Time is running out for Samsung, Sony, and other mirrorless camera makers

Started Mar 19, 2013 | Discussions
RedFox88
Forum ProPosts: 22,123Gear list
Like?
Re: Your response is funny...
In reply to jalywol, Mar 21, 2013

Want to try that again without using acronyms? Mirrorless/EVIL cameras need good light to focus in a timely manner, and accurately.

I'm not sure what mirrorless cameras you have used recently, but the current M43 are fast and very accurate even in low light. I just took the GH3 into an unlit room, and it instantly locked focus on some curtains at the far end of the room, no hunting, no bother.

When a camera/lens cannot find focus, it should default to focus at infinity. So it seemingly focusing on the curtains at the far end of the room is not unexpected!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RedFox88
Forum ProPosts: 22,123Gear list
Like?
Re: great news
In reply to Chez Wimpy, Mar 21, 2013
and I can't remember the last time somebody I was friends with got an actual DSLR. Maybe three years ago?

My main camera is 6 years old. Anyone I know personally into cameras don't buy them every year like new shoes unlike many users on here that are gadget junkies who gotta have every new thing out.

Tom Hoots
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,926
Like?
Mostly rubbish.
In reply to Sergey Borachev, Mar 21, 2013

If these "elephants" will supposedly just make money fall out of the sky like magic, why, oh why, has EVERY SINGLE THING THEY'VE DONE IN THE MIRRORLESS SEGMENT TO DATE BEEN SO LAME?

Nikon puts a tiny sensor into cameras that are BIGGER than cameras the other manufacturers are putting larger APS-C and micro 4/3 sensors into, and then they supply lenses that are JUST AS HEAVY as the lenses that cover those larger sensors.  Why??  Completely lame.

Canon makes the enormous, nearly-as-big-as-a-DSLR-body G1X with a number of insane compromises, such as the need to get into macro mode just to take a normal wide-angle shot.  Why??  Completely lame.

Then they make the EOS-M, and, yeah, with an adapter you can fit Canon's DSLR lenses onto it, but the camera is so small you have NOTHING TO HOLD ONTO, and especially no room to both hold onto it and change any settings at the same time.  Along with other problems such as settings that can only be changed on the touch screen.  Why??  Completely lame.

So far, nothing is reasonable, nothing appears to have been conceived with the tiniest amount of intelligence, and I can't even imagine why anyone would touch anything they've made so far, beyond some sort of fanboyism.  Perhaps they should consider concepts such as "proper hand grips," "smaller sensors in SMALLER bodies rather than larger ones," and so on.

The bottom line is that they HAVE entered the mirrorless market, and basically all they've really done is stunk up the place.  I have far less confidence than Thom that some day they'll wake up and figure out which end is up.

Tom Hoots
http://www.pbase.com/thoots
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/4330317199/albums

kodachromeguy
Contributing MemberPosts: 571Gear list
Like?
Re: Who is Thom?
In reply to reygon, Mar 21, 2013

It's purely speculation. DSLR is still and will still be big. Mirrorless is great for those who research and understand the system but for ordinary consumers the "Joe and Mary" it will be phone camera, P&S or DSLR.

I think you are right, at least for suburban USA.  Where I live, Joe and Mary think and buy Nikon or Canon.  You will see 10s of Rebels at an evening softball game.  And all will have the small aperture zoom kit lens.  Other brands simply don't enter their thought universe when they are camera shopping.

-- hide signature --

The Kodachromeguy

kodachromeguy's gear list:kodachromeguy's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1
jalywol
jalywol MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,427Gear list
Like?
In reply to RedFox88, Mar 21, 2013

Want to try that again without using acronyms? Mirrorless/EVIL cameras need good light to focus in a timely manner, and accurately.

I'm not sure what mirrorless cameras you have used recently, but the current M43 are fast and very accurate even in low light. I just took the GH3 into an unlit room, and it instantly locked focus on some curtains at the far end of the room, no hunting, no bother.

When a camera/lens cannot find focus, it should default to focus at infinity. So it seemingly focusing on the curtains at the far end of the room is not unexpected!

Very funny.  Zippy focus, on the curtains 8 ft away is hardly infinity.   In case you were wondering, I also focused on a cup on the nightstand, also about 8 ft away.  Same result.  Very fast, very accurate focus lock, even in an unlit room.

Sorry; you might want to update your information with some recent model experiences.....but maybe not; your choice.   Just trying to be helpful.

-J

s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,087Gear list
Like?

RedFox88 wrote:

PS - I think both the E-M5 and GH3 focus faster than many DSLRs in SAF/AFS

RedFox,

CDAF either focuses accurately, or do not focus at all. And in order to focus, CDAF needs contrast detail, in good light and poor light. You can check it trying to focus camera on plain painted wall in any light.

BTW, PDAF is no better.

-- hide signature --

Looking for equilibrium...

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
Monty71
New MemberPosts: 14
Like?
Re: Time is running out for Samsung, Sony, and other mirrorless camera makers

It seems that everyone likes to witness the "failures" of company's other than the one they use. Why is that? So...what would you do If Canon or Nikon do come out with a fabulous system that's "better" than yours. what if they said screw it and joined hands with Panasonic and Olympus and everyone lived in one big happy micro 4/3 sensor world. Would that satisfy everyone. Everyone would just move on to something else to try to make their decisions seems better. It's just the way humans are.

captura
Forum ProPosts: 15,726Gear list
Like?
Re: Time is running out for Samsung, Sony, and other mirrorless camera makers

... to establish a stronghold before the elephants come a trampling

This is from Thom Hogan's blog

http://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews/dancing-with-elephants.html

The big boys has made their preparation and may soon respond in a big way. First they discount heavily their lower end DSLR products and now it seems their secret mirrorless weapons are about ready.

Tom Hogan fails to really discuss the real news; the imminent explosion of FF compact cameras in the marketplace. And some of these new cameras will retain the the ability to offer dual-lens solutions. Sony FF+ e-mount hybrid. That was scheduled to be announced last week but wasn't for some unknown reason. Canon's had it since 2003 with EF/EFS hybrid cameras (the Digital Rebel 300D...they only needed to miniaturize. (Tom does mention the new EOS B.) The forthcoming Olympus 4/3 + m43 hybrid camera. The Panasonic m43/FF hybrid.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
gskolenda
Contributing MemberPosts: 891Gear list
Like?
Re: great news
and I can't remember the last time somebody I was friends with got an actual DSLR. Maybe three years ago?

My main camera is 6 years old. Anyone I know personally into cameras don't buy them every year like new shoes unlike many users on here that are gadget junkies who gotta have every new thing out.

Hey Chez, It's ok, we are perfectionist that are very good for the electronics economy!

I've been doing my part, But it's clear that you have not, 6 years? C'mon man, get with the program!

gskolenda's gear list:gskolenda's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8
gskolenda
Contributing MemberPosts: 891Gear list
Like?

RedFox88 wrote:

PS - I think both the E-M5 and GH3 focus faster than many DSLRs in SAF/AFS

Wrong again dpreview breath! GH3 kicks everyones butt!

gskolenda's gear list:gskolenda's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads