Nex-6, Nex-7, Fuji X100s, or Ex-1?

Started Mar 19, 2013 | Questions
aadoyle
Regular MemberPosts: 138
Like?
Nex-6, Nex-7, Fuji X100s, or Ex-1?
Mar 19, 2013

Looking to get a high quality compact camera.  Thinking primarily about shooting travel shots, city scapes, architecture, street scenes, and landscapes.  Also interested in doing some video but not vital.  Nex-7 was my initial goal but I am vacillating due to wide angle lens issues and soon to be released new model.  Nex-6 could be the better option. Also, the new Fuji x100s looks good too despite the fixed lens, how would that compare in overall IQ?  Are the Fuji's generally better overall for detail and IQ than the Nex series?  
I wanted to get a FF camera and had my mind set on the Nikon d600, yet with the issues I may not go down that road yet.  That is why I'm thinking of getting a compact camera first.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D600 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
lyricalmotion
Regular MemberPosts: 151Gear list
Like?
Re: Nex-6, Nex-7, Fuji X100s, or Ex-1?
In reply to aadoyle, Mar 19, 2013

well you are on nex forum so i would say the new nex 7 all the way. if u cant wait then get either used nex 7 or nex 6. nex 7 doesn't have that issues with sel 10-18.

-- hide signature --

lifesolyrical.tumblr.com

lyricalmotion's gear list:lyricalmotion's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
aadoyle
Regular MemberPosts: 138
Like?
In reply to lyricalmotion, Mar 19, 2013

lyricalmotion wrote:

well you are on nex forum so i would say the new nex 7 all the way. if u cant wait then get either used nex 7 or nex 6. nex 7 doesn't have that issues with sel 10-18.

-- hide signature --

lifesolyrical.tumblr.com

Thanks.. Although I would like some neutral unbiased opinions if possible regarding the Nex vs the Fuji from anyone who is familiar with the two brands.

Also, doesn't the Nex-7 suffer from issues with the 10-18?

lyricalmotion
Like?

never mind it still has that issue.. i thought it was fixed with the new firmware update. you could try sigma 19mm. or even the new sel20mm. If you want the highest IQ possible maybe X pro 1 is a better choice for you.

-- hide signature --

lifesolyrical.tumblr.com

lyricalmotion's gear list:lyricalmotion's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +3 more
captura
Forum ProPosts: 13,939Gear list
Like?

aadoyle wrote:

Looking to get a high quality compact camera. Thinking primarily about shooting travel shots, city scapes, architecture, street scenes, and landscapes. Also interested in doing some video but not vital. Nex-7 was my initial goal but I am vacillating due to wide angle lens issues and soon to be released new model. Nex-6 could be the better option. Also, the new Fuji x100s looks good too despite the fixed lens, how would that compare in overall IQ? Are the Fuji's generally better overall for detail and IQ than the Nex series?
I wanted to get a FF camera and had my mind set on the Nikon d600, yet with the issues I may not go down that road yet. That is why I'm thinking of getting a compact camera first.

The NEX7 is very problematic as you know. The NEX 6 and 5R are equals in most respects, one having a touchscreen and the other, an EVR. They are the latest successful technology winners. Can you wait for the new 20mm lens to get one of these?

For you to consider the Fuji x100s you must be willing to accept a camera with a fixed lens. The x100 was a fine camera and the s model is considered a big improvement. It may be the most mature camera and best-built with the best lens, of the bunch. My question...how fast is the x100s' AF?  (The xPro1 still having a few AF issues, or so I am led to believe.)

I own a Nex 3 and a 5R but in your case, maybe the x100s might be the better choice.

Good luck.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 7,037Gear list
Like?
In reply to captura, Mar 19, 2013

captura wrote:

aadoyle wrote:

Looking to get a high quality compact camera. Thinking primarily about shooting travel shots, city scapes, architecture, street scenes, and landscapes.

What are your most important criterias: image IQ, form factor, weight, price?

Also interested in doing some video but not vital. Nex-7 was my initial goal but I am vacillating due to wide angle lens issues and soon to be released new model. Nex-6 could be the better option. Also, the new Fuji x100s looks good too despite the fixed lens, how would that compare in overall IQ?

One way to think of these cameras is that they all have sufficient IQ. Extracting IQ depends on the lens, the photographer and the subject and lighting.

Are the Fuji's generally better overall for detail and IQ than the Nex series?

The XE-1 is rated between the Nex-6 and Nex-7 as to resolving details. The 'Fuji' color is often misunderstood and over-quoted, the Nex colors are just as good. This is mostly pertaining to OOC JPG results - the Nex defaults are subdued (but accurate).

I wanted to get a FF camera and had my mind set on the Nikon d600, yet with the issues I may not go down that road yet. That is why I'm thinking of getting a compact camera first.

You may never need the FF camera - other than DOF and low light capabilities, it comes with a hefty price tag and a bulky package.

The NEX7 is very problematic as you know. The NEX 6 and 5R are equals in most respects, one having a touchscreen and the other, an EVR. They are the latest successful technology winners. Can you wait for the new 20mm lens to get one of these?

For you to consider the Fuji x100s you must be willing to accept a camera with a fixed lens. The x100 was a fine camera and the s model is considered a big improvement. It may be the most mature camera and best-built with the best lens, of the bunch. My question...how fast is the x100s' AF? (The xPro1 still having a few AF issues, or so I am led to believe.)

I own a Nex 3 and a 5R but in your case, maybe the x100s might be the better choice.

Good luck.

For travel, the most compact choice is the Fuji X100s. But it is really not much more compact than the Nex-6/7 with the 20mm pancake lens - see camerasize 

When you compare the XE-1 with the 18mm lens, it is about as large as the Nex-6 with the 16-50 zoom lens.

Fuji XE1 with 18mm pancake versus Nex-6 with 16-50mm zoom

There are many reports comparing the two cameras - read e.g. Mike Kobals' report here

Essentially, if you are a serious hard-core, or aspiring, pro-amateur, the XE-1 gets the nod. But the Nex-6 (and 7) wins out for video, tilt screen, ease-of-use, and easier RAW flow.

But then again, when you add the Nex-7 to the mix, the outcome tilts again to the Nex-7, with its higher resolution. But the Nex-7 has two major flaws - the magenta shift for WA lenses, and the limited availability of super-sharp lenses (and photographer's skills) to extract the sensor IQ. The Nex-7N is expected to overcome some of these factors.

So, in terms of decisions, listed by increasing cost and IQ:

• X100s: small, simple, throw-in-the-bag and forget type of camera, but only one FOV which can get boring after a while
  • Nex-6: best-all around 16Mp of the group. If this IQ is sufficient, this is your camera.
  • XE-1: improves on Nex-6 IQ, but comes with higher cost, larger lenses, and loses video and tilt screen
  • Nex-7N: specs are still unsure, but will likely improve upon Nex-7. Nex-7 has highest IQ, but not always realizable. 

Consider your needs.

• If size matters, compare the X100s and Nex-6/7 with 20mm. 
  • If convenience matters, compare the XE1 with 18mm with the Nex-6/7 with the 16-50 zoom lens. (The XE1 with 18-55 zoom lens is larger than the Nex-6/7 with the original 18-550 kit lens.)
  • If ease of use matters, consider the X100s and the Nex-6 (both have PDAF). 
  • If price matters, the Nex-6 may be the way to go, unless the X100s satisfies your needs
  • If IQ matters, consider the XE-1 versus the Nex-7N.

Decide about a camera system as well. If you want to build a system with multiple lenses, consider which lenses and what budget you would feel comfortable with. The Fuji system will be significantly more pricey, and the Nex system is already quite pricey.

I would think that the Nex-6 would be good enough for more than good enough for most of your needs. If the remaining needs are important, then consider the XE-1 or the Nex-7. The X100s seems to be too limiting, based on your short description what you want to do with the camera.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +30 more
seachicken2000
Senior MemberPosts: 2,676Gear list
Like?

Hi, these are my thoughts (I own a NEX-7)...

Looking to get a high quality compact camera. Thinking primarily about shooting travel shots, city scapes, architecture, street scenes, and landscapes.

The Fuji system has a very nice kit zoom lens. I'd say this would be great for travel. The NEX kit lenses are decent, but a step down IMO, although (hopefully) a better lens will appear this year. A NEX+either kit zoom will be a lot more compact however, as the Fuji kit is large.

Sounds like you are also interested in the wide end of the focal length range. The NEX system has the 10-18mm (and so do I), and it's excellent (but expensive). The Fuji system will be getting something similar with more range, but it's not known how good it will be, and it will probably be a fair bit larger than the NEX lens which is only 225g.

Also interested in doing some video but not vital. Nex-7 was my initial goal but I am vacillating due to wide angle lens issues and soon to be released new model.

My experience is that the NEX-7 has horrible issues with the Samyang 8mm fisheye. It also has issues with the 10-18mm at wider apertures at the 10mm end of the range, but I pretty much always use it around its optimal aperture and don't really notice any problems. Both can be fixed with the Adobe flat field plug-in if necessary, but I would rather not have to.

According to SAR the NEX-7n is around the corner, and SAR seems reasonably accurate with its gossip. The NEX-7n looks set to be a bug-fixed NEX-7 with 1/2 a stop better performance, so if that's the camera for you I'd wait if you can.

-- hide signature --

"The only thing that gets in the way of a really good photograph, is the camera"
Norman Parkinson

seachicken2000's gear list:seachicken2000's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +17 more
Nikkorforever
Senior MemberPosts: 1,643
Like?

aadoyle wrote:

Looking to get a high quality compact camera. Thinking primarily about shooting travel shots, city scapes, architecture, street scenes, and landscapes. Also interested in doing some video but not vital. Nex-7 was my initial goal but I am vacillating due to wide angle lens issues and soon to be released new model. Nex-6 could be the better option. Also, the new Fuji x100s looks good too despite the fixed lens, how would that compare in overall IQ? Are the Fuji's generally better overall for detail and IQ than the Nex series?

Short answer: XE-1

A little background, I had the 5N and now the XE-1. The things I missed from the NEX is the tilt screen and to a lesser extent, the smaller size. Everything else I prefer the Fuji; menu system, controls, IQ, colors and the pretty retro camera looks doesn't hurt also. Yes from my experience the Fuji does produce a more pleasing image when you look at 100% view.

The X100s is like XE-1 is quite similar in operations, controls, IQ etc. The biggest difference is the X100s has that new hybrid AF system so it will be even better.

My personal view:

- buy the X100s now

- later on: Xe-2, 14 f/2.8 and 35 f/1.4

- forget fullframe and be happy

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Reza

Michael Everett
Senior MemberPosts: 1,717
Like?
In reply to Nikkorforever, Mar 19, 2013

As everyone says depends on what's most important.  For me absolute IQ mattered most, and I found it with the NEX-7 and legacy primes (Canon FDn and Zeiss).  That means MF, but I actually prefer it, and focus peaking makes a huge difference.

I would argue that the 7's IQ exceeds the Fuji Pro's at least at the lower ISO's.  At higher ISO's that doesn't seem to be the case, but the raw 7 files can take a lot of NR without losing detail.

BTW for a pocket camera don't forget the RX100.

Michael

cmc1
Like?

aadoyle wrote:

There is a NEX 6 Vs Fuji Ex-1 video on Youtube if youve have not already seen it. Both have plus and minus' but I can tell you i moved from a canon 60D to a NEX5R and I am really happy with it. Plus, do to it's size it gets used a whole lot more.

try this link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmwEQB0KM8U

cmc1's gear list:cmc1's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 +1 more
captura
Like?
In reply to blue_skies, Mar 19, 2013

blue_skies wrote:

captura wrote:

aadoyle wrote:

What are your most important criterias: image IQ, form factor, weight, price?

Also interested in doing some video but not vital. Nex-7 was my initial goal but I am vacillating due to wide angle lens issues and soon to be released new model. Nex-6 could be the better option. Also, the new Fuji x100s looks good too despite the fixed lens, how would that compare in overall IQ?

One way to think of these cameras is that they all have sufficient IQ. Extracting IQ depends on the lens, the photographer and the subject and lighting.

Are the Fuji's generally better overall for detail and IQ than the Nex series?

The XE-1 is rated between the Nex-6 and Nex-7 as to resolving details. The 'Fuji' color is often misunderstood and over-quoted, the Nex colors are just as good. This is mostly pertaining to OOC JPG results - the Nex defaults are subdued (but accurate).

You may never need the FF camera - other than DOF and low light capabilities, it comes with a hefty price tag and a bulky package.

For you to consider the Fuji x100s you must be willing to accept a camera with a fixed lens. The x100 was a fine camera and the s model is considered a big improvement. It may be the most mature camera and best-built with the best lens, of the bunch. My question...how fast is the x100s' AF? (The xPro1 still having a few AF issues, or so I am led to believe.)

Good luck.

For travel, the most compact choice is the Fuji X100s. But it is really not much more compact than the Nex-6/7 with the 20mm pancake lens - see camerasize 

When you compare the XE-1 with the 18mm lens, it is about as large as the Nex-6 with the 16-50 zoom lens.

Fuji XE1 with 18mm pancake versus Nex-6 with 16-50mm zoom

There are many reports comparing the two cameras - read e.g. Mike Kobals' report here

Essentially, if you are a serious hard-core, or aspiring, pro-amateur, the XE-1 gets the nod. But the Nex-6 (and 7) wins out for video, tilt screen, ease-of-use, and easier RAW flow.

But then again, when you add the Nex-7 to the mix, the outcome tilts again to the Nex-7, with its higher resolution. But the Nex-7 has two major flaws - the magenta shift for WA lenses, and the limited availability of super-sharp lenses (and photographer's skills) to extract the sensor IQ. The Nex-7N is expected to overcome some of these factors.

So, in terms of decisions, listed by increasing cost and IQ:

• X100s: small, simple, throw-in-the-bag and forget type of camera, but only one FOV which can get boring after a while
  • Nex-6: best-all around 16Mp of the group. If this IQ is sufficient, this is your camera.
  • XE-1: improves on Nex-6 IQ, but comes with higher cost, larger lenses, and loses video and tilt screen
  • Nex-7N: specs are still unsure, but will likely improve upon Nex-7. Nex-7 has highest IQ, but not always realizable.

Consider your needs.

• If size matters, compare the X100s and Nex-6/7 with 20mm.
  • If convenience matters, compare the XE1 with 18mm with the Nex-6/7 with the 16-50 zoom lens. (The XE1 with 18-55 zoom lens is larger than the Nex-6/7 with the original 18-550 kit lens.)
  • If ease of use matters, consider the X100s and the Nex-6 (both have PDAF).
  • If price matters, the Nex-6 may be the way to go, unless the X100s satisfies your needs
  • If IQ matters, consider the XE-1 versus the Nex-7N.

Decide about a camera system as well. If you want to build a system with multiple lenses, consider which lenses and what budget you would feel comfortable with. The Fuji system will be significantly more pricey, and the Nex system is already quite pricey.

I would think that the Nex-6 would be good enough for more than good enough for most of your needs. If the remaining needs are important, then consider the XE-1 or the Nex-7. The X100s seems to be too limiting, based on your short description what you want to do with the camera.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

Hi Henry,

Agreed, but it is the OP's choice and because he is apparently considering the X100s, I just wanted to present the case for THAT camera. Maybe a fixed lens is all he needs. Your comment, "For travel, the most compact choice is the Fuji X100s. But it is really not much more compact than the Nex-6/7 with the 20mm pancake lens... "  The photo actually shows that the NEX is the smaller camera. The 20mm e-lens is very small but maybe the OP will prefer the X100s' 35mm narrower field of view. The alternative small 16-50 lens is not in the same playing field. The Sigma 30 is fine, but a bit larger.

Thanks.

Steve

Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
captura
Like?
In reply to seachicken2000, Mar 19, 2013

seachicken2000 wrote:

Hi, these are my thoughts (I own a NEX-7)...

The Fuji system has a very nice kit zoom lens.

I believe the Fuji kit lens is immaterial in this discussion because the OP stated that he was interested in the Fuji X100s which is a fixed lens camera, (similar to the Sony XR1, only APSC instead of FF.)

captura
Like?
In reply to cmc1, Mar 19, 2013

cmc1 wrote:

aadoyle wrote:

There is a NEX 6 Vs Fuji Ex-1 video on Youtube if youve have not already seen it. Both have plus and minus' but I can tell you i moved from a canon 60D to a NEX5R and I am really happy with it. Plus, do to it's size it gets used a whole lot more.

try this link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmwEQB0KM8U

The X100s just like the XE-1 and the X-PRO-1 will exceed any present NEX camera, for image quality, color and high ISO. But the XE-1 and the X-PRO-1 are not quite up to the level for AF, despite some firmware updates to correct this.

IMHO the OP should wait for the NEX-7N, or if he likes having a fixed lens, buy the Fuji X100s.

Astrophotographer 10
Senior MemberPosts: 4,627Gear list
Like?
In reply to captura, Mar 19, 2013

I have Sony RX100, Nex 6, Fuji XE1 with 18-55 and 35 F1.4 and Nikon D800E with several Nikon lenses.

For widefield astrophotograhy nightscapes nothing beats a good full frame camera and D800E of course is king.

XE1 is surprisingly good and its not ar behind. Perhaps with a Metabones Speed Booster it may be much the same. The XE1 has terrific low light high ISO low noise performance. Similar to my D800E which is superb.

Nex 6 is new to me so can't comment except on menus and build quality. Build quality seems high, tilt screen is very handy, menus are poor but useable.

Fuji menus are self evident much like Canon/Nikon menu system. The various shooting modes are hidden in settings though on the XE1 and that is a pain at times for me but I am slowly getting used to that. Build quality is fabulous and the camera looks great and feels great to use. Lenses are superb and better than comparable Nikon/Canon at 1/3rd the price. AF is good now after the latest firmware updates and RAW conversion seems solved with the latest Lightroom version.

So Fuji offer a very compelling camera in both XE1 and I am sure X100s will be great.

Colours in Fuji are the best of anyone. But video is poor. RX100 video I find superb. RX100 is also very sharp and has good IQ. Resolution of RX100 on a bright day beats the XE1 with zoom but not the superb 35mm F1.4 lens which is perhaps the highest quality lens I own.

So yeah tough choice. For me I want low light low noise high IO performance so Nex 6 or XE1 are those choices.

I got the Nex 6 to modify it for astro/IR work and also for the time lapse app. Sony has a lot going for it. Lens choices for both Fuji and Sony seem limited but Sony has more available. I am not sure if they are all in the same league as Fuji though. Certainly the Fuji 18-55 is a far more substantial lens than Sony 16-50 but I can't comment on it yet as I haven't really used it.

Greg.

win39
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,925
Like?
Test

It is kind of crazy to ask other people to sort out such similar cameras for you. For instance, someone's experience in an astronomical settings when there is no problem seeing the LCD in the dark does not translate if you use the camera in sunny conditions. You need to do your own test. Handle them yourself. Try to access your most used settings on each of them to see how easy it is. Ask if you can take them outside.

I have a NEX7 which makes beautiful images, but it is not really easy to use if you want to control what it does. The real hardware controls on the Fuji models look mighty good.

Photozopia
Senior MemberPosts: 1,302
Like?
Spoilt for Choice?

Tough decision - there are pluses and minuses with all the cameras you mention. Having owned or used most, I decided on the 6 finally ... but still retain my X100 (original) or should that be 'classic'?

X100 - both original and 's' models offer one thing none of the others do - fixed lens/silent shooting.

The other X models v Nex 6/7 is a trade off between features, lens choice, styling, etc. Underneath they offer similar performance (but Nex-6 has PDAF, 7 has more MP) and it really is buyer's opinion.

Quality - both in image terms and camera construction - is pretty equal.

captura
Like?
In reply to Astrophotographer 10, Mar 20, 2013

I have Sony RX100, Nex 6, Fuji XE1 with 18-55 and 35 F1.4 and Nikon D800E with several Nikon lenses.

For widefield astrophotograhy nightscapes nothing beats a good full frame camera and D800E of course is king.

XE1 is surprisingly good and its not ar behind. Perhaps with a Metabones Speed Booster it may be much the same. The XE1 has terrific low light high ISO low noise performance. Similar to my D800E which is superb.

Nex 6 is new to me so can't comment except on menus and build quality. Build quality seems high, tilt screen is very handy, menus are poor but useable.

Fuji menus are self evident much like Canon/Nikon menu system. The various shooting modes are hidden in settings though on the XE1 and that is a pain at times for me but I am slowly getting used to that. Build quality is fabulous and the camera looks great and feels great to use. Lenses are superb and better than comparable Nikon/Canon at 1/3rd the price. AF is good now after the latest firmware updates and RAW conversion seems solved with the latest Lightroom version.

So Fuji offer a very compelling camera in both XE1 and I am sure X100s will be great.

Colours in Fuji are the best of anyone. But video is poor. RX100 video I find superb. RX100 is also very sharp and has good IQ. Resolution of RX100 on a bright day beats the XE1 with zoom but not the superb 35mm F1.4 lens which is perhaps the highest quality lens I own.

So yeah tough choice. For me I want low light low noise high IO performance so Nex 6 or XE1 are those choices.

I got the Nex 6 to modify it for astro/IR work and also for the time lapse app. Sony has a lot going for it. Lens choices for both Fuji and Sony seem limited but Sony has more available. I am not sure if they are all in the same league as Fuji though. Certainly the Fuji 18-55 is a far more substantial lens than Sony 16-50 but I can't comment on it yet as I haven't really used it.

Greg.

I believe that we are in agreement Greg, but just to clarify:

The discussion so far has included the Fuji X100s but not the older X100 you just mentioned. The X100s is a very different camera having some major changes, which may put it ahead of the other choices, IMHO.

The XE-1 as I said, is still a bit slow to AF, and as you said, is not great for videos. Having said that, there is still the overheating issue for some of the NEX models, when making videos. Possibly including the NEX_6?

Steve

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads