Going Full Frame

Started Mar 19, 2013 | Discussions
BarcaFan
Forum MemberPosts: 68Gear list
Like?
Going Full Frame
Mar 19, 2013

Hi everyone,

I have been thinking of going full frame for some time now.  My main interest is landscape and not much else.  I have been trying to decide on what would be the best way to get into it.  I can't decide between the 6D and 5D3.  If i go the 6D i can use the savings towards better glass.  If i go 5D3 then it's a nicer body but does it have any advantages over the 6D for landscape photography?  Also, if i went with a 5D3 i may not get as high end glass (at least to start with).

What would you guys recommend in a situation like this.  Thanks ion advance for your input.

BarcaFan's gear list:BarcaFan's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM +1 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
billythek
Senior MemberPosts: 3,941Gear list
Like?
Re: Going Full Frame
In reply to BarcaFan, Mar 19, 2013

If your ONLY interest is landscape, then the 6D would probably be the  better choice.  You wouldn't need the AF of the 5D3.  Just be sure that you never intend to shoot moving subjects.  You can do that with the 6D, but not as well as you could with the 5D3.

-- hide signature --

- Bill

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Terribilino
Contributing MemberPosts: 607
Like?

Don't forget that the 6D has built in wifi, which lets you, among other things, set up and shoot while using an iphone (or ipad, or ipod) as a monitor.  (There's an android version too, I think.)  Don't know anything about it, and I don't shoot landscapes much, but many who do seemed excited about that particular function.

Then there's the integrated GPS of the 6D.  I'm not excited about that at all, but, again, many are.

Love my 6D so far, otherwise.  It's the right price, and the bundled 24-105 L is ridiculously cheap.

Have fun, whatever you choose.  Full frame is sweeeeeet.

ASR45
Forum ProPosts: 32,933Gear list
Like?
In reply to Terribilino, Mar 19, 2013

For the price, the 6D is excellent plus you have the money to invest in good glass like me.  

-- hide signature --

Alan.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
Mark Twain

ASR45's gear list:ASR45's gear list
Canon PowerShot G16 Canon PowerShot G12 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Mark II +3 more
SwedishGoose
Regular MemberPosts: 259
Like?

For landscape 6D with kit 24-105 f4 and 16-35 f2.8 would be great.

leroyvanhee
Senior MemberPosts: 1,823
Like?

I've only had my 6D for a couple days and I didn't think I'd use the GPS much but it's useful in telling someone where you were standing when you took this shot of the Olympic Mts:

Using the software provided by Canon, you can say Edmonds WA and here's a map:

digitalrock
Contributing MemberPosts: 520
Like?

I'm going 5D mkIII.  After wasting a lot of money on APS-C and EF-S lenses, I'm not skimping again.

Dumping all my EF-S (have almost all of them), and getting 5D mkIII.

Atoche
Contributing MemberPosts: 614Gear list
Like?

These features have not much to do with landscape - but the wheel, joystick and AF system would push me to the 5DMIII.  As a matter of fact I am seriously considering selling my 5DC and 7d to fund the 5dmIII.

i am not sure of the tech differences - but the 6D didn't feel as good I handling as the 5d to my hands....

-- hide signature --

"I may be a geek, but it pays for the car...!"

Atoche's gear list:Atoche's gear list
Pentax Optio WG-2 GPS Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 500D Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-3N +8 more
Keith Z Leonard
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,457Gear list
Like?

Purely for landscape the advantage would be what??? 2mp?  Doesn't seem like much, other than that I think the 6D would be fine here.  It's really a matter of features for anything else you might want to shoot.  For most purposes it's probably great.

Keith Z Leonard's gear list:Keith Z Leonard's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +13 more
mjack101
Regular MemberPosts: 108
Like?

I have the 5diii and love it but use it mostly for sport. For landscape I don't think there are any advantages over the 6d so I would get that and spend the difference on better glass. Also the wifi and gps should be nice to have as well.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads