macbook pro with retina?

Started Mar 19, 2013 | Questions
Timothy Hans
Junior MemberPosts: 41Gear list
Like?
macbook pro with retina?
Mar 19, 2013

I'm debating purchasing a macbook pro with retina display to replace my sony vaio hd for work with lightroom 4 - is it worth the extra $$ for an apple product?

Timothy Hans's gear list:Timothy Hans's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99 Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 16mm F2.8 Fisheye Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G +10 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
vw671
Contributing MemberPosts: 511Gear list
Like?
Re: macbook pro with retina?
In reply to Timothy Hans, Mar 19, 2013

I just bought a rMBP 13" last week. First Mac I've ever owned in my life. I'm pretty happy with it...there is a Windows->Mac learning curve though. I bought it because a Windows Laptop with decent resolution does not exist.

vw671's gear list:vw671's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A57 Sony a77 II Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
success100
Contributing MemberPosts: 706Gear list
Like?

Honestly you just need to go to a apple store and try it out. I switched to a MacBook Pro last year and I would NEVER go back to a PC. It's seriously that good. I think for multimedia editing its superior to windows. There is a learning curve and yes you can get more powerful hardware for less money with a PC, however Macs will give you a level of smoothness, OS integration, build quality,, efficiency, and battery life that in my opinion can not be touched by a windows PC.

Honestly the mac vs PC debate will never die, it's all personal preference. Macs are usually built FAR better than there windows counterparts but windows machines have come a loooong way and some of them have build quality and features that DO rival that of MacBooks. I'm a long time user of windows and now that I've switched, I'd never go back. However some windows users will feel the exact opposite

josseee
Regular MemberPosts: 160Gear list
Like?

If you want it because of the retina then go for it!

The screen is simply amazing. No Windows laptop comes even close... I got mine 2 months ago, and Im still amazed looking at it

Was doing a lot of research before I got it, because I really wanted to avoid buying a mac. But in the end I did the right thing. However, Im still struggling a bit with the OSX... some things are really not that good. For example, why the hell dont they have a "del" button (have to use Fn+backspace..this irritates me incredibly..), when you have multiple applications with multiple instances of various documents open, it becomes a horrible mess (WIN is much more organized) and many, many annoying little things. Hope I will get over them soon

Despite the somehow not-as-fabulous-as-they-say OSX, Im really happy that I got it

josseee's gear list:josseee's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +4 more
EricWN
Contributing MemberPosts: 890
Like?

I switched to OS X pretty much when it first came out and have not looked back.

There is a learning curve but if you're open minded and ready to learn about your tools it's a very very nice experience. I'd never personally understand how anybody in their right mind can call OS X unorganised - but everybody has slightly different backgrounds and experience levels.

Like many others have done before, I recommend to get some good literature with the first Mac to really learn about the OS. The basic stuff is really simple, but since you essentially have a full BSD Unix under the hood, there are so much more things waiting for the power user. Many people including myself recommend David Pogue's "The Missing Manual" book - a great addition for every new Mac user.

Check the machines out in an Apple Retail Store, if you have one near you. They can also help you get started and set you up, provide extra face-to-face trainings etc.

afterburn
Contributing MemberPosts: 725Gear list
Like?
In reply to success100, Mar 19, 2013

success100 wrote:

Honestly you just need to go to a apple store and try it out. I switched to a MacBook Pro last year and I would NEVER go back to a PC. It's seriously that good. I think for multimedia editing its superior to windows. There is a learning curve and yes you can get more powerful hardware for less money with a PC, however Macs will give you a level of smoothness, OS integration, build quality,, efficiency, and battery life that in my opinion can not be touched by a windows PC.

Honestly the mac vs PC debate will never die, it's all personal preference. Macs are usually built FAR better than there windows counterparts but windows machines have come a loooong way and some of them have build quality and features that DO rival that of MacBooks. I'm a long time user of windows and now that I've switched, I'd never go back. However some windows users will feel the exact opposite

If you look for a PC with the same specifications, build quality, size and weight you end up having to pay a very similar amount of money. Point in case: a Dell XPS 15" with similar specs and SSD puts well over $2200 in the scale, and it is actually a little bit slower than the rMBP. This is something most people generally forget.

The point with a PC is, that you have a choice. You may not need/want that build quality, size, weight, etc in which case you can buy something that is much cheaper. Apple only focuses on the low volume, high profit, higher end part of the market, and shies away from the low profit bulk market.

That said, I switched 4 years ago and wouldn't want to go back. My current rMBP is simply amazing. I can not live with a low-res screen ever again and I will happily pay a little more than I would technically need just to get a machine that just does what I want it to do without hassle, malware and manufacturer bloat.

-- hide signature --

Gijs from The Netherlands
Nikon D800

afterburn's gear list:afterburn's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 +2 more
Timothy Hans
Junior MemberPosts: 41Gear list
Like?
In reply to EricWN, Mar 19, 2013

Thanks everyone - sounds like I need to make a trip to a mac store and get a first hand look at these machines!

Timothy Hans's gear list:Timothy Hans's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99 Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 16mm F2.8 Fisheye Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G +10 more
beachbumdave
Forum MemberPosts: 70Gear list
Like?

In my mind the most important difference between the Mac and the PC is the support offered by Apple.  You can get an appointment at the Genius Bar for any  Mac related problem which will give you a 15 minute or so conversation with the "Genius" that will lead to most problems being solved.   If the problem persists you can rebook an appointment.  There isn't any equivalent support for PCs.  Most PC vendors tech support is not said to be satisfactory. In my opinion this justifies the higher price of the Mac.

The telephone service during the warranty period is amazing.  The warranty time can be extended to 3 years by purchasing the extended Apple care.  I once had a problem with my  Mac not getting its email and had several telephone conversations with Apple support that finished with the problem (a corrupted system file) being solved.  I believe Apple computers have as many problems as the PC but the difference is that Apple will help you fix it.  When I owned a PC, there wasn't anybody to help me and I had to resort to reading forums, support websites and so forth. If you like to tinker and fix your computer get a PC.  If you want to spend your creative energy on your photography (Photoshop and Lightroom) then get an Apple

David

RustierOne
Senior MemberPosts: 1,583Gear list
Like?
In reply to josseee, Mar 20, 2013

If you want it because of the retina then go for it!

The screen is simply amazing. No Windows laptop comes even close... I got mine 2 months ago, and Im still amazed looking at it

Was doing a lot of research before I got it, because I really wanted to avoid buying a mac. But in the end I did the right thing. However, Im still struggling a bit with the OSX... some things are really not that good. For example, why the hell dont they have a "del" button (have to use Fn+backspace..this irritates me incredibly..), when you have multiple applications with multiple instances of various documents open, it becomes a horrible mess (WIN is much more organized) and many, many annoying little things. Hope I will get over them soon

OS X's Mission Control does a wonderful job of keeping all your opened windows organized. It's just a F3 keystroke away.

Despite the somehow not-as-fabulous-as-they-say OSX, Im really happy that I got it

I too have recently (February 2013) purchased a 15-inch rMBP and am quite thrilled with it. The Retina display has brought out details in my photos I didn't know were there. It's certainly different than my old Windows XP PC. But with Pogue's Missing Manual book I'm coming up to speed at a reasonable pace. There are times when using the old PC that now it seems to be the the strange one. The PC's track pad does only one thing - move the cursor. The Mac does so many other things on the trackpad that the one on the PC seems like stone-age technology. Sometimes I prefer using a USB 2 mouse with the Mac. But most of the time the trackpad is more convenient and useful. Getting used to the different key combinations needed to do old familiar Windows tasks has not been a problem.

I'm using Parallels with Windows 7 to run some old programs (Word, Excel, etc.) that I don't want to leave behind (or pay for Mac versions). I'm also discovering that OS X is very deep. There are so many things it can do, that I have to just take it slow and learn one task at a time. Many features of OS X I'll likely never use. But that was true for Windows as well. The speed and power of the Mac versus my six year old laptop is refreshing.

Like others have mentioned, the PC vs Mac debate will probably go on for a long time. Before, I've always thrown up my mental blinders when anyone said they prefer Macs. But once getting over that prejudice, I'm finding the Mac to be to my liking. I would be surprised if I ever buy another PC. That's my opinion for what its worth.

-- hide signature --

Best Regards,
Russ

RustierOne's gear list:RustierOne's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +3 more
MrMojo
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,215
Like?
This Will Help...
In reply to Timothy Hans, Mar 20, 2013

Switching to the Mac: The Missing Manual, Mountain Lion Edition

http://www.amazon.com/Switching-Mac-Missing-Mountain-Edition/dp/1449330290/ref=rec_dp_2/189-4266067-2613848

You can read the Kindle edition on your Mac, which is very convenient when learning about a new computer and operating system. Pogue uses both Macs and PCs and he details the operational differences between them. He also offers advice about how to transfer files, etc.

I've used Macs since 1995 and I buy a new edition of the operating system-specific Missing Manual whenever the OS is updated.

Gustavo Politano
New MemberPosts: 12Gear list
Like?
In reply to Timothy Hans, Mar 25, 2013

Go for it, mate!

I got one last year and the crispness of the screen is amazing! I can't go back. I do enjoy the OS, but it has its perks. Finder is shitty comparer to Explorer, but overall it's a very pleasant experience.

Gustavo Politano's gear list:Gustavo Politano's gear list
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8
JulesJ
Forum ProPosts: 32,373
Like?
In reply to Timothy Hans, Mar 25, 2013

Timothy Hans wrote:

I'm debating purchasing a macbook pro with retina display to replace my sony vaio hd for work with lightroom 4 - is it worth the extra $$ for an apple product?

Yes.

Jacques Cornell
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,512Gear list
Like?
Resale value
In reply to Timothy Hans, Mar 26, 2013

One thing many penny-pinchers overlook is that Macs hold their value very well. Whereas a 5-year-old PC is basically landfill, a 5-year-old Mac can often be sold for decent money. I paid $2000 for a MBP in 2007, put in about $300 worth of RAM and SSD upgrades over time, and sold it five years later for $800. So, I paid $300/year for use of a top-notch computer that served me well right up until I replaced it with something faster.

-- hide signature --

'No matter where you go, there you are.'

Jacques Cornell's gear list:Jacques Cornell's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 +33 more
MrMojo
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,215
Like?
Gotcha Beat!
In reply to Jacques Cornell, Mar 26, 2013

Majikthize wrote:

One thing many penny-pinchers overlook is that Macs hold their value very well. Whereas a 5-year-old PC is basically landfill, a 5-year-old Mac can often be sold for decent money. I paid $2000 for a MBP in 2007, put in about $300 worth of RAM and SSD upgrades over time, and sold it five years later for $800. So, I paid $300/year for use of a top-notch computer that served me well right up until I replaced it with something faster.

2006 24" iMac purchased as a new discounted previous generation from the University of Oregon Bookstore cost me $120/year for five years. I recently sold it for $250. The optical drive was kaput so I discounted it; the iMac was sold within a few hours of posting it on CraigsList.

Whereas I used to routinely keep my Macs until they were worth little or nothing on the used market, I now update my Macs when the resale value vs. purchase price pencils-out for me. I would have sold the iMac earlier but I had to wait for the release of the 2012 Mac Minis. (I also took my time getting it ready to sell after I got a Mini...)

Dan_168
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,765
Like?
In reply to Timothy Hans, Apr 5, 2013

Timothy Hans wrote:

I do not own Sony computer but I do have a 2012 model MacBook pro 15 inch with Ratina, coming from a Lenovo ThinkPad W510 and Dell, I would probably never go back to PC (both laptop and desktop), on paper my two PC laptop are not much behind the MacBook, actually my Dell even has more memory and both with same generation/spec i5 CPU, but the Macbook in real world runs so much better with LR4, and on top of processing speed, it hasn't crashed even once since last August when I first picked it up, these day I don't even bother to turn it off, just close the lid and let it go to sleep and next day just flip it up and it will go wake up right away, and I would be really happy if I only need to force quit hard reboot my Lenovo less than once a month.

With that being said, I think that MBP Ratina worth every penny, not to mention how much more smoother that is when playing HD video files from my D800 and 5D2 files on the MBP. And I replaced my Lenovo desktop in Jan with the new 2013 iMac 27' and loaded up with 32GB RAM and 2GB video RAM and it works great too. I didn't miss my PC for a second, I also like the Mac OS a lot better than Windows, much simpler and easier to work with, all the magic mouse and magic pad stuffs makes it so much faster to work with, now I am just waiting for the new generation 27 inch Anti-Glare stand alone Apple monitor to come out so I can go back to the dual monitor set up, kind of painful to work with just one after so used to 2 and 3 monitors, I have been using 2 at home and 3 at work.

Tom_N
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,745
Like?
In reply to Dan_168, Apr 6, 2013

Dan_168 wrote:

With that being said, I think that MBP Ratina worth every penny, not to mention how much more smoother that is when playing HD video files from my D800 and 5D2 files on the MBP. And I replaced my Lenovo desktop in Jan with the new 2013 iMac 27' and loaded up with 32GB RAM and 2GB video RAM and it works great too. I didn't miss my PC for a second, I also like the Mac OS a lot better than Windows, much simpler and easier to work with, all the magic mouse and magic pad stuffs makes it so much faster to work with, now I am just waiting for the new generation 27 inch Anti-Glare stand alone Apple monitor to come out so I can go back to the dual monitor set up, kind of painful to work with just one after so used to 2 and 3 monitors, I have been using 2 at home and 3 at work.

You can use the 27" iMac as a "dumb monitor" for the Retina MBP.  You need a Thunderbolt cable (not a MiniDisplayPort one) to use a 2012 iMac in this way.  I think that Command + F2 is the key combination to type on the "dumb monitor" machine to enter and exit the mode.

Thunderbolt ports and displays: Frequently asked questions (FAQ)

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads