MAC users, Aperture 3 or Lightroom 4?

Started Mar 18, 2013 | Discussions
edwardaneal
Senior MemberPosts: 9,101Gear list
Like?
Re: pineapple
In reply to losangeles, Mar 19, 2013

losangeles wrote:

So - you do know that there are many plugins for Aperture that do correct for lens distortion dont you?

Fantastic! Which ones are you using?

the only lens I shoot with is the Sigma 30mm f/2.8 - it only has .03% barrel distortion which I have never found to be objectionable so I have not bothered downloading any of the plugins

for lenses with more distortion you can find several good plugins here Aperture plugins

I have heard that PTlens is one of the best for lens distortion.

-- hide signature --

NEX-7 & Sigma 30mm f/2.8
NEX-5 & 18-55 OSS
HVL-F20AM Flash
And a spare black 18-55

edwardaneal's gear list:edwardaneal's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ROFLOL
Regular MemberPosts: 156Gear list
Like?
In reply to edwardaneal, Mar 19, 2013

Thank you edwardaneal, I was totally unaware of A3 plugins. Very helpful.

ROFLOL's gear list:ROFLOL's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS
spacemn
Contributing MemberPosts: 830
Like?
In reply to edwardaneal, Mar 19, 2013

edwardaneal wrote:

ROFLOL wrote:

Please point me towards a link to Aperture plug-ins for lens correction. I'd like to be able to correct lens barrel distortion. This would be VERY helpful. Thank you.

look here

aperture plug -ins

at the bottom of the page you will find, Ptlens, fixlens & lensfix - any of these will correct lens distortion

-- hide signature --

NEX-7 & Sigma 30mm f/2.8
NEX-5 & 18-55 OSS
HVL-F20AM Flash
And a spare black 18-55

Correct, but they will also convert the file to TIFF, which is not as optimal...so the plug-ins are not nicely integrated in LR.

I used Ptlens, although it did the job I wasn't happy with it converting my files to TIFF that are HUGE (for unlimited use this plug-in will cost you some money as well).

tom9black
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
Re: LR4 Lens Profiles ???
In reply to dark13star, Mar 19, 2013

http://www.piraccini.net has Aperture and LR4 sony nex and alpha profiles.

bzx
bzx
Regular MemberPosts: 213Gear list
Like?
Re: LR4 Lens Profiles ???
In reply to ROFLOL, Mar 19, 2013

Rumours say it's due to be out, but nobody knows when. It could be that they're going to announce it in June on their yearly event... try Lightroom until then (and you won't go back

-- hide signature --

t[+]m

bzx's gear list:bzx's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +2 more
academytim
Regular MemberPosts: 125Gear list
Like?
A3 vs LR4
In reply to bzx, Mar 19, 2013

I have both A3 and LR4.  I use A3 99% of the time due to ease of use/etc.  The one thing that I will give LR the advantage on is noise reduction.  I use a plugin for Aperture called "noise ninja" that does a pretty good job, but it even isn't as good as the noise reduction built into Lightroom.  I very rarely shoot over ISO800, so its pretty rare that I have any real noise at all anyway.  On those rare occasions that I shoot at 1600 or 3200, LR4 does do a much better job at removing noise while preserving detail.

academytim's gear list:academytim's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a6000 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS +2 more
MPA1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,670Gear list
Like?
Re: A3 vs LR4
In reply to academytim, Mar 19, 2013

academytim wrote:

I have both A3 and LR4. I use A3 99% of the time due to ease of use/etc. The one thing that I will give LR the advantage on is noise reduction. I use a plugin for Aperture called "noise ninja" that does a pretty good job, but it even isn't as good as the noise reduction built into Lightroom. I very rarely shoot over ISO800, so its pretty rare that I have any real noise at all anyway. On those rare occasions that I shoot at 1600 or 3200, LR4 does do a much better job at removing noise while preserving detail.

Nik Dfine is excellent for noise removal in Aperture.

LTZ470
Forum ProPosts: 10,392
Like?
Re: MAC users, Aperture 3 or Lightroom 4?
In reply to ROFLOL, Mar 19, 2013

LR4…I have used both for a couple months, LR4 much better for jpegs IMHO...

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

academytim
Regular MemberPosts: 125Gear list
Like?
Re: A3 vs LR4
In reply to MPA1, Mar 19, 2013

academytim wrote:

I have both A3 and LR4. I use A3 99% of the time due to ease of use/etc. The one thing that I will give LR the advantage on is noise reduction. I use a plugin for Aperture called "noise ninja" that does a pretty good job, but it even isn't as good as the noise reduction built into Lightroom. I very rarely shoot over ISO800, so its pretty rare that I have any real noise at all anyway. On those rare occasions that I shoot at 1600 or 3200, LR4 does do a much better job at removing noise while preserving detail.

Nik Dfine is excellent for noise removal in Aperture.

Just downloaded Dfine 2.0 trial. Looks promising. Thanks.

Btw...tech sites are reporting that the CTO of Adobe just left to go work for Apple. Could be interesting for future versions of Aperture/Final Cut Pro.

academytim's gear list:academytim's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a6000 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS +2 more
felicity
Regular MemberPosts: 257Gear list
Like?
In reply to ROFLOL, Mar 20, 2013

A question so big, it gets its own website:

http://aperturevslightroom.com

Seriously.  I had the same question when iPhoto burped with the sheer volume of my photos, and I ended up.... doing nothing.  For now.  Waiting to see new Aperture.  It will arrive.

felicity's gear list:felicity's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Sony SLT-A33 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Sony Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50mm F1.4 ZA SSM
rogeriosm
New MemberPosts: 19Gear list
Like?
In reply to felicity, Mar 20, 2013

I agree when some say Aperture now seems a lot like iPhoto. It's very annoying. It's supposed to be a working space, not cloud thing, whatever.

The general treatment Aperture gives to photos it's a lot smoother than Lightroom, Raw wise. But I was forced to migrate once Aperture is not supporting Fuji's x-trans sensor. Let's see how I'll deal with it.

I've played with LR before and honestly I think final jpg images end up sharper. Aperture has this special ability to soften RAW (if you shot Nikon and once compared Capture NX2 and Aperture RAW you know what I'm talking).

rogeriosm's gear list:rogeriosm's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +1 more
vajrasattva
Contributing MemberPosts: 903Gear list
Like?
In reply to ROFLOL, Mar 20, 2013

Neither yet. I think I will go for LR4 as I like Adobe and have seen stunning images created with that program. iPhoto annoys me so it helped sway me.

ROFLOL
Like?
In reply to rogeriosm, Mar 20, 2013

Thanks to all the posters. I now have trial A3 and LR4 on my MAC. I'll try both for the next 30 days. Both seems to have plus and minuses.I like to shoot normal and wide lenses (+ for LR4, lens profiles). I like Apple apps integration (+ A3).  I'll have to discover what's important to me. Rumors persist about A4 coming soon.

I found this interesting A3 blog >  http://www.apertureexpert.com/forum-user/post/2068493   
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS
MPA1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,670Gear list
Like?
In reply to rogeriosm, Mar 20, 2013

The general treatment Aperture gives to photos it's a lot smoother than Lightroom, Raw wise. But I was forced to migrate once Aperture is not supporting Fuji's x-trans sensor. Let's see how I'll deal with it.

Interestingly I did the opposite - I binned the entire Fuji system (I had an XP 1 and all 3 primes that were available at the time) and moved to M4/3 in the form of Lumix GH3 as my lightweight alternative to my FX Nikon units.

It's turned out better for me as I prefer the GH3 as a tool. There was no way I was interrupting a workflow developed since the day Aperture was launched and scrapping the investment in learning, software plug in applications and so on, as well as rendering a huge Aperture library more or less redundant.

ROFLOL
Like?
In reply to ROFLOL, Mar 21, 2013
Brian_Smith
Senior MemberPosts: 1,256
Like?

Lightroom.

Quality is great + new Sony cameras are usually supported prior to release - good luck on that with Aperture...

-- hide signature --
DaNPrS
New MemberPosts: 13Gear list
Like?
In reply to Brian_Smith, Mar 21, 2013

I might be a bit late to the party but personally I prefer Lightroom. I tried Aperture and though it was ok I found that having to deal with Apple's "folder" system or lack there of was a pain. I had to export a pic everytime I needed it and that meant opening the program ...

Lightroom works off of the existing folders and can even create them. backing up is the same story, Aperture you have to back up one large file that only Aperture/iPhoto can read where as Lightroom works off of the conventional folder system found on Windows, Linux and OSX machines. This is the same reason I also left FCP, it's much easier to back up a single folder or to find that one picture without having to open a program to do so. We have a file explorer for a reason the way I see it.

As for performance, I can't really say, once I found out about the issue I menioned above I serched for an alternative and changed to Lightroom so I only had Aperture for 2 months or so. I'm quite content with my decision though. In addition, it's Adobe so if I end up getting Photoshop in the future it should integrate very well.

And if I get a Windows machine I can also transfer all my work much easier then if it was in a proprietary file system. Which I plan on doing, getting tired of the locked down ways of my current PC manufacturer... I do IT

DaNPrS's gear list:DaNPrS's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 +2 more
redsim74
Senior MemberPosts: 2,146
Like?
For me... Aperture

I prefer the workflow and organisational capabilities.

Jefenator
Senior MemberPosts: 1,352Gear list
Like?
In reply to DaNPrS, Mar 21, 2013

I feel better covered for the long haul with Adobe. Plus, the highlight & shadow recovery with LR4 is off the hook!

I read a pretty convincing opinion from a longtime Aperture proponent who was starting to get fed up with all the secrecy and apparent lack of motivation for releasing an update to version 3. That was last spring...

http://photofocus.com/2012/05/29/heres-why-im-seriously-considering-a-permanent-switch-to-adobe-lightroom/

Jefenator's gear list:Jefenator's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EOS M Sony Alpha 7 Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
iceccream
Regular MemberPosts: 106
Like?

i used aperture initially, but after experiencing extreme difficulty with it's abysmal/buggy/amateurish/random network storage support, i switched to lightroom and haven't looked back.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads