Anyone here left mirrorless for DSLR?

Started Mar 19, 2013 | Discussions
Dan_168
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,766
Like?
Re: Anyone here left mirrorless for DSLR?
In reply to hellocrowley, Mar 21, 2013

I have both DSLR and mirrorless, 1DS3, 1DS2, 1D2 and D800E on DSLR side and NEX 7 and GF2 on the mirrorless side, I just can't get used to the little mirrorless camera body, I tried, but just can't do it, so they are mostly either ended up in my girl friend's bag or staying home, I am just not a fan of small camera, even for the D800E and the 5D2 before, I have to add a vertical grip to it to make them a little more comfortable to work with, also I don't see any mirrorless has the same sensor quality as the FF DSLR, I just don't see how people say the mirrorless give them the same image quality, at least I am not getting that same level of result from playing with friend's X-Pro1 many times, and my own NEX 7 with Zeiss lens, even I mount my TSE and Zeiss on my NEX 7 and I am not getting the same quality as my 1DS3 and D800E, which I didn't expected to anyway, also played with my friend's Canon mirrorless, and a few Olympus as well, so I just can't get too excite about them, actually almost of my friends who own the decent mirrorless systems use it as back up, second or third camera, none of them use them as their main camera, but again most of these guys are pro or at least semi-pro shooters, and all my "not so serious" friends all consider a $1200-$1700 camera body like the NEX7 and X pro 1 way too expensive and all stick to the point and shoot.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DeFinitive
Regular MemberPosts: 270
Like?

I started out with a 550D a few years ago and I've acquired a few lenses since then including a couple of L lenses. I remember one trip to Singapore, walking around with camera and most of my lenses in a 7 Million Dollar Home bag in 35degC heat, what a day! Since then I began to travel lighter with usually only one lens which worked out fine.

Last year I purchased an Olympus OM-D E-M5 and have really been enjoying using it, especially when travelling, I didn't get the kit lens, I started with the 45 f1.8 and have since added the 17 f1.8, the E-M5 & 45mm lens take some fantastic shots.

I still use both systems but have always wanted a FF DSLR, especially since it will give me a Micro Adjust feature which I need for my 35L. I considered the 5DIII but I don't need that, fantastic camera but much more than I need so I have been seriously considering the 6D, great size, IQ and low light performance.

So in a nutshell, I love using the m43 but I also want to add a FF DSLR and that should make extremely happy, I won't part with the E-M5 and my wife will probably end up using the 550D.

thomas2279f
Senior MemberPosts: 2,394Gear list
Like?

No added the Mirrorless M/43 & Nex to my DSLR for travel and leisure shots - slightly poorer quality compared to DSLR and poor battery life - use my DSLR mostly

thomas2279f's gear list:thomas2279f's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D7000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 +44 more
WT21
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,626Gear list
Like?
In reply to DeFinitive, Mar 22, 2013

DeFinitive wrote:

I started out with a 550D a few years ago and I've acquired a few lenses since then including a couple of L lenses. I remember one trip to Singapore, walking around with camera and most of my lenses in a 7 Million Dollar Home bag in 35degC heat, what a day! Since then I began to travel lighter with usually only one lens which worked out fine.

Last year I purchased an Olympus OM-D E-M5 and have really been enjoying using it, especially when travelling, I didn't get the kit lens, I started with the 45 f1.8 and have since added the 17 f1.8, the E-M5 & 45mm lens take some fantastic shots.

I still use both systems but have always wanted a FF DSLR, especially since it will give me a Micro Adjust feature which I need for my 35L. I considered the 5DIII but I don't need that, fantastic camera but much more than I need so I have been seriously considering the 6D, great size, IQ and low light performance.

So in a nutshell, I love using the m43 but I also want to add a FF DSLR and that should make extremely happy, I won't part with the E-M5 and my wife will probably end up using the 550D.

On the 6D, I'll give you some quick advice -- DO IT! Buy it. GREAT camera.

WT21's gear list:WT21's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha NEX-6 +1 more
ASR45
Forum ProPosts: 32,186Gear list
Like?
In reply to hellocrowley, Mar 22, 2013

You would not be disappointed with the 6D, i had many fujis nice but the high iso of the canon 6d rocks.  

-- hide signature --

Alan.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
Mark Twain

ASR45's gear list:ASR45's gear list
Canon PowerShot G16 Canon PowerShot G12 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5 II +8 more
Picturenaut
Regular MemberPosts: 323Gear list
Like?

If you can live with a fixed wide angle lens then the combo Fuji X100S + 6D makes definitely sense.

Otherwise, if you stick with Canon's system, it may be smart to wait which mirrorless models they gonna throw into the market in the next 1, 2 years. The EOS M calls for follow-up models with  improved AF performance asap, and according to canonrumours there may come a first EVF mirrorless later this year (but that's not for sure, of course). Canon can't much longer ignore this growing market if they do not want to lose a substantial share in future.

-- hide signature --

Picturenaut

Picturenaut's gear list:Picturenaut's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +12 more
mjack101
Regular MemberPosts: 108
Like?

Couple of thoughts. As many people have said having both systems (money no object) is the way to go. I have the 5diii and the xe1 and use them in different ways.

1. Size, both weight/physical dimensions as well as appearance to other people (threatening v non-threatening, tourist v pro etc) is the main factor.

2. AF speed, for sports it's the 5diii every time.

3. Flash then the ease of the ETTL and controlling off camera strobes would be 5diii. As you say the flashes and triggers for canon cover all the bases.

There are probably many other criteria but I rarely spend much time deciding between them, it's normally obvious to me which i will enjoy using more in the given circumstances.

One thing I rarely debate in my mind between the cameras is IQ. The xe1 is pretty good and there will be few situations where the 5diii beats it at a noticeable level. In fact given your lens choices I would be interested on views as to which of the xpro1 with 35mm f1.4 or 6d with the 50mm f1.8 combos would work out best for IQ. Think it would be close but I suspect that the fuji combo might just sneak it.

I like the fuji colours too but find the canon colours are pretty good too. A little tweaking in LR4 and both work just fine.

If you can only have one system then the 6d would be my vote.

hellocrowley
Senior MemberPosts: 1,169
Like?
In reply to mjack101, Mar 22, 2013

The only way I can justify keeping 2 systems is to get a 5D classic. Which is not a bad idea since I intend to use the FF in good light and/or with flashes.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads