How bout printing our great pics?

Started Mar 19, 2013 | Discussions
danelmix
Regular MemberPosts: 362Gear list
Like?
How bout printing our great pics?
Mar 19, 2013

All this talk about lenses and all. What do you guys use to print your pics?

danelmix's gear list:danelmix's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM
Carlgo
Contributing MemberPosts: 532
Like?
Re: How bout printing our great pics?
In reply to danelmix, Mar 19, 2013

After years of home printing, I just got tired of the nerdiness factor, the stupid ink thing and trying to afford a decent printer in the first place. Snapshots at home are fine, but anything I think is good I now send out. I have been using Aperture printing services because it is convenient and they have been good. Of course there are other good services as well.

The commercial printing services use printers that cost as much as a house, have every size and type of paper and foil, etc in stock and they can print up various kinds of albums as well, a good way to save your work or to present it.

All for a few bucks, in a few days. No way to beat that unless you really are a printer and will invest in high-end equipment yourself, want to stock all the mediums and inks and are really into the workflow and settings...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
zackiedawg
Forum ProPosts: 21,048Gear list
Like?

I print from a variety of sources, depending on need and timing.

I agree with the poster above on home printing - I still do occasionally just for the convenience and immediacy, but it just doesn't seem to prove cost effective in the long run, with the paper and ink costs - especially compared to the prices you can get at commercial print shops.

I do occasional 'quickie' prints for friends, relatives, etc, such as 4x6 stuff and other small prints, at Costco.  Easy, fast - prints while I'm shopping.

I've done some small to medium printing with Shutterfly, because I've had a free account there for years, and they occasionally send promotions and freebies for prints - I usually stick to 8x10, 5x7, or 4x6 with them.

When I need an archival type print, or making larger prints for sale to clients or buyers, I use Mpix.com.  They have very high quality paper options, can print nice, large prints with high quality, and can work various borders, print mediums, etc.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +24 more
daddyman
Regular MemberPosts: 133Gear list
Like?
In reply to Carlgo, Mar 19, 2013

I agree completely, I no longer print my own images. I have used AdoramaPix for 2 years now and have been completely satisfied with their work.

Mike

daddyman's gear list:daddyman's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +1 more
BennyKingston
Regular MemberPosts: 165
Like?

Good thread.

Just wondering how it is to send large files to the printer of choice?

Being relatively new to digital it is one of the things I would like to know. I have an old HP 895Cse (great photo quality) which takes the large ink cartridges, which are going to be obsolete soon enough. Also I can only print 8 x 10.

If I want to send out for 11 x 14's for my best work, do they expect finished files, do they adjust anything, or do they just print as sent......

How big are the files you guys send to the printer?

edwardaneal
Senior MemberPosts: 9,101Gear list
Like?
In reply to zackiedawg, Mar 19, 2013

like the other reply's I dont really print at home much any more. If I need 4x6 for family or friends I get them printed at the local Walgreen store around the corner from my house and for larger prints that I want to frame I print them through my Smugmug account - their quality is excellent and the prices are very reasonable

-- hide signature --

NEX-7 & Sigma 30mm f/2.8
NEX-5 & 18-55 OSS
HVL-F20AM Flash
And a spare black 18-55

edwardaneal's gear list:edwardaneal's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
pako
Senior MemberPosts: 1,539Gear list
Like?
In reply to daddyman, Mar 19, 2013

daddyman wrote:

I agree completely, I no longer print my own images. I have used AdoramaPix for 2 years now and have been completely satisfied with their work.

Mike

+1

And I love to do PhotoBooks!

-- hide signature --

Pako Dominguez
-----------------------
www.phototeka.net

pako's gear list:pako's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R Sony DT 16-105mm F3.5-5.6 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +18 more
Ed B
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,791
Like?

danelmix wrote:

I'm about like everyone else who has responded.

I have an excellent Epson photo printer but hardly ever use it anymore.

Ink costs are ridiculous, good paper is expensive and I'm surprised the inkjet printer industry is still in business.

A good printer is a convenience but ink is one of the more expensive liquids you can buy.

zackiedawg
Forum ProPosts: 21,048Gear list
Like?
In reply to BennyKingston, Mar 19, 2013

BennyKingston wrote:

Good thread.

Just wondering how it is to send large files to the printer of choice?

Being relatively new to digital it is one of the things I would like to know. I have an old HP 895Cse (great photo quality) which takes the large ink cartridges, which are going to be obsolete soon enough. Also I can only print 8 x 10.

If I want to send out for 11 x 14's for my best work, do they expect finished files, do they adjust anything, or do they just print as sent......

How big are the files you guys send to the printer?

Most printers online allow you to choose whether to leave the original file alone, as it's been sent, or 'optimize' or adjust it how they see fit.  It's not too different from prints in film days, when you took film to a printer and had to tell them if you wanted no corrections applied.   Just make sure you know what you're doing, and have a monitor and printer that are well calibrated, if you're choosing to leave the file as sent!

File size varies greatly depending on how much crop and such - when making my larger prints, I'll typically send nearly uncompressed JPGs (set to minimal compression and highest quality) and will typically be in the 6-8MB range on 16MP photos.  This is usually larger than JPGs straight from the camera, which will typically be in the 3-5MB range.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +24 more
John Romas
Junior MemberPosts: 49
Like?

I have an old Canon Selphy CP720 dye-sublimation printer at home for quick/easy printing in small numbers. When I want to print a large number of pictures (for albums, etc) I use a commercial service.

Regarding the Selphy I do have some troubles with color management and it's quite hard to get a bright picture on paper as is on screen, but I get it right eventually.

FumbleDuck
Forum MemberPosts: 83
Like?
In reply to John Romas, Mar 19, 2013

Print fairly regularly on an Epson R3880 (A2). Quality is outstanding but I'm beginning to tire of the "hassle". I've sold many framed prints using the printer but printing, mount cutting and framing is getting a little tiring and my back is complaining too.

Thinking of ebaying it but will probably tackle that logistical nightmare in a few months time.

I love fine art printing but to be honest if I'm in it to make some cash, it seems canvases (large as in 4x3 feet) just fly off the wall but the framed prints take a little longer so I will probably go all canvas later this year.

dark13star
Contributing MemberPosts: 945Gear list
Like?

I send out snapshots, but all fine art prints are printed, matted, and framed at home.

I use an Epson 2400 and use matte paper (and therefore matte black ink) almost exclusively. I've got a color corrected workflow from monitor to printer to paper. I just don't have the confidence to send things out for this work since I usually print several smaller proofs and tweak settings before I get what I want and print on rag or fine art paper.

dark13star's gear list:dark13star's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D600 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 +10 more
BennyKingston
Regular MemberPosts: 165
Like?
In reply to zackiedawg, Mar 19, 2013

Thanks for that info.

FuzzyQball
Senior MemberPosts: 1,328Gear list
Like?

I only print for hanging on the wall.  I have had trouble with poor cropping etc.  I think if you find someone that works well for your pics, I would stay with them.  What you see onscreen vs. what you get on paper can vary so much!  I suppose that is why some people like to print themselves once they get everything calibrated.

-- hide signature --

Glenn

FuzzyQball's gear list:FuzzyQball's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS
Mel Snyder
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,358Gear list
Like?

danelmix wrote:

I use www.myphotopipe.com - great quality. I usually make 16x24 prints to avoid cropping the APS-C image. They offer a WIDE range of quality and surfaces as very reasonable cost, with regular sales (not as bad a Joseph S. Banks, but frequent).

I have walls full of their prints, and in the very few times I was unhappy with their work, they immediately reprinted and shipped replacements free.

Mel

Mel Snyder's gear list:Mel Snyder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 +13 more
moonshoes
Junior MemberPosts: 31
Like?

I just got a bunch of 4x6 prints from Shutterfly.com for like .04 a print. They are pretty good quality. A friend has a few photobooks done by them that are excellent.

Anyone have recommendations for getting a panorama print?

silvrmn
Regular MemberPosts: 204Gear list
Like?
In reply to moonshoes, Mar 19, 2013

I like Winkflash.com for posters on white fomecore.  No framing to mess with.  Display them on a narrow ledge.  Replace/rearrange as mood dictates.

silvrmn's gear list:silvrmn's gear list
RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA +1 more
Michael Everett
Senior MemberPosts: 1,663
Like?
In reply to silvrmn, Mar 20, 2013

I send everything out for printing beyond 4x6 snapshots.  The issue I have is with matting and framing.  I often crop my photographs so they are not precisely the standard sizes, which requires custom matting.  Are there any places that will custom mat a photograph without charging an arm and a leg.

Canvas prints:  I have seen many and they look good, but how good are they for BW images?  Anyone doing that?

Michael

Richie Beans
Regular MemberPosts: 225Gear list
Like?
In reply to silvrmn, Mar 20, 2013

After years of Epson photoquality printers, I bagged the at-home thing when I saw Costco prints. However, I too, need to find a  place that produces good quality poster-sized prints.

Richie Beans's gear list:Richie Beans's gear list
NEX5R +1 more
Richie Beans
Regular MemberPosts: 225Gear list
Like?
In reply to Michael Everett, Mar 20, 2013

Do yourself a HUGE favor and cut your own mats. It's not that hard and it's far cheaper. Decent mats can be had in standard hobby shops.

Richie Beans's gear list:Richie Beans's gear list
NEX5R +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads