I'm Staying Married to Olympus!!

Started Mar 19, 2013 | Discussions
CollBaxter
Forum ProPosts: 12,438Gear list
Like?
LOL. (n/t)
In reply to Art_P, Mar 21, 2013
-- hide signature --

Collin
(Aficionado Olympus DSLR )
http://collinbaxter.zenfolio.com/
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. (George Carlin)
New Seventh Wonder of the World.
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter/image/95297052.jpg

 CollBaxter's gear list:CollBaxter's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Olympus E-500 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
historianx
Contributing MemberPosts: 804
Like?
Re: LOL. (n/t)
In reply to CollBaxter, Mar 21, 2013

I'm married as well, if I made a jump to bigger sensored cam i'd leapfrog FF and just go medium format.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
hvg
hvg
Regular MemberPosts: 129Gear list
Like?
Re: I'm Staying Married to Olympus!!
In reply to Doctor Lecter, Mar 21, 2013

How about a gay marriage.  The E5 is the same price as the Canon 6D at Vistek Canada.  You can use legacy Olympus lenses with an adapter on the 6D!

 hvg's gear list:hvg's gear list
Olympus E-M1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Art_P
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,067Gear list
Like?
Then again...
In reply to hvg, Mar 22, 2013

You can use Canon lenses (w the proper adapter) on the OM-D

-- hide signature --

Art P
"I am a creature of contrast,
of light and shadow.
I live where the two play together,
I thrive on the conflict"

 Art_P's gear list:Art_P's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
skysurfer5
Regular MemberPosts: 357Gear list
Like?
I don't have a choice and I'm OK with that.
In reply to Doctor Lecter, Mar 22, 2013

I don't have a choice.  I have to stay with Olympus, if for no other reason than my wife, my oldest daughter, her husband, one of my nephews, and a good friend all have 4:3 or micro 4:3 cameras and I'm the one they borrow stuff from, like lenses, flash, etc.  

Not only that, but I have 2 OM cameras, 6 lenses, and 3 telescopes that I use for astrophotography.  With adapters, I can connect my OM lenses and telescopes to my E-1 and E-5.  Changing systems would require new adapters and that's more stress than I want to take on right now.  

Oh, and I happen to really like my E cameras and full suite of HG lenses (I also have the 40-150 MkI and 35 macro).  It comes down to this:  I have a very rugged and very weather sealed kit that is much better at photography than I am.  Except in a couple of areas I would gain nothing by switching systems and I would lose more than I would gain.

-- hide signature --

'Is it the only lesson of history that mankind is unteachable?'
…Winston S. Churchill

 skysurfer5's gear list:skysurfer5's gear list
Olympus E-5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Darrell500
Senior MemberPosts: 1,990Gear list
Like?
Re: Now that I think about it
In reply to Art_P, Mar 22, 2013

Well if cameras are women I'm guilty of attaching my lens to five different bodies, they all have the same last name so I'm keeping it in the family :-).

-- hide signature --

"Don't Be Afraid To See What You See"
Darrell

 Darrell500's gear list:Darrell500's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1030 SW Olympus E-500 Olympus E-520 Olympus E-5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +27 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Barry Stewart
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,053Gear list
Like?
Adding to the silliness
In reply to skysurfer5, Mar 22, 2013

My first wife, C-5060, left me a widower when she passed away a day after our first anniversary of a congenital defect (the dreaded belly button-dial failure). I tried in vain to save her but it was too late. I keep her in a box, along with our marriage certificate, and I think of her occasionally — especially when I come across our honeymoon photos.

I had always been impressed by her other qualities and kept my eye out for her identical triplet sisters.

Eventually I found them. They had both been scorned by their first lovers but I took them in and I play with them from time to time. They both ask about their sister but I don't have the heart to tell them that she's sitting in pieces in a cardboard box, six inches under their shelf.

One even likes to go swimming, so I bought her some underwater gear. Still, I don't know how long I can stay with them. The one with the long black strap — the one who doesn't like swimming — constantly nags that I "don't turn her on anymore."

"Oh yeah?" I think to myself. "Let me show you what I did to your sister!"

In 2002, I heard about another sibling. She had a fraternal twin, who was the first-born. From her dark looks, I suspect the "twins" actually had different fathers. The other girl was silver — but this one was all black. Many thought the twins were weird-looking but I looked past that when I saw what they could do.

The sister was nicknamed UZI and my new girl was called EZI. I asked why people called her that and she muttered something about "new-in-box." She was still like new when I got her but the fingerprints told me that she had been around the block with some other guys. What they had done on a glass countertop, I didn't want to think about....

But what a relationship we had for a couple of years! I took her everywhere. It was the best action I had had since my Minolta 9xi film days, (at 4.5 fps.) EZI could shoot at 15 fps — and flash me five times in a second.

At that rate, she actually wore my flasher out — and at about the same time, I realized that she was holding me back... despite her machine gun firepower. I appreciated the stability of my zoom, but I couldn't get it to go — you know — fast enough.

I realized that I was missing the ability to shoot long then turn and fire wide, like I had in the organic era. I needed a DSLR.

(To be continued... if I'm not banned.)

-- hide signature --

Barry

 Barry Stewart's gear list:Barry Stewart's gear list
Olympus C-5060 Wide Zoom Olympus Tough TG-3 Olympus E-1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: gay marriage
In reply to hvg, Mar 22, 2013

Technically, wouldn't a "gay" marriage be an Olympus lens on an Olympus body?

-- hide signature --

Dr. Lecter

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
skysurfer5
Regular MemberPosts: 357Gear list
Like?
Re: Adding to the silliness
In reply to Barry Stewart, Mar 22, 2013

-- hide signature --

'Is it the only lesson of history that mankind is unteachable?'
…Winston S. Churchill

 skysurfer5's gear list:skysurfer5's gear list
Olympus E-5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Art_P
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,067Gear list
Like?
I think
In reply to Doctor Lecter, Mar 22, 2013

it would be mating lens to lens, as when making a macro combination.

but then, you'd still need a body, so it would be a threesome?

-- hide signature --

Art P
"I am a creature of contrast,
of light and shadow.
I live where the two play together,
I thrive on the conflict"

 Art_P's gear list:Art_P's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: I think
In reply to Art_P, Mar 22, 2013

that's it. Fetish stuff would be using rails and bellows (?)

-- hide signature --

Dr. Lecter

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Darrell500
Senior MemberPosts: 1,990Gear list
Like?
Re: Adding to the silliness
In reply to Barry Stewart, Mar 23, 2013

Barry Stewart wrote:

My first wife, C-5060, left me a widower when she passed away a day after our first anniversary of a congenital defect (the dreaded belly button-dial failure). I tried in vain to save her but it was too late. I keep her in a box, along with our marriage certificate, and I think of her occasionally — especially when I come across our honeymoon photos.

I had always been impressed by her other qualities and kept my eye out for her identical triplet sisters.

Eventually I found them. They had both been scorned by their first lovers but I took them in and I play with them from time to time. They both ask about their sister but I don't have the heart to tell them that she's sitting in pieces in a cardboard box, six inches under their shelf.

One even likes to go swimming, so I bought her some underwater gear. Still, I don't know how long I can stay with them. The one with the long black strap — the one who doesn't like swimming — constantly nags that I "don't turn her on anymore."

"Oh yeah?" I think to myself. "Let me show you what I did to your sister!"

In 2002, I heard about another sibling. She had a fraternal twin, who was the first-born. From her dark looks, I suspect the "twins" actually had different fathers. The other girl was silver — but this one was all black. Many thought the twins were weird-looking but I looked past that when I saw what they could do.

The sister was nicknamed UZI and my new girl was called EZI. I asked why people called her that and she muttered something about "new-in-box." She was still like new when I got her but the fingerprints told me that she had been around the block with some other guys. What they had done on a glass countertop, I didn't want to think about....

But what a relationship we had for a couple of years! I took her everywhere. It was the best action I had had since my Minolta 9xi film days, (at 4.5 fps.) EZI could shoot at 15 fps — and flash me five times in a second.

At that rate, she actually wore my flasher out — and at about the same time, I realized that she was holding me back... despite her machine gun firepower. I appreciated the stability of my zoom, but I couldn't get it to go — you know — fast enough.

This is to funny but I lost with when I read about how many times she flashed you and oh when your zoom stops working they have something that will repair that nowadays.

Oh don't forget some of the best times with your lens are the with the manual ones.

Now were both banned by the dp decency Police

I realized that I was missing the ability to shoot long then turn and fire wide, like I had in the organic era. I needed a DSLR.

(To be continued... if I'm not banned.)

-- hide signature --

Barry

-- hide signature --

"Don't Be Afraid To See What You See"
Darrell

 Darrell500's gear list:Darrell500's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1030 SW Olympus E-500 Olympus E-520 Olympus E-5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +27 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Always Good
Junior MemberPosts: 38
Like?
Re: More Gloom and Doom
In reply to Darrell500, Mar 23, 2013

This photo is a cracker!  Well done!

I fail to see the need for any more than this and wonder why people buy into the notion that Olympus is no good at high ISO.  This is plenty good and I firmly believe that a higher resolution, cleaner image wouldn't deliver the message any better.  From the "Abigail" tat to the "All Access" pass hanging from his belt, there is enough detail here for a cd insert, webpage, magazine cover or even a poster for a bedroom wall.

That would have been a great show and you certainly must have had a good time, as evidenced by the emotion and energy in the image.

But then again you were using Oly gear, so, as one of their songs goes: "My tears don't fall, they crash around me."

Doom and gloom for sure.

-- hide signature --

Eat an apple everyday; an onion keeps everyone away.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Great Bustard
Forum ProPosts: 22,620
Like?
Equivalence in action.
In reply to Darrell500, Mar 23, 2013

Darrell500 wrote:

My 90-250mm just arrived today. Needless to say I so totally distressed that I may have to go out and take some photos with it (if I can lift the damned thing)

Craig your killing me, I'm turning green with envy, I am so lusting after that lens.

My Olympus files are so bad I was hired to shoot the Rock Star Energy Drinks Uproar Festival last year. You should have seen the look I got from a newpaper guy when he asked if that was a Canon and I said no it's Olympus, he said he didin't realize Oly made anything like that. ( E-5 w/35-100)

Here is one of the lowlight pics you can't get with Olympus gear, dang I must need a Canikon.

Jason James with Bullet For My Valentine E-5 35-100 ISO 1600 Shutter Priority 1/640 f/3.2

Exactly right.  You shot that with an f/2 lens, yet you stopped down to f/3.2.  Why?  For more DOF.  You also shot at 1/640.  Why?  For less motion blur.  Clearly, the greater DOF and minimizing motion blur mattered more to you than getting the least noise that you could.

Thus, a FF photographer would have had to shoot that at f/6.4 ISO 6400 to get the same DOF and shutter speed, and say goodbye to any noise advantage FF would have otherwise had (assuming equally efficient sensors, of course).

Even more than that, even though the 1/640 shutter speed did a decent job of mitigating motion blur, motion blur is still visible.  So, what good would come from 20+ MP over the 12 MP of the E5?  Just larger files and longer processing time.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MrScorpio
Senior MemberPosts: 1,351Gear list
Like?
Re: I'm Staying Married to Olympus!!
In reply to Doctor Lecter, Mar 25, 2013

Owning the OMD and 6D I agree that it is the skill of the photographer that makes a photo. Rarely, if ever, the tools. Like buying a new hammer and think the fence you are about to build will look better.

Still remember my excellent E3...

Made with the good old E3...

Doctor Lecter wrote:

Just to counteract all of the "guess what, I'm leaving Olympus" posts as of late, here's my post stating that I will not be divorcing Olympus.

I love my E-30, E-1, and lenses!

The E-1 is still the bomb; better photos than a lot of new gear (IMHO) and the E-30 is more than I even need. I recently had a 24 by 36 metal print made from an E-30 file... awesome! People love it, and no one has said "gee, isn't that print from just a 12 megapixel camera... and, ughh, an Olympus at that... I think I just threw up a little when I said that..."

So, in closing, I truly dig my Oly gear... I look forward to their next offering, whatever it may be... and, for now, I don't even need a new camera anyway.

-- hide signature --

Dr. Lecter

-- hide signature --
 MrScorpio's gear list:MrScorpio's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Torlang
Regular MemberPosts: 139Gear list
Like?
Re: More Gloom and Doom
In reply to Craig from Nevada, Mar 25, 2013

That's funny. If you can't handle it, just send it over, and I will put it to good use.

No, I am not selling any of my oly gear. I don't see outgrowing my E5 in the foreseeable future..

 Torlang's gear list:Torlang's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JustFred
Senior MemberPosts: 1,503
Like?
Re: I'm Staying Married to Olympus!!
In reply to Doctor Lecter, Mar 25, 2013

Doctor Lecter wrote:

Just to counteract all of the "guess what, I'm leaving Olympus" posts as of late, here's my post stating that I will not be divorcing Olympus.

I love my E-30, E-1, and lenses!

The E-1 is still the bomb; better photos than a lot of new gear (IMHO) and the E-30 is more than I even need. I recently had a 24 by 36 metal print made from an E-30 file... awesome! People love it, and no one has said "gee, isn't that print from just a 12 megapixel camera... and, ughh, an Olympus at that... I think I just threw up a little when I said that..."

So, in closing, I truly dig my Oly gear... I look forward to their next offering, whatever it may be... and, for now, I don't even need a new camera anyway.

-- hide signature --

Dr. Lecter

I am fully behind your decision and share your sentiments 100%. I too am happily married to my E-1 and she is a lovely lady with such nice attributes such as her delicious 50mm f2 Macro, her delectable 11-22mm and her surprising 40-150mm MK1.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keith Hatfull
Contributing MemberPosts: 529
Like?
Re: More Gloom and Doom
In reply to Craig from Nevada, Mar 25, 2013

Craig from Nevada wrote:

My 90-250mm just arrived today. Needless to say I so totally distressed that I may have to go out and take some photos with it (if I can lift the damned thing)

I tried out the Gloom and Doom Zoom yesterday It is an amazing lens. It is going to take some time to learn how to make the most of its capabilities.

Four words: tripod with quality head

-- hide signature --

Keith Hatfull - Woodbury, MN
http://keithhatfull.smugmug.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads