What is the best Lightroom 4 book?

Started Mar 18, 2013 | Questions
ThePalindrome
Forum MemberPosts: 93Gear list
Like?
What is the best Lightroom 4 book?
Mar 18, 2013

I'm looking for recommendations on a good book to help improve my images in LR4. I would have expected to find 1000 threads on this, but the forum search turned up nothing. If I missed it, I apologize and ask you to point me to the right thread.

I went to the bookstore today and looked at a couple. I liked one by David duChemin, but it's a bit older, it's from the LR3 era. I couldn't find an English translation so it is probably unknown to most.

What I liked about it was that it's not a technical handbook. It doesn't go through all the menues and tells me what to click were. I'm pretty tech savvy so I don't need that much technical explanations. Instead it focused on images and explained how they could be improved and how this is done in LR3. I hope you understand what I mean.

It also dealt exclusively with the "Developing" module and that's also good, because I don't need the book module and the other things.

Thank you!

ThePalindrome's gear list:ThePalindrome's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Richard D Jacobs
Senior MemberPosts: 1,677Gear list
Like?
Re: What is the best Lightroom 4 book?
In reply to ThePalindrome, Mar 18, 2013

Scott Kelby is very basic and Martin Evening more detailed.

Both are excellent

Richard

Richard D Jacobs's gear list:Richard D Jacobs's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ThePalindrome
Forum MemberPosts: 93Gear list
Like?
In reply to Richard D Jacobs, Mar 18, 2013

Thanks for your answer.

The books you recommended are good, I'm sure, but they're exactly what I'm not looking for. They seem to be very detailed technical compendiums, that tell you exactly what all the features are and how they work. I'm more looking for a book that tells me with what photographic goal in mind (e.g. make this part of the image stand out less/more) I should use a particular feature and then how I can achieve this goal.

I hope I am making any sense here.

BTW, the book about LR3 I was looking at that I liked is calles "Vision and Voice" in English.

ThePalindrome's gear list:ThePalindrome's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8
bigfatron
Regular MemberPosts: 477Gear list
Like?
In reply to ThePalindrome, Mar 18, 2013

'Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 The Missing FAQ' by Victoria Bampton has proved to be a good buy for me. You also get it in eBook formats once you register with the authors website.

bigfatron's gear list:bigfatron's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +2 more
BrotoF
Forum MemberPosts: 50
Like?
In reply to ThePalindrome, Mar 19, 2013

I would suggest this little book on LR4 develop module:

http://craftandvision.com/books/essential-development/

Reilly Diefenbach
Senior MemberPosts: 8,167Gear list
Like?

I recommend the Scott Kelby book, just use the two thirds that apply to you.  The photos he provides and the step by step will make you an expert in a couple of weeks.

Jeff Schewe
Regular MemberPosts: 371
Like?

ThePalindrome wrote:

What I liked about it was that it's not a technical handbook. It doesn't go through all the menues and tells me what to click were. I'm pretty tech savvy so I don't need that much technical explanations. Instead it focused on images and explained how they could be improved and how this is done in LR3. I hope you understand what I mean.

It also dealt exclusively with the "Developing" module and that's also good, because I don't need the book module and the other things.

A self-serving answer (but "correct", none the less) would be The Digital Negative: Raw Image Processing in Lightroom, Camera Raw and Photoshop  by, uh, me :~)

The reason I said "correct" above is that the whole book is about raw image processing. And while there are a few differences between Lightroom and Camera Raw, I highlight those differences but drill down on the raw processing part. I include Photoshop for dealing with those things better done in a pixel editor instead of a raw editor.

What I don't cover is a lot of Lightroom stuff not related to raw processing...like the Map, Book, Web  and Slideshow modules. I also don't cover printing because that will be in the second book, The Digital Print, due 2nd quarter.

So, if it's getting the absolute best from your raw images, you might find it useful. I also make a lot of the example images available for download from the books web site.

-- hide signature --

Regards, Jeff Schewe

richardplondon
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,366Gear list
Like?

If I had to learn LR from a book, I would probably respond best to Martin Evening's style, that I have seen.

However, I find video better for this - step by step on-screen with voiceover I mean, not just some person's head and shoulders talking at you. The free videos by Adobe are quite comprehensive and clear, and you can;t argue with the price. YouTube is quite hit-and-miss in quality, completely scattergun in content, and usually with very little background explanation.

But f you are prepared to consider paying for a video series instead of a book, I will recommend George Jardine's systematic LR tutorials at www.mulita.com first, but also you could look at www.lynda.com, and also  http://www.luminous-landscape.com/videos/lr4_combo.shtml... since Mr Schewe has already put his name forward in the thread (grin - and he has earned that fairly btw)

There are samples to view for each series, to see whether you like the style, or find it grating (e.g. I respect Kelby but cannot enjoy his instructional method). A video makes a lot more sense IMO that a book full of instructional screenshots.

George Jardine is IMO very good on the "why" as well as the "how", and illustrates his points clearly as to how the whole photo is affected pictorially, by following one technical strategy or another.

However, this is all, in its nature, still pure technical instruction.

If you want a book which clarifies more generally what kinds of adjustments and cropping etc make photographs work well VISUALLY - tonal structure, composition, dynamics, proportion, visual tricks and contrasts, all that - I will recommend the less software-specific books of Michael Freeman http://www.amazon.co.uk/Michael-Freeman/e/B001H6O9XA/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_1

and from an older but very canny and wise school, Harald Mante
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=ntt_athr_dp_sr_1?_encoding=UTF8&field-author=Harald%20Mante&search-alias=books-uk&sort=relevancerank

RP

richardplondon's gear list:richardplondon's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX1 Pentax K-5 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +7 more
rtburgess1
Forum MemberPosts: 87
Like?
In reply to Reilly Diefenbach, Mar 19, 2013

Adobe systems has their own training workbook: "Classroom in a Book" for LR4. I like it - available at Amazon

ranalli
Contributing MemberPosts: 839
Like?

ThePalindrome wrote:

I'm looking for recommendations on a good book to help improve my images in LR4. I would have expected to find 1000 threads on this, but the forum search turned up nothing. If I missed it, I apologize and ask you to point me to the right thread.

I went to the bookstore today and looked at a couple. I liked one by David duChemin, but it's a bit older, it's from the LR3 era. I couldn't find an English translation so it is probably unknown to most.

Thank you!

Don't get a book...get a video.  I recommend SLR Lounge's DVDs.  In addition they have samples and tutorials all over their website that are fairly complete IMO.

Paphios
Regular MemberPosts: 395
Like?
In reply to Jeff Schewe, Mar 21, 2013

ThePalindrome wrote:

A self-serving answer (but "correct", none the less) would be The Digital Negative: Raw Image Processing in Lightroom, Camera Raw and Photoshop by, uh, me :~)

The reason I said "correct" above is that the whole book is about raw image processing. And while there are a few differences between Lightroom and Camera Raw, I highlight those differences but drill down on the raw processing part. I include Photoshop for dealing with those things better done in a pixel editor instead of a raw editor.

What I don't cover is a lot of Lightroom stuff not related to raw processing...like the Map, Book, Web and Slideshow modules. I also don't cover printing because that will be in the second book, The Digital Print, due 2nd quarter.

So, if it's getting the absolute best from your raw images, you might find it useful. I also make a lot of the example images available for download from the books web site.

-- hide signature --

Regards, Jeff Schewe

Jeff,

I really got a lot out of your book and also agree that it is a great recommendation.

CrapCamera
Regular MemberPosts: 138Gear list
Like?
In reply to ThePalindrome, Mar 21, 2013

George Jardine  videos http://mulita.com/blog/ are VERY good, or Martin Evenings book.

CrapCamera's gear list:CrapCamera's gear list
Canon PowerShot S80 Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads