How to select focal point on D7100?

Started Mar 18, 2013 | Discussions
Mia2
Regular MemberPosts: 159
Like?
How to select focal point on D7100?
Mar 18, 2013

On my D90, I assigned the function button to select a focal point.

Just got back from Best Buy and played around with the D7100, went into the menus and couldn't find the option to do this when 'assigning function button'. What am I missing?

I like to be able to choose my focal points and not have the camera choose for me.

Thanks!

Nikon D7100 Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Fred Mueller
Senior MemberPosts: 2,345Gear list
Like?
Re: How to select focal point on D7100?
In reply to Mia2, Mar 18, 2013

set lock/unlock lever around 4 way controller to "unlocked" = "dot"

use 4 way controller

the only selection you make in the menu system is number of selectable focus points (custom setting a6 on my D600, choice of 11 or 39) - not sure but likely close to same in D7100. note you can't be in "auto" AF

Fred Mueller's gear list:Fred Mueller's gear list
Nikon D600
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
creaDVty
Contributing MemberPosts: 621Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mia2, Mar 18, 2013

Hi Mia2.  On the D7100, you can control AF several ways:

1. If you want to choose the AF point then change the area to single.  You hold down the button on the AF lever then you use the front dial to rotate the AF area mode to single (or any other mode such as auto, 3d, dynamic 9, dynamic 21, or dynamic 51.  Note d-9, d-21, d-51 and 3d only work if you are using continuous autofocus (AF-C).

2. You can change the AF mode from single to continuous to auto.  You hold down the button on the AF lever then rotate the rear dial to choose AF-S (single), AF-C (continuous) or AF-A (will choose single unless the subject moves in which case it will switch to continuous).

3. As Fred mentioned, Option a6 changes the AF points from either 11 or 51.  If you use 11 but are on AF-C and one of the dynamic modes or 3d area mode, it can still use the other AF points (not just the 11 AF points).

The function of the Fn button can be changed (option f2) but none of the options are for changing the AF points.  however, if you assign the number of AF points to the top item in My Menu, you can change the Fn function to access the top item in My Menu and that way have Fn access to that option.

-- hide signature --

www.BetterFamilyPhotos.com
TTL Flash Tutorial and over 400+ other articles for taking better candid and family photos.
http://betterfamilyphotos.blogspot.com/p/better-family-photos-index.html

creaDVty's gear list:creaDVty's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Olympus Stylus 1 Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro +10 more
MikeHS
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
In reply to Fred Mueller, 11 months ago

Fred Mueller wrote:

set lock/unlock lever around 4 way controller to "unlocked" = "dot"

use 4 way controller

the only selection you make in the menu system is number of selectable focus points (custom setting a6 on my D600, choice of 11 or 39) - not sure but likely close to same in D7100. note you can't be in "auto" AF

OK I'm on a learning curve with this camera - I can only select a single focal point with AF turned odd, am I missing something or does this mean that selecting a single focal point can only be done in MF mode and therefore can only be used to determine exposure and not focus?

Regards

Mike

MikeHS
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
In reply to MikeHS, 11 months ago

Just seen CreaDVty's post about using the front control dial, problem solved.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads