A Cautionary tale for anyone Using Warranty Service from Olympus USA

Started Mar 19, 2013 | Discussions
Skeeterbytes
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,579
Like?
Re: A Cautionary tale for anyone Using Warranty Service from Olympus USA
In reply to kgwhite, Mar 19, 2013

Only time I even have to sign for a package is wine shipments (must be signed by somebody 21 or over). Everything else gets dropped on the front porch w/o a signature. I think it costs the shipper an added charge to require a sig.

Cheers,

Rick

-- hide signature --

"Whiskey is for drinking, digicams are for fighting over."
—Mark Twain

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
kgwhite
Senior MemberPosts: 1,336Gear list
Like?
All is well that ends well.

I just received a call from Olympus concerning the camera body. They are sending me out a replacement body immediately. They asked me to ship the damaged body back to them along with the packaging prepaid through the UPS Store. That is the best possible outcome as far as I am concerned.

I really appreciate the way Olympus USA handled the situation. They could not have been more understanding or forthright in responding and providing a replacement camera.

I can breath easier now.

Gregm61
Forum ProPosts: 13,418Gear list
Like?
Re: Most depressing set of images yet...
In reply to Skeeterbytes, Mar 19, 2013

Skeeterbytes wrote:

Believe it or not, I've sent items for repair in their original packaging only to have the packaging discarded before the item was returned. Don't know whether Oly would do this, but wanted to share the experience.

I don't doubt this at all, but I have had to send a 12-60 SWD Zuiko in for servicing and sent an E1 back to have loose body covering replaced and the camera serviced. Both times I sent the item in using the original boxes and received both back in the same boxes, so it can happen right too.

-- hide signature --

"There's shadows in life, baby.." Jack Horner- Boogie Nights

Gregm61's gear list:Gregm61's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 +10 more
rrr_hhh
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,895Gear list
Like?
Re: All is well that ends well.

kgwhite wrote:

I just received a call from Olympus concerning the camera body. They are sending me out a replacement body immediately. They asked me to ship the damaged body back to them along with the packaging prepaid through the UPS Store. That is the best possible outcome as far as I am concerned.

I really appreciate the way Olympus USA handled the situation. They could not have been more understanding or forthright in responding and providing a replacement camera.

I can breath easier now.

I'm glad of this happy ending for you. This is good news for you first, but also for all of the Olympus users.

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

rrr_hhh's gear list:rrr_hhh's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM +18 more
kgwhite
Like?
In reply to rrr_hhh, Mar 19, 2013

Mine never cracked. It just failed to show anything on the screen. I suspect the ribbon cable on the back of the panel may have been loose or faulty.

Ron Evers
Contributing MemberPosts: 941Gear list
Like?
In reply to Skeeterbytes, Mar 19, 2013

UPS left a $1200 camera package on our BBQ under the carport.

-- hide signature --

The wood is clear between the knots.

Ron Evers's gear list:Ron Evers's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +10 more
kgwhite
Like?
In reply to rrr_hhh, Mar 19, 2013

Yes I agree they did the right thing in a most timely manner.

daymon
Forum MemberPosts: 77Gear list
Like?

Wow, finally someone might be able to see the sensor maker!! Sorry I couldn't resist...

In the end, it's all for the best, now you will get a new shiny OM-D. I hope you don't have to wait too long for it.

daymon's gear list:daymon's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +6 more
Skeeterbytes
Like?
In reply to Ron Evers, Mar 19, 2013

Ron Evers wrote:

UPS left a $1200 camera package on our BBQ under the carport.

-- hide signature --

The wood is clear between the knots.

Hah! Hope you weren't smoking some ribs at the time.

Cheers,

Rick

-- hide signature --

—Mark Twain

Skeeterbytes
Like?

Whew.

Everybody messes up from time to time, it's how they clean up their mess that tells the tale.

Cheers,

Rick

-- hide signature --

—Mark Twain

Vlad S
Senior MemberPosts: 3,029Gear list
Like?
You are behind the curve
In reply to daymon, Mar 19, 2013

daymon wrote:

Wow, finally someone might be able to see the sensor maker!! Sorry I couldn't resist...

In the end, it's all for the best, now you will get a new shiny OM-D. I hope you don't have to wait too long for it.

We've seen it already a month ago:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50885809

Vlad S's gear list:Vlad S's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +2 more
billbourd
Regular MemberPosts: 459Gear list
Like?

kgwhite wrote:

I just received a call from Olympus concerning the camera body. They are sending me out a replacement body immediately. They asked me to ship the damaged body back to them along with the packaging prepaid through the UPS Store. That is the best possible outcome as far as I am concerned.

I can breath easier now.

I certainly hope they send you a new one and not one that has been refurbished.

billbourd's gear list:billbourd's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +2 more
hidefguy
New MemberPosts: 16
Like?
In reply to billbourd, Mar 19, 2013

Wow good to know, in the meantime I also got my em5 back from service, I asked my wife to listen for the doorbell because it will be delivered today.  She went out and the package was on the front doorstep!  Hopefully it's in good shape:)

plevyadophy
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,250Gear list
Like?
OMG!!! Re: A Cautionary tale for anyone Using Warranty Service from Olympus USA
In reply to kgwhite, Mar 20, 2013

I just got my E-M5 body back from warranty service. The LCD panel is shattered and the camera top plate is broken and no longer attached to the rest of the camera body. The packaging is severely damaged and was taped back together some time during shipping. The camera was packaged in a single layer of bubble wrap surrounded by crumpled brown paper. Not much protection for a high dollar camera body. It was not marked as fragile or as electronics or in any other way as to warn of the need for careful handling.

Between poor shipping by UPS and poor packaging by Olympus service my camera body was destroyed. There is no indication that the package was even insured for shipping. Hopefully Olympus will make this right but the point here is that they did an inadequate job in the first place. I hope they see this posting. I will certainly send them pictures and my thoughts on the matter as well. Fortunately my E-P2 continues to function faithfully.

This is bad business folks.

That is unbelievable, I am lost for words!!!

tramptime
New MemberPosts: 17Gear list
Like?
Re: OMG!!! Re: A Cautionary tale for anyone Using Warranty Service from Olympus USA
In reply to plevyadophy, Mar 20, 2013

This reminds me of the opening scene of the movie Ace Ventura Pet Detective... with Jim Carrey delivering a package. If you spot a postman with a swollen toe (or ridiculous haircut), you probably found the person who kicked your package to your house. Sorry about your camera though... hope they will replace it.

kgwhite
Like?
The Final Outcome

I have to say the response from Olympus has been extremely good. Within a few minutes of sending them an email with pictures a customer support person called to offer a new camera body. By the time I got to the UPS Store to ship back the remains of the old camera I got confirmation that they had shipped me a new one. That is real quality customer service. Had I been a professional services client I would have expected that level of performance but I'm just a consumer.

In the end I'll wait a couple of extra days to get new camera to replace one that is 10 months old with about 9,000 shutter actuations.

Thank you Olympus America.

CharlesTokyo
Contributing MemberPosts: 704Gear list
Like?
Beware Olympus repair? Come-on, really?

It could have been packaged better, but the OM-D is a sturdy camera. With the damge you've shown I don't think any reasonably packed camera would of survived. It would have taken a lot to cause that damage.  I have had several cameras shipped in hardly more than a bubble envelope and delivered without a scratch overseas. Not really suggesting anything, but I don't think Oly's packaging as negligence.

CharlesTokyo's gear list:CharlesTokyo's gear list
Ricoh GR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +22 more
illy
Forum ProPosts: 12,160Gear list
Like?
Re: The Final Outcome

I have to say the response from Olympus has been extremely good. Within a few minutes of sending them an email with pictures a customer support person called to offer a new camera body. By the time I got to the UPS Store to ship back the remains of the old camera I got confirmation that they had shipped me a new one. That is real quality customer service. Had I been a professional services client I would have expected that level of performance but I'm just a consumer.

In the end I'll wait a couple of extra days to get new camera to replace one that is 10 months old with about 9,000 shutter actuations.

Thank you Olympus America.

That's great customer service from Oly, I have no doubts that they will be putting in a claim with the carrier.

-- hide signature --

The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.

illy's gear list:illy's gear list
Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +4 more
kgwhite
Like?
Re: Beware Olympus repair? Come-on, really?
In reply to CharlesTokyo, Mar 20, 2013

It could have been packaged better, but the OM-D is a sturdy camera. With the damge you've shown I don't think any reasonably packed camera would of survived. It would have taken a lot to cause that damage. I have had several cameras shipped in hardly more than a bubble envelope and delivered without a scratch overseas. Not really suggesting anything, but I don't think Oly's packaging as negligence.

I appreciate your experience. You can expect lesser handling with your property if you wish. I expect that when someone is the custodian of my property they will make every reasonable effort to keep it safe. Packing a $900.00 + camera body in a single layer of bubble wrap surrounded by crumpled brown paper doesn't make the grade in my opinion. That is about economy not custodial care.

Whether the camera was damaged due to poor handling (it was) or poor packaging (a contributing factor) does not excuse a lack of care on the part of the shipper. There are many  safe and secure packaging materials besides crumpled brown paper that could have been used that are no more expensive.

Eamon Hickey
Senior MemberPosts: 2,979
Like?
it's just business math

It could have been packaged better, but the OM-D is a sturdy camera. With the damge you've shown I don't think any reasonably packed camera would of survived. It would have taken a lot to cause that damage. I have had several cameras shipped in hardly more than a bubble envelope and delivered without a scratch overseas. Not really suggesting anything, but I don't think Oly's packaging as negligence.

I appreciate your experience. You can expect lesser handling with your property if you wish. I expect that when someone is the custodian of my property they will make every reasonable effort to keep it safe. Packing a $900.00 + camera body in a single layer of bubble wrap surrounded by crumpled brown paper doesn't make the grade in my opinion. That is about economy not custodial care.

Not meaning to sound like a noodge here, but everything any for-profit corporation does is about economics, not about custodianship or anything else.

Olympus is simply balancing the cost of packaging and shipping against the cost (monetary and reputational) of replacing damaged cameras -- I'm sure they know exactly what they're doing. They do, after all, ship thousands of optical items every day, all over the world. Nobody on this thread has 1/1000th the experience that they do on that particular issue.

Same for UPS -- there can be absolutely no question that UPS has done meticulous analysis of the costs of using systems that sometimes damage or lose goods (i.e. their warehouse machinery, handling practices, policies of leaving boxes on doorsteps without getting signatures etc.) versus the cost of paying for those damaged or lost goods. Accidents happen; always have, always will. Nobody got hurt in this accident (that we know of). Only a hunk of metal and plastic suffered.

As long as both companies are willing to accept their responsibility when one of their practices results in a damaged item, I don't see a problem. In this case, Olympus behaved impeccably.

A camera is a mass-produced mechanical object, made, in most, cases, by the tens or hundreds of thousands of identical units. They are completely interchangeable and replaceable, with no inherent dignity or value beyond their utility. Nobody knows this better than the companies who make them. If you can save 1% on the cost side of your ledger -- and aren't running any significant risk to your reputation -- by using cheaper packaging materials and replacing the resulting damaged cameras, you do it. It's just business.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads