D600 price drop soon. Also to be replaced by new D600S model

Started Mar 18, 2013 | Discussions
webrunner5
Contributing MemberPosts: 661Gear list
Like?
Re: If this is true......
In reply to Bob from Plymouth, Mar 19, 2013

Nikon is not going to recall all D600 cameras already sold. Get a grip. No pun intended.

webrunner5's gear list:webrunner5's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm X-A1 Canon EOS 5D Mark II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
lock
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,852
Like?
How about 'too expensive' and more than half..
In reply to Dcjones, Mar 19, 2013

..causet that is what you are saying. Do you seriously believe they will fix that many cameras? They will avoid as many claims as possible. If your story holds, only buyers of the new d600 will profit. The rest will be begging...

Prairie Pal
Senior MemberPosts: 2,208Gear list
Like?
Re: D600 price drop soon. Also to be replaced by new D600S model
In reply to Si Gif, Mar 20, 2013

I just got an eMail from Nikon Service Center where my D600 is. They want to know if I am willing to pay $12.99 for them to add an "s" to the logo on the camera. I replied, "Go for it! How much extra does it cost for a new serial number?"

I would go for their $199.99 special, where they grind off the old logo and replace it with a Canon plate.  Problems solved!   Juuuuust Jokingggg

ageha
Contributing MemberPosts: 651Gear list
Like?
In reply to Dcjones, Mar 20, 2013

I was talking to a Nikon sales rep. today that seems to know some inside info on the goings on with the D600.

He thinks that Nikon is going to sweep the current dust issue under the rug by replacing the D600 with an "upgraded" D600S model that will be announced soon. That will fix the dust issue but have some upgrades to "save face" like the CAM3500, and 1/8000 shutter speed. This will make the new camera be distinctly different than the old D600 so they can quietly discontinue the D600. They will then keep the D600S at the same price drop the old D600 price to clear the stock and then discontinue them.

It seems that they can not fix the issue with dust in current D600. Even the new units are experiencing the issues even after they acknowledged that it is prone to "dusting." There is obviously a design flaw that precludes a simple fix.

Sales reps don't have any insight in upcoming models. Not gonna happen anytime soon but the 1st of April is coming for sure soon.

ageha's gear list:ageha's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon 1 V1 Sony Alpha DSLR-A390 Nikon D600 +17 more
karlreed
Contributing MemberPosts: 628Gear list
Like?
In reply to Brian Caslis, Mar 20, 2013

primeshooter wrote:

Dcjones wrote:

I was talking to a Nikon sales rep. today that seems to know some inside info on the goings on with the D600.

Words fail me. I am seriously questioning why I should purchase another D800 body to try and get one that works...

Seriously. You believe this? Someone with 10 posts puts something like this up and you believe it? Send me your address, I have a bridge I'd like to sell you.

Do you really? I assume you have an Australian accent, and, its the Sydney Harbour Bridge, I'm told we sell lots of them in London!

-- hide signature --

karl reed

karlreed's gear list:karlreed's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +4 more
ageha
Contributing MemberPosts: 651Gear list
Like?

Some background, I am not here to troll as some have accused me of. I am just here to research my next camera. I am trying to figure all this out like the rest of you. I have been reading about this issue and struck up a conversation with a local camera rep about this dust problem who basically said not to buy the D600 and wait until the problem is fixed. I don’t know how much he knows; weather he is BSing me or not but his intentions seemed sincere.

Maybe I should clarify the conversation to not get the board in an uproar. The only info that he “claimed” to know from Nikon is that the fix (shutter box replacement) is too expensive and that Nikon will need to reconfigure something to actually fix the problem in a cost effective manner. I would think the rest of my post stating what he said is just his conjecture (which in my opinion also makes sense-- see below). My apologies for not making this clear up front.

It does make a lot of sense that the shutter replacement (which is what they are doing to actually “fix” the problem) is too expensive of a fix for the camera and that Nikon will not continue to manufacture a camera with such an expensive flaw to fix.

Just think about it, put yourself in Nikon’s shoes for a minute. You have a camera (the D600) that has an obvious flaw in the majority of the units; of which the flaw is VERY WELL KNOWN and your customer base is growing more and more angry and are sending in their cameras for services at your expense. Your choices are following:

1. Continue to produce a camera that a majority of the units will comeback for either repetitive cleaning until the warranty is done (at Nikon’s expense), or an expensive shutter replacement (at Nikon’s expense). Both of which will probably negate the profit margin of the unit while also reducing the demand for the product. And at the same time take a hit to your reputation. Would you want to continue to produce these units? Anybody with an ounce of business sense would not keep manufacturing this product and work on a fix.

2. Or would you alter the design of the units? If it was an easy “fix” like a Quality control issue, Nikon would have already done it and the new units would not be “dusting” -- but they are. It does seem like more drastic measures are needed so according to this guy, they are most likely working on an update such as a “refresh D600s.”

It makes more sense to fix the design and sell it just as the D600, no new model is needed for that and they should have done it already months ago.

ageha's gear list:ageha's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon 1 V1 Sony Alpha DSLR-A390 Nikon D600 +17 more
tissunique
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,202
Like?
Re: I find it less than credible because...
In reply to SethG, Mar 20, 2013
tissunique
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,202
Like?
Re: I find it credible
In reply to tissunique, Mar 20, 2013
SethG
Contributing MemberPosts: 880
Like?
Re: I find it credible
In reply to tissunique, Mar 20, 2013

Why do you find it credible? It's way outside of anything Nikon's done before. And even though, conceptually, it seems like it's pretty simple to replace one part with another part, they still have to do extensive testing to make sure there are no unforeseen issues. It would take many months to get something like this out.

There MAY be a D600s in late 2014 (or a D610) but that's the earliest we'll see anything.

-- hide signature --

- Seth -

Nigel Ward 2
Regular MemberPosts: 107
Like?
Re:Not true
In reply to ageha, Mar 20, 2013

My friends in Nikon say this is not true.

If the camera has a "quick fix" when you send it in...then all Nikon have to do is supply new batches with a new shutter box and the problem is solved...no need to bring out a new model with different body shape.

Doing what the original post states so soon would destroy part of the customer base, as it would affect the credibility of the Nikon models.

From what I have heard..there are enough problems in Nikon regarding the Coolpix A - now with that camera....I would believe that they would drastically change, partly because of the bad press it's getting.

The D600 overall has been received very favourably (like the D800 with it's faults)

Minor tweaks that we won't be aware of, and that's it I'm afraid.

Josh152
Senior MemberPosts: 1,192
Like?

He thinks that Nikon is going to sweep the current dust issue under the rug by replacing the D600 with an "upgraded" D600S model that will be announced soon. That will fix the dust issue but have some upgrades to "save face" like the CAM3500, and 1/8000 shutter speed. This will make the new camera be distinctly different than the old D600 so they can quietly discontinue the D600. They will then keep the D600S at the same price drop the old D600 price to clear the stock and then discontinue them.

It seems that they can not fix the issue with dust in current D600. Even the new units are experiencing the issues even after they acknowledged that it is prone to "dusting." There is obviously a design flaw that precludes a simple fix.

A D600S with two features that were quite obviously very intentionally left out to help  get people to pay the extra for the D800 is very very unlikely.   If Nikon wanted to quietly make the dust issue go away all they have to do modify the design of the current shutter and /or source them from someone else who isn't going to over lubricate them. Then just make all New D600s with the new shutter and quietly replace the shutter in any old D600s the come in for service.

Fogsville
Contributing MemberPosts: 532
Like?
This is the same as yellow journalism.....

If the OP wants to post factual information (i.e, the name of the Nikon rep and the store he/she was in and some other 'real' information) than that is one thing.  But to post innuendo and with a thread title claiming only: "D600 price drop soon. Also to be replaced by new D600s model" could even be considered legally as libelous.  Just because someone posts anonymously doesn't protect them from making false statements (whether implied as "true" or not.)  A corporation which feels it has been falsely represented in respect to any financial potential and future sales can come down hard on this sort of stuff.  It's why they have NDAs in the first place.

This reeks of typical tabloid journalism.  No facts and nothing very specific; instead just a sensational headline in order to ruffle feathers and sell newspapers.  It's called 'yellow journalism.' Next time, the OP might want to think first before they make a headline that was really only posted to grab attention to themselves and raise some irresponsible speculation.  DPReview is being equally complicit since these sorts of threads draw attention to their forums and creates revenue.

1w12q312qw1
Contributing MemberPosts: 732
Like?
Welcome to the INTERNET
In reply to Fogsville, Mar 20, 2013

If the OP wants to post factual information (i.e, the name of the Nikon rep and the store he/she was in and some other 'real' information) than that is one thing. But to post innuendo and with a thread title claiming only: "D600 price drop soon. Also to be replaced by new D600s model" could even be considered legally as libelous. Just because someone posts anonymously doesn't protect them from making false statements (whether implied as "true" or not.) A corporation which feels it has been falsely represented in respect to any financial potential and future sales can come down hard on this sort of stuff. It's why they have NDAs in the first place.

This reeks of typical tabloid journalism. No facts and nothing very specific; instead just a sensational headline in order to ruffle feathers and sell newspapers. It's called 'yellow journalism.' Next time, the OP might want to think first before they make a headline that was really only posted to grab attention to themselves and raise some irresponsible speculation. DPReview is being equally complicit since these sorts of threads draw attention to their forums and creates revenue.

n.t.

reginalddwight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,003Gear list
Like?
Re: This is the same as yellow journalism.....
In reply to Fogsville, Mar 20, 2013

This is a photography forum and not a news organization.

If anyone naive enough to believe the OP, then he deserves to be duped.

Fogsville
Contributing MemberPosts: 532
Like?
Re: Welcome to the INTERNET
In reply to 1w12q312qw1, Mar 20, 2013

How about welcome to the human race...... the interwebs is a mirror.

ChipTz
Forum MemberPosts: 54Gear list
Like?
In reply to Dcjones, Mar 21, 2013

Actually, I have to corroborate with the topic as I just got a glimpse of the new commercials to promote the new D600S that I'll share with you but please do not spread the word...

I AM THE NEW D600S - I AM SPOTLESS

Now more seriously, I don't even think it would be a wise move for Nikon...

-- hide signature --

Have no fear, Chip is here!

ChipTz's gear list:ChipTz's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM +3 more
Higuma
Higuma MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,418
Like?
Touche....
In reply to reginalddwight, Mar 21, 2013

This is a photography forum and not a news organization.

If anyone naive enough to believe the OP, then he deserves to be duped.

It would appear, Sir, that you have a firm grip on reality... You are to be commended....

-- hide signature --

"Life's uncertain..... so always remember to Eat Dessert First"

wasserball
Senior MemberPosts: 2,518Gear list
Like?
In reply to Dcjones, Mar 21, 2013

guys, if you look at Nikon history of bringing out the "S" version, it is between 1 1/4 years (D70-D70s) to 2 1/4 years (D3 to D3s), I suggest that it would not be unusual for Nikon to release the D600S after D600, which has been out for 1 1/2 years already.

wasserball's gear list:wasserball's gear list
Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 AF 1.4x Nikon D3S Nikon D600 Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED MC Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +3 more
crowboy3104
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
In reply to wasserball, Mar 21, 2013

guys, if you look at Nikon history of bringing out the "S" version, it is between 1 1/4 years (D70-D70s) to 2 1/4 years (D3 to D3s), I suggest that it would not be unusual for Nikon to release the D600S after D600, which has been out for 1 1/2 years already.

1.5 years already? Are you sure you have your dates correct in regards to this???

wasserball
Senior MemberPosts: 2,518Gear list
Like?
In reply to crowboy3104, Mar 21, 2013

OK, my bad,  Not familiar with the D600, I saw a bar chart in wikipedia.  Maybe I read it wrong.  The release date was Sep 13, 2012.

wasserball's gear list:wasserball's gear list
Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 AF 1.4x Nikon D3S Nikon D600 Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED MC Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads