Fuji HS50EXR USB Multi-Connector BE AWARE!!!

Started Mar 19, 2013 | Discussions
BoeingPilot
Junior MemberPosts: 39
Like?
Fuji HS50EXR USB Multi-Connector BE AWARE!!!
Mar 19, 2013

Be advised that the USB port on the HS50EXR is not standard. Standard micro USB cable will not fit. I ordered the RR-80 remote shutter and will not fit even though Amazon's description says it will. No one in the USA has the Remote (RR-80A) available. Another letdown from Fuji's marketing people. I pre-ordered the wireless remote and it too will not fit. I'll have to toss that one in the trash as I bought it on eBay and not returnable.

jcmarfilph
Senior MemberPosts: 7,592Gear list
Like?
Re: Fuji HS50EXR USB Multi-Connector BE AWARE!!!
In reply to BoeingPilot, Mar 19, 2013

BoeingPilot wrote:

Be advised that the USB port on the HS50EXR is not standard. Standard micro USB cable will not fit. I ordered the RR-80 remote shutter and will not fit even though Amazon's description says it will. No one in the USA has the Remote (RR-80A) available. Another letdown from Fuji's marketing people. I pre-ordered the wireless remote and it too will not fit. I'll have to toss that one in the trash as I bought it on eBay and not returnable.

Hmm interesting... can you post a side-by-side shot (showing size difference and or pinouts) of standard micro USB and the one from HS50?

Thanks

-=[ Joms ]=-

jcmarfilph's gear list:jcmarfilph's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tman1991
Contributing MemberPosts: 735Gear list
Like?
In reply to jcmarfilph, Mar 19, 2013

Remote ReleaseRemote Release RR-80A

CompatibilityFUJIFILM X-S1 / X-E1
FinePix HS50EXR / HS30EXR / HS33EXR / HS25EXR / HS28EXR / HS20EXR / HS22EXR / S205EXR / S200EXR / S100FS

Remote Release RR-80

CompatibilityFUJIFILM X-S1 / X-E1
FinePix HS30EXR / HS33EXR / HS25EXR / HS28EXR / HS20EXR / HS22EXR / S205EXR / S200EXR / S100FS

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/accessories/others/
Thats really odd..   I guess my RR-80 wont work from my 30? 
Amazon still not shipping..
 tman1991's gear list:tman1991's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +5 more
MitchyK7
Regular MemberPosts: 131
Like?
In reply to tman1991, Mar 19, 2013

You think it's bad now? How about if i tell you that RR80A is just the normal RR80 with an adaptor, specially wired for Fuji's deliberate miswiring of the terminal, and even worse, they won't sell the adaptor separately!

I get my remote releases and intervalometers from JJC, and i've spoken to them about this. They are currently waiting for an RR80A to turn up so they can figure out the connections to make a new range of accessories. I asked them specifically about an adaptor for existing gear, and they said they'll look at providing as many accessories as they can. So fingers crossed!

tman1991
Like?
In reply to MitchyK7, Mar 19, 2013

Why would they miswire it?  ugh.  The RR-80 is a nice release to have..

I've been toying between the HS50 and going dSLR with a Nikon 5200 and 18-300 lens..

What was Fuji thinking?

Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +5 more
MitchyK7
Like?
In reply to tman1991, Mar 19, 2013

They change the connector and rewire it so early adoptors will be stung for the extra gear at an exhorbitant cost. I reckon it costs about £3 to make those releases, it's basically a button on some wire. So to sell it for £30 is quite a mark up. They make sure you can only buy from them in the early days, and in the long run casual users won't know any better than to buy all the accessories on the fuji page. I know they're a company and want to make money. That's what they do, but sometimes they take the pee a little.

alexisgreat
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,306Gear list
Like?
Re: the reason why they do it

is the same reason they make expensive proprietary lithium batteries.  Thats why even if I get the new camera I will still also use the HS20 because it uses universal batteries.  Lithium batteries die within a couple years regardless of how they are used and are expensive to replace.

-- hide signature --

http://Alex_the_GREAT.photoshop.com

alexisgreat's gear list:alexisgreat's gear list
Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Olympus E-520 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +1 more
MitchyK7
Like?
In reply to alexisgreat, Mar 19, 2013

I buy cheap replacement batteries from a reseller i know. I've been working with them for years ever since i was using them through work. It's a tenner for their version of the battery, and Fuji charge 60 for theirs. It's not hard to do the maths.

alexisgreat
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,306Gear list
Like?

ah but how long do these batteries last? Im always worried about that

-- hide signature --

http://Alex_the_GREAT.photoshop.com

alexisgreat's gear list:alexisgreat's gear list
Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Olympus E-520 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +1 more
MitchyK7
Like?
In reply to alexisgreat, Mar 20, 2013

They last pretty well actually. Considering they are the same batteries. Fuji just have theirs branded, but they all come from the same factories in china!

Fulcanelli
Regular MemberPosts: 380
Like?
In reply to BoeingPilot, Mar 20, 2013

Why not put it back on eBay and retrieve some cash?

BoeingPilot
Junior MemberPosts: 39
Like?
In reply to Fulcanelli, Mar 20, 2013

I am seriously considering it. In fact B&H Photo allows a 30 day return. My main disappointment is image quality compared to my Canon SX50. I will miss real manual focusing and Focus Peaking. I also like the manual zoom (for still photos).

KJaay
Senior MemberPosts: 3,358Gear list
Like?
In reply to BoeingPilot, Mar 20, 2013

I am seriously considering it. In fact B&H Photo allows a 30 day return. My main disappointment is image quality compared to my Canon SX50. I will miss real manual focusing and Focus Peaking. I also like the manual zoom (for still photos).

What is it about IQ you don't like, and does the speed make up for it?

-- hide signature --

KJ

KJaay's gear list:KJaay's gear list
Canon PowerShot S3 IS Fujifilm X-S1 Canon EOS 450D
tman1991
Like?
In reply to KJaay, Mar 25, 2013

Anyone know how to get a RR-80A or a converter to make the RR-80 work?

haole
New MemberPosts: 4Gear list
Like?
In reply to tman1991, Apr 24, 2013
 haole's gear list:haole's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR
DickyAus
Contributing MemberPosts: 900Gear list
Like?
In reply to BoeingPilot, Apr 25, 2013

I too have an RR-80 which I used with my HS20 before it died. Rather than fork out for an RR-80A for my new HS50 I have ordered a USB cable (with a type C male end) from China (Alliexpress) for $4.50 (delivered) and will solder it into the RR-80. The remote only uses the two Black (ground) wires soldered to a common land on the PC board and the 5v Red wire. Neither data cable is in circuit. I'll let you know how it goes. The new cable is 1.5m long - a lot better than the original cable on the RR-80.

Tricky Dicky.

DickyAus's gear list:DickyAus's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
MitchyK7
Like?
In reply to DickyAus, Apr 26, 2013

Dicky i have pictures of the fuji adaptor internals from a tear down, if they'll help you?

I have several sockets and cases to make some adaptors, but mine are wired the opposite way to the one fuji uses, so i have to play with the soldering iron and play musical connectors! lol

KoolAcid
Junior MemberPosts: 35Gear list
Like?
In reply to MitchyK7, May 8, 2013

Looking at the pictures of the RR-80A all Fuji have done is use the newer micro USB connector on the HS50EXR. Using a standard USB adapter to change the mini USB of the RR-80 to a micro USB should work, I'm pretty sure it would leave Fuji open to all sorts of lawsuits to miss-wire a USB connector.

KoolAcid's gear list:KoolAcid's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads