From your online shopping experiences..

Started Mar 18, 2013 | Questions
jc48375
Junior MemberPosts: 44
Like?
From your online shopping experiences..
Mar 18, 2013

I got this package from a well-known camera seller from NYC -

There was no damage to the shipping box or other contents inside the box...

Obviously, the retail package was dropped before being placed inside the shipping container....

How would you feel about this? Would you keep the camera (although it had no visible damage and all seems to work fine in my testing this weekend).....

I  thought the seller blatantly and audaciously thought it was acceptable to the customers to receive a dropped merchandise (an expensive one)...

The email exchanges with the company is slow, although they are courteous, although I have to hop on the plane tomorrow AM for a 2 week photo shoot overseas. They offered to next day air me for an exchange (won't make it, I leave 6:00AM for the airport).. Would you still trust this company?

cheers,

James

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Ryan Williams
Contributing MemberPosts: 592
Like?
Re: From your online shopping experiences..
In reply to jc48375, Mar 18, 2013

Would I keep it? No. Who knows what kind of internal damage has been caused by the shock of hitting the floor. It might be fine for now, but the overall longevity of the camera or lens might be compromised due to internal components being damaged, knocked loose, etc.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dfstarman
Contributing MemberPosts: 503Gear list
Like?

The company did not pack the box, some low paid clerk probably did.

If they are courteous in trying to resolve it satisfactorily and resolve  in the best way they can, I would say give them the benefit doubt.

Just my opinion

dfstarman's gear list:dfstarman's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V Sony SLT-A77 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus E-M1 +26 more
PeterPrism
Senior MemberPosts: 1,057Gear list
Like?

Damn!

PeterPrism's gear list:PeterPrism's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro
Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,385Gear list
Like?

I don't know which company you are referring to but there is no reason to think they blatantly shipped a damaged box. Boxes can and do get damaged in shipping. This one does not look like it was dropped but instead crushed. The contents are too light to do this damage from a drop but getting crushed somewhere in transit it possible.

From that you report you got a damaged box and nothing else (bad).  I would keep it since it performs as expected. The contents are packed well, and packed so that the box absorbed the shock, not the contents. Since you say you are leaving then just use it. If there was a problem it would show up immediately.

Anyway, that is my take. Just enjoy your camera

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
Virginia Bill
Contributing MemberPosts: 775Gear list
Like?
In reply to Al Valentino, Mar 18, 2013

I agree with Al Valentino: the box was probably damaged during shipping, not dropped. If the camera works properly now (and doesn't rattle when you shake it), it's fine. Use it happily. Camera manufacturers pack their products very securely to withstand worldwide shipping. Fuji packed yours well, and the packing did its job.

Virginia Bill's gear list:Virginia Bill's gear list
Leica Digilux 2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Leica X Vario Leica M8 Pentax K-5 +9 more
Mahmoud Mousef
Senior MemberPosts: 2,363
Like?

I would not keep the cam with a box in that condition, under any circumstances. Except the circumstances of buying second-hand, knowing what you're getting.

Robert Anderson
Senior MemberPosts: 2,261
Like?

Al Valentino wrote:

I don't know which company you are referring to but there is no reason to think they blatantly shipped a damaged box. Boxes can and do get damaged in shipping. This one does not look like it was dropped but instead crushed. The contents are too light to do this damage from a drop but getting crushed somewhere in transit it possible.

From that you report you got a damaged box and nothing else (bad). I would keep it since it performs as expected. The contents are packed well, and packed so that the box absorbed the shock, not the contents. Since you say you are leaving then just use it. If there was a problem it would show up immediately.

Did you even read the original post?

"There was no damage to the shipping box or other contents inside the box...

Obviously, the retail package was dropped before being placed inside the shipping container...."

Damage this severe would have shown on the box it was packed in if it had happened in shipment.

Al Valentino
Like?
In reply to Robert Anderson, Mar 18, 2013

Robert Anderson wrote:

Al Valentino wrote:

From that you report you got a damaged box and nothing else (bad). I would keep it since it performs as expected. The contents are packed well, and packed so that the box absorbed the shock, not the contents. Since you say you are leaving then just use it. If there was a problem it would show up immediately.

Did you even read the original post?

"There was no damage to the shipping box or other contents inside the box...

Obviously, the retail package was dropped before being placed inside the shipping container...."

Damage this severe would have shown on the box it was packed in if it had happened in shipment.

Okay, my mistake. but the contents are packed very well to absorb shock and since everything works and the OP is ready for a trip, i would not hestitate to use it, especailly since there is a record reporting the conditon.

Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
jc48375
Junior MemberPosts: 44
Like?

Thanks to all for your input...

There were other contents in the well-packed shipping box, a Fuji 35mm lens and two remote flash triggers... None had the damages as the camera box, validating my claim that the retail box was dropped (or whatever might have happened) before it was placed in the shipping container.

My question came after reading some feedback on some of the well-known retailers would "accidentally" send out "slightly used" lenses or cameras as new, etc. It never happened to me in the past. I am not so lucky this time, albeit it was a new camera but the box was dropped and dented.... It's difficult to have faith in the company again, specially the email exchange takes a long time (mine from this morning hasn't been returned and nor did the Service Rep offer a number to call...)..

I guess I should not have bought a new camera before a trip; accidents do happen..

But shipping out an obviously damaged box was no accident.

cheers,

James

Al Valentino
Like?

James, it still seems the good news is nothing is damaged. Go with that. problems, if they exist, often are immediate with electronics.

However, one should never buy a camera just before a trip. There is a learning curve to mastering use to get the most out of it. Long ago I purchased the first Nikon D200 from B&H photo in NYC to master it for a trip to alaska to shoot eagles in the winter. the package was perfect but the camera went back to Nikon 5x for various repairs before they replaced it. The good news was that It worked for the trip.

Anyway, a damaged box is not the same as damaged goods. There is a reason why things are packed as they are, to absorb the shock on the product.

DuaneV
Senior MemberPosts: 1,245
Like?

I guess Im on the other end of the spectrum here, in that Im buying a product, not a products box.  Being that I own a few different web sites and do a TON of buying and selling on line, I have encountered this before.  If the items in said box are new, undamaged and in fine working condition, I couldn't care less about the box it came in.

Leswick
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,102
Like?
Re camera
In reply to DuaneV, Mar 19, 2013

@OP

​​Since the camera works, I really see no issues....sure, in the ideal world the box would arrive in good condition.  Agree, you should raise some stink with the company about it.

They offered to next day air me for an exchange (won't make it, I leave 6:00AM for the airport).

Were you expecting to use this camera...wherever you're going ?  Why would you buy this camera so close to the departure ?  I mean, you do recognize how that will effect your photos.

Leswick

brodiemac
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
In reply to jc48375, Jun 3, 2013

well, for me, although the packaging of the item is a big plus, it won't matter anymore as long as the item isn't broken.

happysnapper64
Senior MemberPosts: 4,476Gear list
Like?
In reply to jc48375, Jun 3, 2013

As the problem has been reported, & the seller seems amiable to sending a replacement post haste, I would inform them you intend to use it as you have no option. If problems arise on your trip, sort it out when you get back. Failing that, buy a P&S now for the trip, & try & get them to pay for it. otherwise it seems you will be going away without a camera.

-- hide signature --

lee uk.
There are old pilots, & there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots.

happysnapper64's gear list:happysnapper64's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 60D Olympus PEN E-PL5 Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS +7 more
mgd43
Senior MemberPosts: 3,386Gear list
Like?
In reply to dfstarman, Jun 3, 2013

dfstarman wrote:

The company did not pack the box, some low paid clerk probably did.

If they are courteous in trying to resolve it satisfactorily and resolve  in the best way they can, I would say give them the benefit doubt.

Just my opinion

I agree completely. A shipping clerk packed it, not the CEO of the company. They are offering to next day you a replacement. What more can they do? It's not their fault that you are going away.

mgd43's gear list:mgd43's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon D5200 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +4 more
Lumixdude
Senior MemberPosts: 2,782Gear list
Like?
Hopefully not that New York company begining with an A
In reply to mgd43, Jun 3, 2013

I'd expect more from them if that were the case. A damaged box means damaged what else? Unfortunately if you continue to use it on your trip I don't like your chances of getting it replaced and with good reason. You're just going to have to do without in this case and I'd be pinged off.

Lumixdude's gear list:Lumixdude's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Apple iPhone 4 +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads