D7100 and SDHC card read/write speed: 45 MB/sec vs 90 MB/sec?

Started Mar 18, 2013 | Discussions
Jim Kaye
Senior MemberPosts: 2,597
Like?
D7100 and SDHC card read/write speed: 45 MB/sec vs 90 MB/sec?
Mar 18, 2013

With a 45 MB/sec Sandisk card and 14-bit NEF lossless compressed files, the D7100 can continue shooting and recording files at 2 frames/sec according to my crude testing on my wrist watch (60 files in 30 seconds).  Does anyone know if the frame rate is any higher at these images settings (once the buffer fills) with a 95 MB/sec card?  The faster cards cost about twice as much -- I'm just wondering if I'll see any performance difference if I upgrade (or if the limitation has more to do with how fast the camera can move the data through its own circuitry regardless of the card's write speed)?

Thanks for any input.

Jim

-- hide signature --

Jim Kaye 'I believe that the electronic image will be the next major advance. Such systems will have their own inherent and inescapable structural characteristics, and the artist and functional practitioner will again strive to comprehend and control them.' -- Ansel Adams, 1981

Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
stoneage
Forum MemberPosts: 79
Like?
Re: D7100 and SDHC card read/write speed: 45 MB/sec vs 90 MB/sec?
In reply to Jim Kaye, Mar 18, 2013
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Josiku
New MemberPosts: 15
Like?

72 using the same technique with SanDisk Extreme Pro SDHC UHS-I Memory Card

JimPearce
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,392Gear list
Like?
Reported by scokill, and confirmed by Humanoid...

Very close to 3 fps 12 bit lossless with the 95 MB/second cards. My guess? About 2.35 per second 14 bit lossless. But check your test file sizes - how can a 45 MB/s card write two 28.5 MB files per second?

-- hide signature --

Jim

JimPearce's gear list:JimPearce's gear list
Nikon D7100
Jim Kaye
Like?
In reply to stoneage, Mar 18, 2013

Thanks, stonage, I think you've answered my question.  It looks like your test was done at the same settings I used and you got 3.8 FPS with the 95 MB/sec card (after the buffer filled), which is around twice as fast as I was getting (using a less accurate timing method, to be sure) with a 45 MB/sec card.  So it seems the limitation in frame rate after the buffer fills is mostly due to the write speed of the card rather than the D7100's capacity to push the data through its own circuits.

I appreciate the quick response!

Jim

-- hide signature --

Jim Kaye 'I believe that the electronic image will be the next major advance. Such systems will have their own inherent and inescapable structural characteristics, and the artist and functional practitioner will again strive to comprehend and control them.' -- Ansel Adams, 1981

Jim Kaye
Like?
In reply to Josiku, Mar 18, 2013

72 what?

-- hide signature --

Jim Kaye
Like?

Oh, but wait, stoneage.  Were you at 12-bit lossless compressed or 14-bit?

Jim

-- hide signature --

Jim Kaye
Like?
Re: Reported by scokill, and confirmed by Humanoid...
In reply to JimPearce, Mar 18, 2013

That was as near as I could count them, but I admitted my method was relatively crude.  Stonage reported about 3.8 fps with lossless compressed but not sure if 12-bit or 14-bit.

Jim

-- hide signature --

JimPearce
Like?
Timing is reported to nearest hundredth in ViewNX2 Jim...

But I'm questioning whether your target was sufficiently incompressible. That's just a matter of checking the file sizes in ViewNX2.

-- hide signature --

Jim

Nikon D7100
Jim Kaye
Like?
Re: Timing is reported to nearest hundredth in ViewNX2 Jim...

Yes, you're correct to point out the possible problem.  I was shooting with the lens cap on and those files are only about 20 MB -- these NEFs must be quite compressible since there's no detail, which makes them not a very useful test subject for this purpose.  When I shoot with the lens cap off (with the books on the bookshelf in my office as the subject), the files are more like 30 MB and the frame rate is definitely slower than 2/sec.  (Even more reason to go for the faster cards...)

Jim

-- hide signature --

JimPearce
Like?
Yes, you should Jim...

The 16 GB cards are $37.95 at B&H - a bargain if you ask me. I think our friend stoneage had his lens cap on too, but you can expect quite an increase in performance.

-- hide signature --

Jim

Nikon D7100
Mark B UK
Senior MemberPosts: 1,097Gear list
Like?
Re: Yes, you should Jim...

Also, with the D7100 having twin card slots, one option might be to buy a fairly small capacity Extreme Pro card and a really cheap, high-capacity slow card for the second slot, then transfer images from fast to slow Shen not shooting.

Mark B UK's gear list:Mark B UK's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +2 more
Josiku
Like?

Frames clicked in 30 seconds, 14 bit raw, M focus, M mode, C high

I just repeated it and clicked 76.  Is that what you were asking?

Josiku
Like?
In reply to Josiku, Mar 18, 2013

After reading some of the other posts about leaving the lens cap on, I tried it and clicked 86 frames in 30 seconds.  That should be a good comparison to your 60.

Humanoid
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,464Gear list
Like?
Re: Reported by scokill, and confirmed by Humanoid...

JimPearce wrote:

Very close to 3 fps 12 bit lossless with the 95 MB/second cards. My guess? About 2.35 per second 14 bit lossless. But check your test file sizes - how can a 45 MB/s card write two 28.5 MB files per second?

-- hide signature --

Jim

I looked at my time stamps on my images while shooting a burst and its 7 fps with the sandisk extreme pro sdhc 95 12 bit lossy and AF-C set for release.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Ray

Humanoid's gear list:Humanoid's gear list
Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 +7 more
PepsiCan
Contributing MemberPosts: 739Gear list
Like?
Re: Uh...no!
In reply to Mark B UK, Apr 16, 2013

Mark B UK wrote:

Also, with the D7100 having twin card slots, one option might be to buy a fairly small capacity Extreme Pro card and a really cheap, high-capacity slow card for the second slot, then transfer images from fast to slow Shen not shooting.

That strategy will work but for other readers it would be good to point out some disadvantages:

- You can't use your camera while doing this copying.

- The slowest card determines the write speed for both slots when you write to both cards at the same time (or when you're copying your data across).
- Think about this: you just spent $1200 / €1200 / £1100 on a camera and then you're going to not spend €20 extra to get the right card?

PepsiCan's gear list:PepsiCan's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +5 more
mosswings
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,010Gear list
Like?
In reply to PepsiCan, Apr 16, 2013

PepsiCan wrote:

Mark B UK wrote:

That strategy will work but for other readers it would be good to point out some disadvantages:

- You can't use your camera while doing this copying.

- The slowest card determines the write speed for both slots when you write to both cards at the same time (or when you're copying your data across).

Then all one need do is keep the slow card in your camera bag until you are ready to transfer.

This is, after all, being proposed as a rough-and-ready back-at-the-hotel-before-bedtime backup methodology that, as long as you don't have more than about 300GB of data to backup, is cheaper than buying a pocket photo vault like an UDMA2...even if you buy the empty case and load your own drive.

That superfast main card should probably not be smaller than 16GB - that will give you 300 Lossless/RAW 14 bit shots, enough for a busy day or two's shooting. It'll take maybe 15 minutes to copy, but that's not long.

mosswings's gear list:mosswings's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +1 more
krikman
Regular MemberPosts: 308Gear list
Like?
In reply to mosswings, Apr 16, 2013

My time and security of my photos costs more than $40 difference. With Sandisk 95 mb/s D7100 is as speedy as you'd like. No speed problem at all.

WorldofZAP
Junior MemberPosts: 32
Like?
In reply to krikman, Apr 17, 2013

I picked up two SanDisk extreme pro 16GB 95MB/s cards with BestBuy matching Amazon's price of $40.70. Was shooting RAW+JPG until LightRoom updated support for the 7100. May continue to shoot RAW+JPG so I can use my ipad to browse the JPGs. I wonder if BestBuy will match B&H?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads