I'm Staying Married to Olympus!!

Started Mar 19, 2013 | Discussions
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
I'm Staying Married to Olympus!!
Mar 19, 2013

Just to counteract all of the "guess what, I'm leaving Olympus" posts as of late, here's my post stating that I will not be divorcing Olympus.

I love my E-30, E-1, and lenses!

The E-1 is still the bomb; better photos than a lot of new gear (IMHO) and the E-30 is more than I even need. I recently had a 24 by 36 metal print made from an E-30 file... awesome! People love it, and no one has said "gee, isn't that print from just a 12 megapixel camera... and, ughh, an​ Olympus​ at that... I think I just threw up a little when I said that..."

So, in closing, I truly dig my Oly gear... I look forward to their next offering, whatever it may be... and, for now, I don't even need a new camera anyway.

-- hide signature --

Dr. Lecter

Olympus E-1 Olympus E-30
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
anakin2178
Regular MemberPosts: 162Gear list
Like?
Re: I'm Staying Married to Olympus!!
In reply to Doctor Lecter, Mar 19, 2013

I'm with you... I just got married to Olympus, still on my honeymoon and am loving the photos I have taken so far!

anakin2178's gear list:anakin2178's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 35-100mm 1:2.0 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Roger Engelken
Senior MemberPosts: 2,718Gear list
Like?
In reply to Doctor Lecter, Mar 19, 2013

Just to counteract all of the "guess what, I'm leaving Olympus" posts as of late, here's my post stating that I will not be divorcing Olympus.

The E-1 is still the bomb; better photos than a lot of new gear (IMHO) and the E-30 is more than I even need. I recently had a 24 by 36 metal print made from an E-30 file... awesome! People love it, and no one has said "gee, isn't that print from just a 12 megapixel camera... and, ughh, an Olympus at that... I think I just threw up a little when I said that..."

So, in closing, I truly dig my Oly gear... I look forward to their next offering, whatever it may be... and, for now, I don't even need a new camera anyway.

-- hide signature --

Dr. Lecter

Sounds good and good to hear.  After all, divorce seldom comes out for the better or the way one expected it to.  Long past time to send the pessimists packing.

Roger.

Roger Engelken's gear list:Roger Engelken's gear list
Olympus TG-830 iHS Olympus E-1 Olympus E-420 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 +22 more
pris
Senior MemberPosts: 2,144
Like?
I may divorce my E-5...
In reply to Doctor Lecter, Mar 20, 2013

The E-1 is still the bomb; better photos than a lot of new gear (IMHO) and the E-30 is more than I even need. I recently had a 24 by 36 metal print made from an E-30 file... awesome! People love it, and no one has said "gee, isn't that print from just a 12 megapixel camera... and, ughh, an Olympus at that... I think I just threw up a little when I said that..."

-- hide signature --

Dr. Lecter

...for younger and sexier E-7, but it's kind of staying in the family, right?  Great camera, great lenses, and next iteration will be even better. I have no frikin idea what's with all the bitter whining.  Or with this incredible gear angst during time of unprecedented choices available. Anyone who can't get a great IQ with just about any camera released in last years should seriously look at something other than camera quality.

Printing up to 24 x 36 with occasional bigger ones, got three photobooks published, one of them commissioned after client has seen first two, four calendars, a whole lot of stock photos, prints for corporate clients and local visitor guide, and guess what... "Pfft, that's obviously Olympus file, too poor IQ for it to be anything else" said no one ever.

Craig from Nevada
Contributing MemberPosts: 585Gear list
Like?
More
In reply to pris, Mar 20, 2013

-- hide signature --

Dr. Lecter

...for younger and sexier E-7, but it's kind of staying in the family, right? Great camera, great lenses, and next iteration will be even better. I have no frikin idea what's with all the bitter whining. Or with this incredible gear angst during time of unprecedented choices available. Anyone who can't get a great IQ with just about any camera released in last years should seriously look at something other than camera quality.

Printing up to 24 x 36 with occasional bigger ones, got three photobooks published, one of them commissioned after client has seen first two, four calendars, a whole lot of stock photos, prints for corporate clients and local visitor guide, and guess what... "Pfft, that's obviously Olympus file, too poor IQ for it to be anything else" said no one ever.

Craig from Nevada
Like?
Re: More Gloom and Doom
In reply to Craig from Nevada, Mar 20, 2013

My 90-250mm just arrived today.  Needless to say I so totally distressed that I may have to go out and take some photos with it (if I can lift the damned thing)

Denjw
Senior MemberPosts: 2,406Gear list
Like?

Gee Craig that's a gutsy purchase in view of all the gloom and doom! 

That lens is on my wish list but I am not game to pull the trigger unless Oly produces a new E-7 with a sensor and AF to do it justice.

Did you purchase new or secondhand? Would love to here your impressions of it and some sample shots once you have got familiar with using it.

Cheers

Dennis

-- hide signature --
 Denjw's gear list:Denjw's gear list
Olympus E-300 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +10 more
Roger Engelken
Like?
No More Gloom and Doom
In reply to Denjw, Mar 20, 2013

But if you do not purchase a Zuiko lens, how can you possibly photograph and otherwise document all the gloom and doom? There has been so much of late, after all. Craig needed a massive lens in order to be sure and capture all the shots of the gloom and doom. The Zuiko 90-250 fit the bill just nicely, thank you very much.

Olympus TG-830 iHS Olympus E-1 Olympus E-420 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 +22 more
Craig from Nevada
Like?
In reply to Denjw, Mar 20, 2013

Gee Craig that's a gutsy purchase in view of all the gloom and doom!

That lens is on my wish list but I am not game to pull the trigger unless Oly produces a new E-7 with a sensor and AF to do it justice.

Did you purchase new or secondhand? Would love to here your impressions of it and some sample shots once you have got familiar with using it.

Cheers

Dennis

-- hide signature --

I purchased it used.  The lens was offered by Adorama on ebay this past week.  It was a best offer thing.  They asked $3,400.  I offered $2,900 and they took it. I was shocked they accepted the offer. They rated it E+ and have examined it carefully, I can say this was a pretty conservative rating.

The Olympus market is not in good shape when a reputable dealer such as Adorama is selling gear at these prices. I thought I got a great deal, until someone posted a link from E_bay uk where the same lens went for about $2,500.

Craig from Nevada
Like?
Re: No More Gloom and Doom
In reply to Roger Engelken, Mar 20, 2013

But if you do not purchase a Zuiko lens, how can you possibly photograph and otherwise document all the gloom and doom? There has been so much of late, after all. Craig needed a massive lens in order to be sure and capture all the shots of the gloom and doom. The Zuiko 90-250 fit the bill just nicely, thank you very much.

I am not cutting any corners in the gloom and doom department.

Roger Engelken
Like?

I am not cutting any corners in the gloom and doom department.

That is putting it mildly.....

Denjw
Senior MemberPosts: 2,406Gear list
Like?

What a great bargain! Congrats and I am now truly envious!

-- hide signature --
 Denjw's gear list:Denjw's gear list
Olympus E-300 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +10 more
daddyo
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,899Gear list
Like?
Hey Craig, Wow! Can I borrow it?

I've got a tennis tournament coming up later in the Spring, and was just thinking the other day how much I would love to have the 90-250mm to shoot that event

Congratulations on a great lens!

God Bless,

Greg

www.imagsimphotos.com

www.mccroskery.zenfolio.com

www.pbase.com/daddyo

daddyo's gear list:daddyo's gear list
Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
pris
Senior MemberPosts: 2,144
Like?
I don't know...

... about this lens choice for the task... I'd think Ultra-wide is a better fit for this assignment!  

Messier Object
Senior MemberPosts: 2,684
Like?

Hi Roger,  bring on the Doom and Gloom  is what I say, because I'm perfectly equipped now to photograph it . . .

I'll shoot the Doom from a safe distance using my E-5 and ZD300 
And I'll shoot the Gloom  at ISO12800 using my 5DmkIII 

And I'll be working until I drop to pay for it all 

Peter

Roger Engelken
Like?
Re: I don't know...
In reply to pris, Mar 20, 2013

... about this lens choice for the task... I'd think Ultra-wide is a better fit for this assignment!

Good point....I would have to wonder if the 7-14 would be wide enough?  I suspect we have enough lenses to cover and smother the gloom and doom afoot.:-D

Roger Engelken
Like?
In reply to Messier Object, Mar 20, 2013

Hi Roger, bring on the Doom and Gloom is what I say, because I'm perfectly equipped now to photograph it . . .

I'll shoot the Doom from a safe distance using my E-5 and ZD300
And I'll shoot the Gloom at ISO12800 using my 5DmkIII

And I'll be working until I drop to pay for it all

Peter

Way too funny....now I know why I have seventeen of the Zuiko lenses.  I feel so liberated now.  

battybob
Forum MemberPosts: 61
Like?

Hello Doctor,

I am with you on this and backing up my faith with my hard earnt cash. Have just 'wasted' my bonus on a 35 - 100 re-furb (which is in transit from the US) to complete my holy trinity. As I started with Olympus in 1973 with an OM1 and remained loyal I guess I must be terminally ill. At least it is nice to know that there are a few others like us out there anyhow. I did see that 90 -250 on ebay in the UK last week, but was a good boy and sat on my hands. Have fun with yours anyhow.

Regards,

Bob

CollBaxter
Forum ProPosts: 12,386Gear list
Like?
It's like a long term marriage.

Its to expensive to get out of and it still has its moments.

-- hide signature --

Collin
(Aficionado Olympus DSLR )
http://collinbaxter.zenfolio.com/
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. (George Carlin)
New Seventh Wonder of the World.
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter/image/95297052.jpg

CollBaxter's gear list:CollBaxter's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Olympus E-500 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 +15 more
battybob
Forum MemberPosts: 61
Like?
Re: It's like a long term marriage.
In reply to CollBaxter, Mar 20, 2013

Hello Colin,

great observation. had a chuckle at that !

Regards,

Bob

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads