a rMBP and off load the images to the internal SSD and a backup copy is made to an external bus driven HD.

Gosh, Art, 12 GB a day! And there was me thinking I was being a bit rash in clicking off 2GB a day! But admittedly, your files are a lot larger.

I did use a netbook on a previous trip, but found it heavier than I liked to carry. For my forthcoming trip I will be using 7 inch Android tablet to back up on USB flash drives. But an even smaller rig, with more storage, is shown in Andreas Bank's blog at:

http://www.andreasbank1980.blogspot.de/2012/08/on-go-image-backup-for-10-only.html

-- hide signature --

Cyril

DeePeeBee
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to Cyril Catt, Apr 19, 2013

I thought I had the answer on my last trip by dowloading from my 5D Mark III via the camera connector directly to my iPad mini and then dowloading from the iPad to a Seagate Wireless Plus hard drives (I would have bought a second one for redundant backup). But then I ran into a blank wall when I looked for the "delete all" button on the iPad and found that the only way to make room for the next download is to manually swipe each and every one of the photos on the iPad.

So, I'm now looking for an Android to replace the iPad mini. Could anyone elaborate on the Pros and Cons of the Galaxy vs the Nexus??

Are apps required to make the Android work as a funnel for HDD back-ups? Do both require an OTG cable?

I'm ok with using the Wireless Plus drives, transfer is not fast, but it's tolerable. You are not dependent on some external wi-fi, the HDD creates it's own wi-fi network so it seemed pretty stable although it's probably much slower than a USB connection.
Thanks, Dorothy

noirdesir
Forum ProPosts: 10,967
Like?
In reply to DeePeeBee, Apr 20, 2013

DeePeeBee wrote:

I thought I had the answer on my last trip by dowloading from my 5D Mark III via the camera connector directly to my iPad mini and then dowloading from the iPad to a Seagate Wireless Plus hard drives (I would have bought a second one for redundant backup). But then I ran into a blank wall when I looked for the "delete all" button on the iPad and found that the only way to make room for the next download is to manually swipe each and every one of the photos on the iPad.

You can use a two-finger swipe across all the images to select them a bit more quickly for deletion (after tapping the edit button you need too hold down two fingers for a brief moment and then slide them over all your images, you should start with putting both fingers on the same image when starting otherwise the first one won't be selected). But you still need to slide over all images which can take a bit if you have a lot of images.

Cyril Catt
Like?
In reply to DeePeeBee, Apr 22, 2013

Dorothy, As new versions and models emerge, the specifications of these devices change rapidly, and may also differ between different countries depending on supply. Although the Nexus appeared to have a faster processor and newer operating system at the time I bought my Galaxy Tab II 7 inch model, the Galaxy had a slot for a 32 GB micro SD card to be added and a USB/SD kit to upload or download files. (It also has front and back cameras vs only a front one on the Nexus, but I am unlikely to use either).  (I understand that with an operating system upgrade to Jellybean the external card slot will be able to take 64GB microSD cards.)

Since my purchase, connectors have become available in my local (Australian) shops to load picture files to the Nexus (although OTG cables appear to differ in capabilities), and a 32GB model has become available. But I still prefer the Galaxy because of the external memory slot. This gives me several ways of backing up my camera SD cards (i) use the connection kit to load files to a series of external ( relatively expensive) microSD cards; (ii) load to external microSD card, then use the connection kit to unload to (iii) additional (cheaper) SD cards, (iv) (even cheaper) USB flash drives, or (v) with a powered USB hub, load to a portable USB hard drive; and, of course, (vi) by possibly slow, expensive, or unreliable wifi - when available.

-- hide signature --

Cyril

Cyril Catt
Like?
In reply to DeePeeBee, Apr 22, 2013

Dorothy, there are some more details on the "downloading from cfcard to external hd" thread at

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3472290

-- hide signature --

Cyril

IvanM
Regular MemberPosts: 403Gear list
Like?
In reply to DeePeeBee, 7 months ago

DeePeeBee wrote:

I thought I had the answer on my last trip by dowloading from my 5D Mark III via the camera connector directly to my iPad mini and then dowloading from the iPad to a Seagate Wireless Plus hard drives (I would have bought a second one for redundant backup). But then I ran into a blank wall when I looked for the "delete all" button on the iPad and found that the only way to make room for the next download is to manually swipe each and every one of the photos on the iPad.

So, I'm now looking for an Android to replace the iPad mini. Could anyone elaborate on the Pros and Cons of the Galaxy vs the Nexus??

Are apps required to make the Android work as a funnel for HDD back-ups? Do both require an OTG cable?

I'm ok with using the Wireless Plus drives, transfer is not fast, but it's tolerable. You are not dependent on some external wi-fi, the HDD creates it's own wi-fi network so it seemed pretty stable although it's probably much slower than a USB connection.
Thanks, Dorothy

Cyril, could one not load the images to the I-pad and when you want to delete them, delete them via a PC connected to the  Seagate Plus?  It means you might not be able to delete on the fly, but only once back home and connected to a PC/mac it would be easy...

regards, Ivan Muller
http://thelazytravelphotographer.blogspot.com/
http://www.ivanmullerphotography.com/

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads